Cover Image: After Paris

After Paris

Just wow. This beautiful book crams so much into one story, It follows the lives of three women over the course of 20+ years from the age of their first meeting in Paris, a city they return to time again, at the age of 17. It covers some serious topics, and I would say the description and portrayal of autism and ADHD, whilst a secondary storyline, is probably one of the best I’ve ever read. A gorgeous study into the complexity of female friendships and how we perceive each other, this story gave me One Day kind of vibes, but without the “romance” and instead showing us the important of friendship.
We are all flawed. We are messy. And our relationships either strengthen or falter on how we deal with our own issues and histories.

A beautifully messy tale that bounces between three women who meet when they are teenagers and their lives leading up to and beyond their latest reunion in Paris.

I loved the deep hard issues that these women are faced with and how it is clear, like in real life, that they aren’t simple resolutions or decisions to be made.

However as raw as their stories were, I was disappointed in how contrived the ending became.

The writing was decent but choppy and confusing in parts. Solid 3.5 stars.

I was given a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was an excellent story. I loved getting the 'inside peak' of each character throughout the novel, and it was nice to see the characters grow and develop through the years with the flashbacks. I really enjoyed the friendship and various portrayals of strong female characters - each doing her own thing, yet finding a way to connect with each other and readers. I was surprised by each of the characters struggles and triumphs throughout, and my only complaint is that the story was 'too favorable' on adultery, which I found offensive.
Alice, Jules, and Nina met in Paris as teens and have been meeting there every year since,  But now they are 35 and at crossroads involving motherhood- Julia, a banker,  is undergoing IVF,  Nina who has a chain of bakeries is hiding her pregnancy,, and Alice who is married with three kids is very worried about her autistic daughter and her own future. What happened this latest weekend to make them split apart?  No spoilers.  This goes back and forth in time and between the characters and while it caroms a bit too much, it's still an engaging story.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  A good read about how friendships change over time.
I love all things Paris, so I was instantly sold on this book! I also love reading about female friendships and the importance of women supporting women. This book had all of that and more! I only wish there would have been content warnings at the beginning, as this book deals with some heavy/challenging topics and it would have been helpful to have a heads-up going into it. Beyond that though, it was a compelling read!
Thank you to NetGalley and Head of Zeus for the ARC of After Paris.

I enjoyed this exploration of adult friendships and how relationships and ties change over time. I resonated with the draw of memory and friendships as they were.

I found the dialogue fresh but the writing a bit stale overall.
This novel was a struggle to engage in. The writing was stilted and the character development was lacking.  I don't recommend it.
After Paris is a beautiful story of adult friendships that spans years and really resonated with me. I absolutely loved the setting and characters and can't wait to read another story told by Nicole Kennedy. Thank you to publisher, Head of Zeus for gifting me an eARC of this novel.
I love books about female friendships — perhaps a topic that does not get as much attention as it should! After Paris was a great read that embodied the complex nature of female friendships.

I enjoy stories where women are allowed to be struggling, messy, and relatable. I feel like I related to all the characters in one way or another, as they are all so different but similar. I loved the inclusion of different perspectives, making the story more realistic and intricate.

Overall, I loved this book more than I thought I would. I’m excited to read Nicole Kennedy’s other books!
After Paris by Nicole Kennedy is a novel that is very...chick lit, but one that, while predictable, is about the strength of friendship and the truth of growing up and growing together.

Alice, Nina and Jules all meet by chance when they are young women in Paris by chance. After one wild night. the three women have formed a bond that is exactly what each has always needed. They plan to meet in Paris, year after year to relive that night.

This isn't like a 'one night in Paris' sort of friendship. They are friends in London and while in University, but their trips are always something special. But now, in present-day, this current trip, they all have secrets. Jules is desperate to have a child...but seems distracted by something else. Nina, currently running an up-and-coming patisserie, doesn't seem to be drinking as much as normal. Alice seems to be subdued and distracted by her children at home.

They all leave the trip separately, and without telling each other. Months go by....and silence.

