Cover Image: Beautiful You, Beautiful Me

Beautiful You, Beautiful Me

A celebration of individuality, multiculturalism, self love, Spillett-Summer has put bi-racial children in the spotlight in this gorgeously illustrated book.

Young Izzy loves to be hugged and held by her mother. She knows she is safe and secure there. But she notices that Mama's skin is a different color than her own. The more she pays attention to it, the more Izzy realizes how different she is from her mother. These realizations leave her feeling sad because she wants to be just like her mother. She feels like if she doesn't look like her Mama, she isn't beautiful. But Mama isn't putting up with any of those nonsense thoughts. She lovingly reminds Izzy that she is a part of her and she is beautiful just like her too. It is a special moment between mother and child as she teachers her the importance of seeing and embracing her own unique beauty.

This was a wonderous tale with valuable lessons that just because we may look different on the outside does not change our beauty internally or externally and that everyone is beautiful. It also is an important book for parents of bi-racial children to read when their children are first exploring their identity and questioning why they may look different from both of their parents. This would be the perfect opportunity to talk about how we are all parts of our parents and share the amazing traits we get from each one.
As a grandmother I loved reading this book to my granddaughter. It shows the color of someone skin means nothing because a child looks at how they are being treated. Great read with lovely pictures.
Goodness how lovely this book is for biracial children to be seen in such beautiful artwork. And the message- yes you may get a bit misty-eyed! I sure am and wish I had had this one to read to my sweet niece when she was younger as she would have related to so much of this. Definitely add this one to your shelves!
A colorful celebration of identity. Lush, vivid illustrations set the stage for a little girl's journey in discovering who she is after noticing her skin is like "chocolate" but her mama's is like "sand." Izzy wants to be like Mama and isn't sure she likes that they don't "match." Mama assures Izzy that "You're part of me, and I'm part of you. I'm beautiful like me, and you're beautiful like you. " This journey of self-discovery is a wonderful lesson for all ages in embracing who we are, what makes us different and unique, and the similarities that bind us together. Through it all, the love between mother and daughter is delightfully portrayed as Izzy learns that it's okay to be different. The vibrant illustrations create warmth and comfort, and the gentle cadence throughout the story reinforces the idea of self-love and acceptance in a way that children of all ages can relate to.
In this book, a daughter begins to see the differences in the way that she and her mother look with respect to her hair and skin colour. Her Mom's soothing, calm words tell her that they are both beautiful in their own ways, and that there difference is okay. While walking with her Mom, the young girl sees animals and their babies that are different in appearance and this helps her to learn that it is okay that she doesn't look exactly like her mother.
I really enjoyed this book. The plot tells a sweet story about a mom and daughter who look different, but are both beautiful in their own ways. This story was reaffirming story that reminds children they don’t have to look like others in order to be beautiful.
Adorable book that tackles an important topic. Suitable for children of all ages. Vibrant gorgeous drawings with a cute little poem said throughout like a chorus. Definitely would recommend this book to any family with young children, including my own. Well done!
An incredibly lovely story about a little girl who notices how she and her mother don't look quite the same, with different skin color and different kinds of hair, but her mother shows her that not all children and parents look the same and you're still family no matter what.

The cadence of the story reminded me of Love You Forever and definitely had me tearing up at the love the mother had for her child, even in a few short pages.

The illustrations were gorgeous as well!

