Cover Image: The Godparent Trap

The Godparent Trap

Rachel is my absolute #1 goto mafia queen but y’all she can write the heck out of rom-coms too. The Godparent Trap is a quick read that will have you laughing, crying, believing in the afterlife and hoping to see blue butterflies 🦋.

Colby & Rip are thrust into a life that neither had planned for themselves. Both have secretly had feelings for each other but never truly acted on it…until life happened. Now they are learning to raise a family & live a new life with each other without any clues on how to do either. They are each other’s opposite in every way but they complement each other. Rip makes Colby want to be a bit better organized and Colby brings out a side to Rip that he buried long ago.

The kiddos truly have my heart because you know 😭 I’m sure the next time I see a blue butterfly I will think of Monica😢

Fave quotes:
Good-looking men shouldn’t be allowed to do things like hold babies or smile at kids, it just makes a woman’s ovaries go, It’s time! Pick us!—💯agree😂

“That little shit!” “Swear jar!” Viera sang. “Swearing doesn’t count in sports,” Colby said. “Go, little shit!” Viera yelled. Colby slapped a hand over Viera’s mouth as we earned several stares, then used her other hand to squeeze my thigh. “Let’s go, Ben!”—THIS y’all I was laughing out loud because you know kids cussing is funny…unless it’s your kid cussing😂😇

Never thought I’d see the day—or the night—that I’d hijack a story about a frog, make it about me, and use it as a way to get a woman into bed. But here we were.—-you have to start somewhere buddy 😜

I have been wanting to read a book with this trope that I have only seen in movies. Were the friends of the couple who can't stand each other end up with joint custody. I love that it also gives me hate to love. Which is another trope that I love. This one ended up being more sweeter than I thought it would. I didn't want it to end, but I also couldn't wait to finish it either. Which in my book is the sign of good book. I look forward to more books by this author.

I’m a marketing and publicity intern at Forever Publishing, so I am reading this for work. May post full review later.

I expected this book to be a lot like a movie I have seen with the same basic idea of two people that dislike each other that become godparent. I was pleasantly incorrect with that assumption and found this book hooked me right from the very beginning. I loved the writing style and dual perspective, allowing the reader to really experience what the characters were going through. I found it to be a gut wrenching story that represents what it is like to be dealing with grief and loss while having to be strong for young children. It’s also an enemies to lovers, so the chemistry and buildup was very entertaining.
I will definitely be recommending this to my friends going forward.

I hate the cover of the book, but I enjoyed the story a lot. This story reminds me a little of the movie "Life As We Know It" but with that being said, I liked the story and the characters a lot. I enjoyed the Colby's character and all that she brought to the story. I loved that she was chaotic, messy, funny, sweet, loving and had a lot of patience. I also enjoyed Rip, but I enjoyed him even more after he let his guard down and his feelings show. There were times I wanted to throat punch him. Ben, Viera, and even Stu the cat, had me laughing at their antics and it made me love them even more. This story deals with friendships, loss, moving on, love, and making lemonade out of lemons the best way you know how, even when things are chaotic and messy. Opposite attracts in the best possible ways in this story and for me, it is a story worth reading. This is the type of story that I can and eventually will read again.

Momma said if I don't have anything nice to say, I shouldn't say anything, so I'll write this: this was certainly a book. There were characters, pages, and dialogue.

Poignant and heartbreaking, this book deals with some difficult issues, especially for parents. In this book, Colby and Rip lose the two people closest to them: Rip's sister and his best friend who are Colby's best friends. They are godparents to this couple's two children. Learning to navigate parenthood while also dealing with another person you find difficult to understand, this enemies to lovers romance was heavy during much of the story. There were, however, instances of humor and adorableness, not to mention parts of the book where I was nodding vigorously in agreement (or empathy?), as a parent of young children.

While I overall liked the characters, I have to say that Rip and Colby both wore on me a few times. Written as total opposites, Rip was a little too judgmental. Colby was a little too flighty. And their exactly opposite personalities in this story felt forced in order to exacerbate the conflict that will eventually get resolved with a HEA. Overall though, I was completely invested in the story and there were a few tears shed for this beautifully poignant book about finding love in a time of loss.

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and author for an early read.

This book had a relatively different starting point than your average rom-com, & it was this starting point that piqued my interest. Colby & Rip are thrown together when Monica (Rip's sister and Colby's best friend) & her husband Brooks are killed in a car accident, leaving behind two young children under six. Colby & Rip are the designated caregivers, so they both move into Monica's house to raise the children. Of course, the two main characters hate each other, making this a bona fide enemies-to-lovers romance. The story takes the reader on the journey of Colby & Rip navigating grief, loss, & change, all while parenting two small children who are navigating the same things.

