Cover Image: Me and My Dysphoria Monster

Me and My Dysphoria Monster

I love this story. It is simple yet it says so much. It describes how people feel when they are not seen for who they are. It doesn’t matter your age as Laura Kate Dale shows by introducing an older character named Jack.

Hui Qing Ang’s illustrations are simple. They are flat and do not really come alive off of the page. This could be intentional as the focus is on the message being conveyed in the story.

Overall, I think this is an excellent book that should be in libraries, schools, and on hand for anyone who is questioning or knows someone and needs help explaining. Love it.
We all need such books in our lives! Especially, in our kids’ lives.

It is important and cute at the same time. It is a perfect way to explain that the most significant thing is to be yourself. To not be afraid of thinking in different ways, to dress in other manner - just be a person you like the most.

I wish I have this book in other languages as well especially in countries where are a huge intolerance towards other sexuality and freedom.
Ahhhh! This book made me cry so many happy tears.  I love the author from the work she does in the video game commentary industry and add to it the talk of gender dysphoria aimed towards kids made this a must read for me.  She did a great job with the subject and I will definitely be buying it for my brother’s future child.  Also love the colors and artwork!
Gracias a Netgalley por esta copia a cambio de una reseña honesta.

Me and My Dysphoria Monster es un excelente libro para nuestros niños y adolescentes en el que se les explica sobre la disforia de género. Con este libro pueden aprender como se sienten las personas que no se sienten que forman parte de un género en específico. Es un recurso perfecto para que aprendan sobre un tema muy importante, ya que este les puede ayudar a ellos mismos o a alguien cerca a ellos.
This was such a great story for kids to see they're not alone, and that there's nothing wrong with feeling different! I really loved how this story talked about dysphoria and I feel like all kids need this story <3
Brilliant book on gender/dysphoria for children.
Beautifully illustrated, and easy to understand.

Nisha is a trans girl with a monster who grows and grows when she is misgendered by the world. Through the help of a trans man (Jack) and his own monster Nisha learns what gender is, what it is she is feeling, and what her monster represents and is able to make changes to life her true life with the help of her parents.

At the end of the book there are helpful resources for parents/guardians to help them understand their trans child and what to expect.
Great book on dysphoria and diversity, awesome for kids and parents. Would be great to have it in a classroom.
I wish i'd had this as a child. I would've had the words and known I wasn't alone so much sooner.

There are some draft errors (like on one page it says missing words and later some sentences just stop in the middle) but I got this from Netgalley and it is an e-arc draft so i'm not holding that against it.

Nisha is a trans girl. She has a dysphoria monster that keeps getting bigger as she's misgendered but then she comes out and has support and her monster gets smaller. At first she wanted her monster to just go away but with the help of an adult trans man learns what her monster was trying to tell her, and living as who she is makes her so much happier and confident. It's a beautiful story and has information for adults wanting to support trans kids after the story. I highly recommend this book!

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the e-arc.
A young brown-skinned child is confused about what is going on. The child doesn’t feel like a boy and wished they wouldn’t call the child a boy. Her monster only grows bigger every time someone comments on it. Nisha is talking to her mom about the monster listening to other people and not her. Her father introduces Nisha to Jack an Asian trans man. After getting some guidance from Jack, she talks to her parents about this. She gets to have the name Nisha and new clothes that are feminine and plays in girl sport teams. She gets her dysphoria monster under control.

This is a n excellent story about gender dysphoria that can open up discussions on this subject in a more simple and gentle way.. It is a realistic book with bright colorful illustrations. There is at the end of the book resources for parents to help them understand their child and what to expect. There are groups of people with trans kids that get together to understand their child better.
Wow! This book is so important for future generations. It’s so important to adults too. It does a wonderful job addressing the parts of someone they may not understand! I hope that everyone reads this to their kids, whether they are part of the community or not!
Okay this was just so cute and wholesome! It's a great story too if you want to show someone what being trans is like (or in any way gender diverse).
How I wish books like this had been around even a few years ago! Whilst it is designed primarily for children aged 6-10, I can see it being invaluable to those evne a little older to explain the often debilitating feeling of gender dysphoria. This is a feeling that affects so many people and Laura Kate Dale explains it in such a simple manner that isn't condescending in any way and (albeit for sad for those who struggle with it) reminds the reader they aren't alone with the struggle of what you see versus what you feel.

Hui Qing Ang's illustrations bring the book to life, and visualise the fact that others lack of support and understanding towards someone struggling to be their true selves can aggravate the gender dysphoria monster we all carry. It made me sad seeing the monster grow in the book, having felt and seen the consequences of not being able to truly embrace who I am and wanted to give Nisha a massive cuddle and reassure her it would be alright.

Me and My Gender Dysphoria Monster needs to be found on school shelves, doctors surgeries and the self of any child who is struggling to overcome their dysphoria. This is both a beautiful story and a wonderful teaching aid for children and adults alike with a section st the back for adults to help them with explanations, terminology and advice.

No one should ever be alone, or struggle and it's books like this that will prevent it. As my friend and I discussed when talking about Me and My Gender Dysphoria Monster, this will help cis children understand just what gender dysphoria is as well as validating transgender and nonbinary children's feelings and provide them with hope and the first tools to say 'This is Me.'

