Cover Image: The Godparent Trap

The Godparent Trap

I absolutely loved this book. I could NOT put it down. If you've ever seen the move "Life As We Know It" with Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel, then you know exactly what “The Godparent Trap” is going to be about. Colby and Rip are left to care for the two children of Rip's sister/Colby's best friend Monica and her husband, Rip's best friend, Brooks. Colby and Rip are about as opposite as any two people could be: Colby is an adventurous food blogger who has traveled the world and Rip who is a type A, stuck-up accountant. Throughout the novel, Colby and Rip have to find a way to make their new life work for them while also figuring out what it means to be a family with people you never expected and realizing that forever was there all along. Rachel Van Dyken is an excellent author.  The way she wrote grief into the story of Rip and Colby was perfect.  One second they’re laughing and having fun and the next they’re sad and crying as they think of their lost loved ones.  You could see how guilty they feel for being happy and living when the people you love aren’t.

I loved having chapters in Colby and Rip's separate perspectives.  The dialogue is great, and I loved the witty banter between the two. Their text chains are hilarious! I really enjoy dual POVs, especially in rom-coms so the reader is able to see thoughts and feelings from both MCs. I found that I felt connected to both of the characters because of that. The relationship between Colby and Rip was complicated and full of unresolved feelings and miscommunications. I found that I wasn't frustrated with their miscommunications because they were about things that would genuinely happen in real life, rather than the mundane and silly types of miscommunications that can be found in a lot of rom-coms. I think that the unfolding of their relationship happened in the best way possible - through the mutual love of the kids and the best friends that they lost.  I loved the flashbacks with Monica and Brooks. I thought they really helped show the backstory between Rip and Colby. The passion and chemistry between the two was palpable and I was rooting for them to make a life together. I also LOVED the kids and the way that they interacted with both Rip and Colby. I was laughing so hard at some of their interactions.  Banks was SUCH a joyful side character. His scheming to get Colby and Rip together was so kind and lighthearted that I couldn't help but absolutely adore him. I would kind of like to read the story of how he and Heather ended up together. I wished that there were a few more chapters between the end of the book and the epilogue.  I wanted to see a bit more of Rip and Colby’s life in the present.  I would recommend this to readers looking for a breezy, summer read (this will be published in July) who are also fond of enemies-to-lovers and forced proximity tropes.  Thank you to Rachel Van Dyken NetGalley and Forever (Grand Central Publishing) for the opportunity to review this ARC.

I've been provided with an ARC to provide my opinion. Thank you Netgalley and Forever Reads for my copy.
Colby's best friend Monica is going away on a trip with her husband Brooks for a few days and has asked Colby to take care of her two kids while they are away on their vacation.  Monica's brother, Rip,  is  staying with the kids as well.

Colby and Rip do not get along at all as they are very different.  Rip is very particular, meticulous, and tidy and  is an accountant. Colby is a free-spirit who maintains a blog, an active Instagram Account and writes articles for a magazine.   Colby and Rip went on a date a while ago which ended up being a complete disaster, they can hardly stand to be in the same room together. Unfortunately there is an accident and both Monica and Brooks are tragically killed.  Both Colby and Rip have been made guardians of the two children and must figure out a way to get along and not kill each other.

There are some triggers in the book around death, and it had some moments of sadness.  Aside from that, the book is a cute read which would be a great book to read while you are sitting at the pool, by the lake, or on the beach.  It falls under enemies to lovers trope which is often a fun read. It's not a complex story but deals with some complex emotions.  I enjoyed it.  The characters were likable, I was not a fan of the protagonists name and wished better names were selected (there are other reviews that agree with me).  I would rate this book a 7.75.  I do recommend this to anyone who enjoys romcoms.

Oof. I really enjoyed the movie Life As We Know It that has essentially the same storyline, so I went into this optimistically. However, it really didn't deliver for me in the end.

This book had a bit of a sandwich effect for me: I did not like the beginning, I liked the middle, and I did not like the end. From the beginning, I knew the author was going to have to work hard to redeem Rip. I truly do not understand why she had to make him so mean. I understand the whole being opposites thing and him grieving, but he said some absolutely heinous things that would be hard to forgive. However, once we got to the middle, I had warmed up to him a little bit (not entirely, but a little), and I liked their little family.

It initially annoyed me that they went from 0 to 100 real quick in their relationship, but I tried to rationalize it with their situation. I don't think someone like Rip would just change overnight, but whatever. Then, we got to the end which is literally insane and so unnecessary???? Like why don't we throw in another half baked tragedy to this story? It didn't make any sense to me. As for the epilogue, maybe I'm too bitter, but there is no way I would let Heather move in next door if I were Colby.

Overall, there were cute moments in this story, but it didn't add up to a cohesive, enjoyable book for me.

Thank you to Forever and NetGalley for providing me an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.

Goodreads review link (posted 6/9/22): https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4768596683

This cover and the title soooo cute. The story was basically a poorly written rip off of the movie “Life as we know it”. I really wanted to love it but the writing and the dialogue was blah. The characters were insufferable and I didn’t like anyone but the kids (and they didn’t even really have dialogue LOL). Grief was handled so poorly in this book as well.

