Cover Image: You Are (Not) Deadpool

You Are (Not) Deadpool

This manga was just OK. It was all over the place and not very coherent or funny. I requested the second volume and hope that it will be better.
My misspent youth was filled with Choose Your Own Adventure and Fighting Fantasy gamebooks so the concept of this gamebook was familiar and it was fairly easy to keep track of stats and stuff with the help of that most technical of equipment, a pen and pencil. Or rather the notes app on my phone cos it's 2022 now not 1992.

I really enjoyed the tone of the book - it felt like the Deadpool of the films, and it was very witty and entertaining. It was a fairly lengthy adventure too, which was good. I'd recommend the book to anyone who enjoys the Marvel world, (and maybe fancies a bit of nostalgia for their 1990s childhood.)

With thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Please Note. If the title you are reviewing is from the Aconyte & Marvel range you MUST use the following hashtags on online reviews #Marvel #MarvelEnt #Aconytebooks #review and mention that the book was given to you for an honest review. You must also add the following legals to the bottom of any review you write:

About Marvel Entertainment

Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of more than 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media for over eighty years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing, publishing, games, and digital media.

For more information visit marvel.com. © 2022 MARVEL

Failure to do this will result in you no longer being able to acquire Marvel titles from Aconyte Books for review.
One of my favourite books when I was growing up was Trial of Champions one of the Fighting Fantasy choose-your-own adventure books. I wasn't the best reader growing up, and struggled quite a lot, but the format of the book made it a lot easier for me, and I was sucked in to the idea of getting to shape the story, and to read it multiple times with different outcomes. Sadly, it seems to be a thing that seems to have fallen out of favour somewhat.

Perhaps it's the rise in popularity of board games and tabletop role playing, but there don't seem to be many books made in that style, and those that are being released are re-releases of older books. The Marvel Multiverse Missions Adventure Books are a new series from Aconyte Books that's going to be bringing these adventure books back; and they're bringing some Marvel characters along with them. One of the first of these releases puts you not in control of a costumed hero, but just a regular person living their lives peacefully in New York. However, when Deadpool decides to rope you into helping him out on one of his missions the fun really begins.

One of the things that this book does that's really clever is to not put you in the shoes of the hero. I don't know if this will be the same for the other books in the series (and think that it would be fun to play as She-Hulk in her book), but for this book it makes things all the more enjoyable. Why? Because Deadpool is too weird a character to take control of. He does strange things, he says bizarre stuff, and he acts pretty wild most of the time; and trying to put a regular person into that kind of character feels like a tough sell. Instead, we get to go along as a passenger, perhaps even a glorified sidekick.

So, readers take on the role o a regular person who's job it is is to kind of just point Deadpool in the right direction and hope things go well. To this end you'll get presented with choices about where to go. There's smuggling going on, so you can choose to check out the docks, to search underground, or see if the illegal weapons are being brought in via air. Over the course of the investigation you'll be presented with different leads to follow, different methods to try  and achieve your goals; and depending on the choices you make you can have quite different experiences. I played through the book twice, and ended up sending Deadpool to completely different locations each time.

But this is also a game book, and you will need a pair of six sided dice and a pen and paper in order to keep track of everything. The combat system isn't too difficult, and anyone with experience in complex board games and TTRG's should get on fine with it. There were a few times where it felt like I got a lot of info thrown at me in regards to combat choices and outcomes, but as long as you keep your notes well and stay on top of everything you should be fine. And yes, even on the ebook version it remembers your last entry and you can go back and check out the different options like I know we all did as kids.

I didn't know what to expect from this book, and was excited to see how the team at Aconyte would pull off this challenge. Making any book is hard, but a book that's multiple stories in one and also involves a game system is even harder. So I am absolutely impressed that the book is so well executed, and so much fun. You Are (Not) Deadpool is a book that fans of this format are definitely going to want to check out.
Genre: Choose your own adventure, comic book, action

Disclaimer: Thanks to NetGalley and Aconyte Books I received a copy of this for free in exchange for an honest review.

Thoughts: I grew up with books like Choose Your Own Adventure and Fighting Fantasy, books that allowed you to play a game while reading. I also regularly play tabletop roleplaying games, and so You Are (Not) Deadpool was right up my alley.

It’s hard to really go into detail about the book since everyone will probably read it a little differently. I felt the actual game elements of the book was fantastic. It worked for what the book needed it to be, and the interactive quality of the books were top notch.

