Cover Image: Radical Love

Radical Love

A thoughtful look inside Zachary Levi's life and struggles. Zachary writes with in a very straightforward, down to earth manner to reach out to others that may be able to find help from his journey.
Zachary Levi wrote an unflinchingly honesty and raw look into his life and journey with mental health and self-love. He said so many profound things that will stick with me long after I finished this book. The only thing that took me out of the book was that I felt the timeline kept jumping back and forth, so it was hard to follow at times. But other than that, I appreciated his candid views on his complicated relationships with his family, friends and the different things he’s gone through in his life. Love and acceptance are not always easy to feel like we’re deserving of, but I feel closer now that I’ve read this book.
I have been a fan of Zachary Levi's since Chuck. I used to watch it with my dad and now I have even gotten my older kids to watch that show with me.  He just always seemed like a nice funny goofy guy.  The type of famous person that you would want to hangout with and wouldn't make you feel like you were less than.  I still think those things, however, I had no idea how much pain he's been hiding.

This book lays all of that bare.  From his trauma from being raised by a narcissistic emotional abusive mother to how that shaped him as an adult.  How mental health has peeks and valleys and it's a journey not a destination.  This book is incredibly validating to anyone that has struggled with mental health issues.  It is emotional and raw and I can only imagine that it must feel like walking around in public naked.  I really appreciate his purpose in trying to help others get through their own struggles.

I am not a religious person myself and the author is.  He discusses his religion and how that impacted his mental health journey and what it means to him.  It never came across as preachy or judgemental.  It was more informative on how it shaped him.
I love Zachary Levi and I have ever since I watched Chuck for the very first time. But I love and respect him so much more after reading this book. For me this book hit home and so many ways. I had no idea we basically grew up in the same areas, we had similar family Dynamics (and also completely different such as family is), and share a lot of the same belief systems and struggles with abuse and fear. If you are a person who deals with abuse on any level this book will be good for you to read. It Will help you feel less alone. And it also shows the ways that Zachary chose to fight against his very nature and the past that wanted him to fail, showing you that you too can break the cycle that his family started generations ago. He is an excellent example of being a human being who is willing to grow and fight for what is right even though it is one of the hardest things you will ever do. He is beautifully imperfect, as you are as well. If you are interested in breaking the cycle of abuse in your family, you need to read this book. If you like Zachary Levi you need to read this book, if you want to laugh or cry, you should read this book. If you want to learn how to forgive and move forward in your life, and if you love god, you should read this book. Even if none of those things apply you should still read this book. Zach, Well done sir. Thank you #netgalley for the advanced readers copy. I loved it.
This book was like breaking open Zachary Levi and experiencing every trauma-filled moment of his life. I loved this book. He was so open and vulnerable, honest and even brave to share his story. Everyone, whether they experience mental health problems or not, would benefit from reading this book. It's better than any self-help, and his writing is so so good. I couldn't put it down. Beautiful, heart-wrenching, touching. And the profound truth that any type of healing at any journey of your life is a daily process. Thank you, Zachary Levi, for writing this book and sharing your story.
Zach truly has compassion for people who haven't learned how to love. His biography is heart breaking and it reminds us that just because someone looks like they have the perfect life doesn't mean they do. There isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said in these fantastic reviews other than I'm grateful to Zach for writing this book.
A heartbreaking yet hopeful story about the battle with mental health and generational trauma. Levi not only shares his experience, he genuinely encourages readers to seek out help to better their own lives, understanding it is a lifelong process. It’s a story filled with heartache, love, and faith. A must read.
Radical Love by Zachary Levi is a moving memoir that explores mental health in a fresh, witty way. I've been a fan of Zachary Levi since the Chuck television show and I've always admired his faith and exuberance. It was emotional to read about his struggles but I loved the little glimmers of hope and humor he interjected into those darker retellings. As someone who has also suffered with the same crippling anxiety and depression he described, it was refreshing to hear about his methods of finding his joy again. I would definitely recommend this memoir to anyone who has ever felt like they weren't enough.
As a long-time fan of Chuck, a character that would not be as loveable if not for the actor portraying him, I saw the incredible Zachary Levi on the cover and without reading the synopsis knew that I needed to read this book.

I put off reading this ARC for a little while. I would go to load the book and start reading and it just didn't feel right. Once I read the synopsis and saw the content included (Zachary's struggles with depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts) I found that for me I needed to hear Zachary share his story with me, not just in his words, but in his voice. I waited for the audio to come out which allowed me to hear Zachary's voice and not Chuck's.

