Cover Image: A Colorful Scheme

A Colorful Scheme

This is the fourth in the Pen & Ink series.  It is set in Washington, DC.
I enjoy this series.  Florrie Fox is investigating the death of Evan McDowell, Arthur’s assistant and a friend of Gabriella’s. During the investigation a wanna-be-journalist via the paparazzi route, Cara Denton is murdered and Florrie is Detective Bridges’ main suspect.

I liked that she contacted Eric whenever there was a series issue. Florrie does not intentionally disregard her safety while looking into the death of Evan.

Also, this story had multiple mysteries within it.  I enjoyed each one while they enhanced the overall story.  Without giving anything away, Maxwell’s sister is a royal pain and deserves to live with the consequences of her actions.  We are introduced to two part time employees of the bookstore which I feel will work out for all involved.  Florrie’s sister has tried her hand at wedding planning and discovers that may not be her forte. And last but not least, we learn a few facts about the writing and publishing industry.

All the mysteries and their outcomes were well-plotted and showed us that the characters had believable lives.  I am looking forward to the next book.

I was given an advanced readers’ copy and am not required to leave a positive review.  I chose to do so.
bookseller, abduction, paparazzi, family-drama, family-dynamics, friendship, amateur-sleuth, law-enforcement, wedding-madness, cozy-mystery, Washington DC, investigation, murder, murder-investigation, famous-author, series****

A wedding/remarried masquerading as a "simple party" ends up by digging up the old abduction of their daughter some years ago and a dead man in the swimming pool. Florrie is in the middle of it all and winds up investigating even as she is one of the many suspects. Good character involvement, story development, plot twists, and red herrings. Another good read. Fascinating characters and creative sleuthing make this a great story right to the end! The publisher's blurb is a pretty good hook, so no recap on that, and spoilers are just wrong.
I requested and received a free e-book copy from Kensington Books via NetGalley. Thank you!
Coloring-book creator and Washington, DC, bookstore manager Florrie Fox is attending the wedding of her wealthy boss and a famous romance author, who are taking their vows—for the second time—on the grounds of the gorgeous Maxwell mansion.  But it soon becomes clear that the soothing vibe of coloring books is very different from the stress and backstabbing in some corners of the literary world.

Arthur Bedlingham, for example, barely makes a living despite the many awards he’s won—and his chances for better sales haven’t been helped by the vicious review he just got from another guest at the party. Then there’s an ex–FBI agent whose popular thrillers are a magnet for female fans; a less-successful romance writer; and an ambitious waitress who’s intent on a career in journalism.

When Arthur’s assistant, an aspiring writer, is murdered during the festivities, Florrie realizes this is no color-by-numbers case, and she’ll have to sort out the complicated secrets among this creative crowd of suspects . . .

This is the 4th book in the Pen & Ink Mysteries series. I am thoroughly enjoying this series. Florrie and this cast of characters are so fun to read about and I would just love to visit Color Me Read, if it were a real bookstore.

I typically have an idea as to who the killer is as I’m reading but I really didn’t know who it was this time. I did have a guess about a little spoiler at the end of the story that was correct but that was not related to the murders.

Thank you NetGalley and Kensington Publishing corporation for this ARC.
I have really enjoyed this series.  A Colorful Scheme is a great addition.  Florrie Fox, coloring book artist, manages a bookstore, Color Me Read, in Georgetown, DC for Professor John Maxwell and lives in the carriage house behind his mansion.  Professor Maxwell and his lovely former wife and author Jacquie are throwing a party for five hundred friends and what most don't know is that they will get married again during the party.  Many of their author friends and others in the writing industry are invited.  What a fun time until the next morning when the body of a young man and struggling author is found in the pool.  Florrie is good at solving murders and sets out to find answers.  And there are many possible suspects to check out, including some of the author friends.  Maybe even Florrie when another person is killed.  But her boyfriend and police officer Eric is a good character witness.  There is a lot of action going on in the story with many twists and turns going in different directions.  Interesting recurring characters sprinkle the series, and the bookstore setting is fun.  Cozy mystery lovers are sure to enjoy this page turner and the whole series.
I received a complimentary copy from Kensington Books and NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review.  All thoughts are mine only.
I love every series from author and this book is no exception. Well written, interesting storyline and characters that are easy to fall for. Highly recommend!!
A COLORFUL SCHEME is the fourth book in the Pen & Ink Mystery series by Krista Davis. You can always count on this author delivering a topnotch story with a riveting mystery, colorful characters, and a charming setting, and this newest release doesn’t disappoint. Protagonist Florrie Fox is a delightful young woman, sweet as she is kind, to both her friends and customers alike. Not only does she manage a bookstore, but she’s also a talented adult coloring book creator. The supporting characters are equally well-rounded and are people you’d like to spend time with. I enjoyed that Florrie’s sister, Veronica, has a greater role in the story, acting as the wedding planner for Florrie’s wealthy boss who is marrying a famous romance author (their second time marrying). A bit of humor is thrown in with Veronica needing to tackle wedding plan issues… until an issue turns serious with the discovery that the bride is missing.