I would recommend to those looking for a quick light read without too much substance.

Thanks to Grand Central Publishing and NetGalley for providing this ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.

The Godparent Trap follows Colby and Rip as they navigate their new life taking care of their best friends kids. As godparents, Colby and Rip have to work together to make their new situation work. Obviously, there is some tension between the two, as they are complete opposites...but you know what they say...opposites attract.

I really enjoyed the book! It was a quick read with some heavy themes. I was laughing and then crying. I felt as though some parts to the story could have been expanded or just had more information. The story went by so quickly but it was enjoyable.

If you’ve watched the movie “Life As WeKnow It” you need to read this books. This romcom enemies to lovers has it all! I finished it in one sitting !

Hold on to your hearts y'all - Rachel Van Dyken is about to take them on a bit of an emotional ride!

I was really excited to get my hands on this story. Despite the emotional triggers in the premise, I was confident that I was going to be swept away. And I did - in moments and scenes. However, overall I felt like the emotion in this story was told to me rather than shown to me. I wanted a deeper dive, more depth, and more time with Colby and Ben actually building the foundation of their feelings to help me feel more deeply connected to them.

I felt like Ben was mean in the beginning and I didn't really feel like that was resolved. I wanted more...grovel? Something to help heal the careless way he treated Colby at the start. I did really like Colby - though I think I wanted more fire from her. More of her standing up to Ben instead of trying to appease him.

In all, this was definitely an emotional story, but done as a romantic comedy with lighter moments and the messiness of raising small children. I enjoyed it. It was a quick, easy read. But it was missing something that kept me from really investing and feeling it.

I absolutely loved this book! When I first read the premise, I was thinking, huh, this sounds really familiar to a movie I watched previously and really enjoyed which made me excited to check it out. This novel brought so much to the table, it had a lot of the romance tropes I love with grumpy/sunshine, enemies to lovers, and forced proximity! This storyline also touched on some difficult topics and I felt it was so well done, and even with such a heavy main topic of loss/grief, this book surprised me by being extremely funny throughout! I laughed aloud so many times and I felt the author did such a great job capturing life with small children and the unexpected moments that come with parenting. I really liked the main romance and the tension in this book was great! No closed door romance with this one, however the wait is looooong but so worth it! I highly recommend this novel, I’m so grateful to have had a chance to receive a #gifted arc copy from Forever Publishing!!

this was cute and fun. i can see people definitely picking it up for a cute summer read which it will be absolutely perfect for

Who doesn't love a slow burn book that builds up to the most amazing story! Along with quite a few chapters of me sobbing my eyes out!

Rip and Colby have known eachother sense they were kids and now there forced to live together and co-parent after a horrible accident that took there best friends from them. Now they must learn to become a family and navigate parenting when one is a carefree person that loves to travel while the other is by the book and a neat freak with a touch of ocd.

Can they heal there hearts and help the kids to heal while dancing around thier feelings for one another? The Godparent Trap is such a good book and I wanted to choke Rip and Colby sometimes but ended up swooning over them! I absolutely loved Banks! He reminded me so much of Max!

So if your looking for a slow burn book with lots of tear jerker moments and who can forget the funny parts then this will be one you'll want to grab!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to Forever (Grand Central Publishing) and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review! If I could describe this book in just one word, it would be genuine. It was genuinely funny, genuinely sweet, and overall, a genuinely delightful read. I read this so quickly because I just could not tear myself away from these characters and this rom-com that I wouldn't really call a rom-com just because it centers around pretty difficult subject matter such as grief and the deaths of friends and siblings. Not a lot of authors handle grief well and they tend to water it down but Rachel Van Dyken did not shy away from it. Rip's behavior in the beginning, reeling with his own loss, is not excusable but it's raw and honest and ugly and that is what grief is. This book felt like a gut punch at times and I just really loved seeing Rip and Colby, on rocky footing, grow into who they need to be to take care of the kids and be bonded together for those kids, in the love they had for their friend/sibling, and then each other. Such a good book. I HIGHLY recommend it.

4.5 stars.

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘎𝘰𝘥𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘛𝘳𝘢𝘱 follows the aftermath of two deaths, of Colby's bestfriend and Rip's sister and her husband. They're grappling with grief and at the same time making sure the two kids they're godparents to are safe but what's worse? They can't stand each other and there's no way either of them is giving up custody. They're determined to raise the children together, now come what may hell or high water.

- ~ -

Colby and Rip were cute together. They had a rough start but by the end I liked them.

Although, if initial impressions are anything to go by, Rip was well a prick. He was way too harsh on Colby and without any reason. And the way he pulled a 180 on his feelings towards Colby at the end (you'll understand better, what I mean if you read the book) yeah I'm not sure I fall for that. In that account, it might even be a bit of insta-love.

The moments they did share, however, were enough to satisfy me. The jealousy? Tension? Sparks? Denial? I ate that up.
And the kids always add to the plot. Here they added truckloads of humor.

