Cover Image: Like the Wind

Like the Wind

A wonderful story of second chances, rediscovering one's faith and understanding one's role in this world, Like The Wind by Robin Lee Hatcher manages to capture our attention from the moment the story starts and keeps us hooked in the lives of all the characters who form the main framework of this story.

There are two stories running in parallel - one is between Olive and her daughter Emma and the other being a diary written by a woman during The Great Depression, in which she writes about her life during those hard times. Emma reads the diary and it helps her find her way back to people she thought didn't care for her and understand herself as well. The author has managed to touch my heart with these people's stories and their journey in holding to their faith inspite of all these adversities.

This book is a must read for you if you are into Christian stories which make you think about yourself and your relationship with the Almighty along with telling a sweet story of second- chances.
This is quintessential Robin Lee Hatcher! A sweet story and quick read I finished in just a couple days.

Interspersing the diary entries with the present-day story was a creative way to prompt character growth, pique the reader's interest, and flesh out the story suitably. The book felt shorter than its 330-odd pages, and I felt it could have actually been a bit longer--especially around the climax; a character's about-face seemed a little rapid given the circumstances.

But, I still very much enjoyed the read, and would certainly pick it up again (and happily). Hatcher's books always feel like a nice cozy blanket, very comforting and sweet (and yet, she also doesn't shy away from life's challenging issues, either!).

4/5 stars.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
I loved the premise of this novel, and I am a huge fan of split timelines. I was more engaged and interested in the diary, it's story and characters. Overall, I enjoyed this novel, but I didn't care too much about the characters in the present day

I received a copy from the publisher through Netgalley.  Opinions are my own.
This is the first time that I have read anything by this author, but it will not be my last!

I enjoyed the amount of Scripture that is in this story and the prayers by the different characters.

This is another dual timeline with a diary involved and left me wanting to find out how the story would end.

Tyler, Emma and Olivia were my favorite characters.

Thanks souch to netgalley and the publisher for the arc. The opinions are my own.
Like the Wind by Robin Lee Hatcher is a remarkable novel told in two time periods. Olivia struggles to connect with her teenage daughter and finds love along the way. The small town, the cast of characters— there’s so much to love about this book. I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher with no obligations. These opinions are entirely my own.
“A strong March wind buffeted Olivia Ward’s back as she climbed the steps to the deck of her friend’s cabin.”

I was so excited to win this one from goodreads, I really liked this one!

What I liked:
- Quick and easy
- The journal entries

Meh:
- The climax was much shorter than I had anticipated. It didn’t feel very realistic to me. I wish I could say more but it might be a spoiler.
This book have two stories first from present day and other from another century provide from a diary. In present day Emma a teenage who must move with her mother find this diary, it is get her attention because the writer want to be actress too.

Both stories have their own struggle, question God, find God again. It is beautiful story here. I enjoy Bethlehem Springs scenery.

Thank you to NetGalley for provide this book, it is pleasure to review this book.

#LikeTheWind #RobinLeeHatcher #ThomasNelsonFiction #NetGalley #ARC
Overall quite good:
This book was quite emotional at times and it tugged at my heartstrings, especially as I witnessed Olivia battling to reconnect with her estranged teenage daughter. I liked the powerful Christian message and my spirit felt uplifted from reading this book.
However I personally preferred the contemporary story more than the 1930s dual timeline part as I found it jumped a bit and the flow was disjointed. Also there was a slow to develop, later in life relationship between Olivia and Tyler and I would have liked to see less of an abrupt change of heart from her as she only really came around right at the end after struggling with trust issues.
I received a free copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving a review. All opinions expressed are solely my own.
Like the Wind by Robin Lee Hatcher is a most interesting read with strong Christian values, filled with grace and love. A book that holds your attention. It shows that if we are faithful in not being filled with wrath and vengeance when we are done an injustice we can come out on the top side. Olivia Ward lost everything when she requested a divorce from her controlling wealthy husband.  Not just her marriage but her career and her daughter, Emma. Her ex didn't really want the child but being the hateful person he was, he didn't want Olivia to get custody. Then he ships her off to a wealthy boarding school. After her dad is killed in an accident, Emma is returned to her mother. She is angry, resentful, and sullen. Missing the wealthy school and her friends, she is very unhappy. Olivia is at a loss in how to reach her daughter, a daughter she no longer knows. A delightful read with a great ending.....I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Wow! This story grabbed me almost from the beginning. I was sad for it to end. Almost like parting with old friends.
Marriage did not turn out the way Olivia had hoped and dreamed. Her divorce was long and left her broke financially, broken hearted and without custody of her young daughter, Emma. That is what money and power can sometimes do. Even worse, was when Daniel moved himself and Emma to Florida, putting much distance between Olivia and Emma. As time passed, distance grew between Olivia and Emma. Who knew what Daniel was telling the child?
Olivia lives in Bethlehem Springs, Idaho renting a place from her very good friend, and eventually purchasing it.
Emma is now fifteen years old and living in an expensive boarding school when she was told her father had died. Her world is now turned upside down as she is forced to move to Idaho and live with her mother. Daniel had left absolutely no provisions for his daughter. How could he do that to her?
Emma is very sad and angry. Life as she knew it is over. The chasm between mother and daughter is quite wide.
I appreciated that Olivia was very careful to not speak ill of Emma's dad to her. That is so easy to do and parents have no idea the damage that is done to a child through that.
Tyler Murphy works for a law firm as an investigator and has been hired by Daniel's father to investigate Olivia and see if she is a fit mother for Emma. Daniel had cut his own father off, and he never had the opportunity to meet either Olivia or Emma. During Tyler's investigation he soon realizes that Olivia is indeed a fit mother and a wonderful person. Uh, oh. Do you see where this is heading?
I hope I haven't given away too much of the story. I can't say enough what a fantastic story this is! I thoroughly loved it! I also loved all the scripture throughout the story.
I was given an advanced ecopy by the publisher, Thomas Nelson through Netgalley. I was under no obligation to write a positive review.
I had a hard time with this book.  First I misplaced it and then had a difficult time following the book when I finally located it.  Really a very rough draft with too many distractions added in the middle of the paragraphs making it difficult to follow.

