Cover Image: She's Gone

She's Gone

I had really enjoyed a couple of David Bell's adult thrillers so when I saw this teen thriller come here to NetGalley, I knew I needed to give it a go and I am so glad I did! Often, I have customers asking me for thriller recommendations and I very rarely am able to find any that I think are genuinely exciting thrillers as well as completely age appropriate and this fit both of those! Hands down, the title I'll be recommending from here on out as at least a starting point when it comes to teen thrillers.
She's Gone by David Bell is a fast-paced Young Adult thriller with many twists and turns and edge-of-the-seat moments.

The story begins with 17-year-old Hunter Gifford waking up in a hospital with a concussion. He is shocked to that he had been in a car crash and his girlfriend Chloe Summers is missing, even though traces of her blood have been found in the car. As expected, he is the primary suspect, and his inability to remember anything from that night makes him even more suspicious.

Disgruntled with the police’s investigation, Hunter begins his own detective work. Unfortunately, his greatest enemy is his own memory!

This is my first David Bell mystery, and I enjoyed reading it. The pacing is excellent and the short chapter length with intriguing cliffhangers made the experience more interesting.

The intended audience, Young Adults, can easily relate to the characters, their struggles, and the setting. They are well-developed and their behaviour is realistically depicted. TikTok plays an important role in the story, and teens and YA can easily relate to it.

Hunter’s family dynamics are well portrayed and feel quite authentic.

While I liked most of the narration, there were a few disjointed dialogues that dragged unnecessarily. The grand mystery behind the disappearance, though a bit of a dampener, is revealed interestingly.

She's Gone is a wonderful whodunnit, and if you are a fan of YA mysteries, you will enjoy it.

I received a free copy of this book from Source Books through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
When Hunter wakes up in the hospital after homecoming and can’t remember anything, he is shocked to find out he was in an accident and his girlfriend is missing. Unfortunately at first, hunter is the main suspect in Chloe’s disappearance. No one believes he can’t remember anything. But Hunter is desperately trying to remember any detail that might help find Chloe and get people to believe that he had nothing to do with her disappearance.  It if it wasn’t Hunter, then who was it and what really happened. And when there’s a murder in town, Hunter really becomes the prime suspect in two crimes. This YA suspense/thriller, had great characters, several twists and turns, and wasn’t totally predictable.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the advance copy… even though I didn’t read it before the release date!
This book really just took me for a ride. I loved the build up, the character development, and the writing. I would definitely read more from this author!
This was fast paced and had short chapters. I liked the sister and the dad and I think that's the only good things I can say about this book. It didn't make any sense that the main character kept posting videos other than to add "commentary" on how kids these days always have to post videos on social media. Speaking of "commentary", the author kept trying to pop in some diversity and comments about diversity, seemingly for no other reason than the brownie points, because they went nowhere and had nothing to do with the plot. I thought it was predictable, but not really clear why some things happened until the reveal. I also thought the ending was thrown together to quickly for a book that didn't have much happening before that point. I think if a couple of different choices were made, this could have been a solid thriller.
When Hunter wakes up in the hospital as the prime suspect in his girlfriend's disappearance he must uncover the truth. With no memory of the wreck that took his girlfriend he sets out to investigate where she went. When the town turns more and more against him he discovers who is true friends are. But can he find out where his girlfriend went? Or if she is still alive.
A big thanks to Netgalley, Sourcebooks, and the author for a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book put me in a major reading slump. As I was reading it, I kept thinking about how it felt like a YA mystery instead of a thriller, like I was expecting. Then, I looked at the details again on Netgalley and sure enough, that’s exactly what it was. I clearly didn’t pay enough attention when requesting this one. Had I realized at the time, I would have DNF instead of waiting for the story to get exciting. I have read other books by this author that were adult thrillers, so I think that’s where I got confused. Long story short, skip this one. Even if you are a fan of YA thrillers, there are much better options out there that won’t leave you bored.
This book is near perfect for thriller novels. It is YA but don’t let that deter you. It was clever and smart. This author knows how to keep you in the dark and unsure about what you think is happening.
Thank you Netgalley and Sourcebooks Fire for the chance to read She's gone by David Bell. This YA thriller was fast paced, and kept me turning pages to see what happened the night of Hunter's and Chloe's accident and where was Chloe? Could Hunter be guilty of murder? I loved this book, and my only problem was a couple of small plot-holes, which didn't really affect the story. This is the 2nd book by the author that I have read, and enjoyed and he is definitely on my TBR list!
I enjoyed this YA thriller from the perspective of the boyfriend of a teenage girl after she disappeared following a car accident the night of homecoming. Boyfriend was the driver of the car but has no memory of the accident or the night of homecoming. He doesn't know how he ended up at the hospital or whether his girlfriend was really with him...she must have been, right? Were they fighting? Were things really as perfect in their relationship as he remembers? Because when a girl goes missing, it's always the boyfriend. Isn't i?

