Cover Image: Within These Gilded Halls

Within These Gilded Halls

{3.5 stars}

This was such an intriguing read! I loved the mystery surrounding the treasure and the clues that were left behind to find it. It was so much fun to watch Phoebe and Graham work together to figure out what each of the clues meant and piece everything together, as well as the romance that built along the way.

I also appreciated that the book kept me guessing as to who the bad guys really were and how everyone was involved in the sketchy stuff that was going down around Avonthorpe. Everyone seemed suspicious at times. The plot twists were on point.

I will admit, the beginning was a little slow for me as I felt I had missed some crucial backstory for a couple of the characters (don't worry, things get explained eventually), and there was a little bit of redundancy at times, but overall I thought this was an enjoyable read. Definitely worth it for those that enjoy historical romance with a heavy dose of mystery and whodunnits.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the early copy; all thoughts are my own :)
Have been unable to review so far do to illness, but am really looking forward to reading this book. I have several friends that have read it and say that the romance is heart-warming and everything a romance reader wants in a book. Well-written characters and a superb plot and mystery keeps you reading into the night!
3.75 ⭐

"Running toward something, even with the best of intentions, can also mean running away from something else."

Phoebe Radcliff is a painter-in-training, studying art under the illustrious Miss Drake. Phoebe has lived at Avonthorpe Hall for almost two years, painstakingly repairing the enormous and intricate frieze in the ballroom. With the surprise arrival of Miss Drake's nephew, the devastating murder of Miss Drake, and rumors of hidden treasure, life and love at Avonthorpe Hall just got more precarious—and more deadly. Phoebe is in a race for answers and forced to face her past, and maybe, just maybe, she'll find her future along the way.

This mystery Regency romance from Abigail Wilson was well-written and extremely enjoyable. This is the first book I've read from this author, and I am definitely interested in reading more from her.

Phoebe and Lt. Burke were particularly well developed, and I was extremely invested in their budding romance and interactions. Phoebe does a fair amount of growing up and learning throughout the book, and her character arc was satisfying and realistic. Overall, I would say she was my favorite character.

The romance is darling, and the chemistry between the two love interests is real and palpable. It was a delight to watch them work together to find clues and watch them ultimately fall in love.

The twists and turns throughout the book were often unpredictable, and Miss Wilson keeps readers on their toes and keeps the tension high throughout the entire novel. I had my thoughts about who the guilty parties were, but I was still surprised by a few things by the end of the book.

<i>Within These Gilded Halls</i> does have characters from a previous book, but it was perfectly easy to read and coherent as a standalone novel.

There were some confusing moments in the book, and it was easy to miss important information. I do wish I had read the previous book to this one because there are some plot points that would have made more sense. Characters also behaved inconsistently at times, which pulled me out of the story.

That being said, I absolutely enjoyed this book, and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in a unique twist in the Regency romance genre.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the complimentary copy. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I was happy to read this book, glad for the continuation of this family's story. It was so fun to follow this mystery while having a side romance to go along. As I was reading it, I had to go back and listen to the book referenced before it, and then the book before that. It had been awhile since I had read them.

The characters were well developed, Phoebe was definitely complex in her emotional state and her feelings of betrayal. I wish we had more time with Miss Drake, she was a fun character.  Graham was a bit hard to get to know, but we made it there in the end.

A good story to continue the line. Maybe Julianna next?
This book is more of a mystery than a romance. Phoebe wants to solve the murder and the mystery of where the treasure is.
Caught up in a deadly race for answers, Phoebe must find a way to breach the shroud of lies that surrounds every last resident in the house and, more importantly, face a past she’s been running away from for far too long.studying art under Miss Drake, a renowned painter, Phoebe Radcliff is certain she can finally move beyond the childish mistake that’s kept her away from home. She is thrilled when Miss Drake employs her to complete a complicated ballroom renovation.
Everything changes, however, the moment Miss Drake is murdered. With her last breath she imparts the location of a clue to Phoebe. Can the biggest secret of Avonthorpe Hall be true—the rumored treasure real? Phoebe is tasked to finish her work in the ballroom by Miss Drake’s infuriatingly regimented yet all-too-handsome nephew, Lt. Graham Burke. Determined to fulfill the promise she made to her beloved teacher to find the treasure, Phoebe also works to uncover the truth about Miss Drake’s death—and she must do so before Lt. Burke leases the house.
But dark shadows line the gilded halls of Avonthorpe, and soon enough Phoebe realizes she’s not the only person who knows about the clues. What’s worse, she needs Lt. Burke’s help to stay ahead of whoever is hard on her heels. If only she weren’t so attracted to her.
I haven't read a book by this author before.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley. This in no way affects my opinion of this book which I read and reviewed voluntarily.
** “Let me ask you this: have you ever prayed for something for so long, then a door opens — maybe not the one you were expecting, but one opens nonetheless — and suddenly everything shifts into place?” **

