Cover Image: The Godparent Trap

The Godparent Trap

I was sold on the synopsis and let me tell you, I WAS NOT LET DOWN. I ***devoured*** this book. The chemistry! The substance and backstory of the MC's ... a recipe for perfection. The author balanced a truly tragic storyline with the romance and I didn't want this one to end.
This book is beautifully written, and the character development was excellent. The characters are genuine, engaging, and hilarious. This book was so freaking cute and sweet.
Thank you to NetGalley and Forever for the ARC in exchange for an honest review

CW: death of loved ones in a car accident, grief, sexism, discussions of religion, bullying (past)

I'll be honest I'm really torn on this one. I adored the writing, it was snappy, witty and handled grief well with sparking in moments that had me cackling. I adored the kids and how this book did not glamorize at all what it's like, the chaos, and also how much aunts/uncles can adore kids.

While everyone grieves differently Rip ultimately came off as mean and misogynistic in the first half of the book and just never groveled or seemed to realize what he was doing. Heterosexual gender norms were really pushed. I wanted to like him but that was difficult to get over. And the religion talk was unnecessary

Steam: 3
Fun and quirky, this story takes you on a wild ride between two people who couldn't be more different. The circumstances surrounding the story is heartbreaking but seeing Colby and Rip in all their banter was so worth the read. I loved the ideal of the concept behind this story as the author puts her own spin on it and it made for an enjoyable read!
I received this book as a gift and let me tell you wow it was so amazing. As you watch them work through their grief and find out that yes love can come from Grief. I truly thought this book was amazing. Their loss for the kids and how they work through everything that was thrown at them was just a pleasure to read. Watching them fall in love was just as wonderful
๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ

Rachel Van Dyken, you have my whole heart!!

The Godparent Trap effortlessly reached every corner of my heart โ€” I devoured this romcom through compassionate tears, heart-aching longing and genuine laughter. I truly, viscerally, felt every emotion explored through these beautifully complex characters and I deeply commend RVD for her meaningful representations of family, love, grief, parenthood, growth and healing.

The Godparent Trap takes the shape of an enemies-to-lovers romantic comedy because while Colby has been helplessly in love with her best friendโ€™s brother since elementary school, Rip misidentifies his distain for Colbyโ€™s seemingly carefree lifestyle as hate, unable to name the propelling force of his emotions as love.

โ€œ๐˜๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ด ๐˜ฅ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ-๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ ๐˜จ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ด ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ข ๐˜ด๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ฑ-๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ-๐˜ช๐˜ฏ-๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ-๐˜ง๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ต ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ณ๐˜ถ๐˜ฃ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ซ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏโ€™๐˜ต ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ถ๐˜ค๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ, ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ฌ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ, ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ.โ€

After the tragic passing of their best friends Brooks and Monica (Ripโ€™s sister), Rip, an accountant and owner of his own firm, and Colby, a food + travel blogger to an online community of over 3 million, are thrust into chaotic family life as the guardians of Viera (3) and Ben (5). In this dual POV, grumpy x sunshine, forced proximity and opposites attract masterpiece, the โ€œenemiesโ€ balance their careers, new roles as parents, co-existing and feelings for each other amidst the insurmountable ebbs and flows of grief. RVD thoughtfully handles grief as it weighs on both the children and adults through poignant and transcendent reflection that will resonate with all readers. She disperses these beautifully throughout the humour, lighthearted sarcasm and hilarious scenes (we are talking a kitchen coated in glittery slime, stuffed animal stovetop fires and perpetually stained clothes), making it a meaningful but not a heavy read.

โ€œ๐˜Š๐˜ฐ๐˜ญ๐˜ฃ๐˜บ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ฅ๐˜ฏโ€™๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฎ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜จ๐˜ฉ๐˜ต. ๐˜š๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ญ๐˜บ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฌ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ธ ๐˜ด๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฎ. ๐˜ˆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ข๐˜ฃ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ? ๐˜ˆ๐˜ญ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜บ๐˜ด ๐˜ง๐˜ฐ๐˜ค๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜บ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ซ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜จ๐˜ฉ๐˜ต. ๐˜ž๐˜ข๐˜ด ๐˜ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ด๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ด๐˜ถ๐˜ช๐˜ต ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ง๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ? ๐˜ž๐˜ข๐˜ด ๐˜ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ด๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฐ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ต?โ€

Fifty-seven annotations later and my only con upon finishing this book is that it took me this long to discover RVD โ€” the authorโ€™s note lists that she is the best-selling author of over 90 books!? If you need me, Iโ€™ll be buried in her backlog.

P.S. Special mention to Banks, RVDโ€™s seriously cheeky, captivating and hilariously entertaining secondary character. Yโ€™all will L-O-V-E him!

***Post on Bookstagram forthcoming! Scheduled for September, 2022.
Thank you NetGalley for providing a copy of this book in exchange of my honest opinion.