This is a story of friends and secrets. And how we sometimes keep secrets from those we love the most. It's a wonderfully lovely book about women, modern women and I quite enjoyed it.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read and review this book.
This book has a interesting premise and unfolded well. The women were able to relate and we do see some character growth. However, for my taste, the pacing was off and took some time to adjust to the characters. I wish the friendship was more developed. Overall, this was an okay book.
This is the story of a friendship between three women from different backgrounds. They meet at Le Bal in Paris as teenagers, and the story follows the development of their friendship over the next several years. Through their individual struggles and growth, they always share their love of Paris. The story jumps from the weekend trip they take in their mid-thirties to their trips in the years leading up to it.
I had a little trouble following the storyline at the beginning since it jumps around a bit. But by the time I caught on (I would say 20% of the way into the book) I was sucked into the story. Each chapter is labeled with when it’s happening so it’s really not that confusing, I just struggled. She incorporates small details in a very subtle way that allows for their story to unfold naturally on both timelines. And by the time I got to the climax of the story, I had a hard time putting this book down.
In addition, this book addressed a lot of themes that I haven’t seen a lot in contemporary fiction, and I really enjoyed that. I don’t want to get into the details because I don’t want to spoil anything, but it really was refreshing to read about something new. I love a good story that gives me wanderlust- and I definitely got some ideas for things to do the next time I’m in Paris- but the relationships that develop in this book really drive the story. Their friendship has lasted over so many years. They have each grown and changed during that period, but they continue to support one another through their individual struggles. And I think that is highlighted well by the time span of the story. This book is a good combination of relationship-driven story that still has a pretty juicy plot. A great summer read!
Nice to have a book about girlfriends and female friendships gone awry. Found this to be fey poignant and an enjoyable read.
After Paris tells the story of Alice, Jules, and Nina. They are three close friends who go on a holiday in Paris together but return their separate ways. What happened in Paris? Can it be fixed?

I was instantly atracted by this book's description and knew I would totally love it! After Paris didn't disappoint. I did see a few nods to The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald which made me feel very excited and ultimately connected to Nicole Kennedy as a writer.

In After Paris, Nicole Kennedy is able to create seemingly flawed characters that you can root for which as we all know, is not always easy to do. I was particularly interested in the way friendship was analysed, and how a small incident and miscommunication can break down a years-long friendship.

A solid read!

goodreads.com/booksireadandliked
Disclosure: I would like to thank the publisher and author for my advanced review copy of the book. This is my honest review
I was so excited for this book but I have to say, it didn't meet my expectations. I found it difficult to keep track of who was narrating the book which resulted in me putting down the book and coming back to it a few times. Thank you NetGalley & the publisher for the ARC
Thank you Netgalley for the ARC of After Paris.

Overall a fun read, some minor twists and turns. The way the three friends meet in the beginning was unique and creative.

A story focused on female friendship spanning multiple decades, the ties that bind us, and the circumstances that slowly sever us or completely tear us apart, After Paris is a lovely narrative on the way friendships change and evolve as we age.

Easy reading, kept me interested to turn the page.
Alice, Nina and Jules met 20 years ago in Paris when they were teenagers. Each year they return to France to relieve their youth and enjoy their friendship. But this year is going to be different.  Each of them is hiding a secret and cracks in their relationships are starting to show.

This was a beautiful story about friendship and how sometimes no matter how hard you try things don’t always go to plan.
I really enjoyed this book from the very first chapter. Alice, Nina and Jules are all so different yet they meet in the bathroom at the Hotel Crillon in Paris when they’re seventeen and revisit Paris every year after that.

Told in all three voices, the narrative jumps around in time to give you background on their relationships. And my goodness, are they messy. Nothing is as it seems and although they tell themselves that they share everything, they don’t.

I raced through the book, desperate to find out what happened. But also to see how these women developed and grew as people - how the things that occurred in their lives changed them and their relationships. There was so much going on with each one.

I loved this immersive read. I’ll be back for more from Nicole Kennedy.
This is a great book! The characters are believable, the settings are amazing. This is definitely one I will add to my Amazon wish list! Nicole Kennedy has a masterful book on her hands.
This was a new-to-me author and I appreciated the introduction I normally read rom coms so wasn’t sure what to expect with three main character studies, but I was pleasantly surprised. There were a lot of parts of this book that I paused at just to be introspective, and I really appreciate that type of writing. I would recommend this as a great beach read or even a book to cozy up to on a rainy day.

Thank you to the publisher and netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.