Cover Image: Lark & Kasim Start a Revolution

Lark & Kasim Start a Revolution

I love books about readers and writers !!!
And I especially love books about marginalized readers and writers !!

Kacen's books are always a breath of fresh air and like always, Lark and Kasim was equal parts educational and entertaining while featuring the unapologetic representation, exactly how we all need it!
"It's never too late to just say the truth."

Rep: All black characters, Nonbinary Neurodiverse Poly MC, Nonbinary LI, Trans Male Poly Friend, neurodiverse rep, mental health (depression) and there are other queer and poly characters throughout.

After previously reading Felix Ever After and King and the Dragonflies, I knew I needed to get this book!

This story heavily reminded me of 'No Filter and Other Lies' by Crystal Maldonado in the best way if you enjoyed this book I would also definitely recommend that one too (It's a bit lighter on its themes but still a good book about online personalities!). With additional queer and diverse rep (On top of openly polyamorous characters!!!!) this novel deals with the realities and consequences of the internet.

Lark has been growing their social media for a while now, with the hopes of getting a high enough following to secure themself an agent for their book about their character Birdie. But when their friend Kasim, accidentally logs into their account and writes a love confession that blows up in popularity, Lark is speechless.

They don't know what to do, until, they confess that the confession thread is their own. No harm, no foul... right?

With bullies, Summer school and now Kasinm reappearing in their life (along with each rejection email for their story) Lark is overwhelmed by the pressure from the lies that keep piling. But

This novel was brilliant in how it talked about cancel culture vs accountability. In many cases, people, and in this novel where it is demonstrated, prefer to shame and blame the other person, rather than hold them accountable and let them grow. There is a lot of toxicity online and I think we all need a refresher on the dos and don't of the internet.

There was so much growth in this book, especially by the MC and to see how they've changed from beginning to end genuinely made me smile and be happy for them.

Thank you so much to the publishers for providing me with an eArc in exchange for my honest review!
I really enjoyed Felix Ever After, so I was thrilled to receive a galley of Kacen Callender’s latest! Lark and Kasim Start a Revolution is basically the novelization of the “two best friends in a room…they might kiss…” TikTok audio. Callender is skilled at writing Extremely Online teenagers with complex and fascinating inner lives. This book is definitely not a romcom, but it’s still a lot of fun to read because the romantic stakes feel fresh (the catalyst involves an accidental love confession via Twitter thread) and because of the magical realist twist––the narrator, an aspiring novelist, has conversations with their imaginary protagonist.

LAKSAR functions as a clever meta-critique of the publishing industry. Many of the rejections Lark receives as they query throughout the narrative criticize elements of Callender’s own writing––the voicyness, the didacticism, the emphasis on self-reflection. I’m not personally drawn to this style of writing, but I do think the book makes an strong & crucial case for expanding our definitions of storytelling (especially given the historical whiteness, cisness, and straightness of the industry).

I am less drawn to the more ~philosophical~ aspects of the novel, which make up much of the latter half. Callender’s characters have unique ways of understanding the world around them (Lark has pretty hardcore “We Are All Love” vibes), and I struggled to connect with those ideas. It’s also worth mentioning that both Lark and Kasim are polyamorous, and the story involves a romantic triad. It ends up feeling a bit ~insta-lovey~ because Lark idealizes Sable, the third member of the triad, as this quasi-mythic figure, and because the reader just doesn’t spend much time with her overall.

TLDR; I’m not totally in love with this book, but I’m glad I read it!
This book is going to mean so much to many young adult, queer readers. The level of representation across the community is so high that I'm sure many young readers will get to see themselves reflected in literature, which is amazing.

The central storyline is one that may sit more urgently with younger than older readers as there is a significant focus on needing to be on social media and teenage friendship groups.

Lark and Kasim support each other whilst also not knowing how to be around each other - a great set up for YA romance but one that may frustrate older readers
🏳️‍🌈🏳‍⚧ LARK & KASIM START A REVOLUTION by #KacenCallender is a remarkable book that had me constantly reaching for my highlighter - there were just soo many amazing moments that spoke to me, revealing the beauty of intersectionality and the strength of being yourself.

The story follows budding author Lark, a Black non-binary, neurodivergent teen and their trans friend Kasim as they discover how their own self-love can be a revolution.

