Cover Image: Fostered

Fostered

This was an eye opening book about a young girl and her experiences with the foster care system and the issues that had her placed within the system.  The story is told through a Christian perspective and there is a lot of wisdom and insight from this young woman who has been through so much in her life.  It definitely challenged me in my walk through being a part of the foster system as foster parents.

Thanks so much to netgalley and the publisher for the arc.  The opinions are my own.
One of my dreams is to foster children/teenagers.
Many people foster because they want or can’t have kids, if I foster it will be because I want to show others what true love looks like- holy, sweet, patient and kind.

I come from a family that has dealt with the foster/adoption system. I’ve seen what love and lack of it can do to the life of a child as he grows older.

But even so, I have not personally experienced what it is like, I haven’t been in the shoes of those struggling in the foster care system.

This book is so beautiful and raw. It is a collection of stories that highlight aspects of Tori’s foster care life but also shine truth with reflections of the past under the light of Jesus’ love.

My heart has been challenged- not only to just be an eventual foster parent that gives it’s all, but a loving neighbor, sister, friend, mentor, and daughter…
To be that person who makes you feel loved and heard when no one else does, to be hospitable and sacrifice my own comfort for those of others- to expect miracles in a world where they’ve been forgotten.

Tori, thank you for your beautiful words. You can be sure that God indeed used “what was intended for evil” for good. So much good.
In Fostered, Tori Hope Petersen shares her experiences living with an abusive mother and also what it was like for her in the foster care system. She writes well and offers many insights and opinions  about the system.

I found the book quite engrossing at times and, as she warns her readers in the introduction, very hard to read at other times, Her faith made all the difference in the world and you can’t help but be glad for her. Apparently, most foster kids do not often end up that way.

4 stars.
I really enjoyed this memoir by Tori Petersen! She shares openly the challenges she faced being moved around to several different foster homes over and over throughout her childhood and teenage years and the impact all of these placements had on her development into an adult and active advocate for foster families and foster children. Through Tori's story it becomes apparent that she is a very resilient person who took the challenges of her past as opportunities to learn and grow in the future. She is clearly a success story, where many young people who had similar childhoods may find themselves down a very different path such as prison, unwanted pregnancies, poverty or addiction. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in memoirs, especially those related to childhood trauma and overcoming obstacles in life, as well as anyone who is particularly interested in the foster care system in the United States.

Thanks so much to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book!