There are multi-faceted mysteries for the reader to muse over in the story and I greatly enjoyed the literary thread of writing and publishing set amongst the wedding festivities. From an agent, to authors, to author and journalist wannabes, to a literary critic, Ms. Davis creates stressful situations that might lead to strife and even murder. On top of that, Florrie discovers she has a stalker who won’t leave her alone even when confronted. When a murder victim is discovered after the wedding festivities, Florrie can’t help but become involved. With plenty of suspects to choose from (there were over 500 guests at the wedding and reception!) it takes Florrie’s sharp mind and colorful art pencils to narrow down the list. The creative use of Florrie’s artistic skills to capture details of the people and clues involved in the case is unique and added another layer of entertainment to her sleuthing. I’ll admit I was way off the mark in guessing who the culprit was, but it was a fun read following along with Florrie’s investigations. As the story concluded, all questions were answered and the subplots fit together quite satisfactorily. It left me wanting to immediately color the inviting coloring book cover before picking up the next book in the series.
This is a well-written cozy mystery, and it was fun to sleuth things out with the characters. As a booklover, I loved the bookstore addition. This appears to be part of a series, which I haven't read. This made sense as a standalone novel.  While I read an electronic version of the story, I think a print copy, where you can color the cover, would be quite enjoyable.
A Colorful Scheme by Krista Davis is book #4 in the Pen and Ink series. This was a truly fascinating whodunit. Following the festivities surrounding the wedding of John Maxwell and Jacqueline Liebhaber the aspiring author Evan McDowell, who also is the assistant to author Arthur Bedlingham, was found dead in the swimming pool at the Maxwell estate. From the time of the discovery of the body I was hooked on finding out who the murderer was. It was fun following the logic of amateur sleuth Florrie Fox as she worked on solving the mystery. I look forward to the next book in the series.
It’s Wedding Time for Florrie's boss everything is beautiful and seems nothing could go wrong until a dead body is found the Sunday after the wedding. Florrie is an interesting, smart, and capable character. The mystery moves at a smooth pace, with plenty of well-placed red herrings to keep the reader glued to the page. The book is an adventure from page one until the exciting ending. I recommend this book to cozy mystery fans.

All thoughts and opinions are my own, and I have not been influenced by anyone.
I enjoy the characters and the setting. They all have a nice relationship The mystery kept me guessing, and I like how when you get the physical book, you'll be able to color the cover.
Thank you to the author, publisher and NetGalley for my eARC in exchange for an honest review.
Florrie Fox is caught up in the nuptials of her boss/landlord to his first wife, a romance author.  When one of the bride's literary guests assistant is found dead, what could be the motive?  The writer has fallen on hard times and now without an assistant will the reviews of current works keep failing the reviewer's expectations or is there another root cause related to the murder?