I am a person that tries not to look into celebrities personal lives as a sign of respect for their privacy. Wanting to hear or see all the celebrity gossip leads to a need for paparazzi and puts celebrities an their families lives in danger. After seeing how impactful that is to celebrities, especially when there are mental health struggles, I feel wrong seeking out information that invades celebrity's privacy and leads to them being harassed and betrayed by people they trusted in the tabloids. I choose to only engage in memoirs, autobiographies, and occasionally information that they choose to share on social. Because of this stance, I was unaware of the struggles that Zachary was dealing with in life.

Radical Love is a raw and emotion look into the life of Zachary Levi. His willingness to share his journey with others who may be struggling is brave and a testament to his character. It is mind-blowing when you look at the world from someone else's perspective, me sitting at home binging on Chuck and finding that this helped bring joy and laughter during my dark times, I never would have expected the man behind the character to be struggling and contemplating removing himself from this world. While his healing and his journey do include his faith and his relationship with God (not something that I personally include in my life) this was not off-putting or a deterrent to the narrative, what works for one person may not work for another.

For anyone on their own healing/mental health journey, for anyone who believes that celebrities have it easy, that they signed up for it, that they are rich and famous so they couldn't possibly have struggles, this would be an great book to read/listen to (there is something different and special hearing it in their own voice).
Radical Love is a powerful memoir that gives you insight into a seemingly happy and bubbly actor who was actually really struggling behind the scenes. I loved Levi’s raw honesty about this and how it discussed the viscous cycle of abuse. I knew who Levi was but didn’t know much about him but after reading this I am a huge fan. This book is a great discussion of mental health.

Overall, this was a 4.75 for me. Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Horizon for a copy in exchange for an honest review.
This book is so uplifting but so heartbreaking, Zachary sharing his journey to better mental health and self-love is very courageous. This is the kind of book we need in the world to show that we all go through similar things and it's nothing to be ashamed of.
Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley for the advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest, personal review. First off, let me just say wow! Such a vulnerable insight into Mr. Levi's struggle with mental health. He was very open and it goes to show you, that just because someone has a smile on their face or looks like they have everything in life going for them, they could be struggling on the inside. Sharing what he has gone through and what he has learned in the process, will help others who are going through the same things and feeling like they are alone. You just want to hug him in parts of the book and I liked the fact that he showed, that while mental health issues can be managed, they are never truly cured and it is a daily process to work through. Thank you for sharing your story!
Radical Love by Zachary Levi is a memoir that deals with the author's issues with anxiety and depression.  Levi talks very honestly about how crippling his anxiety was and how hard it was to overcome that anxiety due to his very difficult upbringing.  He talks about how important it was for him to get help and to have a support system in place.  His honesty in this book made it a little difficult to read at times, but I appreciate his candor.  Thanks to NetGalley for the free digital review copy.  All opinions are my own.
I've been a fan of Zachary Levi's since "Chuck" and "Shazam" so I was very excited to see that he has a new memoir. In "Radical Love: Learning to Accept Yourself and Others", Levi opens up about a variety of issues: his troubled childhood, his failed marriage, and his numerous thoughts of self-harm and suicide. In his memoir, Levi speaks with transparency and honesty, allowing his readers to see his innermost thoughts. I appreciated his thoughts on the two broad categories of anxious people: those who are anxious about things they can't control, and those who are anxious about the things they can. I could really understand this on a personal level.

I really enjoyed this book, although reading about his childhood made me sad. I'm so thankful that he was able to get help, and has decided that the cycle of abuse and self-harm will stop with him. Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC. All opinions are my own.
I picked up this book because I’m a fan of this author/actor, I’m curious, and because I respect his courage. I didn’t expect to relate with the author’s experiences as much as I did. I’m talking a-ha moments and highlighting and nodding. Those nuggets are golden.

He discusses (without the terminology) toxic shame—where a person is ashamed of their own existence, not something specific they’ve done. This is generalized, not a one-time sensation. They’re ashamed of their human condition. Toxic shame dictates that we be perfect, which, of course, is impossible. If we fail, we are unlovable. And who can live with that? So we act out, and we live in cycles of self-defeating choices.

