Cover Image: Radical Love

Radical Love

We watched Chuck pretty religiously when it was airing. We have since loved following along with Zac as he takes on various roles.

When I saw he had a book coming out I was so excited. I love when we get an inside life into the actual person who plays some of our favorite characters.

I was shocked to see that he has had so very many struggles. Especially with his parents. We had a similar childhood in that regard and it was nice to know I'm not alone in that.

This was a tad heavy handed on the God aspect. I didn't hate that, but I also didn't love it.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the advanced copy of this read.
Radical Love talks about Zachary's emotional journey through anxiety and depression and how he managed to find happiness and joy by facing the darkest corners of his mind. Childhood trauma does affect one in adult life and unless one revisits the traumatic events, forgives their inner child and makes peace with the past, it continues to haunt forever.

Zach also talks about generational trauma - not just hereditary but also how our parents and their ancestors' upbringing affects our lives.

The one thing that struck with me the most is, Zach talking about how Mental health is as (or more) important than physical health. When we fall sick (physical illness), people do ask about our well-being but when someone is going through emotional issues, people try to avoid or keep distance.

Radical Love is an honest and unfiltered story of Zach's journey from depression to happiness.
Thank you Netgalley for the advance reader copy of Radical Love by Zachary Levi in exchange for an honest review. I have been a fan of Zachary Levi since Chuck and find him to be an amazing actor. It's always refreshing to find out that no one is perfect and everyone has problems. I was amazed reading about his life and what he did to try to find peace and happiness. I've always approached my own mental health issues with a logical brain and tried to fix things, and it's so nice to discover other people like that. This book just made me like Zachary Levi more and appreciate his acting more too.
Maybe you know him as Chuck, maybe you know him as Shazaam or maybe you don't know him at all. What makes Zac Levi's journey worth reading is not his celebrity but the human angle where he lays it all down just to bring the message that mental health is indeed important and something that shouldn't be seen as shameful.

Using examples from his own life, Zac talks about his journey to mental wellness. He doesn't promise that it's a once and done fix but a life long journey.  For readers suffering mental illness, he wants you to know you are not alone.

This book was a compelling read and I read it in an evening.  Yes, I got it free in an exchange for an honest review but I would recommend this on and am buying it for my library system.
I knew of Zachary Levi from Chuck and Shazam, but never enough about his life to be considered a fan. Soon as I started reading Radical Love, I just wanted to give him a hug. Zac shares his struggles with a difficult family dynamic, and his own mental health crisis. He is honest and raw, and holds nothing back on how he has struggled all his life with self love. I commend him for writing such an open and honest book for all to read. As a person who also struggles with mental health, it's refreshing to see a celebrity be honest with their issues also. Zac's book made me feel loved, and I hope he continues to love himself.
Radical Love by Zachary Levi is a self-reflection of the actor's life and what led him to the depths of despair. Like many actors, Levi appears to have it all, but he has childhood trauma and an unhealthy dose of self-doubt. He gets so desperate that he checks himself into a residential therapy program to essentially save his own life.

I enjoyed Levi in his first known role in Less Than Perfect but in recent years, I have followed him on Instagram where he has shared some really candid and sincere thoughts regarding mental health. He is using his platform online and through this book to bring self-care in regard to one's mental health to light. While some parts of the book feel like he's simply repeating what he learned or heard in therapy, but overall it is an authentic and cathartic  reflection on his journey to improve himself despite his past traumas.
Through his personal story, Zachary Levi argues the importance of radical self-love and acceptance. There is a fine balance between anecdotes and auto-biography, and mental health advocacy and helpful tips.

Levi doesn't shy away from admitting what could be considered as faults or weaknesses to walk us through his journey, leaving us with a sentiment of authentic honesty.
He explains life in Hollywood from an insider's point-of-view, and goes through many significant relationships in his life, notably his mother and an ex-partner.

Even though it sometimes feels like the narrative is jumping from topic to topic without much of a thread, it ends up tied together through Levi's mental health progress, which he mentions after retelling his memories.

Personal comment: Reading Levi's story felt very liberating and validating. As someone also struggling with mental health issues, being reminded that I am not alone always helps. I believe everyone can benefit from knowing that even the façade of "rich, successful actor" can hide mental health struggles and that everyone can and should care for their mental well-being.
Levi's story is one of pain and trauma, but also of recovery and hope and self-love, one that doesn't end in a perfect "and all was well" but in a truthful, real message that "we need help, we need each other" and through this hard work, we can all learn to love ourselves and ultimately, be happy.

I would recommend to anyone.

Thank you NetGalley and HarperCollins for the opportunity to read an Advanced Copy.
This book is an interesting insight into the life of an actor who always projected a happy and bubbly personality. I am a longtime fan of his work, both professional and philanthropically. It was both heartbreaking and enlightening to learn his story and how he put in the work to build a better foundation for himself.
I didn’t know much about Zachary Levi before reading his first book. I loved his show Chuck, but that’s the extent of my knowledge of him. I so appreciated his honesty and vulnerability in sharing the story of his depression. As someone who lives with depression, it is always nice to know I am not alone. It was conversational in tone, but he didn’t hide or sugarcoat anything. I truly loved this.
This memoir is a honest and breath-taking depiction of a man struggling with mental health and childhood trauma. Levi is open about his struggles, both personally and professionally, and his depiction of his breakdown and recovery is brutal and heartbreaking. He does not shy away from the emotional aspects of his struggles, allowing the reader to understand the steps that both caused his breakdown and his road to finding peace and self-love. Being a huge fan of Levi's, I was aware of his struggles, but not to the extent that is revealed within the pages of this book. This is a must read for everyone.
This was an honest and open conversation by Zachary Levi about mental. I was not aware that he was struggling with any issues, only his what he portrayed onscreen, but as we seen in the past, we can never be sure about what internal struggles any individual is going through. It should like he has come to terms with many issues or at least has a coping mechanism to help him when anything arises.
What a wonderful, honest read. In Radical Love, Zachary Levi recounts how he's grappled with anxiety and depression, that stems from childhood trauma and the moment he hit "rock bottom."  Pulling from his own experience, he is sharing lessons he's learned along the way in order to help readers heal from their own traumas. A must-read.