Colorful characters and beautiful setttings!
A Colorful Scheme is a hit! Davis has a way of bringing her characters to life and using the setting as an integral part of the story. Florrie helps its the wedding of friends, at which a guest is murdered. A friend becomes the prime suspect so Florrie investigates. One of my favorite parts of any Davis book is the characters introduced along the way, and A Colorful Scheme did not disappoint.
I'd give 'A Colorful Scheme' 10 stars if I could.  I so thoroughly enjoy Florrie Fox as the main character.  She is a joy.  The series is filled with wonderful characters and tantalizing mysteries that are sometimes resolved and sometimes ongoing.  Such is the case with Krista Davis' latest offering.  My only problem with the series is the wait in between.  The next book cannot come soon enough for me.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.  The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
A Colorful Scheme is the 4th book in the Pen & Ink Mystery series by  Krista Davis and it is just as enjoyable as the other books! This cozy mystery series has everything I like including likable and interesting characters, family, friendship, romance (clean), and an intriguing cozy mystery.  In this book, Florrie Fox and her sister Veronica are helping with her boss's wedding. Florrie manages Color Me Read Bookstore, creates adult coloring books,, and lives in the carriage house at her boss Professor Maxwell's mansion in Georgetown.  Professor Maxwell is remarrying Jacquie. One of Jacquie's old boyfriends who is an author, Arthur Bedlington,  shows up to the party along with his assistant Evan. There are several other authors at the party  along with some relatives and neighbors.  Arthur's assistant ends up dead at the end of the party. There are a lot of people mentioned but the suspect list isn't that many people luckily. Through Arthur, Florrie meets Jezebel and Gabriella, both wonderful characters. Florrie's boyfriend is Detective Eric Jonquil who is another good character as well as her sister Veronica and the butler, Mr. DuBois.. Florrie is a strong independent leading lady with common sense and of course an inquisitive nature.. Her sketches add to solving the mystery and gives it an unique perspective. The characters are really what makes this cozy mystery so enjoyable!
This is a series I always look forward to and they continue to be wonderful! #NetGalley #AColorfulScheme #KensingtonBooks
A Colorful Scheme by Krista Davis. I totally enjoyed this latest in the Color Me Read series.  It is always fun to catch up with all of the usual characters and loved the addition of Jezebel to the bookstore staff. The story moved along at a quick pace and I didn’t figure out the murderer until it was presented. As it should be. Grab this for a fun summer read.  Thank you Net Galley for the opportunity to read this book.
This series follows Florrie Fox, a bookstore manager and coloring book artist. She runs the bookstore for her boss Maxwell who is marrying his ex-wife again in this book!  There is a body found in the pool after the wedding and some mysterious happenings surrounding the new wife Jacquie and her old boyfriend. This mystery also dredges up old issues surrounding Jacquie and Maxwell's missing daughter.
Florrie gets wrapped up deeper in the mystery when she herself becomes a suspect in another attack. There are multiple mysteries and lots to be intrigued by in the story.
This was my first read in the Pen & Ink series, and it was all right for me. I found it frustrating that, almost halfway through the book, they're still not even sure if a murder has taken place or not. It's hard to get invested in a solution when it might've been an accident. There are also a lot of characters and backstory, and maybe if I'd read the series from book 1, it would've been more cohesive and engaging for me? I read to the end, and I did want to know who the killer was, so it was successful in that regard. But...overall, it just was okay for me.

Review copy provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
A Colorful Scheme by Krista Davis  (Pen and Ink Mystery #4)  4 stars

Florrie Fox is busy managing the Color Me Read bookstore and helping her sister arrange her wealthy boss’s wedding to a well-known romance author.  A pre-wedding party is festive, with guests of the bride and groom celebrating the re-marriage of the couple.  Unfortunately, a party guest is found dead in the pool and the suspect list veers towards the bride’s guest list.  As more dead bodies pile up, Florrie needs to find the real culprit or the bride might end up in jail before the honeymoon.

This was an engaging cozy mystery with plenty of suspects to go around.  The red herrings were plentiful but the clues were there to be found.  I enjoyed this very much and am looking forward to the next book in this series.

Thank you Netgalley and Kensington Books for this ARC.
A murder at a wedding?  How can this happen and who did it?  Florrie really gets involved and into some scary situations.  The twists and turns in the story will keep you guessing.  This was a very good read and Jezebel is a delightful character.  Who is this Griffin Corbyn?  There are so many questions and the plot only thickens.   Once you get done reading the mystery then it is time to try the recipes.
The fourth in Krista Davis' Pen and Ink mystery series, A Colorful Scheme, is full of love, books, red herrings and murder.
Florrie Fox, manager of the Color Me Read bookstore, is happy to be attending the wedding of her boss, John Maxwell and his ex-wife Jacqueline Liebhaber. But when the bride disappears and then reappears before wedding and then Florrie finds a body floating in the pool the morning after the ceremony, the mystery ensues. A second murder, a stubborn police detective and more misdirection make this another winner for Davis.  Give it five stars and a bonus for colorable covers!