The writing of the book was alright. Deadpool is honestly a tough character to tonally get, since it’s easy to either go too hard into slapstick or too hard into edginess. With that said, I think the tone of the book worked well and it evoked everything the way it should be.

While I can say I am more excited for the She-Hulk book, I think this was an excellent book for anyone who has some spare time over a weekend. I really want the company to consider making similar books of its other IPs as well, but time will tell.

Score: 4 out of 5
An adventurous and fun fill tale, for mature or adult readers. Would love to see more of these. Please keep them coming!
Holy Hotcakes!

This was so much fun, a game mixed with a book.  As someone who has never played DnD, I feel like this may be a lot like it - utilizing a six-sided die, paper, pen.  It made me want to give DnD a shot!

It is also reminiscent of Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books, which I absolutely loved ad a kid.  Mix that in with Deadpool's signature sarcasm, along with Marvel history that you don't need to know a lot about, and we have something really special here.  There are multiple endings and it's really easy to follow for someone not versed in this kind of gameplaying.

Being part of the story really brought this alive for me, and I definitely recommend it to anyone who is or isn't fully immersed into the world of Marvel or DnD type gaming.  It might have made me a convert!

My opinions are my own and freely given.

Disclaimer/Legals:
About Marvel Entertainment
Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world’s most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of more than 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media for over eighty years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing, publishing, games, and digital media.
For more information visit marvel.com. © 2022 MARVEL
I had never heard of gamebooks but I enjoyed this one tremendously. It's a way more interactive version of the old-school choose your own adventure books of my childhood, where you have to keep a record of points, achievements, and stats as you roll dice to decide how parts of the story will develop.
The story itself is a very typical Deadpool adventure where the reader becomes his sidekick on a quest to find who is selling alien weapons to the criminal underground. The premise is composed of the always fun evil corps, big baddie, aliens, goons, secret bases, awkward bank encounters, and many quips by Deadpool.
My one complaint is that the way the book is written, where the reader is the main character who makes the decisions, takes some of the utter craziness that is Deadpool down several notches. It's also a side-effect of being written for younger readers than those who might check out the comics, but I would have liked to get more intense Deadpool violence and inappropriateness. I'm not dissing it, as it remains a very engrossing story with Deadpool and the prerequisite violence and non-sequiturs, but it feels a bit tame to me.

Very happy thanks to NetGalley and Acoynte Books for the fun, interactive read in exchange for an honest review!

For more information visit marvel.com. © 2022 MARVEL
This book has a really fun premise, but it really doesn't work great as an e-book, and I probably would have enjoyed it more in physical form. It feels a little like it couldn't decide who the target audience is, younger tweens or teens, or adults with much more familiarity with the character. Overall, it was pretty fun and seemed well written though.
What makes a Deadpool book a Deadpool book? A choose your own adventure RPG book of course!

Seriously if I could give this more than 5 stars, I would. And when I told my husband about it, he thought it was so cool and I told him he’s definitely getting a copy for himself.

This book is also a bit more of a family friendly version (older kids/teens) as the language is really tame, at least in my adventures I was sent on. So if your kid is into Deadpool but you’re not a fan of the “mouth”, this is a good choice.
I actually thought this book was really awesome. It was funny and definitely reminded me of reading a Deadpool comic. I wasn’t able to use it with a group of friends and only read through it on my own but it I think it would be an absolute blast with friends around. HIGHLY recommended.
Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for giving me this eArc to review.

I will be honest, I didn't complete this as I want the physical version of this to use so I can highlight sections and just the fact I think these types of books are better when physical.

The parts I did play on the eArc were fun and engaging!
You are (not) Deadpool is a fun and engaging mashup of Dungeons & Dragons with a Chose Your Own Adventure book plot!

Join Deadpool on a search for alien guns in New York City. Don’t forget your paper, pencil and dice because there is quite a bit of recordkeeping required in your new employment. And don’t worry about being the sixth person in the position. I’m sure the others just found better paying jobs with other superheroes…

Deadpool’s trademark snark is perfectly portrayed here. So is his quick to fight mentality. The lists of achievements and super-achievements at the end increase the replayability of the game, uh, book.

Overall, You are (not) Deadpool is great fun for all ages. You also don’t really need any of the supplies mentioned earlier. I just used my phone’s Notes app and an internet random number generator to play. Super enjoyable! 5 stars!