There are explorations of love, including poly relationships, profound conversations on communication, social justice, toxicity, ageism, racism, mental health, generational trauma, anxiety, ADHA, capitalism, bullying, social media, and friendships and it never once felt overwhelming but all worked together to create a wonderful message of change and accountability.

I will be recommending this book to several of my friends who I know will adore it just as much as I did.

Also if you have dreams of being a writer this book does a great job of providing tips on getting published and how to write a novel.
The more I think about Lark & Kasim Start a Revolution, the deeper its impact on me. This is an intense reading experience, so much so that I think some folks who would really benefit from reading it might shy away. But I hope they don’t. At its heart, Lark & Kasim Start a Revolution is a raw, vulnerable love letter to its Black, trans and nonbinary, queer, poly, and neurodivergent cast, mapping out both the perils of modern teenagedom and cancel culture and offering a loving, compassionate alternative instead.

The premise of the novel’s conflict is straightforward to describe but plays out with branching complexity. Lark Winters wants to be a writer and curates a social media following, specifically on Twitter. But when their former best friend Kasim accidentally uses Lark’s account to post about an unrequited crush, Lark’s social media star rises—and along with it, the drove of unsolicited, reactionary commentary from strangers on the internet.

The thing I appreciate most about this novel is Lark themself. They are flawed, messy, and imperfect. The ways in which they are challenged by the accusations hurled at them at school and on Twitter is deeply believable. The novel strikes a great balance between showcasing the parts of Lark that they struggle to accept and showing their caring, compassionate, sensitive, and creative side too. Reading this novel truly feels like being inside their head, from the depth of their development to the neurodivergent narrative voice.

Another thing I admire about this book is that while it does not hesitate to dive into deep, difficult topics, none of those topics include depictions or discussions of transphobia. Lark is nonbinary without issue, Kasim is trans without issue, and other members of their friend group are nonbinary as well. In a landscape where it often seems like cis readers are looking for trans pain to be a central part of stories told by trans and nonbinary authors—whether for drama, conflict, or my least favourite, “realism”—the stark lack of trans pain was refreshing.

As someone who mostly observes secondhand the ways in which social media can be cannibalistic and morally absolute, the ways in which Lark’s Twitter fallout integrates with their real life was doubly painful to read. I think a lot of older teens might be able to relate to the ways in which social media complicates their day-to-day life, if not necessarily the specific vehicle or platform.

Finally, and perhaps above all, I love the way this story is about love—between Lark, their community, their friends, their family, and their creative spirit. For all the drama and heartache and very real issues of social justice brought up in the novel, there is an equal amount of joy and acceptance and forgiveness.

Lark & Kasim Start a Revolution is a vulnerable, tender, and heartfelt story. It is all the more endearing for the ways in which its characters are allowed to stumble, fall, and be picked back up again. In a world where self-love can feel like the greatest revolution of all, particularly for members of marginalized communities, it is a book I hope folks take a chance on, much like Lark and their loved ones take chances on each other.

Thank you to Amulet Books and NetGalley for an advance review copy. All opinions are my own.
I just love Kacen Callender's writing - Felix Ever After was a masterpiece of Queer Literature and I knew that I would feel the same about Lark & Kasim Start a Revolution. I don't normally talk about the actual book itself but I have to just to mention how gorgeous the sprayed edges are on the paperback- I love how it looks like handwriting as both Lark and Kasim are writers and I find it cute as anything to have this little detail.

The sheer amount of representation within Lark and Kasim Start a Revolution is wonderful see. We have Black/BIPOC characters, some who are neurodiverse in various ways, lgbtq and transgender characters and a sweetly written polyamorous relationship. All of which is wonderful to see and doesn't for one moment feel anything other than perfectly done and each and every character contributes to the story to give Lark and Kasim's story depth.

The neurodiversity especially resonated with me as I saw loved ones who has the same problems at times and the diverse way of seeing and processing what is around them. There needs to be more stories written that are truthful to how it is to be neurodiverse such as this, as many are quite contrived and detrimental. So thank you Kacen Callender.

I love that Lark especially is messy and complicated, they don't have life easy and they aren't infallible. They make mistakes, often in an attempt to do the right thing and are left suffering the consequences for it - some justified and some cruel. This is a reality of life and especially for someone such as our seventeen year old protagonist who puts their life and thoughts online for all to see, praise and judge. And boy! Aren't we judgmental as a species.