This was a very fast-paced book, with loving characters. I truly enjoyed how different Colby and Rip were, in their life but also in how their both dealt by grief in a way of their own.
This romance felt more then just that, and the author succeeded in explaining grief great.
The plot was therefore present, and good, and the characters were absolutely wonderful. I loved how all of them were relevant to the story. During my time reading this, I kept wondering how could they manage parenting this good!!
This was very emotional, but at the same time light.
Colby and Rip have mutual friends but they donโ€™t get along. When tragedy strikes, these two are forced to work together. Can they do it or will they destroy each  other in the process? Is all the built up tension just attraction that they are both fighting?
Wow - I flew through this book in record speed!

#TheGodparentTrap was a good mix of all the things I like in a book. It had lots of emotion and a tragedy. It had an unlikely pairing that had to get through something extremely difficult together. It had an #enemiestolovers romance. It had kids who are sassy and funny and cute (when did I start liking kids in books?!๐Ÿ˜†). It had scenes that made me laugh. It had great side characters. It had steamy scenes. It had heartfelt moments. AND it had a wonderful fluent writing style that was new to me as this was my first book by #RachelVanDyken (but definitely not my last๐Ÿฅฐ).

Now, you might be wondering; if I liked this book so much, why not give 5 stars? There's two simple reasons for that:
1. I wanted the book to be longer. Sure, I flew through it because it was so good, but I wouldn't have minded more details, more pages, more cute, steamy, funny scenes. I just wanted a little more. I had one or two moments where the progress surprised me just a little bit, so I guess I wanted more ENEMIES to lovers, more of the foreplay if you want to say it like that.๐Ÿ˜‚
2. I would have liked a little more grief and scenes where all of them are coping with their loss. Now, don't get me wrong please. The scenes in the book that dealt with the grief were wonderful! It broke my heart seeing these little kids wanting their mummy and daddy and RVD did a great job putting this on the page. What I mean with my 2nd point is I wanted to have more scenes with just Rip and Colby sharing their grief. I absolutely adored the scene with the "burn box" and I would have liked 1 or 2 more scenes just like this one.

All things considered, the book was GREAT and even though I have these two point where I wanted a little more that should NOT hold anyone back from reading and experiencing this book. In fact I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book! This is just my personal reference and I will definitely put Rachel van Dyken on my highly anticipated authors list and will check out her past and new releases from now on.

Total #bookrecommendation !๐Ÿคฉ
If you enjoyed the movie Life as We Know It with Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel, you are in for a treat. The Godparent Trap by Rachel Van Dyken is, at times, a heartbreaking romantic comedy about two opposites who find themselves raising their best friendsโ€™ children after they are killed in an accident. The book begins a few weeks after Colby and Rip take shared custody of their godchildren, and honestly everything is falling apart. Colby is doing her best, and Rip hasnโ€™t grieved so his grief comes out in anger toward Colby. How will these two set aside their differences and do what is best for the kids?

I devoured this book in almost one sitting. In fact, I blame it for my current reading slump as nothing has compared to it. I loved Colby and Rip individually, but together they are magic. The chemistry was a little hard to buy into though. Rip is not nice to Colby from the moment we meet him. Sheโ€™s constantly trying, trying to be a good mom, trying to be someone she isnโ€™t, trying to please Rip, and she fails at every turn. Ripโ€™s grief is slowly eating away at him. He didnโ€™t just lose his best friend. He also lost his little sister. Now, he has to raise his niece and nephew without them and with a woman who drives him crazy. Cue the frustratingly funny moments.

Van Dyken utilizes two of my favorite tropes in bringing Colby and Rip together: forced proximity and enemies to lovers, though the latter is a lighter version of the trope. After Monica and Brooks die, Colby and Rip learn that the pair chose them to raise the kids in their will, not separately, but to coparent. This makes sense from a parent standpoint. These two people are their best friends, the kids are familiar with them, and their personalities balance each other out. To Colby and Rip, it is a nightmare. Not only are they grieving, but they have to learn to live with one another and somehow help the kids through their grief. While this is a romantic comedy, it is also a found family story showing how the four become a tight family unit.

Overall, I really enjoyed The Godparent Trap. It was easy to root for Rip and Colby from the start, even when Rip was being a bit of a jerk. I loved the kids. They were a fantastic addition to the story. Seeing what was happening through their eyes was heartbreaking, but also uplifting. With laugh out loud moments and times where the tissues are required, The Godparent Trap by Rachel Van Dyken is a must read for fans of heartfelt, romantic comedies.
This is such a sweet story about two children who lost their parents. They have no other family besides their godparents (their uncle Rip and their momโ€™s best friend, Colby).

Colby and Rip have to drop everything, move in with the kids, and raise them together.

I donโ€™t normally enjoy sad stories but this one had just the right amount of grief mixed with sweet and funny moments that made it very enjoyable.