At length, he discusses the relatable mistake of giving others the “right” or “power” to opine about our value. Letting others’ opinions mean more than our own, about ourselves, is a recipe for a breakdown. We don’t know what they’re thinking. We can only guess. And chances are that all our guesses are accusatory. It’s a dizzying, life-sucking spiral. The antidote? Self-love. Learning self worth and the worth of others. (Every person is equally valuable.) Psychological healing. Learning to let our own self-opinion weigh more than anyone else’s (without becoming narcissistic, of course). (In my own words: balancing confidence with humility, like Jesus did.)

Zac mentions the challenges of cognitive dissonance, and how it can be crazy making to follow a path when you know it’s not the right one, yet somehow you can’t break away. Something has to change, or be healed, to interrupt the cycle. That takes work, and Zac encourages all of us to do it by getting therapy and learning what makes us who we are, what scripts we rehearse, and how to overcome old coping mechanisms that no longer serve us.

Two more notes: From following Zac on social media, I know he loves Jesus. He's wise and believes in noble virtues like loving ourselves so we can love others (like Jesus taught). And the second note is a language warning. The raw approach the author takes comes without a filter. You will find potentially triggering/offensive word usage here, especially when he quotes other people in his life. Also, be prepared for myriad uses of the F-word.

I'm finding myself having to process what I'm reading and how it connects with me, so I haven't quite finished the book, but I wanted to post my review before any more time had passed since publication. My gratitude goes to the author and publisher. Thanks for putting this out there. I hope it helps a lot of people.

For readers interested in self-discovery, loving one’s self, loving others, psychology, and a behind-the-scenes view into a gifted actor's life and story, don't miss this book.
This book was so good. Zachary Levi always plays very energetic, happy-go-lucky type characters and is very good at his job. I NEVER would have guessed his struggles with trauma and mental illness. It is so wonderful for a person with his platform to write about depression, anxiety, and therapy because it helps to normalize what so many people are going through. There was quite a bit of talk about religion, he had a religious upbringing and at a certain point in life felt like he lost his faith. However, I wouldn't consider this an overtly religious book. I highly recommend this book to anyone, but especially people who need a reminder of their self worth and that they are worthy of love and all good things.
Thank you NetGalley and publisher for the e-ARC.

I was intrigued to pick this book because THE Zachary Levi aka Flynn Rider is writing a book about his journey on struggling over mental health issues!! I know him as a great bright and funny Hollywood actor but I didn't know that he had through a lot, it brokes me a little. And I didn't regret to get through this book.

Just like the author wrote, this book is about a journey to get better mental health. Reading this book is like a going through a personal journal because it's undoubtedly honestly personal. The way it's written it's like listening to the story from your old-friend, that he haven't told anyone before. It's raw, revealing, and also relieving. It's also like getting on a journey together and discovering it together, rather than just an expert telling you to do this and that.

I've also learned a lot from this book, especially about generational trauma caused by your own family—its open my eyes to something I just realized happened to my own family—and that's so close to home. Overall, I like the way it's written and the message he's trying to share through this book.
I'm not sure what I was expecting with this one, I'm familiar with Zachary Levi's career and was curious about his story... I think I was expecting a little more self-help and self-care revelations, for example, a step-by-step guide on how to cope with trauma.

There's no sugar coating here, there's no self-deprecation by the author... it's just a straight, to the point look at someone being on the brink of taking their life and coming to realize they need help, finding that help by going into therapy, setting boundaries with those who are (and have been) a toxic influence, and an acceptance of having to re-think expectations when it comes to forgiveness.

What struck me while reading this book was the tone with which Zachary seemed to take when describing the negative voices in his head (almost childlike) and how while in therapy he was able to find a place that was not a one size fits all solution, his process involved multiple types of therapy (i.e. Art, Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), Exercise, etc.).

With Zachary's story I got a wonderful glimpse into how mental health and generational trauma can affect a person's life, how one person can continue to struggle well into adulthood and begin to create and heal their own journey from a male perspective.
Zachary Levi is a gem of a human being. I love the honesty that he has given in this book. As well as bringing awareness to Mental Health. With Hollywood and this digital age, there is this illusion that everything and everyone is perfect. In reality, there is so much going on behind the scenes- old traumas and insecurities-and sometime you just need more support. Thank you Zachary for being brave, being an advocate for mental health and your beautiful words!
Part self-help, part memoir, Radical Love is touching and a must read for those of us who have battled mental health issues.

I rarely read these kind of books, but as a fan of Zachary Levi, I decided to give it a chance and I’m so glad I did. It’s open and vulnerable, helpful without being preachy.