Thanks to Aconyte Books and NetGalley for a digital review copy of the book.

Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world’s most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of more than 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media for over eighty years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing, publishing, games, and digital media. #Marvel #MarvelEnt #Aconytebooks #review
This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review from Aconyte Books via Netgalley

Get this, You're sitting by your window, watching the sunset and listening to the honking down below on the street.

Then suddenly a masked man with double sword and guns appears in front of you with an offer to help him save the city by uncovering a secret mission of alien guns flooding the city.

Oh hi there, forgot to introduce myself.  I'm Deadpool,  you might have heard of me beforehand? Right. So are you in?

You Are Not Deadpool is like a role playing game except you play this game by reading.
And our resident mutant anti-hero needs your help to solve the mystery.

Like every quest book, this book is filled with secret clues and he's the thing you're going to need a paper, a pen, and a dice before you get started.

It's an interactive game book with the readers where you get to pick the choices Deadpool makes and each choice has a different outcome and keeps you curious to find out what would happen next. I personally enjoyed reading this and getting to play the games like a superhero sidekick.

Throughout the game you'll get points from;

Merch; which is scroed from the amount of firearm and physical destruction Deadpool causes.

Mouth; which is earned from Deadpool's unfiltered vocabulary and social interaction with other people.

Focus; which is earned from Deadpool's ability to keep his mind focused on the mission and not get distracted by unicorns and candies. You know how he gets.

Overall, this was an interesting idea on interactive superhero game book for readers who are fans of gaming and comics as well. Like I always say, Aconyte Books Authors have this way of bringing the Marvel character's personalities into the books with ease that you don't miss that familiarity you're used to seeing in conics and movies.

Thank you Aconyte Books and Marvel.

For more information visit marvel.com

© 2020 MARVEL
Completely bizarre ridiculous childlike fun.

Me and my husband read through this and we both felt as though we were 12 again. I absolutely loved going back over and tryinh different scenarios and will definitely be buying a paper format to play with friends!!
This book is no normal book , but a game book but will you get out of the book alive? Well that will be down to you decisions and dice throwing skills. It's going to take you on a very dangerous journey and your going to love it!

This book definitely reminded me of my school days where choose your own adventure books had come out. With multiple outcomes and multiple ways of dying it is just hours of fun. But then add in an eliminate of tabletop gaming and whole experience. This is perfect for all you marvel fans out there and those who love gaming. Stand aside warhammer or risk we have more fun in town.

I loved the way you could pick up items as you went along to use in fights. I played this book via a kindle and just loved how I could click seamlessly to the next section. With the numbers of chapters in this book you have plenty of options. It was funny how you made the correct choices and the dice failed you so you had to do things differently. It had me working out alot of things which I just loved.

The first go I had I was dead quite soon but that was expected as I was trying to work out the game. But the second time I played for hours and I got to the end with a 2 star finish. I can't wait to try again to see if I can find the ultimate goal of the 5 star perfect finish.

The story of the book was brilliant and cleverly wrote which made it flow really well and I was laughing alone the way. What more could I ask for!

I really do recommend this books for the over 16+ and deadpool fans its just south fun.

What's better its cheaper than a board or computer game and it takes up less room.

So much praise goes out to the author and publishers for creating this truly amazing fun game book. I just can not wait to find more of the books.

The above review has already been placed on goodreads, waterstones, Google books, Barnes&noble, kobo, amazon UK where found and my blog https://ladyreading365.wixsite.com/website/post/you-are-not-deadpool-by-tim-dedopulos-aconyte-5-stars either under my name or ladyreading365.
I am also part of the book network  book tour 22/6/22
A super fun adventure game in the form of a book.
It really encompasses everything from Deadpool's signature sarcasm to Marvel lore, all in the form of a choose-your-own-adventure style book that also includes some dice, stats, and inventory elements (but more on that in the book's introductions, which you really should read!).

I "played" through some parts twice and still think there is more to discover in this book! I also think "You Are (Not) Deadpool" would be a fun game/book to play/read as a group at a game night or as an interactive element for a book club.
As a child, one of my favorite things to do was to read Choose Your Own Adventure books.  I loved being able to be a part of the story, and make decisions that impacted what happened next. I only cheated a little, I promise. You Are (Not) Deadpool is a love letter to those books of my childhood.  Tim Dedopulos has taken the interactive element of those CYOA books to new heights.

