Cover Image: Carrie Soto Is Back

Carrie Soto Is Back

I absolutely ADORED this book.  Can Taylor Jenkins Reid write anything NOT read worthy- NO INDEED she is brilliant!
We first meet Carrie Soto in Taylor Jenkins Reid book- Malibu Rising. I was unsure this plot would keep me reading and enthralled the same way her other books did- but  I couldn’t put it down; every expectation was surpassed! Carrie Soto is a top womens tennis player who’s trying to get back into the game after injuries and years recovering. The interactions and relationship with her father are relatable and enjoyable to read. Loved reading about the slams and all the tennis information. Enjoyed this story and can’t wait to watch some tennis this summer 😊
Excellent story about a female athlete’s drive and determination. I was captivated by Carrie even though at first she annoyed me, I was always cheering for her both on and off the court.  Highly recommend!
Thank you NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group for the advanced readers copy of this book.

Coming from a college athlete I loved how this was Sports based. The relationship between Carrie and her father is remarkable.

I appreciated the athlete that TJR writes about. One that isn’t afraid of anything or anyone. Someone who knows her passion for something and who she is to her core. I enjoyed that Carrie was Hispanic although many times I did have to translate dialogue between Carrie and Javier. Thank goodness for translate on my kindle tho it made it easy.

The ending of the book I really loved and admired and wasn’t as predictable as I was thinking.

TJRs writing is fluid and keeps you wanting to read more. I love how she incorporates other forms of writing such as a TV interview, Articles etc into her books.

If you’re reading this and it starts off slow, keep going. I couldn’t put it down after 25% in.
Carrie Soto was once the best tennis player in the world.  When her record is in jeopardy of being broken, she decides to come back for one final season.
As I began to read this book, I was a worried that it was going to be too tennis heavy. There is no doubt about it, tennis is talked about on nearly every page. However, in true Taylor Jenkins Reid fashion, I quickly fell in love with her characters and was rooting for them as they played each match. I loved how these characters and their relationships developed. There is so much love, emotion,  and ambition in this story. It will make you laugh and cry.
Those who love tennis will devour this book. For those who don't,  give it a chance... you will quickly find yourself immersed.  Great read - thank you netgalley for the ARC!
I always love going into another Taylor Jenkins book! This one was no different. I loved this book so much! I would recommend it to others :)
Thank you to Net Galley, the author, and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Hear me out: there was zero chance that I wouldn't enjoy this. Not only am I a TJR stan (for life, at this point), but add-in that it's about a professional tennis player from the 90s attempting to defend her record post-retirement? That's solid gold. Immediately hooked.

Carrie Soto Is Back is, like many of TJR's recent hits (I'm talking Daisy, Evelyn, Malibu Rising... which everyone and their mother has now heard about via BookTok), is situated in the TJR universe. However, that does not mean you have to have read her others to understand or appreciate what she's done here. For my Malibu Rising fans, you may remember Carrie from the small (but crucial) role she played as "the other woman" in Nina Rivas' marriage to Brandon Randall. In this one, we see her several years down the road, having left both Brandon and professional tennis behind her. Yet, with the rise of powerhouse player Nicki Chan threatening to dismantle the record she set, she's compelled back into the game.

There are so many things I loved about this book that I'm unlikely to address them all in this review. My biggest piece of advice is to, of course, read it. But the thing I've always enjoyed about TJR's writing, especially in recent years, is her unconventional structure and sequencing. We are given a fully-fleshed out version of Carrie, predominantly through first-person narration. However, its the little additives - the flashbacks and supplemental media interviews and reports - that give life to who Carrie is as a person and tennis player, but also to what the culture of professional women's tennis was like in the 90s.

Carrie is an incredibly flawed human being, who puts relentless pressure on herself to win and be the best. Her self-worth is entirely tied to her legacy in tennis. And she is often very blunt about it, making her very unlikeable  to the public (and, at times, to the reader). However, the commentary made here about the impossible double standards women are held to, especially in the sports industry, is salient (and still incredibly relevant). Carrie is often disparaged for not behaving and playing the game the way others would like, despite her undoubtable talent. I loved how unapologetic she was throughout the entire book... and what a layered depiction we were given of her. I especially admired the dynamic she shared with her father, Javier, who acted as her coach and mentor throughout.

Though the characters within are fictional, you can't help but recognize much of the inspiration TJR took in developing this story. You don't have to be a fan of tennis to enjoy the story (though I certainly think it will add to your appreciation). Though I don't think this is on the same level as Daisy and Evelyn, you will recognize TJR's signature: an entertaining, cinematic, thought-provoking, and heartfelt read through and through.
Carrie Soto is a character we first met in Malibu Rising. When she retired at the top of her tennis game, with a record 20 grand slam wins, she had no intention of coming back to the game. but a few years later, Nicki Chan equals her grand slam record.  At the age of 37, Carrie Siti us returning to the game with every intention of being successful and defending her title. Even though she is not the most likable of characters, Carrie becomes someone we want to root for through challenges that come with her return to tennis. While this is a character encountered in Malibu Rising, you do not have to have read MR to read this book. Carrie Soto is Back is a beautiful story about perseverance, love, and the power of being vulnerable.
The must read title of 2022! Carrie Soto was the tennis phenomenon of her age- unstoppable on the court and off. Leaving behind competitors and lovers with little concern or regard. For a majority of her career she was coached by her father until they had a falling out. Now at the age of 40 with her record on the line can Carrie and her dad reunite to once again dominate tennis? Can Carrie finally open her heart to real love? Another grand slam title by Taylor Jenkins Reid!
I think Carrie Soto has been my favorite one yet! I love how all of Taylor’s characters are connected in some way! I love how this was written. How the chapters short and are by years and everything.
I loved everything about this book. Carrie Soto May now be my favorite TJR character just barely getting past Evelyn Hugo. I really enjoyed the tennis background of this book and Carries ferocious attitude towards life and the sport. I also enjoyed her connection to her father and his wonderful words of wisdom. It was fun to find Easter eggs of past characters in this book as well. It is another must read by Taylor Jenkins Reid
TJR never disappoints!  This is another great, solid read from this amazing author.  I enjoyed all the Easter eggs from previous novels and loved getting to know Carrie.  Her drive and determination make her a competitive player in the game of tennis but that comes with great sacrifice.  Seeing behind the scenes in Carrie's life was so interesting and entertaining.  Definitely recommend this one!!
Thank you to NetGalley, Random House Publishing Group/Ballantine Books and Taylor Jenkins Reid for the opportunity to read this E-ARC in exchange for my honest review.

