Cover Image: When Women Lead

When Women Lead

This one is a good book to read if you are having second thoughts about your abilities in your workplace. It will certainly inspire you. Although for a very seasoned self help book reader, this book has not offered a lot of ordinary ideas that I will say 'oh this one is not your usual stereotyped book!' coz it will eventually read like that.

However, if you're just starting in the self help reading journey, you will find this one to be an inspiring especially if you are trying to lead or bring yourself to the top in your job.
Using her own experiences, Julia tells the readers what is happening when women take up leadership in organizations. While this book seems personal, the author also provides various researches to support the arguments throughout the book. Overall, it is a delightful read and I really appreciate the author's efforts behind this book!
Leadership is not about women only, it is a non-gender related confidence of communal power and support, striving to reach goals for the best of team, business and humanity. The book provides interesting examples that teach empathy and resilience, support and confidence, learning by doing and creating new things to covers gaps. The stories are very powerful and you learn as you read.
Boorstin did an exceptional job of laying out the disparate realities that women and men face in the workplace, and especially in the realm of entrepreneurship, through a series of personal stories that are seamlessly interwoven with studies and data showcasing the gender divide and its implications.

This book really resonated with me. It was upsetting to see how much of Boorstin’s experiences and those of the women that she interviewed mirrored my own, and undoubtedly reflect the circumstances that countless women endure on a daily basis in their professional lives.

I really appreciated how Boorstin highlighted the advantages of having females in leadership with quantifiable data and facts. It helped reinforce something that I believe myself and many other women are already aware of, and I almost thought it would be more helpful for men to read this book to gain a deeper understanding of the advantages that women bring to the table.

I do wish there had been a greater focus on how to navigate these challenges. For example, Boorstin mentioned that female CEOs of start-ups tend to have more success obtaining funding if their business has a social purpose. I thought that this was a very useful and practical bit of advice that could be applied on an individual level, and would have liked to see more similar tips. However, Boorstin makes it clear that systemic change is needed to address a majority of the problems facing female leaders, and, accordingly, this book just left me feeling largely frustrated and upset about the current state of the world.

It truly was an exceptionally done inside look at women who lead, and I’m very glad that I read this one.

Thank you to Simon & Schuster and NetGalley for the ARC.
Thank you @netgalley for the eARC in exchange for a review

It's been a while since I've read a nonfiction, and it's been even longer since I've read feminist literature. This book definitely grabbed my attention, although we've been talking about leadership in science for quite a while.

First of all, I'm genuinely shocked by author's personal experience. Right from the beginning we are put into to the world where you have to put on a mask of resilience and "genderlessness" in order to be acknowledged by your colleagues.

From my personal experience as a woman in science it was never as harsh as for Julia. When she cites her mother saying "when you grow up, you can be anything you want" (loosely phrased here) and later tells us that she still agrees with this statement only partially, I rather disagree. BUT it hurts to know that in other professions, maybe in other countries women still cannot get leading positions just cause they are not males.

The book reads like a mémoir with many personal stories, rather than a study. The sense of admiration for women Julia interviewed is almost palpable so overall it felt like a nice touch.