In order to read/play, you need a dice, and a place to keep notes.  I read this on my kindle, and used a digital dice and notepad on my phone.  While a physical copy may be easier to navigate, I found jumping around pages on my kindle seamless enough that it did not affect my enjoyment one bit.  What’s also really nice about this style of book is that it does have some light roleplay elements to it, but it’s super rules light, and accessible to someone who has never played a role playing game before.  As someone who plays Dungeons and Dragons weekly, I found the experience of being Deadpool’s newest assistant exhilarating.

#Marvel #MarvelEnt #Aconytebooks #review

This book book was given to me by Aconytebooks and NetGallery in exchange for honest review. All opinions are my own.

For more information visit marvel.com. © 2022 MARVEL
Can I just say what a fun read/adventure this book was? You Are (Not) Deadpool by Tim Dedopulos was this amazing mix of Deadpool snark and Marvel lore combined with classic choose-your-own-adventure style and dice/chance elements.

Did you ever read choose your own adventure books? I definitely did (I even had a Goosebumps one that I read so many times some of the pages started falling out). Well, You Are (Not) Deadpool is billed as an "adventure gamebook," but the premise is the same. As you progress through the story, you help Deadpool try and save the world from Centauri weapons through a combination of puzzles, dice rolling, and the attributes you've built up over game play. Every answer takes readers to a different page and onto a different plot. When I first read these types of books, they weren't digital so it was really cool to see the same premise taken into the modern age and ebooks. Rather than flipping through to the correct next page and maybe accidentally seeing a page or plot point I wasn't supposed to see yet, the ebook version is automatically linked to the correct page making it very easy to stay on the right path.

I thought Dedopulos did an excellent job at keeping Deadpool user friendly (since the reader is playing through the adventure with Deadpool, too many obscure Deadpool references would have only taken readers out of the story) while also injecting all the wit, sarcasm, and devil-may-care attitude that Deadpool is known for.

Deadpool was truly the perfect character for a Marvel gamebook. A character known for breaking the fourth wall both in the comics and on the big screen, it was completely in character for Deadpool to spend so much time in You Are (Not) Deadpool talking directly to the reader and even relying on your opinion and knowledge throughout the story.

What I love most about these kinds of books is the fact that you can read them many, many times and read a different story each time. I read through You Are (Not) Deadpool three different times and ended up with three vastly different Deadpool adventures. This book is hours of entertainment featuring the Merc with the Mouth, and I know I have many more adventures to go with this book.

There are some roleplaying game elements in this adventure; readers do need to keep track of base stats as well as any attributes you pick up along the way. Readers will also need a set of dice in order to determine outcomes throughout the story. I kept my game play 100% digital with the use of a a note app on my phone and a pair of virtual dice.

Overall, You Are (Not) Deadpool was all around entertaining whether you are a Deadpool fan or not. I would say having some prior Deadpool knowledge is helpful in terms of full entertainment value of this book, but any Marvel fan looking to relive the excitement of choose your own adventure books will definitely want to pick this title up.
Thank you to Netgalley and Aconyte books for providing me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Aaaah this book is SO fun! I had such a blast playing this - with all the stats, the inventories, rolling dye, I felt like I was playing a DnD game. It makes for a really fun and immersive experience, and it’s something I’m definitely going to play multiple times. Honestly I’m pretty sure I didn’t get all the endings (the one crit I have for this book, at least with an ebook, is that I had a hard time keeping track of how many endings I was hitting, and didn’t know how many endings there were) but that’ll be great for when I play this again. Honestly it was more of a game it felt, over a book, and I find that super fun.

The humor was also delightful and in-line with Deadpool, and I had such a blast with this. I usually expect an easy fun time with choose your own adventures but this genuinely exceeded my expectations with how you get to do the adventure here.

Disclaimer/Legals:
For more information visit marvel.com. © 2022 MARVEL
You Are (Not) Deadpool is a choose your own adventure book unlike any other I’ve read so far. It doesn’t only give you choices on how to continue the story but also has you roll a dice, pick up objects, and other things, making this an even more fun and immersive experience than I'd expected. Plus it’s also just really funny because the author captured what I’m going to call the ‘Deadpool-humour’ perfectly. I’d definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes Deadpool and/or Marvel in general, trust me, you’ll not regret it.