Abigail Wilson delivers another Regency era romantic thriller with “Within These Gilded Halls,” a story featuring a treasure hunt and hidden identities.

Aspiring artist Phoebe Radcliff has been hired to complete an art renovation in the ballroom at Miss Sally Drake’s Avonthorpe Hall. But when Phoebe finds Miss Drake dying, the estate’s owner offers Phoebe a clue to her family’s missing treasure.

As Phoebe attempts to solve the clue and find the missing treasure, as well as who killed Miss Drake, she must decipher whom she can trust all while growing closer to Miss Drake’s handsome nephew, Lt. Graham Burke. While working together, they must evade danger and betrayal while overcoming past mistakes.

Wilson does a great job of creating a plot filled with twists and turns, leaving the reader constantly guessing and reworking their guesswork. She develops great characters, including a giant dog named Creature.

She also fills “Within These Gilded Halls” with great themes, like the importance of exchanging ideas and seeing worlds beyond our own; experiencing curiosity and hope; overcoming betrayal; reconciliation; making the impossible possible; and finding peace through prayer.

Fans of authors like Joanna Davidson Politano and Sarah E. Ladd will enjoy this story, which is due out Oct. 4.

Five stars out of five.

Thomas Nelson provided this complimentary copy through NetGalley for my honest, unbiased review.
If you want a story that consists of murder, adventure, suspense, and Love then this book is for you. After studying under the teachings of Miss Drake, a renowned painter, Phoebe Radcliff is finally ready to move on from her childhood mistakes. She takes on the opportunity to complete a ballroom renovation for Miss Drake. Everything changes when Miss Drake is murdered. Before her last breathe she tells Phoebe a clue to find a real treasure. Phoebe works to uncover the truth of the treasure and who killed Miss Drake. When she realizes that she will need the help of Miss Drake's nephew Lt.Burke to stay ahead of whoever is on her heels. if only she wasn't so attracted to him. As they get closer to finding the treasure the attraction between them grows. I won't give too much away, but I really enjoyed this journey and I know anyone who reads this will as well. These are my hoenst opinion and I was given an advanced copy from NetGalley
I could not finish this book.  It was not the fault of the author but the publisher's mark was on every page of my KIndle and it interfered with the reading so much, I just gave up.  If anyone else manages to persevere and leaves a good review, I'll try it again withOUT the publisher's mark!
Wilson pens another engaging story with likeable characters, light faith element, clean romance, and a mystery. Reading her books is like taking a vacation without leaving your home! Looking forward to the next one.
Phoebe Radcliff, a budding artist who is fleeing from an unwise relationship, lands an opportunity to learn from a mentor artist at the artist’s country estate. When Lieutenant Graham Burke, the artist’s handsome, overbearing young relative, heir to the estate, arrives on the scene, Phoebe wonders if her artistic endeavors will be cut short. After a murder takes place, Phoebe and Graham must join forces to solve the crime before the murderer claims another victim as well as a legendary long-lost treasure. Fans of Regency-era fiction will find much to enjoy in this suspenseful tale.
Abigail Wilson has become one of my favorite regency authors! Her stories are atmospheric, mysterious, and romantic...and I've enjoyed every one of them. The mystery in Within These Gilded Halls was wonderfully plotted, though, as is usually the case with me, it was the romance that kept me glued to the page. Phoebe and Lt. Burke's interactions are entertaining, and overall, I was just charmed by the whole thing. Another fantastic book from an author who's become an auto-buy/auto-read for me!
Just as wonderful as I expected! I got lost in the world and mystery every time I picked it up.
I loved Graham! He’s such a great leading man…calm, quiet, in control-pretty much the exact opposite of Phoebe.

