Cover Image: The Sunshine Girls

The Sunshine Girls

The Historical Fiction market is so saturated with WWII novels; so I was particularly drawn to The Sunshine Girls, with the past timeline period set at the end of the Vietnam War.  The glimpses into 1970s Hollywood was also a fun addition to the narrative.

BettyKay and Kitty seem like very unlikely friends; however, their friendship develops organically and believably.  I loved them and their lifelong friendship.  We are introduced to another nursing student, Jenny, who rounds out their trio.  I wish more of Jenny’s story had happened on the pages; however, we still learn some about the challenges she faced during those years, as well.  As I often am in dual timeline novels, I was more drawn to the past timeline.

In the present, we meet estranged sisters (and daughters to BettyKay), Clara and Abbie.  We are introduced to the sisters as they are processing their mother’s death.  Except, Clara and Abbie are shocked when a woman they have never met - at least in real life - arrives...  Because, why is Hollywood icon Kitty Devereaux standing at their mother’s coffin, clearly grieving?  Thus starts the reader’s, and sisters’, journey to untangle the past and discover a friendship that survives 50 years.

While The Sunshine Girls can and does fall into the Historical Fiction genre, it does lean a little more to Family Drama for me.  Those who normally shy away from Historical Fiction may still find this an enjoyable read.

My sincere thanks to NetGalley, Graydon House, and Molly Fader for a digital ARC copy of The Sunshine Girls, in exchange for my honest opinion.
If you love the era of young women in the 60’s and the rest of their life, you will love this book. Molly Fader has written a book with the deep bond three girls develop in nursing school. Kitty, who really wants to be a movie star, and the other two nurses. The story weaves back and forth from the present and the past. At the girls mothers funeral why was the movie actress Kitty there.? I felt as if I was right there with them through the secrets, love, and the Hollywood scene. A must read!
Molly Fader is a new author to me and I absolutely loved her! The Sunshine Girls is a wonderful novel and very well written. The characters were well developed and certainly memorable. I enjoyed the heartwarming historical fiction through diaries and flashbacks, and I also have to say that the retro cover is beautiful! Highly recommended.
Very light historical romance, centered on the life-long friendship of Kitty and BettyKay, who meet as nursing students in late 1960s Iowa.  BettyKay is a nurse to here core, while Kitty just wished for a life far from her family.  She wishes to set off to Hollywood and become a costume designer, sewing dresses for the fellow students to earn money to make it so.  For reasons later made clear, when Kitty, now a famous celebrity, shows up at BettyKay's funeral, BettyKay's daughters are astonished to learn of a friendship that had been hidden from them for their whole lives.  Throughout the novel, the reasons for the secrets build and become more clear, while the fractured relationship ofthe sisters is repaired.
I loved this book and am thrilled to have found an author new to me who has an extensive backlist for me to peruse.  Thankt to NetGalley, the author and  Harlequin Trade for the preview copy.  I know one book I'll be purchasing as Christmas presents for the readers in my life who've read everything.

The book starts with a dramatic event at a funeral where two sisters are reuniting and continues at a good clip to keep the reader engaged with enough suspense. clever timelines and memorable, imperfect characters.  I read this in one day I was so hooked.

The story is a well-paced reveal via two time lines, the 1960s being the more substantial.  We get the Vietman era atmosphere as a coming of age tale is told.  There's a nice Hollywoood background as a setting for quite a while also.  The friendship these three woman build while at school is realistic, powerful and life changing for all involved.  Jenny's voice is not as prevalent as the other two and that is all I would have like more of.  Otherwise, this book is everything I want in a book.  Compelling, simple writing.  Interesting characters with secrets.  A bit of history and atmosphere and ultimatedly a testament to the power of family, friendships and the meaning of motherhood.  We choose our sisters and our family.
Molly Fader's The Sunshine Girls is the story of a lifelong friendship with hidden secrets. It is set in alternating timelines between present and past events during the 60's. While the background is centered around historical fiction, contemporary issues are also addressed.

Synopsis:
As two sisters mourn their mother's passing, they are shocked when a famous actress shows up at the funeral. Although she tells the sisters that she was best friends with their mother, why did their mom never mention her name to them? Is the actress keeping a life-changing secret?

The Sunshine Girls by Molly Fader is available on December 6th, just in time for Christmas. Molly Fader's story is interesting and the writing is well developed. This novel will be a hit with historical and women's fiction fans. For book groups, there are discussion questions included at the back of the novel.

Thank you, NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing (Graydon House), for sharing this book with me. I appreciate your kindness!
The Sunshine Girls has a well-woven plot and well-built characters. Set in Iowa in the late 1960s and  the 1990s, the novel tells the story of three nursing students who take separate paths to success, from Vietnam to Hollywood, and back to Iowa. Upon the death of BettyKay, her two daughters begin to unwind their mother's untold story, only to find a carefree young woman who had a lifelong friendship with Kitty, a glamorous Hollywood star. Add in the story of Jenny who becomes a high-ranking military nurse. The Sunshine Girls is for readers who enjoy novels of women who are not afraid to challenge the status quo, especially in the 1960s. The novel is ideal for new adult readers as well as book groups. Discussion questions are included.
On the day they said goodbye to their dear mother, Abbie and Clara learn that she was keeping many secrets from them... main one being that she was longtime friends with Hollywood starlet, Kitty Devereaux. The two met in nursing school and shared many memorable and life changing moments together. As Abbie and Clara unravel all of these pieces of their mother's life that they never knew they are hit with so many emotions and questions... did they really know their mother at all?