Thank you to Netgalley and Sourcebooks for the electronic copy.
This book was exactly what we were looking for to showcase in our Scribbler box for writers. We are featuring Plot Twists as a topic this month, and Bell does a masterful job in this one with those twists. Even though it's a YA book, it reads very much like an adult title - so readers of all ages will devour this story.
I think I need to give up with this author. I continue to try to like him and to try new books but so much of this is a little dumbed down for me. I really have a difficult time with this author’s dialogue between characters- it feels really silly and unrealistic. Unfortunately  I could not get past it.
Oh, my!  I just finished this.  This book is like a snowball going downhill - it made me read faster and faster as it got closer to the end.  I think I may have actually been holding my breath.

I have read a couple of David Bell books and have a few more on my TBR list.  He is a great story teller that keeps your attention.  His stories ( this one included ) are realistic and make you think about who might have done it.

I will suggest this book to other mystery readers.  I will be reading other David Bell books.
After a terrible car accident, Hunter faces accusations which he honestly has no way of proving or disproving. He doesn’t want to believe he might have hurt Chloe but he simply doesn’t remember the events leading up to the crash. A pretty level-headed teenager, he is a likable character and it’s easy to sympathize with his plight and his emotions. He may want to do the right thing, but he is a teenager after all, and in his efforts to root out the truth some of his actions are ill-advised, impulsive, risky. His sister and sometimes partner-in-crime is delightful, a bit snarky, and totally loyal.

The story is told entirely from Hunter’s point of view in an easy to read style that puts the reader in touch with his thoughts and feelings. The writer’s style in this novel is well suited to both teen and adult audiences. The plot was well-placed, building in intensity as the story progressed and Hunter comes closer to discovering the truth. The novel was intriguing enough to keep those pages turning.  Like Hunter, I had to know what happened to Chloe.
Long time David Bell fan in the house.

David Bell releases a new book and you bet your sweet tushie I’ll be the first one in line.

There has yet to be even one Bell book that has left me disappointed and I promise you She’s Gone, does not disappoint . This might even be my favorite one to date.

I’ve made no secret of being a super picky reader . I can be incredibly judgmental and hold authors to incredibly high standards, especially ones who have been around the block a time or two.

She’s Gone holds every key element of the perfect thriller . The suspense was present, characters layered and realistic, the plot was on point and the twist delivers!

Talk about a nail biter, I’m surprised I still have fingers attached to my hand.

Five Stars
I sure do love a book where a super smart, and slightly nerdy, teenager helps solve a huge crime. So, I was extremely excited about She’s Gone by David Bell and he did not disappoint.

This story follows Hunter as he tries to figure out what happen after he loses his memory following an accident where his girlfriend went missing and he becomes a primary suspect. First I want to say I love that the main character is a male. A lot of these teenage detective books are teenage girls and it was nice to see it from the male perspective.

Also, I really enjoyed Hunter’s personality and his constant struggle with what he wants to do that he feels is right compared to just sitting and keeping a low profile. I feel that struggle was extremely realistic. I loved the sister/brother relationship between Hunter and his sister and how team Hunter she was the entire time, never once questioning him.

I also felt like Bell wrote some really great supporting characters that were nice to see supporting Hunter, but also those who were obviously suspicious of him and pertinent to the story. The different personalities and questions regarding characters really amped up the suspicion in this book and I did NOT see the ending coming.

Bell shocked me thoroughly and when the end started to unwind, I found myself gasping, saying “no way” and more as it all clicked into place. I was not ready for that! Such a shocking ending and loved how Bell had it play out. Great writing and build in this story really put it above others I have read and character development was good as well. There were a few cheesy moments, but I don’t think they took anything away from this story and it continued to flow extremely well.

I cannot wait to check out more books from David Bell after reading She’s Gone and I adamantly encourage all to check it out! A must read!
This was a fast paced YA thriller that started off really strong. The chapters are short and almost all ended on a cliffhanger that made me want to keep reading. There were a lot of clues being thrown out and different suspects, which I loved, and I wasn't quite sure where the story was going to go. Unfortunately, the ending was not my favorite and I felt that the motive behind what happened was probably the weakest part of the book.  It was still a fun read and I enjoyed the writing enough that it's made me interested in checking out the author's adult thrillers.
She's Gone
by David Bell

Hunter wakes up in a hospital with a big black hole in the timeline the last thing he remembers is being at homecoming with his girlfriend. He learns that he was in a car accident and no one knows what happened to his girlfriend.  As Hunter deals with everyone accusing him of killing his girlfriend, more and more keeps mounting on his plate.  Hunter racing to figure out what happened to his girlfriend and how he can solve this blank spot.