Here's what I liked: As I said at the top, the premise of the book was intriguing to me, as not many rom-coms start off on such a heavy note. I appreciated the author's ability to show joy & sadness simultaneously in all the main characters. People, even fictional ones, contain multitudes. While I am not a parent, I am one of the oldest in my extended family & have spent many hours watching younger cousins. Obviously this is not the same as parenting, but being in charge for an evening is exhausting, never mind it becoming a parent while grieving a lifelong friend. Van Dyken, in my opinion, did an excellent job showing the good, bad, & ugly about parenting, & I appreciated that it was not all sunshine & roses. As someone who does not laugh a lot while reading, the dialogue in this book was witty & got a few laughs out of me. The texting conversations were my favourite part of the MCs interactions. Colby & Rip certainly did not lack chemistry, & the progression of their relationship was reasonably believable. Ben & Viera were excellently written side characters & they came out with some gems throughout the book.

Here's what I didn't like: I felt like Rip could have been more fleshed out as a character. We know he raised Monica after their parents' untimely death when Monica was in 8th grade, we know he's an accountant with a fancy car, & we know he likes rules & regulations. Personally I got a much better sense of Colby's character throughout the book than I did Rip's. If there's a man version of the Bechtel test, I do not think this book would pass. He's not a complete cardboard cutout but it did feel like his main purpose was to be uptight, hot, & rich. It also would have been nice to see Rip grieve more. I realize that might sound silly, & of course everyone processes things differently, but Rip's grief felt a lot more shallow & flimsy to me.

Overall this book was a quick read that tackled some pretty heavy topics without feeling like a drag & did very well in the comedy department. Some more solid character development would have been nice, but otherwise I enjoyed the time I spent in Colby & Rip's chaotic world.

The Godparent Trap is a rom-com that definitely packs an emotional punch. The story is about Rip and Colby, having to become sudden parents of two kids after their parents die. Rip is a strict, buttoned up guy, while Colby is a flexible, creative; they both need to come together to parent these two kids that are grieving. Of course there is also a bit of history here.

This is a grumpy/sunshine, opposites attract, forced proximity romance that was just what my heart needed. Rachel Van Dyken explores grief, and the many natural ways that people go through grief, in such a gentle way.

The author also does a great job of writing realistic characters. I find that often, when writing opposites attract, and author exaggerates both characters too far on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Van Dyken didn't do this. Both Rip and Colby were believable in their personas and it turns out that both characters had a lot of beliefs about the other that changed throughout the book.

I really liked the side characters in this book. Whether it is the two sweet kids, Ben and Viera or Rip's coworker, Banks, they really added to the story. I also really liked the dialogue and banter in this book, both characters interactions and inner monologues.

The one thing that I didn't like in the book was near the end there is an event that happened that I just didn't like. I don’t think it was necessary, and seemed to add a bit of drama for the sake of drama.

This book made me laugh, this book made me cry. It was a beautiful story of love and loss, but not super heavy. Thank you to NetGalley and Forever publishing for a copy of this book. All opinions are 100% mine.

This book is essentially the rom-com "Life as You Know It" in book form. I love that movie so I was completely here for it. Colby and Rex are opposites and it is a struggle for them to work together to raise the kids. Chaos follows for a lot of the book. The third act drama really felt like too much for me and at that point I was kinda over it.

CW: parental death, car accident

Do not let the cute title and cover fool you. This book definitely packs an emotional punch.

Rip and Colby have a lot of history together and when unfortunate circumstances force time to act as team, there is a lot to unpack. This is your warning that Rip is an alphahole in the beginning of this book, but he definitely redeems himself IMO.

I really enjoyed the romance between Rip and Colby, and all of the interaction with the kids, felt very real. Being a SAHM I definitely related to that aspect of the book and was happy to it is portrayed. Also the loss it deals with is very raw and real which is something else I can relate too and felt it was well done.

Overall I really enjoyed this one!

Melli’s Book Breakdown
🤍enemies to lovers
🤍Best Friend’s Brother
🤍Grumpy/sunshine
🤍J/P Hero
🤍Slow Burn
🤍little spicy 🌶🌶

Thank you netgalley and forever publishing for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The banter between Colby and Rip is fun, though it felt like they came together (from hating each other to being in love) too quickly. There was a lot of predictability, and the latter half of the book felt very rushed, which made a few plot points confusing, as they weren't fully fleshed out. Ben and Viera were my favorite characters, and I liked the dual POV. Fans of rom-com stories will likely enjoy this quick read, particularly if you've seen and enjoyed the movie Life As We Know It.

I really enjoyed this story. There were some parts I swear I’d read before, but after finishing I think it just reminded me of the movie Life As We Know It.

I really liked watching Colby and Rip learn to become a family. It’s not easy raising kids. I really enjoyed how relatable this book was for me!

I can’t even imagine the pain they all went through in this book, but one thing is Rip and Colby were the perfect people to keep the family together.

Once again Rachel has written a book that was hard to put down. I just wanted to see how it was all going to play out! I cannot wait for the next book Rachel writes for us!