Thank you to NetGalley and Owlkids Books for making this available in exchange for an honest review!
Izzy loves being with Mama, but she’s noticing all these differences between them. Mama has blue eyes, lighter skin, and straight hair compared to her brown eyes, darker skin, and curly hair. She wants to be beautiful like Mama. Mama lets her know beauty comes in many forms, and they're both gorgeous in their own unique way. When she goes for a walk, Izzy also notices the diversity between mothers and their babies. This is an important topic as many children may wonder why they don’t look like one or both parents. The book explored this topic in a sensitive, lovely, and playful way. I read this via NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher.
This book's strengths are in  its repeating lines, its bright & bold illustrations, and the love that shines between Izzy and her mother. The simple, repetitive language is perfect for toddlers and preschoolers. It gives children the words to acknowledge and appreciate difference, rather than to fear or avoid talking about it. I would have loved to have seen other families or people that were different, rather than only showing other examples in nature.
Different is beautiful! Tasha Spillett-Sumner brings such warmth to her books and this one is no exception. I'm definitely going to be purchasing this one to add to my ECE class library :)
This book sweetly and delicately covers the emotions a child can feel when first realizing they look different than someone they love. In this book Izzy begins to notice all the differences between herself and the mother she loves and begins to feel lost and confused. At first, she dislikes the differences and wishes she looked more like her mother, but her mother gently teaches Izzy that everyone has their own unique beauty. This book is an beautiful tool for helping children work through their realizations of differences and learn to appreciate and celebrate the things that make them, and others, unique and wonderful, and understand that connections to those we love run deeper than our skin!
Izzy is a beautiful young girl who loves being with her Mama.  One night she notices that their skin does not match.  Izzy says she is chocolate and Mama is sand.  She wants to look like Mama, but Mama sweetly explains that they are both beautiful.  Izzy also notices that her hair does not look like Mama's, but Mama again explains that each of them is beautiful,  Finally, she takes Izzy for a walk and they look at different mama animals with their babies.  Izzy realizes that not all babies match their mamas and that is okay.
This is a cute story to help explain why some people may have different physical characteristics; however, they are all beautiful.
As someone who grew up wondering why I was darker than my mom and why her hair was straight and mine was curly, I was drawn to this book as soon as I saw the cover. Inside I discovered a sweet story of a girl learning that moms and their babies may not look the same, but they are all uniquely beautiful. It was short and would be well suited for kids 0-5. The repeated lines will be fun for little ones to read along with. I wish I had this kind of positive representation of myself when I was a child!
Representation: 10
Story: 10
Illustration: 10

Beautiful You, Beautiful Me is a wholesome, empowering story with bright, eye-catching illustrations and social-emotional importance.

I loved how inclusive and child-friendly Spillett-Summer's answer to when a child notices the differences between them and their parent is. I love books that help children feel heard and process their feelings, such as this.

** Thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for the ARC in return for an honest review. **
Such a beautiful book about love and acceptance. Liszt loves being in her mom’s cozy arms. Suddenly she starts to see how different they both are. A beautiful message about how people can be related but still look different.
Izzy is a young girl beginning to see the world a little differently. She's starting to notice details in her Mother's features. These observations lead her to question why she doesn't have the same features as her Mother. Izzy vocalized her concerns to her Mother. Each time, her Mother responds by helping Izzy see her unique beauty.

This book will help children understand that looking different from a parent, their skin color, or hair texture; does not make them any less of a family. It reinforces the idea that we are all beautiful in our own way. I hope this book helps children love who they see in the mirror, especially if their features aren't in their family or highlighted in society.
I loved this book and the beautiful message it shared. As a teacher of several children from diverse families, I think this book will be wonderful to show my children how everyone in your family can look different and what matters is that you love each other!
I received an electronic ARC from Owlkids Books through NetGalley.
Heartwarming story of a mom and daughter who obviously love each other. The child notices her skin, hair, etc. are different from her mom's and asks about this. Each time she asks about a different part of herself, her mom offers the same support - both are beautiful as themselves. The illustrations bring the emotions to life and support the text. I appreciate the facial expressions that radiate support and love even when answering hard questions. A must for families as children realize they are different from their parents and begin to compare themselves to the one(s) they love.
A charming book about families that don’t look exactly alike, perfect for inter-racial or adoptive families. When Izzy starts to realize that she doesn’t look much like her mother, her mother gives all of the right responses, even taking her on a walk to see other animal families where children don’t match their parents. A great message told well.