The pages of The Sunshine Girls take you on a journey that alternates between past and present and introduces you to two generations of admirable women struggling to find their way in life. It's an engaging story brimming with drama that will keep your eyes glued to the pages and riddled your mind with it's air of mystery. Once I started reading this one I couldn't bring myself to put it down, I had to know more about these women... and what I found did not disappoint! Highly recommend!!

I requested an advanced copy of this title from the publisher, and I am voluntarily leaving my honest and unbiased opinion.
Loved this one, family secrets, romance, dual timeline, multiple perspectives, intrigue, Hollywood, it had everything I love in a book. I do think it's a little weird that it's being released in December, it definitely feels more like a summer beach read to me - but then again, it's the perfect Christmas pick me up.
The Sunshine Girls by Molly Fader This is moving and engrossing story of friendship, family, love, and secrets.  Told during two timelines, the 60's and present day with multiple POVs.  Kitty, Betts and Jenny are very reliable.  Really enjoyed the pink button travels and the author's notes on how they came to be part of the story.  Highly recommended.

Thank you to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
The Sunshine Girls is a beautifully written story about love, friendship, struggles, and perseverance.   I enjoyed Molly Fader’s writing style, weaving together present day with flashbacks to the 1960s and 1970s. The characters are well developed, focusing on 3 women who meet in nursing school and following their journeys to present day.
I don’t usually like historical fiction, but I really enjoyed reading this book.
Sisters Clara and Abbie are in for a big shock when the famous Kitty Devereauz, Hollywood starlet shows up at their mother’s funeral. Why would a famous star care about their mother? Thus, starts the story of how BettyKay and Kitty met and the parts of BettyKay the sisters knew nothing about. Secrets are revealed and drama will ensue.

This remarkable story of love, friendship and true devotion is told in dual parts, 1967 during the Vietnam war to present day. The characters are real and vulnerable. You will laugh along with them and also cry as their stories unfold.

I loved the story and highly recommend this book. Thank you NetGallery and the publisher for my ARC.
A beautiful cover sets the stage for an enjoyable read. This is a story about three women from different backgrounds attending nursing school. It's a book about secrets told in two timelines, present day and the sixties.
The three women all take different paths in life and then fifty years later one of them dies and secrets come to life. Clara and Abbie are mourning the loss of their mother, BettyKay, when a stranger named Kitty shows up. through diaries and flashbacks we learn about their loves, friendships, heartaches and  many secrets. Well developed characters made this an interesting story. #TheSunshineGirls #MollyFader #NetGalley
This book was fabulous and I am so happy I actually got to read it while vacationing at the shore!! I honestly can’t begin to write how much I loved this book, the characters and the story!! Kudos to a Molly Fader for sharing her story loosely based on her mothers life.
This book was sent to me by Netgalley for review.  Family dynamics…secrets…friends…love and romance…this is a story of two sisters who are surprised at what life throws at them…their mother has died and they don’t understand, at first, what is happening…the story moves slowly at times…
Molly Fader has a great writing style and I enjoyed the way she wrote this historical novel. This book has a whole range of emotions just like real people. The story was what I was hoping for and I loved the use of the 60s to tell this story. It was a great story and I was glad I was able to go on this journey with the characters.

“A chicken. Pay attention.” I poured all my attention into Kitty, eyes locked on her bright blue ones. “We had a lot of chickens. But this was a big old hen. Like bigger than any other chicken. And she followed me around everywhere I went. I named it Bertha.”
When Clara Beecher goes home to bury her mother, BettyKay Beecher, sisters Abbie and Clara are in for a big surprise.  A famous movie star attends their mother’s funeral, what is she doing here and why?  How did Kitty Devereaux know their mother?  Told in two parts, 1967 – the past of how BettyKay and Kitty met and the present time line where the sisters meet Kitty as she divulges stories and secrets about their mother..

When I first started reading this story, I wasn’t sure if I would like it.  However, as I got further into the story, I was hooked.  I wanted to find out about BettyKay and Kitty, what had happened between these two women?  I wanted to see how the past influences the future and how did it affect Clara and Abbie.  The writing is wonderful, at times I laughed with the characters, by the end I was crying along with them.   The story draws you in, as if you were witnessing the story moment by moment.  You can see how each character develops, how they share bonds, keep secrets, shed tears, and how it ultimately builds a wonderful foundation of a story.   I would highly recommend Molly Fader, she tells a good story, develops characters you want to know and provides you a book you want to snuggle down in a cozy chair and spend the day there.
I loved this story! THE perfect beach read. I'm not normally a historical fiction gal, but this one kept me interested. All the characters were so relatable, but in different ways.
Oh my! This is my new favorite book. Such a good read. Kitty, Betty Kaye, and Jenny are amazing, true to life, characters. It’s a story you don’t want to end. You feel like your right there with them, living each moment. Clara and Abbie, Betty Kaye (Betts) daughters go on an emotional, coming to reality journey, starting at the funeral of their mother when movie star Kitty arrives to mourn the loss of their mother. Kitty reveals that she and Betts had been the best of friend, unbeknown to the girls. What unravels from this meeting is the beginning to learn that theirs and their Mothers life was totally different then what they believed they had lived. Such a warm, heart touching book.
Thank you Molly Fader for sharing a small part of your Mothers life by adding in glimpses of story’s from her life weaved into this lovely story. I was given an advanced copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
This is a good book. It is about girls training to be nurses at the beginning of the Viet Nam War so the storyline is a little different.  The book focuses mainly on 3 girls, their families and how they met at the beginning of school and their lives afterwards. The characters are fairly well developed and the storyline is interesting. I actually finished the book late last night. I’m sorry to say that I’m having a little difficulty remembering what stood out to me. This makes me a little sad because I did like the book and will recommend it but it was nothing special. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an advance copy for my honest review.