Cover Image: The Hiker

The Hiker

Loved this! I’ve read several MJ Ford books and always really enjoy them. Sarah is a successful lawyer and due to get married in her dream wedding. Gemma is estranged from her sister following an argument at their mother’s funeral and the two women haven’t seen each other in five years.
Following a visit from the police, Sarah decides to try and find out what has happened to Gemma, but in the process both their lives change forever.
A great suspenseful read.

This was really weird. It started off ok, but wasn't the kind of story I was interested in at first so I nearly gave up a few times, but there was something keeping me intrigued.

I'm glad I stuck with it as it really pulled me in and there were so many psychotic twists I got dizzy!

It was all very farfetched as there were way too many things happening, but it was well written and definitely worth the read.

Dark and creepy. A sister sets out to find out what happened to her sister who went missing and is met with a deeply distrusting community of people who may not be as open with the information about her sister as they could or should be. Interesting read.

Gemma Kline is missing after she sets off on a solo hike. Her sister Sarah travels to the town she was last seen and tries to track her steps. But the locals do not want to help her. Sarah has to consider what's really going on in this town and why are the locals trying to hide secrets? Ultimately, what happened to her sister?

A good read, gripping and moves along at a good pace. Really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading more from the author.

This is my first read by MJ Ford and I really enjoyed this grip lit about two sisters. I do agree with the other reviews though that the contents of the story didn’t quite match the title and cover of the story - I had envisaged a story about a hiker who disappears with lush description about hiking and mountains like Lucy Clarke’s The Hike. That isn’t quite what happens here, nonetheless I did find myself enjoying the story and was captivated as the stakes kept increasing.
This opens with a prologue. We follow sixteen year old Alice who goes out to meet her boyfriend but meets a creature instead. Cut 15 years later and we follow sensible, smart Sarah who is paid a visit by the police. A car has been found in a village burnt with a body inside. It belongs to Mark, Gemma’s boyfriend. Gemma is Sarah’s younger sister who she hasn’t spoken to for five years since their mother’s funeral. The police are investigating what happened to Mark and trying to track down Gemma who has vanished. When Sarah later receives a postcard from Gemma she feels compelled to go down the village to find out what happened to her and starts an investigation of her own.
The story is a dual narrative. We get the present arc via Sarah and via Gemma we find out what happened in the past. Gemma and Mark are struggling to make ends meet and when Mark is beaten up by their landlord’s criminal son they’re desperate for money. Mark finds a scheme. Blackmailing drug dealers who are growing drugs in a village near the Pennies.
It is with nail biting tension that the narratives meet at the end for a thrilling showdown. My jaw was on the floor! The book is such a rollercoaster ride. Unexpected and unpredictable. The first half was slow burning but I found the sisters relatable and engaging that I was hooked through and through. I felt myself going along with them even if I didn’t agree with their actions. I did have a few questions though at the end and do wish some threads had been tied up more neatly. In conclusion this is a riveting, unpredictable read set in a creepy, sinister village but at the core this is about the love of two sisters.

I enjoyed this atmospheric thriller, set in a remote northern village with a history of missing girls and large animal sightings I was intrigued from the start.

This book has dual narratives and a split time period with lots of mystery and drama in both. The ending was not what I was expecting and I didn't see the twist coming.

A real twisty thriller, I really enjoyed this book. It’s unpredictable, with characters that you route for, which keeps the pages turning, would absolutely recommend!

A very good read
It’s the first I’ve read from this author but it won’t be the last
You will definitely not want to put this book down
Thanks NetGalley

This suspense novel follows Sarah as she travels to a small British town to try and find out what has happened to her estranged sister, after police tell her that the sister is missing and her boyfriend found dead in a burnt out car.

I enjoyed this read! The mystery builds slowly and is told over two perspectives - the present day with Sarah, and the past with her sister Gemma. Thus the reader kind of watches in real time as Gemma's fate unfolds, as well as Sarah's mission to uncover what that fate is. This style of storytelling can be hit or miss for me - either the flashback timeline pulls you out of the suspense and feels like a pause, or it adds to the suspense and drives the story forward. I definitely felt like this one was the latter.

I have to say I think this book is pretty different from what I expected from the title and cover material, and I think it's wildly misnamed, given there are no actual hikers in the story and none of it really has anything to do with hiking. I somehow thought it was going to be some kind of "locked room" style story with a group of hikers (yes I suck at reading synopses lol) and it is totally nothing like that.