I felt for Lark, and wanted to several times reach through the pages and point out that the hole they'd inadvertently found themselves in due to someone else? Was only getting deeper and wish to drag them out because Lark is terrible and helping themselves believing it will all fix itself. Life as we know, doesn't work that way even in fiction most of the time (or not until near the book..) Kasim is a wonderful black trans character who I loved so much. He's gone through the ringer of life with an absentee father and being raised by his older brother who is working so hard to raise him that he's away from home for periods of time. He's so beautifully written and I loved his vulnerability hidden beneath a cool visard and indifference. There's a wonderful realness to him that I feel many will relate to.

The was cancel culture, responsibility for one's actions, depression,  racism, transphobia and other serious topics are handled is wonderfully done and I think will possibly enable conversations between others to occur. It isn't done in a sensational manner at all, and thrown in for the sake of it. As a reader, the excellent character portrayal and worldbulding enables you to be immersed fully in the world of Lark and Kasim Start a Revolution and with the additional mention of masks etcetera; it feels very much as though it is a tale of now. Both in a good and a bad way given the awful way the lives of people similar to this group of teenagers, is being attacked in 2022.

The only thing I found that I personally could have done without is the voice of Lark's fictional character. I don't feel it adds anything to the book and often distracts from the actual situation such as when Lark is struggling with how others have reacted to their words etcetera.

Lark & Kasim Start a Revolution is another incredible book by Kacen Callender and I have a feeling that it will be like Felix Ever After and fly off the shelves. I'm so glad I got to read it.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC.

I thought this book was sensitive and poignant while also being very matter-of-fact and dealing with a number of issues very plainly. I also enjoyed the meta-ness of Lark being a writer exploring the process of writing and receiving criticism from publishers, especially when the diversity of publishing was roundly criticised in itself. I thought the relationship between Lark and Kasim was too obvious at first but Callendar introduced so many other elements that it became a properly realistic relationship. The diversity and inclusion demonstrated in the characters and the topics of this book is laudable, and I think it's a must-read for teenagers struggling with their own sexuality, gender or mental health.
For the right YA reader, this is going to be an excellent read -it manages to represent so many people through the identities and intersectionalities that the book explores. It is an excellent example of how much representation means, how little society at large thinks it is needed and how hard the choice to hold ourselves accountable when we are wrong can be. The book gives voice to black, queer, LGBT youth, to trans and nonbinary experience and to navigating a world that isn't particularly considerate regarding any kind of neurodivergant needs.

That said, I didnt enjoy this book. A lot if of characterisation of individuals happens after a conclusion of their character has already been indicated - it is extremely tell instead of show. The throught processes Lark lets us in on appear to be representative of neurodivergant experience, but it seemed implausible to me that they had no support. There is reflection on them not wanting to be diagnosed, but this led me to worry that instead of encouraging young readers to seek support and help, the book instead portrays self diagnosis and then struggle because a diagnosis would be a bad thing. Birdie added nothing to the plot except further concerns that the book didn't explore healthy vs unhealthy coping mechanisms ans instead portrays potential hallucinations/external thought processing as a cut plot device. It didnt sit right with me. Not did the very sudden introduction of polyamory - this ddidn't feel like something Lark actually wanted, it read as though their partner suggested it, Lark being 17 and unsure of themselves went along with it and it just...continued.

All in all, there is some great representation within this book, but I dont think it ultimately reads well and I have some concerns about the way in which some of these topics are dealt with within a YA book. There is also literally no revolution started.
I kinda love that these novels about social media and Twitter in particular are going into the more realistic ways of how people on mass in these online spaces can turn on people they've previously liked and who have been popular. In that way, this novel reminded me of a YA version of Book Boyfriend. They also both are romances with enby chracters front and centre.

In terms of the way that Lark responds to racism that is honestly just a part of their life, they take a similar disposition as seen in the main character from You Must Be Layla, in that they try to keep positive despite the unkindness shown, not just by people who are white, but also bullies in their own community who are unkind to her under the name of 'calling them out'.

Definitely the aspect of bullying in this novel made it difficult to read several times, and I think the resolution at the end was far too easily done just to end the novel.