This is a story of Colby, a free spirited easy going blogger and Rip, a tight laced accountant have their lives up ended when they suddenly find themselves coparenting and cohabitating. This books has grumping/sunshine, enemies/lovers, forced proximity, found family, hurt/comfort feel to it. It was a quick read, however I felt the story lacked depth. The interactions between Colby and Rip often felt rushed with little substance. I got more out of Colby and Rip's interactions with Banks than with each other. I really like Colby's character, the depth of her emotion felt real, you felt her loss. I didn't really like Rip. I get everyone grieves differently, but he never grieved ever, he was just mean and it didn't make him a likable character.

**received an ARC for an honest review**

This was such a beautiful and heartbreaking story, so be prepared for a whirlwind of emotions. It had me laughing one minute and crying the next.

Colby and Rip were living their best lives, away from one another. Being a food blogger and an accountant, they didn't have much in common. Neither did they get along well. Until a tragedy forces them into becoming co-parents to their godchildren. Colby thinks Rip is too uptight, and Rip thinks Colby is irresponsible, but with the two people they love the most involved, they try and find balance and find love along the way.

If you've ever watched the movie "Life as we know it," and enjoyed it, you'd love this book too, as they have the same theme. I even pictured Colby and Rip as Katherine and Josh. The character development in this book was done very well. It was really beautiful watching these people learn and grow. The banter was fun to read and there were as many comedic moments as there were emotional. The kids were so cute, the side characters were entertaining, and the book was a lovely quick read.

ARC was kindly provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Godparent Trap follows Colby and Rip as they become Guardians to two children. They can't stand each other, with Colby's constant mess and Rip's need for perfection. Yet, the attraction for the other is real, especially after their one date years prior. Together they discover how hard it is losing those closets to them, raising their children, and finding someone to help you along the way.
I honestly could not get over the idea that this was slightly different than Life As We Know It, the 2010 film. The parents leave their children with their best friends that hate each other, that once went on a date together, they must live with each other for the child. They end up working around each other's schedule to make things work. One works with food, one is more business like.
In this one, the kids are toddler/kindergarten ages. It was great seeing the utter chaos of raising small children. In a lot of books I read with children the kids or life with kids is picture perfect. This, I laughed and thought "this is my life", random stain on myself, and probably the couch too. I loved the mention of Bluey, I've put it on sometimes to make dinner, just like Colby.
I also thought, of course Rip and Monica don't have parents, because then it wouldn't work for the story. I thought maybe traumatizing Rip with his parents' death, then his sister's and best friend's, then why not make it so the woman he loves has a near death experience, was a but much. What did Rip do, besides be grumpy?
I think I'd read this again just for the laugh of the chaos of toddler hood, but not the overly done death. It got me to laugh and talk to my husband about our favorite moments with our kids.

The Godparent Trap pulled me in by the cover. It looked like it was going to be a cute, light and fun beach read. But that's the thing about illustrated covers. Sometimes they can be misleading. And honestly, this was only partially misleading because the beginning had my heart breaking for what happened. After that, the story seemed eerily familiar. And after reading a few reviews it was the fact that it had the same beginning of a movie called Life As We Know It.

Although the storyline started out familiar, it did offer some differences and some fun and cute interactions between the kids' godparents and the kids. Colby was the sunshine and a total mess, but the kids absolutely adored her. She was the fun, yet emotional one. Then there was Rip. He was the grumpy, yet steady one. Very precise. Very neat. Very "by the book". But what these two both offered was so much love and the combination of the pair of them was exactly what the kids needed after suffering a huge loss.

Once we got into the plot, the cover made more sense. It was romantic comedy that started out a bit serious, but turned into opposites attract with a side of Enemies to lovers and then hit you with the kids and the feels. I liked seeing Colby and Rip try to balance their new lives and learn what they really wanted out of life. Rip thought he wanted perfection, but sometimes you just need someone to balance you out. But my favorite character may have been an annoyingly fun side character that I would love to read more about. Banks! He was Hilarious. He offered up some legit advice and even got someone to admit their feelings by using a fun tactic. Just trust me. He's the highlight.

Overall, this was a fun and enjoyable story with some great characters that were developed well throughout. I liked seeing Rip grow from his grumpy self into a parent with his "messy" counterpart. I also liked seeing Colby settle down and not need to travel to have fun. An entertaining spin on a familiar story. 3.5 stars

i really liked this book! It was fun and a really quick read. It was so reminiscent of the movie Life as we knew it and that is one of my favorite movies. I loved that we got dual pov and were able to really see into both characters brains. it was a really fun read that also made me laugh and tear up only pages apart. I cant wait for everyone to get their hands on this book.

Easy read with a grumpy/sunshine trope. The story reminded me a lot of the movie, Life as We Know It. I felt as though the main characters, Colby and Rip, went from hating each other to being in love too quick. Once this happened, the story didn't seem to develop from there.

This was a super quick read that reminded me of the movie #LifeAsWeKnowit
Colby and Rip both have their life flipped upside down when they become co-parents after a sudden loss. Equally heartbreaking and comedic I flew through this one. I just wish Rip was a little more likable.
Thank you @grandcentral and @netgalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.