Cover Image: Within These Gilded Halls

Within These Gilded Halls

This is a Regency romance with a twist – there’s also some treasure hunting adventures to be had.

Phoebe is a great character. Confident and independent, she is artistic and training to paint and restore under the tutelage of Miss Drake, the owner of Avonthorpe Hall. Despite her insecurities and fears that a past mistake will have a long term effect on her future, she is sparky and determined to to find happiness in her own terms.

Her relationship with Lt. Burke develops through the book as they are brought together to solve tge mysteries hidden in the house.

The treasure hunt clues are clever and fun. As tge treasure hunt was set with a specific person in mind the clues are hard to decipher. While some can be researched, some answers are stumbled upon.

There’s lots of fun and lots of twists. Altogether a great read. Thank you Netgalley for my gifted digital copy.
Is there anything more wonderful than a mystery, regency romance? I thought there wasn’t!! And then Abigail Wilson added a treasure hunt! How fun and awesome is that?! And to make it even better, this is Pheobe Radcliffe’s story. (If you read Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey, she has a slight role in that story- though not critical to have read in order to read this book) Which causes me to wonder if her sister, Juliana, will have a story too, that would be so wonderful!
Pheobe is such a talented artist, and all around beautiful person, I loved seeing her get a happy ending! And *sigh* Lt. Graham Burke, a man who likes his orderly appearances, a true military man, but has a hidden side to him that makes him absolutely perfect for Pheobe.
This is such a fun story, murder mystery and all! If you enjoy a good mystery, with romance, humour and riddles, you’ll absolutely love this one! I highly recommend it!

Thankyou NetGalley and Thomas Nelson for the complimentary e-arc in exchange for my review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Content: clean
Romance: kissing
Violence: mild
Language: none
Thank you NetGalley and Thomas Nelson--FICTION for this ARC in exchange for my fair and honest review.

Rating: 4 Stars
Publication: October 4, 2022
Pages: 336

“Within These Gilded Halls” is a first time read by Abigail Wilson, new author to this reader.  Well, what to say about this story…heck it kept me up all night wanting to get to the end.  Glad to have been on holiday to enable me to do so.

The story is about the daughter of Lord Torrington, Phoebe Radcliff who is an artist that has studied under a renowned painter. She left home after being betrayed and scandalized. She is employed by Miss Drake to complete a ballroom renovation…something she believes will bring her happiness and a future.  When Miss Drake is murdered, her whole life changes.  Phoebe is left with a clue to solving a murder and finding a treasure.  She is later joined by Lt. Graham Burke, the handsome nephew of Miss Drake.

Knowing the clue, Phoebe finds herself in danger and with help of Graham they travel to unravel clues before other individuals of Avonthorpe Hall beat them to the punch.  Love the suspense and adventure.  The characters put you in the mind of Mr. Darcy and Miss Elizabeth and you can see the comparison between Phoebe and Graham.  I really enjoyed the interactions between the H/h. The story was well-written and kept me engaged right to very end.  Although I found some historical hiccups in the story, but it did not overshadow the intent of the plot.  Looking forward to reading more by this author.  Recommend the read.
I stayed up late so I could finish this one! I couldn't put it down! Hooked from the first page trying to figure out what was going to happen next! Another fantastic book by Abigail!

I received an ARC through Netgalley and all opinions are my own.
I’m not usually a fan of regency romance books, however, this intriguing story was well written and a nice surprise.  Graham and Phoebe are very similar to Mr. Darcy and Lizzie.

In 1816, Phoebe, who is the daughter of Lord Torrington, took art lessons from Miss Drake.  Later Phoebe and Graham come together to solve the murder of Miss Drake, who is Graham’s great-aunt.  There are a number of suspicious suspects, however, not one actually stands out as the perpetrator. As the investigation evolves, the relationship between Phoebe and Graham.

Phoebe and Graham are well developed characters, and their likable personalities went together well.  This story combines mystery and romance well.  What I really loved about this book is that is was clean, and faith-based.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers.  All comments and opinions are my own.
Wonderful plot and characters in a setting and set up that had me turning pages as fast as I could. Delightful. Will be looking for more books by Wilson.
#withinthesegildedhalls  #netgalley

This was a great story to read. I loved the storyline and the characters, definitely recommend this book!
Phoebe Radcliff and her brother Daniel are spending time under Muss Drake’s tutelage to improve their artist efforts.  Phoebe does not know why Kuch way to turn when suddenly Miss Drake winds up dead!