Interesting story regarding the divorce of a woman from a rich vindictive man who took their daughter because he could.  After his death in an car accident the things he didn’t do that affected his daughter’s life in a negative way.  The difficulties the mother and daughter had adjusting to each other  because of this vindictive man.
Six years ago, Olivia’s husband divorced her, leaving her with nothing, not even custody of their daughter, Emma. But Daniel is now dead, forcing Emma to leave her friends, her school, and her home in Florida to live with her mother in Bethlehem Springs, Idaho. Predictably, there is a lot of conflict between Olivia and fifteen-year-old Emma. Olivia is an excellent parent, and never criticises her dead ex-husband no matter how easy that would have been or how much he deserved it, but there is still tension between the two. After all, they are virtually strangers.

Tyler Murphy grew up in foster care, and now works for a law firm, investigating families to make sure the children are being protected. Conveniently, his newest case is in his home town, hired by Peter Ward to investigate the daughter-in-law he’s never met. That was an obvious set-up for future conflict, and was perhaps a little too predictable.

And, given this is a contemporary romance, there is the obvious building relationship between Olivia and Tyler, and Tyler’s inevitable big reveal that goes exactly as well as I’d expected. I have to admit that I’m not a fan of plots where there is a big secret that you know is going to go down like a lead balloon when it’s revealed. Yes, I know we want to see some tension in the novel, but I still want to be surprised.

That all made sense. What didn’t make as much sense was the inclusion of journal extracts from an unnamed woman writing in the 1930s, as the Great Depression took hold of California. It wasn’t clear who was writing the journal until around the halfway point. As such, I didn’t find it nearly as interesting as the contemporary plot … and I probably thought it detracted from the overall plot for most of the novel.

As it turned out, the journal was an excellent choice for showing the story’s spiritual arc, as the journal writer shared her thoughts on and struggles with God in mini sermons. While I still preferred the contemporary arc, I do think the journal was a clever literary device.

Overall, Like the Wind was a strong contemporary romance with excellent writing and lots of strong characters. It’s also nice to see an older couple in Christian romance (Tyler is forty and never married; Olivia is a little younger).

Thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a free ebook for review.
I enjoy Hatcher’s storytelling usually but this one felt a little disconnected to me. The joint storyline with one being present day and the other being told in a journal from the 1930s just didn’t mesh together. Tyler fell in love with Olivia far too fast and then out of nowhere, at the end, Olivia was in love too after being told the whole book she didn’t trust and I never saw her do the work to get to love.

Robin Lee Hatcher has such a beautiful way of writing stories that not only tell beautiful romantic love stories, but that also celebrate family in a beautiful way too. Like the Wind was no exception. In this story we meet Olivia who had just been reunited with her daughter, from whom she'd be isolated from due to a messy divorce. While there is a love story as well, much of the book does revolve around their relationship as well.

