Cover Image: All Good People Here

All Good People Here

I really struggled with writing this review. As someone who has listened to her fair share of Crime Junkie, and as a result having witnessed the depth of research Flowers does for her cases - this was a hard novel to get through.

When left to her own writing, it came across as clunky and cumbersome. The characters felt very one dimensional and there were a LOT of moving pieces. The story followed a predictable narrative, and anyone familiar with the Jon Benet Ramsey case (aka anyone Millennial or older) found it a little more than predictable.

My biggest complaint, however, was the ending. There is a lot of build up and absolutely no payoff. I understand the thrill of a cliffhanger, but this ended so abruptly and without any real conclusion that it was absolutely infuriating to read. After spending so much time dedicated to reading and trying to parse out what was going on, to not have any payoff made me dislike the entire novel as a whole.
I loved the premise of this book but not the execution. The writing was a bit clumsy and the characters didn't feel well fleshed out. Also, there was a pretty big error where a significant supporting character says she went to high school with the other characters, then says she moved to town after graduation and then later says she grew up with everyone. An error like that shouldn't be overlooked.

The biggest miss for me was the ending though. To get all the way through this book and then have that abrupt, ambiguous ending was just a huge misstep. Up until that point I may have rated the book higher just because the case was interesting but that ending really ruined it for me.

Thank you to Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine, Bantam and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I really loved this book from beginning to end. There were things that I didn’t love but still really enjoyed the story like and twists and turns to give it a 5 star. I will say it gave me major JonBente Ramsey Vibes which I didn’t love it didn’t feel super original. But I loved all the twists and turns and characters in the story. A lot of them had mystery behind their actions and it kept you guessing till the end. I like that even though the ending left you with unanswered questions it was enough to satisfying you. One last thing thst annoyed me slightly was the amount of times the towns name was used in the story. But I love all things crime junkie and Ashley Flowers had an amazing debut story! Thank you NetGalley for this ARC.
Oh my god this one grabbed my attention from the jump and never let me go. True crime-ish and full of small town idiosyncrasies, Flowers absolutely delivered a powerful book reminiscent of the JonBenet Ramsey mystery that captivated the US during my childhood.
This was an ok read. The similarity to the Jon Benet Ramsey case was immediately evident, and that has been done to death. It was a bit of a slow burn, I guessed many of the twists before they happened and the ambiguous ending didn't help.  I did like Margot, the main character, and the dual timelines. Overall, I would give it 3.5 stars if it hadn't had such an abrupt ending , so rounded down to 3.

Thanks to Net Galley for an advanced copy.
If you're a fan of Crime Junkie, the JonBenet Ramsey case, or thrillers you can breeze through in a day this book is for you.

The timeline flips between 1994 and the present. The 1994 timeline is still interesting even if you followed the JBR case closely. There were a lot of twists and red herrings that kept the book very interesting (comparable to Alice Feeney). Although I felt the last and final twist was one too many. I think it was noticeable that this is Ashley Flower's debut novel. The main character of the present could have been developed a little more, and the writing felt a little amateur. I would be excited to read another book by Ashley Flowers as she evolves as an author.

Thank you, NetGalley for the gifted ARC.
A totally unputdownable thriller, this book will have you gripped from the very first page until the jaw-dropping final twist. Flawlessly plotted, the story unfolds in layers, each one more shocking than the last. I’ll be thinking about this book for a long time.
8️⃣3️⃣I started ALL GOOD PEOPLE HERE from @netgalley as an ARC…
Somehow I derailed and realized I also requested and checked it out from @libby.app ! I have  been thrilled to read this since @ashleyflowers  announced on @crimejunkiepodcast by @audiochuck .
I also got a kindle page turner this week from amazon. Game changer. This little remote has a write strap and is so easy to wear, and is loose incase I fall asleep- which happened. I can be bundled in my blankets and not have to uncover and turn the pages! I raced home today to finish the last ten percent!

Dual timelines and point of views

Jodi was a surprise, and I was very suspicious.