Does this terrible occurrence have anything to do with the recent arrival of Miss Drake’s nephew, Lt. Burke?  So many unknowns are involved in solving this crime!
In WITHIN THESE GILDED HALLS by ABIGAIL WILSON we come across many characters from Twilight at Moorington Cross, but the novel can easily stand alone. It is a story that is full of mystery, with interesting characters, some of whom are decidedly shady.
Phoebe Radcliff has left her home after being betrayed by Jean Cloutier and the accompanying scandal, and is working, together with her childhood friend Daniel Hill, under Miss Drake, to finish painting the frieze in the dining hall at Avonthorpe Hall. When Miss Drake is murdered, and, with her dying  breath, gives Phoebe a clue for finding King John’s treasure, Phoebe’s life is in danger and she doesn’t know who she can trust. She and Lieutenant Graham Burke, Miss Drake’s nephew, who has also suffered betrayal from his best friend, work hard to unravel the clues to finding the treasure before any of the rather unscrupulous residents of Avonthorpe Hall do so.
This is a really exciting “cloak and dagger” Regency romance novel with piracy,, treachery and adventure. I recommend this read to anyone who enjoys this genre.
I was given a free copy of the book by NetGalley from Thomas Nelson. The opinions in this review are completely my own.

For some reason I never connected Phoebe with Lord Torrington of Masquerade at Middlecrest, which I assure you I did read so when I finally connected the dots, I got really excited.

For the same reasons I didn't fully enjoy Middlecrest, I couldn't quite get into this book. The main issue is that because we only get one POV and in first-person, there are certain subplots that get left hanging. I won't say more because of spoilers, but when I turned to the last page I said, 'wait what? We're already at the end?' However, Abigail's writing is both entertaining and poetic.

I did think Phoebe was incredibly naive to not doubt a single person the entire novel, especially concerning the betrayal in her past. It didn't quite ring true.

I loved the allusions to Jane Austen and I can definitely see where the comparison to Darcy and Elizabeth come in. The vivid descriptions drew me in and I felt like I was personally walking the halls of Avonthorpe. I really enjoyed Phoebe and Lt. Burke's interactions and how they played off each other. I didn't really get the enemies-to-lovers vibe some people were saying.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. All opinions expressed are my own.
Overall, excellent characters, brilliant and vivid descriptions, well paced plotting, a terrific hook and a very satisfying ending. I look forwards very much to reading Abigail's next book.
I really do love books by this author. She meshes so well a little mystery with a genuine love building relationship. Phoebe and Lt. Burke were both so likable and I liked how well they worked together.
The whole story kept me engaged and I was eager to find out “who did it.” With so many house guests it could have been anyone. It was fun seeing how it all played out and how the pieces fell into place.

Also, I really want to reread ‘Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey’ because Phoebe is from that book and this story has many references to those characters and timeline.

"I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."
Miss Phoebe Radcliff is a talented artist, an unusual occupation for a lady in 1819. She’s  tasked with restoring the ballroom of Alvonthorpe Hall for Miss Drake. When Miss Drake is murdered with her dying breath she gives Phoebe the clue to finding treasure. Treasure that has long been rumoured to have been hidden by Josiah Drake.

Part romance, part murder mystery and part treasure hunt this as unusual regency novel. I enjoyed the mystery and treasure hunt alongside the sweet romance storyline. There are some historical inaccuracies, such as the constable having a truncheon (for an 1819 set novel this is too early). And the inevitable Americanisms. Overall a very enjoyable story.
I enjoyed reading this mysterious, suspenseful, and romantic novel about a young painter who is working under the tutelage of a renowned painting instructor Miss Drake.   It is written in the first-person narrative of Phoebe, who is staying at her instructor’s estate and helping her restore the ballroom to its former glory.  As the story begins, there are two men that show up at the estate, without prior notice.  One is Miss Drake’s heir, who is the handsome Lieutenant Burke, with a friend in tow.  They are there to work on Lt. Burke's passion for relics and artifacts from ancient civilizations.  A tragedy happens in the house that shocks everyone.  There are a lot of characters throughout the book, and each is suspect as the investigation proceeds. The book is well-written and moves quickly as they try and solve clues to a tangled puzzle while investigating the tragedy.  Romance also blooms as the story moves forward. I would recommend this book because it is well written, maintains a quick pace, and keeps you wanting to read that next chapter.  I ended up staying up late just to finish the book, not willing to wait another day to learn how it all turns out. I love historical romance and mysteries, and this was a great read that combined it all.
I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are voluntary and unbiased and are completely my own opinion.
Another five-star book from Abigail Wilson, one of my favorite authors! Within These Gilded Halls is another expertly-crafted historical romantic suspense novel, and I loved everything about it. Cravats and a treasure hunt and a smart and impulsive heroine--I didn't want to put this one down. The mystery gripped me from the very beginning, and the romance was perfect.