This is more than a book - it's a lifeline for children who are often scared and confused.
I think this book would be great to use for older primary age children who are starting to have an awareness, and discussion about trans people. It could be use to help an individual child to understand and express themself. It could be also use with peers to help them understand and show empathy for others.

The story of a monster following the little girl around, getting upset on her behalf when people treat her like a boy is a great analogy for how it must feel to be questioning your identify and gender expression at a young age.

The author has also included a guide for adults at the back of the book. This is a great help to educate themselves and navigate conversations with young people while ensuring they are using terminology correctly.
Me and My Dysphoria Monster is a beautiful story about Nisha, a young girl whose life is plagued by a monster that we come to learn is her gender dysphoria monster. It grows bigger and bigger when teachers and others misgender her, and really gets in the way of her making friends and doing the things she wants to do. It isn’t until Nisha meets another trans person, and starts to be affirmed in her identity, that she takes control back from the monster and lives the life she deserves.

As a psychologist who specializes in working with queer young people and their families, I know how difficult it can be to explain gender dysphoria to people young and old. This book does a lovely job of teaching children and their families about what its like to have your identity invalidated daily, and how powerful it is to affirm someone’s identity. I think the book does a great job of introducing pronouns to kids, and there’s a helpful guide for adults at the end to help them explain different concepts.

This book would be a great addition to any child’s collection — check it out and let me know what you think!

Out August 18!

Thanks NetGalley and the publisher for the eARC!
I am SO GLAD to see books like this becoming available for young readers!  Representation really matters and I think seeing yourself and the issues you encounter, on the page like this can make all the difference in the world! I really love how it was done in this one and the language that was used!

Books like this can only do good, in my mind.  Either you see yourself on the page (as a kid or adult reading with a kid) ... or you don't but you still learn kindness and acceptance for an experience you don't share. Absolutely recommend!!!
Thank you to Jessica Kingsley Publishers and NetGalley for sending me an early copy of this book to review!

The cover of this book instantly drew me in for a start. The vibrant colours are absolutely stunning and I was so pleased to then find these beautiful illustrations continue throughout the book.

A short but brave and informative little story about a girl called Nisha and her ever growing dysphoria "monster." This story sheds light on the difficulties young children face when they might not understand the feelings that they deal with surrounding their gender, and how they might approach talking to those around them about it for support.

I could go on and on forever about how important it is that this book is in the world. I wish I'd had when I was growing up. I know this book might not be meant for me now as an almost 27 year old with no children but as soon as I saw it, I had to have it. It just filled me with so much joy to know that this would be out in the world soon. It makes my heart happy to think about how many children this may help. Not only that, there is also a very informative adults guide in the back of the book detailing useful terminology and explanations, which I feel like anyone and everyone would benefit from reading.
I wish I had had this book available when I was a child, I think Nisha brings a voice to such an important monster that namelessly follows some children well into adulthood before they receive the language needed to identify the feelings of not belonging.

Immersed within dynamically illustrated pages, we meet NIsha who is heartbreakingly disconnected from their friends and family while they try to escape their monster. She can't escape it, no matter where she is or what she's doing. I found the descriptions to be so apt and easy for young readers to digest. The monster didn't listen to "reason", it didn't listen to Nisha, it only listened to what others were saying and it was a very successful way to talk about that nagging feeling that follows you when you know you're different from your closest friends and family.

"Our monster is that little voice that knows who we are, and who we want to be when we grow up, and it doesn't like to be ignored!" - Jack

I cannot rave enough about the inclusion of a trans adult friend of Nisha's father, who was happy to give her the language to name her monster and how to take steps to quiet it down. I loved that Nisha's family was immediately depicted to be supportive without any hesitation. I was relieved to find no external conflicts with her story, as we live it daily in the "real world" - so having a book that introduces the idea of radical and immediate acceptance is so vital to mental health and reinforcing to children that there is NOTHING wrong with them.

I will be acquiring a copy for our own home library as soon as it is published, I truly am thrilled it exists. The adult guide at the end was so gently informative and encompassed topics beyond the story itself, which I found to be such a fabulous way to expand on the conversation topics and introduce vocabulary that may be new to many adults.
Understanding the concept of dysphoria when you yourself have never experienced anything like it can be a bit difficult for some parents.

"When people refer to her as a boy, or when she tries to hide her true gender identity, Nisha's dysphoria monster grows larger and larger. Until, one day, Nisha meets Jack - a trans man - who shows Nisha how she can shrink her dysphoria monster back down to size."

Me and My Dysphoria Monster by Laura Kate Dale explains gender dysphoria in a way that is simplistic and easy for younger readers to understand. The illustrations are also lighthearted enough to balance the more serious topic at hand. With a wonderful "adult guide" at the end to help guide conversations with younger people, this book is a must have for diversity sections.

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishing for the opportunity to read and review.
This is a cute and colorful, if didactic, story about a kid dealing with dysphoria. What I appreciated is that it gives actionable advice for how to handle dysphoric feelings and experiences, and encourages adults to provide specific kinds of support.
Thank you to NetGalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishers for the opportunity to read and review this book.

This is a wonderful “guide” book for children, and parents, who need help understanding gender dysphoria. It also has a great reference guide in the back for parents to understand a little bit more.

I received this ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.