⏱️10 hours 35 minutes
📖Kindle
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
🗓️Monday, November 7, 2022
I liked this book, but the ending left me feeling a little unsatisfied and unfinished. I loved the plot line, and it started out great. I would have gone from like to love if the ending didn’t leave me wanting some other resolution.
Ashley Flowers of Crime Junkie podcast fame jumped into the world of mystery writing with ALL GOOD PEOPLE HERE. I'm not much of a mystery lit reader, but I am a consumer of true crime media, and maybe because I know so much about popular cases, this book didn't feel original to me. Don't get me wrong, I kept flipping pages, but it felt reminiscent of another VERY famous real life murder case. Most of the twists didn't feel like twists to me.

That said, I loved our fierce protagonist Margot, the dual POV-and-timeline style, and the commentary on small towns.
All Good People Here by Ashley Flowers was kindly gifted to me by NetGalley and the Publisher in digital format and I enjoyed it. Past tragedies in a nosy small town collide with present day intermingled with true crime and podcast element, I was here for it all. It was also very loosely based on the Jon-Benet Ramsey case and I loved the similarities. This story was told from alternating perspectives and dual timelines. And you already know that’s totally my jam. This book was slow and some chapters dragged for me but overall kept my attention. I thought for sure this was going to be a 5 star read for me  with the Jon-Benet Ramsey ish storyline however, it was middle of the road. More like a 3.5 star read. It could have been a 4 start but that ending was not for me sadly. I wanted more. Totally a me thing. Again, still worth the read.

If you love multiple POVs, dual time lines, true crime/podcast elements in books definitely give this one a try. I did really enjoy the story when I was reading it.

Thank you again to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of All Good People Here. All opinions are my very own.
I think I am in the minority here but I didn't love this one. I was SO disappointed to feel that way because I was really looking forward to this book. I am a big Crime Junkie fan but an even bigger Ashley Flowers fan. I totally saw a connection between the plot of this book and the Jon Benet Ramsey case. I just think that is such low hanging fruit and I am very disappointed. Many thrillers borrow ideas/concepts/plotlines from each other. I get it, there is only so many twists that can be done but to model the book so closely off the Jon Benet case really bugged me. I did finish this book, which is why I am giving it 2.5 stars. I really hope that if Ashley Flowers writes another book, she goes in a different direction than she did here.
It didn't wow me. Kinda mellow dramatic and what was that ending?

I feel like this story has been told 100 times.
AMAZING! So many unexpected twists and turns. At a few points you think you have it figured out, then you’re wrong. Definitely one that leaves you wanting more! obsessed with Crime Junkie so this was an easy, quick, thrilling read.
Ambiguous and abrupt endings don’t work for all stories.. especially if they are not going to a series. All good people here could have been great, but the ending felt rushed and kind of sloppy. Minus the ending, this is a  4star story.

Thank you Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine and NetGalley for the Advanced Reader copy of All Good People Here by Ashley Flowers.  I was so excited to get this book.  I love Ashley's podcast and couldn't wait to read this.
In Wakarusa, Indiana, January Jacobs was found dead in a ditch.  Margot was the same age as January when she was murdered.  Years later, the murder is still unsolved and Margot still wonders what happened to January. Now as a Journalist, she returns home to care for her uncle and another girl is taken. She can't help but feel they are connected and wants to find answers but the police and townspeople seem like they are hiding something.
I love crime junkie and love that Ashley is also from Indiana and that her podcast picks Hoosier cases and her novel is set here in Indiana in towns a lot of us have been to or near.  The book was entertaining and well written although I have a couple of issues.  One being that one of the characters mentions listening to Nirvana his sophomore year and Nirvana hadn't even formed for another 3 or 4 years after that time frame.  I know how Ashley researches cases so I didn't like the little mistake that should have been caught.  The ending may have been a typical realistic result of the situation, but for a reader it was very frustrating.  I know things aren't always tied up with a happy little bow, but it was disappointing.
This was a good debut book. A fair amount of twists and turns,  this story kept me guessing until the end.
Thanks #netgalley for this book in exchange for an honest review. This book was so good. Fast paced, lots of believable twists, enjoyable main character. Highly recommend
A great thriller where you may not see the twist coming.  I really enjoyed the red herrings and twists and turns that the novel took and how it came full circle in the reveal at the end.