Having finished this book, I'm also not sure how the main characters started a revolution. And there were also a pretty major content thing I would have framed differently.

I'm always sitting here shipping potentially polyamorous relationships if the author gives any opening. Therefore, I was actually surprised when at halfway through the book, the main character just casually slips in a comment about how most of the people at the Commons, where she goes to summer school, are polyamorous. I don't think I would have missed a reference to that prior. And she mentions the Commons in multiple different ways in the earlier half of the book. I feel like this would have benefited from being mentioned earlier, especially as it turns out to be a fairly large plot point for this book.

I did like the way that the author showed two very different presentations of autism in two of its main characters. One that was self dx as well, which is always nice to see being validated on the page. Despite the difficulties I had, I actually very much enjoyed the interaction between characters that were not bullies or gaslighters, and the relationships that were formed.
This is definitely an “it’s not you, it’s me” situation, but I just couldn’t connect with this book or its characters at all.
Birdie consistently took me out of the story, for starters, and while I know it’s kind of the point and an important part of the representation in this book, I personally found the MC’s internal monologues frustrating to read.
But I know a lot of people have seen themselves represented in this book and that absolutely shouldn’t be discounted!
Honestly, I’m really not sure what I thought about Lark & Kasim Start a Revolution. It was a very quick read, thanks to the chatty nature of the writing style. As someone with a chatty writing style, this was one of my favourite parts.

Another area that was done very well was the inclusion of neurodivergent characters. I liked how Lark was sure they had ADHD and autism but they didn’t feel the need to label it. That was very relatable for me and I saw a lot of myself in them.

I also loved the LGBTQIA+ representation. Often when you have characters who are bisexual or polyamorous there’s an underlying phobia or erasure from other characters, but everyone was very accepting here. I really appreciated that. It’s probably not the most realistic having almost every character being poly or bi but it was nice to see either way.

This brings me to my next point. A few of the relationships in this felt a little forced. Especially a poly one that happens at the end. It didn’t feel necessary to the plot and it went against what one of the characters said. I won’t say who as I don’t want to include any spoilers.

Lark was an interesting main character, they represented what being a teenager on social media feels like very well. Obviously, the circumstances of being semi-famous on Twitter and having people care about every aspect of your life aren’t something everyone goes through, but the fears you can face whilst on social media are something I’m sure most people have been through at some point or another.

The inclusion of Birdie, the character from Lark’s book, was bittersweet for me. At first, I was extremely confused about how Birdie was, but after that I quite liked them. They were an important part of Lark’s character and their interaction were often quite funny. Birdie was a bit of a savage.

Overall I enjoyed Lark & Kasim Start a Revolution but I’m not sure how much. It dealt with some very heavy topics, which do need to be talked about, but I had it in my head that this was going to focus heavily on romance. Don’t get me wrong I am glad that so many serious issues are being discussed in this book, but I didn’t like that they were at a detriment to Lark. The bullying they faced at times really was not nice and the excuse the bullies gave was such a cop-out. It made me so mad.

But anyway, Lark & Kasim Start a Revolution was well written and I enjoyed the style a lot. It was very easy to connect with Lark as it felt like they were addressing the reader at all times. For these reasons, I will be giving it four stars.
I think this book is a case of me being too old for YA. I read a lot of it and adored Kacen's last YA book but boy was I rolling my eyes a lot at this one. The social media drama? All the claims of people being problematic over saying the wrong thing? I'm too old for all that and see too much of it on actual Twitter.

That said, I do think this book had some great things to say and Kacen remains an excellent writer. I also loved the little guide for writers they included at the end.
Thank you to NetGalley, Kacen Callender and the publisher for providing me with an E-Arc in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely loved this book and the representation within it. It makes me so happy knowing that more YA books like this exist and more young people get to see themselves represented. The problem with social media and words being twisted and misunderstood is a large topic throughout this, but most importantly I think having characters like Lark and Kasim will be absolutely life-changing to people who feel similar to them. I thoroughly enjoyed this and can't wait to read more Kacen Callender books in the future.
Kacen Callender did not disappoint with this novel. The writing excellently reflected the thought processes of a neurodivergent person (I am neurodivergent myself and found it to be very relatable) and was engaging from start to finish. I love how Callender doesn't hold back from creating characters that are messy and real, that make mistakes and do the wrong thing, but that grow, change and are still lovable.  The representation in this book was also fantastic, there was a Black, non-binary, queer, neurodivergent main character which was fantastic to see. Overall a great YA contemporary and one of my favourite reads so far this year.
Lark & Kasim Start a Revolution is really the definition of “it’s not you it’s me”. So, my review is really going to be split into two parts: what is good about it, and then why I wasn’t a fan. In an attempt to be at least at bit objective.