I enjoyed the storyline of a teenager not remembering what happened and putting the pieces together, way before the cops do. Hunter was a typical teenager even with everything going on. The fact that the whole family is put into this book and you get to see the dad struggle, and the bratty sister and how they bicker. That was the best part for me just the family sticking by Hunter's side and trying to get his life back to normal. I enjoyed this so much. The only part that I didn't care for was the teacher going after a student who didn't sit well with me.

Thank you, Net Galley and Sourcebooks Fire for the eARC for an honest review.
Seventeen year-old Hunter Gifford wakes up after Homecoming Night to find himself in the hospital, with no memory of how he got there or why. He’s suffering from a concussion, and the hospital’s security footage shows him wandering up to the building’s doors bloody and alone. But Hunter should have been with his girlfriend Chloe Summers, who has gone missing in the aftermath of the car accident they were both apparently in. Her car is subsequently found five miles away, crashed into a tree. Some of his blood is on the driver’s side, and some of Chloe’s on the passenger’s. That’s the only trace of her to be found.

Hunter, of course, becomes prime suspect in Chloe’s disappearance. He knows he didn’t, could never hurt her, but has no recollection of anything from the night before. While his friends and family rally round him, other students at his high school are less kind. Perhaps most hurtful is the reaction from Chloe’s parents. Though Chloe’s dad Scott seems willing to take Hunter at his word, her mother Laura is infuriated by what she sees as Hunter’s refusal to cooperate with the police. She refuses to believe that he genuinely can’t remember what happened, and insists that his inability to accurately relate what happened that night is a sign of wrongdoing. Worst of all, she’s ready to make this accusation as publicly and as often as necessary in her desperate search for her daughter.

Not knowing what else to do and stymied by his own uncooperative brain, Hunter decides to film videos asking for the public’s help. Unsurprisingly, this goes over poorly with every adult in his life, even Scott, who is tired of the useless, unwelcome attention from amateur media mavens, Hunter included:

“It doesn’t help,” [Scott] says, his voice getting louder. “It’s like you and those videos you’ve made. I’ve seen them. Everybody’s seen them. Laura’s watched them and is getting madder and madder. They don’t help. They just get people stirred up and angry. I never understood why you kids feel the need to share so much. Every damn thought you have goes online. I just don’t get it.”
END QUOTE

While Hunter isn’t convinced that his videos aren’t helping to prick the consciences or stir the memories of anyone with information about Chloe’s disappearance, he does agree that they’re not working quickly enough. Driven to desperation by Chloe’s continuing absence and by the treatment he’s getting from the police and from suspicious townsfolk, Hunter decides to take matters into his own hands. With help from his sister Olivia and her girlfriend Gabriela, he sets out to search for the secret journal they know Chloe hid somewhere, in hopes it will contain clues to help them find her. But will the information Hunter uncovers only incriminate him further, as he slowly pieces together what really happened that fateful night?

This was a very well-plotted and multilayered Young Adult thriller that totally zigged when I thought it would zag. Hunter is a terrific and entirely believable protagonist. He might act rashly, but he never acts any more stupidly than the average desperate teenager might, and I was completely in his corner throughout.

It helps that David Bell takes such excellent pains to show how oblivious Hunter can be, and how relatively privileged he is compared to the women and minorities in his personal orbit. Crucially, however, Hunter learns as he goes. Here, he’s relating in one of his videos a lesson Chloe taught him after a strange girl suddenly inserted herself into a date they were having at the mall. Chloe acted like it was totally normal, sharing her food with the girl then walking her out to where the girl’s mom had been called to pick her up. Hunter was completely mystified and bemused by how Chloe welcomed the gatecrasher. Afterwards, Chloe explained to him how she had automatically known that the girl was being bothered by a stranger and needed their company:

“‘[G]irls are taught that if they’re ever in that situation, they should go up to another girl and act like they know each other. Just start talking. And we’re all supposed to know to play along because then the creep will think the girl is with other friends, and he’ll leave her alone. That’s what that girl was doing.’”

“‘And you just knew what to do,’ I asked.”

“‘Women have to know how to do those things, Hunter,’ Chloe said. ‘We’re always in those situations where we have to deal with that crap. I just did my best for her. That’s all I could do. No, I had to do it.’”
END QUOTE

Chloe is a wonderful character, making readers root for Hunter to find her quickly so that the young lovers can be reunited. Of course, the story here isn’t as straightforward as all that, making for an excellent if sobering read that is unafraid to talk about the impact social issues have on all of us, and how we learn to cope with them across genders, generations and other divides.
I really enjoyed the twist of this, but the beginning was really hard to get through. Specifically because I hated hunter. He was making a missing girl's case about him, and it honestly didn't seem like he had thought anything through. But the twist was really interesting, and as someone who reads a lot of YA mystery, I was pleasantly surprised. Overall a good mystery.