This quick read was easily a five star review from me.
SUPER fun! I really enjoyed this story. Rip and Colby were the perfect opposites attract meets new parenting through crisis. RVD is always a favorite of mine and this didn't disappoint.
Don't go into this one expecting a romcom - it has romance and there is comedy but it's an emotional read as well. Van Dyken writes grief so realistically and I found myself tearing up more than once. I just wish I had connected with the romance as much (there didn't seem to be a real reason why these two weren't together) and I also found the timeline a bit confusing since it starts in the middle and works backward and then forward. But no matter - I still found myself rooting for Colby and Rip even though I wish they got together sooner and we got to watch them navigate their new life from there.

Thanks to Forever for the copy to review.
โœจUnpopular Opinion! Book Reviewโœจ

I just finished "The Godparent Trap" by Rachel Van Dyken and while it was fun, there weren't enough twists for me. 2.5โญ

๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ Colby & Rip are thrust together as godparents of two young kids whose parents have passed unexpectedly. They hate each other but after living together and trying to care for the kids, Colby & Rip begin to form a begrudging friendship.

๐Ÿ  I was waiting and waiting for this to be different than the movie "Life As We Know It," but the twist I was waiting for never really happened. The characters fell in love too easily in my opinion, which felt like an unrealistic 180 from hating each other. There was some action towards the end but generally this was not plot-driven enough for me.

๐Ÿ‘ง I did enjoy the author's writing style and I thought the kids' characters were well-written. Rachel is a Mom and you can definitely tell! I also thought the themes of grief and coping were written really thoughtfully.

โš ๏ธ tragic death, hospitalization, car accident

Shareability: readers who enjoy opposites attract and enemies to lovers tropes might like this one

Spice: ๐ŸŒถ๏ธ๐ŸŒถ๏ธ๐ŸŒถ๏ธ

Pairs well with: pancakes ๐Ÿฅž
Summary
Colby is a free-spirited food blogger who travels the world. Rip is her best friend's older brother, a buttoned-up accountant who likes rules and order. When Rip's sister and her husband pass away in a car crash, Colby and Rip are thrown together as the guardians of their two children. Their differences make the new normal even more difficult, not including the fact they had once gone out on a really awkward date and Colby still has a bit of a crush on Rip. But as they work together to take care of two parentless kids that they both love and adore, Rip and Colby learn they may need each other more than they dislike each other.

Review
To me this book was like a cross between The Guncle and Sarah Adams The Temporary Roomie. A forced proximity, enemies to lovers focused around the common denominator of love of family and children. The tension between Rip and Colby was palpable. The kids, Ben and Viera, were adorable and just touched your heart as they dealt with their grief and latched on to their godparents. The side character of Banks was hilarious and I enjoyed the levity he brought to a story that could have been really sad. While it was sad, there was an element of hopefulness. It was a heartwarming story of coping with loss but rebuilding and creating a new family among the sadness.
Just reading the first chapter of The Godparent Trap had me hooked! I knew that it was going to be a book that I loved. This book really hit me in all the feels. One moment I could be smiling and laughing and the next thing I knew I had tears in my eyes. Iโ€™d have to say this one is a roller coaster of emotions, but in a good way.

The unimaginable happens to our main characters and complete opposites. Colbyโ€™s best friend and Ripโ€™s best friend and sister die in a tragic accident and they end up with custody of their little boy and girl. While grieving they must learn to work together and help these kids find a new normal. Things get interesting to say the least.

I loved the tension between Colby and Rip, because it was clear more was starting to develop between them. Even though they both lead different lives and see things differently they try and call a truce for the kids they have to take care of now. It was fun watching them try and figure out to run a household while working and even letting themselves grieve a bit.

Itโ€™s hard to imagine having your life turned upside down like that and having to help two children grieve the loss of the parents they knew and loved. The kids were also definitely one of the amazing aspects of The Godparent Trap. So many times they had me laughing or just wanting to hug them, because I couldnโ€™t imagine losing a parent that young.

The Godparent Trap is a book of dealing with grief, finding a new normal, love, and proof that family isnโ€™t always blood. My only complaint is that this book wasnโ€™t longer. I wasnโ€™t ready to stop being a part of this familyโ€™s life.
This story had potential, but it was a little too similar to the books it was marketed alongside. I love Rachel Van Dyken's previous books, and was excited for her new one but...it just missed the mark. I read and loved Lif'e's Too Short by Abby Jiminez, and it's such a popular book that to write one similar to it, you need to write something unique, make your characters extra memorable, etc. Overall, this one fell flat.
I found this book to be enjoyable. It was a unique set up that was interesting to read. I would recommend this book and author to others looking for an easy read.
The Godparent Trap by Rachel Van Dyken is the most charming book! It had a lot of love, emotional complexity, and romance tied into it. It was a rather quick and enjoyable read; the characters were fantastic!
I found The Godparent Trap to be a cute love story surrounding some very deep topics.

I enjoyed the opposites attract trope. Family life and parenting was expertly depicted.  The kids reminded me of my own.

I struggled in the beginning with Ripโ€™s character - he wasnโ€™t very likable. But as you come to learn more about him, he grows on you.

Colby is a freaking catch!! Glad Rip finally went for it!

I would recommend. Rating: 3.5