The Good

— Neurodiversity rep. There was a diverse array of experiences on show in this one, and I thought it did particularly well at discussing the differences in how Lark and Sable’s autism manifested. Additionally, it had a good lot of consideration of the intersection of mental health and race. And all of this, in true Kacen Callender fashion, was done very well.

— The writing is great. As to be expected, I think. It was what I expected in a Callender book and what I got.

— Lark and Kasim were probably my favourite part of this book (and later Sable). The pining and tension in their interactions was so good, and I kind of wish they’d had more page time in it. When they were on page I liked what I was reading, although I can admit that some of the other scenes in the book were necessary for Lark’s growth.

— Which, obviously, should be my next point. I liked the arc that Lark had throughout the book and I liked the way that themes and issues were navigated with nuance. Case in point, Lark’s belief that hate is not inherent and that everyone can change. Of course, there was a certain amount of naivete to that view, but at its heart, this is a book about love and change and it did as it advocated: treated it with the nuance it deserved.

— The discussions around toxicity and accountability were great, especially the latter. This, I think, is also part of the arc that Lark went through (along with side characters too) and it was very well done, particularly at the end when everything came to a head.

The Less Good (for me)

— Probably issue number one is me, the reader. First and foremost, I think I’m just too old to really care about the things these kids cared about regarding social media. I also think that, for the central conflict to really register, you have to be terminally online. And I like to think I’m not. So yeah. The first point in this part is basically a reiteration of my opening to this review: it’s not you it’s me.

— Several parts of the storyline felt a little rushed or underdeveloped, namely with Eli and later Micah and Patch. Minor spoilers here so beware. Firstly, the idea that Eli is only in a relationship with Lark for clout appears a bit out of the blue, with not a whole lot of foreshadowing beforehand. That it’s Kasim who brings it up, suddenly, and then you see Eli starting to act in a way that proves him right doesn’t help this. With Micah and Patch, it’s just hard to see why they hate Lark with such vitriol. I can understand disliking someone because you believe they hurt your friend, but they felt quite extreme in their hatred. And that it turns out to be, at the end, because Lark annoys them? Felt a cop out.

— Probably the biggest issue I had with it, though, was how close it felt to being on book twitter. I did not need a book to remind me of the cringefest that is, and it played a pretty central role in the book. This probably ties into the fact I have very different concerns with the main characters when it comes to the major conflict, really. The idea that thousands of people would be invested in the love lives of two teenagers on the internet is, while not implausible, just so completely divorced from a plotline I might care about. I’d have probably been better off not reading it at all. In fact, if I’d known this is what the plot was, I wouldn’t have. It reminded me of Emery Lee’s Meet Cute Diary and I don’t mean that in a good way.

However, I don’t say any of this in an attempt to put you off, just to try and explain why the book didn’t work for me. It may still do so for you and I would encourage you to try and find out.
I was sure this book was going to be five stars, and now I've read it and while I certainly enjoyed it, it did not come close to that and now sit comfortably in 3.5 to 3.75 stars.

Disclaimer: while I do tick of some boxes for who this book is aiming to represent, I am neurodivergent (autism and ADHD), nonbinary and queer, I am still white and not polygamous and you should definitely listen to those groups reviews as well.

I liked the discussions and themes this book had about cancel culture and the joy the internet finds in tearing people down, and it actually made me rethink some of how I engage in online spaces.

The characters were all distinct and amazing. I loved how they were all black and almost all trans with not that many exceptions.

I loved the little details like the character profiles(!!!), that you could see what the characters were writing for the writing class and the other character's comments, the twitter threads, all were amazing details that made the story even more enjoyable.

The DRAMA was excellent. I even gasped out loud at times.

The abusive relationship, even though the pacing struggled because of it, was very realistic and well handled.

Lark's twitter presence felt very realistic and I could totally see their account being real.