Speaking of leading men, Mr. Montague is definitely a leading man. Please write his book next! Maybe with Julianna???? ☺️
I loved this book! I love anything from Regency time period. The gothic feel of the romance and the clues make it fun and intriguing. The author's descriptions are wonderful. I'm glad I discovered this author and cannot wait to read more of her books.
I’m sorry but this book was not a fit for me.  There is too much dialog and not enough personal narrative. I kept thinking this was a part of a series and I had missed information from a previous book. The beginning was confusing. The murder  mystery did interest me, I just couldn’t keep up with all the dialog.
Abigail Wilson delivers another wonderful regency era gothic mystery in Within These Gilded Halls, and I think readers everywhere are going to find themselves drawn into the suspense and intrigue surrounding Phoebe and Graham's swoon worthy romance.

I know I can always count on this author delivering a mystery that will keep me engaged right throughout, and usually keep me guessing right until the end. While I'd have a hard time picking a favorite story of hers, this one is definitely right up there, and I could barely bring myself to put it down.

I'm always drawn to mysteries where the characters are trying to solve a mystery in the present that relates to the past, and I loved the treasure quest throughout this one, and how it draws Phoebe and Graham closer together, while at the same time shining a suspicious light on pretty much every character throughout the entirety of the story.

I enjoyed how well pieced together the mystery was, and I ended up being quite surprised by the end reveals. The author definitely keeps the reader hanging on for quite sometime trying to figure out who it was that killed the infamous Mrs. Drake, and I don't think anyone writes a mystery quite as enchantingly as Abigail Wilson does.

I honestly don't have a bad thing to say about this one, and I loved how it heavily reminded me of Jane Austen which is always a good thing in my book.

Another wonderful release from one of my favorite historical fiction authors, and one I'd highly recommend to anyone who is a fan of clean, faith based mysteries and/or regency era romances.

Final Rating: 5/5.

Thanks so much to Thomas Nelson for allowing me to advance read and review this one!

I voluntarily read and reviewed a complimentary advance reader copy of this novel from the publisher (Thomas Nelson) via NetGalley. I was not required to give a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own, and this is my honest review.
When I read the description of Abigail Wilson's latest book Within These Gilded Halls, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it. I normally do not read murder mysteries, they are not a genre I enjoy reading. I have read several other books by this author so I thought I would give it a chance. I am so delighted that I did. The suspense and mystery of this story was so well done. It brings you into the plot of the story before you even know it. The relationship between Phoebe and the handsome nephew Lt. Graham Burke was entertaining although sometimes predictable. The ending was very good, I never saw it coming, it had me guessing throughout the entire story.
I would like to thank Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for allowing me  read and review this book. The opinions in this review are my own.
If you enjoy clean historical fiction with lots of adventure, Within These Gilded Halls by Abigail Wilson is just what you are looking for. It is a clean murder mystery with a sweet love story woven throughout.

Synopsis:
A famous artist, Miss Drake is Phoebe Radcliff's beloved art instructor. When Miss Drake commissions Phoebe to renovate her ballroom, she is honored. The project takes an emotional turn when Miss Drake is murdered. In her dying moments, Miss Drake reveals hidden clues to Phoebe. Do rumors of a hidden treasure hold any truth?

The plot of Within These Gilded Halls is light, enchanting, and filled with interesting characters. To round out the story, Creature the dog adds an adorable touch. Reading a romantic novel free from graphic sexual content is refreshing and enjoyable.

Within These Gilded Halls by Abigail Wilson is available on October 4th.

Thank you, NetGalley and Thomas Nelson, for sharing this adorable book with me. Your kindness is appreciated.
Abigail Wilson brings her readers another intricately woven mystery set in Regency England. Searching for a treasure that has remained hidden for many years is sure to keep the reader interested. Especially when you add in many who are up to no good at all. Well done!

My thanks to Thomas Nelson Publishing for a copy of this book via Net Galley. The opinions in this review are expressly my own.
Abigail Wilson has continued this mysterious series with another murder mystery/romance. Phoebe Radcliffe, a minor character in her last book, gets to tell her story as she finds her way as a painter far away from home. Everyone is a suspect and not everyone is likeable at first! But as characters grow on you and you begin to suspect the worse of others Wilson will surprise you with her plot twists. I was never a murder/mystery reader before this series but I have been addicted and enjoyed each story!
What a great suspense! I enjoyed the characters and felt like they complemented each other well. This book kept me engaged and had a hard time putting it down until the very end.