The connection with Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey makes me want to reread that book too! I'm all in for anything this author writes!

Highly, highly recommend!
Review posted via Goodreads as of 6/2/2022
Phoebe Radcliff is a painting student under Miss Drake. Our story begins when Phoebe is painting the ballroom of her teacher's house. Miss Drake has employed Pheobe's help with renovating her house. the good fortune only lasts so long when Miss Drake is murdered and everyone is a suspect. With her last breath, Miss. Drake gives Pheobe a clue to find a treasure hidden in the house. determined to find the killer and the treasure, can Phoebe unravel the clues before time runs out?

I enjoyed this novel. The mystery had me until the last page. I did find some parts to be confusing but it did not take away from the book. I have to include that I loved the cover and the painter's concept. I would recommend this book to my family and friends.
Abigil Wilson once again delivers an intriguing mystery that keeps the pages turning.

Set in regency England, readers join the main characters, Phoebe Radcliff and Lieutenant Graham Burke, an a generations old treasure hunt. Murder, betrayal, and greed make the search for answers that much more difficult. Phoebe and Graham have to rely on each other to decipher the clues left behind in the form riddles in order to find the treasure and murderer.

This historical romance coupled with mystery was a delight to read.

It kept me guessing until the very end, nothing was given away as you try to figure out who is friend and who is foe. The historical tidbits were welcomed and added to the story.

Phoebe and Graham complimented each other and their relationship grew in a natural way. Phoebe struggled with her past and had trouble forgiving herself for her mistakes, but her growth as a character was seen through out the book.

Needless to say, this was an entertaining read and checked all the boxes for me to make it a 5 star read.

Thank you to the Publisher for providing an advanced readers copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. My review and opinions are my own.
For those looking for a clean regency romance with a strong side of mystery, "Within These Gilded Halls" is a winner. There was a lot to like in this story- particularly the pacing once the mystery kicked into full gear. I was engaged and wanted to find out more, which kept me going from chapter to chapter. I will say that this book did not stand out for me among other stories and the dialogue felt a bit flat, causing me to skip ahead at certain points.

Overall, it was a solid read. Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for this digital ARC in a exchange for an honest review.
Within these Gilded Halls is a new exciting regency romance with a mix of historical mystery. The characters are interesting, the story is engaging, the mystery is detailed and complex and the romance is sweet and true!

Avonthrope hall is a Grande estate and has been in the Drake family for generations. Miss Drake, the current owner, has hired Phoebe (and her childhood friend Daniel) to restore the paintings/wall materials to their previous state.

When Miss Drake is murdered and found by Phoebe, she imparts a Drake family secret in her last words, there is a treasure that has been hidden. Taking it upon herself to find the killer(s) along with the lost treasure/fortune, this is the start of a mysterious puzzle game for Phoebe.

The story is packed full of interesting characters, all who may or may not have a reason and an opportunity to murder, so the story has plenty of twists and turns. I liked the “Clue” like the way the story is told and the many possible outcomes. The story kept me on my toes and had me guessing as every new clue was revealed.

This author has a way of capturing the readers' attention and engaging them in her story. I have been a fan since the very first book she published, and this is another wonderful reason I keep coming back for more. This is a story for all ages, from kids to grandmothers and even family readers. It is sure to delight!

Thank you to NetGalley, Thomas Nelson Publishers and the author for the opportunity to read and enjoy this ARC. I am leaving an honest review.
Set in 1816, Phoebe Radcliff was an art student under Miss Drake who wants to move beyond the mistake that’s kept her from home. She is thrilled when Miss Drake employs her to complete a ballroom renovation, but then Miss Drake is murdered. With her last breath she imparts the location of a clue about a treasure at Avonthorpe Hall.

Miss Drake’s great-nephew, an antiquarian, Lt. Graham Burke tells her to finish the ballroom, and Phoebe has until Graham leases the house to finish the project, find the treasure, and uncover the murderer.

Mystery and regency romance? This should’ve been a slam dunk for me, but it just never grabbed my attention.

The flat dialogue info dump in the beginning without a single reflective narrative thought from Phoebe almost made me give up. I found the build up to the murder and the introduction of the characters dull and no one’s personality was distinguished from another’s. The treasure hunt did pick up but the clues and the romance didn’t keep my interest.

I received an arc from NetGalley