It was also delightfully meta, from obvious things like one time a bunch of people offering the main character's drugs literally BREAKS THE FOURTH WALL, to subtler things like how both the group discussion the writing group had and the refusal letters to Lark's book tackles criticisms that could very well be made for this book, like for example they discuss if main characters make mistakes and unlikeable characters should be included in books. Or that when a potential agent denies him and says he hated the writing and Lark says the reason their writing is different is that they are neurodivergent and their brain works differently. It actually makes this book quite hard to critique, because I feel like the book itself responded to my criticisms and telling me that they are wrong.

But just because a book addresses criticisms does not mean they go away. I did not like Lark. They just wasn't my cup of tea for a protagonist. I do think that characters are allowed to make mistakes but that isn't my issue with them, I just did not vibe with the way they were written. Also, while I do understand his inner monologue is purposefully written differently to represent is neurodivergency, I as a neurodivergent found it exhausting to read at times.

I did not enjoy reading about Lark getting bullied and canceled, it felt tedious and in the bullied case pretty unbelievable. Not that those things aren't believable, but it did not feel written in a way where I could understand both sides at all. The bullies just felt way too flat and stereotypical. The cancelling was a lot more believable, but still not very fun to read for me personally.

While I love the polyamorous representation in the book, the polyamorous relationship was probably the worst paced thing in the entire book. Overall, this book had a lot of things thrown into it, it tried to be many things at once and handle a lot of different issues which made other elements of the book that needed more focus, like the literal romance in this romance book (and yes I do consider this to be a romance book because that's where the core of the story is). Kasim and Lark together were very well written in the first half and maybe second act, though little less in the second and even lesser in the third and the third person felt very forcibly included, which is a shame since I really loved the character.

I sound way too harsh in this review, I did like the book a lot, but it felt more like a debut book than something from such an experienced writer as Kacen Callender, and I am more interested in the conversations this book may start than the book itself.
One of my favourite books (along with most of bookstagram it seems) last year was Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender, so I was very excited to get a digital copy of their new ARC Lark and Kasim Start a Revolution.

This book was a bit of a rollercoaster for me. It was one of the few books I’ve read that I've felt on the edge of my seat to see whether I love or hate it, unsure of what will happen with the story and the character development.

...small spoiler? I loved it!

The story is based around Black, queer teenagers Lark and Kasim and a small group of others during a summer writing class. We see Lark, from their point of view, as they become more and more tangled in a series of lies, social media, bullying and complicated feelings.

My favourite parts of this book involved the characters, either in the classroom setting or one-on-one conversations, discussing different and sometimes conflicting views and working out together if there is a right way.

This book feels very relevant and needed and certainly opened my eyes to topics that I hadn't previously considered.

I think this would be a great book for a book club or discussion group. I can't wait to hear others’ opinions.

Also includes neurodiverse and polyamorous representation. I don't feel that I’m in a position to comment on how Lark’s neurodiversity is portrayed in this book so I look forward to hearing what others think.
Lark is a Black, trans teen who dreams of being a writer. They build their twitter account in the hope of being discovered while dealing with rejections from publishers. The main character in their book acts as a kind of Jimmy Cricket conscience and advices Lark in their everyday life. Larks' ex-best friend Karim borrows their laptop and accidentally sends a tweet from Larks' account.
This causes a social media event as people relate to the message, people at their community school react to this is in interesting ways, Lark enjoys the boost in followers so doesn’t point out the mistake. Eli wants some of the attention, so begins a relationship with Lark when they are pressured to give more details. Karims' friends bully Lark and troll them online which gets worse when the deceit is uncovered. Things get really unpleasant for Lark and Karim. Others stop speaking to Lark and it damages friendships. Lark has to find a way to mitigate the damage and confess the deceit, while navigating some tricky relationship issues.
This is a lovely book with enormous heart. It has wonderful characters (so delightful to read a majority trans / POC cast!) and despite the unrealistic (maybe idealistic?) nature of the relationships, it's truly a joy to read.

If it's unbelievable to me that teenagers would be able to be as gentle and gracious with each other as they are in this book, is it a me problem? I genuinely hope that real teenagers are like this, but I do find it hard to believe. If so, though: wow. Lucky, brave, beautiful generation. (The horrific inheritance we're leaving them aside.)

My thanks to Faber & Faber and NetGalley for the ARC.