As always, TJR didn’t disappoint with this one and to be honest, this might be my new favorite of her books! I love how she always writes about a strong, tough female character and even though Carrie Soto was very unlikeable at times, I couldn't help but continue to root for her and cheer her on as she made her comeback! My only dislike was how much info there was about her practices and matches and the beginning was a bit slow for me. I don't play tennis, so for me all the technical info became a bit repetitive..that said though- it did make me want to grab a racket and go out and try and play! I was originally on the fence with how I would rate this until I got to the last 30% of the book and it totally changed my mind! 4.5 star read for me (rounding up to 5 stars here) and I LOVED the ending! I cannot wait to grab a physical copy for my shelf when it comes out!
Thank you for the opportunity to review this highly-anticipated book!
I love this author, I have read many of her books. She has once again written a strong female character in Carrie Soto. Carrie is not always the most likable character, but you can’t help but root for her in her comeback quest.
I loved the characters, and I enjoyed their growth throughout the story (both in tennis and in life.) My one dislike was the amount of writing about each individual tennis match;  it became a bit mundane. I understand why it was written this way (Carrie has little else in her life besides tennis, and is mechanical in her training), but I would have enjoyed reading a little more about something other than a breakdown of multiple tennis matches and training sessions. It felt like the book was missing something in that aspect.
That being said, I was rooting for Carrie the whole way through!
4.5/5 stars

The newest book from one of my favorite authors, Taylor Jenkins Reid, focuses on tennis superstar Carrie Soto. After having retired years ago, Carrie is determined to come out of retirement to prevent another superstar, Nicki Chan, from taking her record of having the most slams. She agrees to start working again with her dad, who was her coach early in her career. Along the way, Carrie starts to remember what it is like to have fun and that winning isn't always everything.

This book starts out a little slow. The first little chunk of it is about Carrie's backstory and her career leading up to present day in the book. This part was not my favorite as it didn't have that magic that normally comes with Jenkins Reid's work. However, once you get past that and get to where Carrie is training in present day and is playing in the tournaments, it has that magic again! One of my favorite things about this author's books is the way she plays with form and that comes through in the later sections, with interviews, sports commentary, etc. I also like how she addresses the different gender expectations and criticism of athletes in sports. One of my favorite lines of a book ever was along the lines of exceptional women always having to wait for mediocre men. Just a gem! Overall, another great book by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

I received my copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
The end 20% was what increased the rating for me.
I enjoyed that TJR knew how to shorten the tennis matches enough that the reader didn't get bored but didn't miss out. It was enough for someone who doesn't watch tennis to follow and not have to be technical.
Carrie had flaws that made her life harder ana secluded and with letting her father help her change her tennis game she was also able to change her relationship game.
I didn’t think I could root so hard for such an unlikeable character. Taylor Jenkins Reid creates some kind of magic throughout the book with her writing and her character development. Would I want to be friends with Carrie Soto? Absolutely not. But I’d go out for ice cream sandwiches with her dad.

Thanks to netgalley for the Advanced Reader Copy.
Loved loved loved this book! TJR for sure does it again, complete with a knock out character who doesn’t let anyone stand in her way. Carrie is unlike any character I have met before-ruthless, cunning, and gives no f***s! It’s fun to watch her transform as her game and circumstances change throughout the novel. Though I no nothing about tennis AT ALL I enjoyed learning about it as Carrie played each match. 5 stars for sure!
This is a book about tennis, which I have never paid attention to, written by one of my favorite authors. I have to tell you,  I waged war against myself before finally  reading the book.  A)  Do I read it, knowing that I have absolutely no interest in tennis? Or B) do I potentially miss a great book by a great author? I am so glad that I read it. Yes, it’s about tennis, BUT it’s also about competition, love and how to let go and live life to its fullest. My emotions became tied to the character. The book engendered a sadness for her unwavering dedication to tennis, a life that could only be successful if you won and her insecurity about love.   I read this book through in two sittings; it was that good. Thank you to NetGalley and Ballantine Publisher’s for the DRC at no cost, in exchange for an honest review.
I LOVED this book so much! I love TJR and loved this beyond my expectations. Even with the sports focus I was sucked into it immediately. A MUST READ this summer! Another strong complex woman navigating what she earns through talent vs deserves vs what she wants, and family and love and fame and all that other juicy stuff. So good!