However, casting expectations aside, I did enjoy it for what it actually was and it gets pretty wild and twisty at the end there after the slower build up. Little disappoints me more than a rushed or lackluster climax after a slow burn suspense, but this one had plenty to it and wasn't over in two seconds, so it really worked for me. Ignore the cover and title and enjoy an interesting, easy suspense story!

I expected this to be more of a fast paced wilderness survival story, but it ended up being a lot more about the past relationship between these two sisters. Maybe it was just because I had different expectations, but it didn't really sustain my attention because of that.

I really enjoyed this book, not read anything from this author, it was shocking and suspenseful and kept you guessing, a real page turner!

Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. A creepy thriller which was well thought out and well delivered. Good writing and characters kept me reading and I’d recommend it as a good thriller!

I received this book as an early release from William Morrow and NetGalley for an honest review.

Sarah and Gemma are sisters who have not talked in a while. Sarah is getting ready for her wedding when she finds out her sister has gone missing, and her boyfriend was found in a burnt car. Sarah goes to the town where Gemma was last seen and starts trying to figure out what happened to her.

This was a good story that kept you guessing. I enjoyed the story and the twists and you wanted to keep on reading to know what happened!

Thanks must go to the publisher, Netgalley and M.J Ford for the ARC of The Hiker. Intriguing, twisty and set in bleak moorlands combine to create a brilliant thriller. Slightly slow in places, but overall a good read.

I loved this book. The writing was so great and the entire vibe of the story was so creepy. I loved the setting and truly adored the characters. Suspenseful and shocking!

I want to start by saying there are too many characters and it was too difficult to keep track of who they were and how they were connected.

It was a fairly quick read, with relatively short chapters; I also enjoyed the dual narrative.

I loved the twist of who was involved and absolutely didn't see it coming. The whole storyline was a bit bonkers and far fetched but rather enjoyable nonetheless.

The only other thing to bother me was what happened with the male police officer (his name escapes me) at the end, I just didn't get it.

*Thanks to NetGalley, Avon Books UK and M. J. Ford for the copy of this book. All views are my own.*

Sarah Kline hasn’t spoken to her sister in five years. So when police officers tell her that Gemma is missing, and Gemma’s boyfriend is dead, she’s not sure what to think.

Sarah heads to the last location Gemma was seen, a remote village in the Pennine mountains.

Frustrated by the lack of results from local police, Sarah starts asking her own questions, dredging up long-buried secrets. But will she find her sister, or will she be the next victim?

The story is told from the viewpoints of Sarah and Gemma, in alternating chapters. It’s weird because Sarah’s chapters are in first person, while Gemma’s are in third person. It’s a bit jarring to be in Sarah’s head, but slightly removed from Gemma.

The dual timeline kept my interest (and kept the plot moving forward), and the relationship between the sisters was realistic.

As far as the mystery, there were some decent misdirections but I wasn’t shocked at the ending. There were also some clever clues and last-minute twists.

Thanks to @netgalley and @harpercollins for the eARC.

Check out this book if you want a solid thriller with layered characters.

Thank you to Netgalley, the publishing house and the author for the opportunity to read a coomplimentary copy of this book in return for a review based upon my honest opinion.

This was a pretty good thriller, but not so much twists and turns, but a slow burn. I enjoyed the point of view of the chacters and the book keep me guessing. It was a pretty quick and enjoyable read. I would definitely check out more books by this author

Sarah and her sister, Gemma, have been estranged for a few years but when she finds out that police haven’t been able to locate her, Sarah tries to find her own answers.

The Hiker has a good plot and the characters are (mostly) likable and believable. But, for most of the story the suspense factor is missing and it often seems to plod along. The last part of the book unexpectedly takes off but in a rather unbelievable way.

This is what bothers me about this book. In a village where everyone knows nearly everything about each other and their activities, it’s hard to believe that no one knew or even suspected anything about one of the residents and the activities of several others. Since more than once the protagonist expresses amazement that information travels quickly through the village, it’s hard to believe that no one had any inkling about the secrets that were being kept.

I have enjoyed other books by M.J. Ford, but this isn’t one of my favorites.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing a copy of this book for review.