- ~ -

3.87 / 5✩

𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘍𝘰𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 (𝘎𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘊𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘭 𝘗𝘶𝘣𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨) 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘕𝘦𝘵𝘨𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘺 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘥𝘷𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘦𝘥 𝘤𝘰𝘱𝘺 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘣𝘰𝘰𝘬, 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘐 𝘷𝘰𝘭𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘭𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥 & 𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸𝘦𝘥. 𝘈𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘰𝘸𝘯.

The emotions that this one book brings about is astounding. The Godparent Trap by Rachel Van Dyken is heartbreaking, funny, dramatic and spell bounding. Pulling myself away from reading to try to get anything done was nearly impossible. I loved the characters and the setting and basically everything about the story. The slow burn that Van Dyken is known for is front and center with Rip and Colby and they have the perfect love/hate relationship along with the perfect ready-made family. I have truly loved every single book that Rachel Van Dyken has written, but The Godparent Trap has got to be at the top of my list of favorites. Rip and Colby play off each other perfectly and their banter and text messages are off the charts. One supporting character, Banks, is the best friend that everyone would want to have and yet are never available in real life, so his existence on the pages is priceless. There are only two things that I would have modified, first being the names. Every author tries to outdo each other on the names. How many men in their thirties are named Rip? Rip who has two best friends named Brooks and Banks? Then there is Colby, I love unusual names especially for females, but this group of names seemed almost for shock and awe. The second thing is the book is awesome, incredible, and enthralling but then it just ends. There is this slow buildup of fighting and sexual tension and drama then it just ends. Within five chapters there is the climax of the story then it’s over. I was sad to see it end so abruptly. Rachel Van Dyken is such an amazing author that she can take any type of story plot and make it into a bestseller. 5-stars for the amazing, incredible unforgettable book known as The Godparent Trap by Rachel Van Dyken.

I honestly couldn’t stop laughing or even wanted to put it down!

I really loved the method behind Max’s madness and the way Ivy and Jack’s love grew from when they were kids.

It was honestly a brilliant page-turner

A tragic accident leaves two godparents caring for their best friend / sisters children. Me straight laced Rip and perpetually messy Casey are complete opposites and can’t get through a conversation without fighting. This is a story of love, family and compromise. Such a fun book. I liked the premise and the roller coaster that it was. I wanted to punch Rip at the beginning.. also I can’t stand this name . I kept reading it as R-I-p. It was distracting . But the book was fun and I read it in a day. Recommend

I was a little nervous reading this book at first because it reminded me a bit of the movie “Life as we know it”. I realized the more I read the more I saw the differences. Ben and Viera were adorable and seeing how both Rip and Colby were with both of the kids was amazing. They both brought something to the kids that the other was not so good with. I loved seeing how the family dynamics shifted as they both grew into their rolls and sudden parents was heart warming. The history between Rip and Colby was interesting and seeing how they both had different takes on what went wrong in the past was interesting.

The Godparent Trap by Rachel Van Dyken
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Start date: June 3, 2022
Finish date: June 4, 2022
Pub date: July 19, 2022

Thank you Netgalley and Forever Publishing for a digital copy of this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

This was a short & sweet romcom! Very similar to the movie “Life as We Know It” but still a really enjoyable read. This would be perfect to get you out of a reading slump. Enemies-to-lovers, dual POV, forced proximity, best friends brother… this book has all of the above!

TW: grief, death of siblings/friends/parents

Thank you to NetGalley and Forever for providing the ARC.

This book was a good, easy book to read. I feel very weird calling it a romcom, just because the subject matter surrounding how these two characters came together is very heavy. But the book had its cute moments and both Colby and Rip were really great characters.

I know that the point of this book was two people coming together to raise kids in the wake of tragedy, but I was still surprised by how gutted I felt when Colby and Rip received the news. To me, it almost would have been better if the author has picked up the story in the wake of the tragedy as opposed to before. It made it hard to read some of the happier bits because it seemed too soon to be happy, if that makes any sense.

Additionally, Rip was the absolute worst in the beginning. There were moments where I was unsure why Colby wanted to be around him at all, let alone in a relationship with him, because he was so mean to her. And I get that he was grieving in his own way, but he said some truly horrible things to her.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, but there were a few facets that I had trouble with. It's a perfectly acceptable story with some truly amazing characters.

I loved this book! While the premise was familiar - it reminded me of the movie Life as We Know it - everything else took me completely by surprise. This novel was adorable and funny but also touching and sad. The inciting incident was tragic but handled so well. The author skillfully showed the progression of Colby and Rip's relationship while continuing to demonstrate the entire family's grief. The kids were so well fleshed out and there were moments I laughed out loud moments before choking up with tears. The banter was delightful, the pining between Colby and RIP was hot and I truly enjoyed every word. I can't believe it's my first book by this author. It will not be my last!

My favorite romance troupe is from hate to love.

This story is the perfect example. A bad date, unfortunate circumstances put this novel into play.

When Rip's sister and brother in law pass away unexpectedly, he is now responsible for their children with his sisters best friend Colby who he doesn't like at all. A bad date left their fragile relationship in trouble and now they are expected to grieve, take care of the children and learn to coexist.

Rip and Colby both learn their new role and fall deeply in love. One of the better romance stories I've read this year.