This story goes back and forth between several POVs- Olivia, her daughter Emma, Tyler and a 1930s diary that Emma has found. I must admit at first this really through me because it changed rather abruptly each time, and it took me a bit to catch on. I do think that perhaps this abrupt change was actually more to do with the formatting of the ARC digital copy I received, as those can sometimes be a little off when it comes to page layouts (so spaces between POV changes, for instance, may not have actually showed up on my end, but would in the finished copy. Having read previous books by this author, I know that typically her transitions between timelines and such are generally very clear.

Once I got used to that minor issue, I absolutely adored this book. My heart broke for Emma and Olivia and all that had been through. I was drawn into their story and so badly wanted them to get their happy ending. The author did a great job of capturing their unique relationship well. I also found Tyler to be such a good match for Olivia as well.

There were some parts that I perhaps would have liked to see expanded on, but overall I thought this was such an enjoyable read. If you enjoy inspirational stories of mother/daughter relationships as well as romance too, this is certainly one to check out.

**I received a complimentary copy for consideration. All thoughts are my own.
SO SO Good! I loved the character development and how vivid they were. I have never read a book by robin lee hatcher and was pleasantly surprised
This is a dual time novel that follows Olivia in the present. Her vengeful ex-husband kept their daughter from her for six years until his death. Now Emma wants nothing to do with her mother, whom she believes didn’t want her.
Emma finds a ninety-year-old diary. She is fascinated by the life of Millie MacIver, who had a hard life during the Depression.
I love the prayers sprinkled throughout the diary. The whole story kept my attention from beginning to end, and I highly recommend Like the Wind.
Robin Lee Hatcher pens a story of love, heartache, joy and forgiveness. One that's sure to pull your heartstrings and maybe cause you to ponder a few things within your own life as well. Olivia Ward has lost the two things in life she held dearest...her marriage and her daughter. When circumstances bring her now 15-year-old daughter back into her life they'll have years of deception to unravel. I really loved each aspect of this book. The characters, their chemistry, and the diary that may hold the key to bringing mother and daughter together again.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.
A huge thanks to Thomas Nelson for my complimentary copy and all opinions expressed are entirely my own.

I am a huge Robin Lee Hatcher fan and so I jumped at the chance to read this book.  The book follows Olivia who suffers a divorce from the infuriating Daniel who also happens to take their daughter whilst living her in a dire financial situation.  When he dies he leaves nothing for her but Emma doesn't believe her mum wanted her.
 I enjoyed how a close knitted and loving community such as Bethlehem Springs , how theatre and a journal  helped Emma come into her own. I recommend everyone read this book. It's a reminder of how God heals.
Like the Wind is a touching story by Robin Lee Hatcher. Olivia Ward lost everything in her divorce six years ago including her daughter. Not her fault but because of her wealthy, controlling ex-husband. Now he has died so her daughter who is a teenager is back with Olivia. You can only imagine what Olivia has been through.

A daughter who grieving in her own way plus all the mixed up attitudes that come along with being a teenager, Olivia has her work cut out for her. Add in an investigator send to check out Olivia, this story has its share of angst and drama. All of this is handled beautifully in the story. The characters begin to see the Lord at work in their lives as they begin to bond over a hundred year old diary.

I liked the way that this older time is told through the diary entries. It is not exactly a dual timeline but seems like it because of the diary. Truly knowing the past can be a help for the present. Olivia and Emma do precisely that. Tyler Murphy comes to a clear respect and even love for Olivia. Through this story you see the Lord, his mercy, and his grace. Wonderful read.

The publisher through Net Galley provided a digital ARC. I have voluntarily decided to read and review, giving my personal opinions and thoughts.
I finshed Like the Wind by Robin Lee Hatcher and I was having all the feels. This is not my first book by this author but, it is my third and she is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Her books are so satisfying and fulfilling. They are a tiny bit Christian based. Not in your face but, she shows people who rely on their faith to get through life or those who have lost their faith and are slowly making their way back. It is not the total focal point of the book. It just gives it another demension.

This book is about a woman who has it all and her controlling husband yanks it out from underneath her feet. Olivia Ward has to start over and doesn’t even have a home to live in. The husband moves across the country making it impossible to see her daughter very often. So, literally she has lost everything that means anything to her. She plants her feet on the ground and goes about rebuilding a life for herself. Six years later she learns that Emma will be coming to live with her turning her life upside down once again. I really enjoyed the characters in this book. I could understand where they were coming from and I knew how they were thinking. In other words, the character development was perfect in my eyes.

The story telling and the plot development kept me interested. Emma discovered an old diary that drew her in and parts of the book were entries from the diary. Well…you know me, I love diaries and books that contain diaries. The mention of the diary drew me in and I was there to stay until the book was finished. I really must learn how to live life outside of my books because they even take over my dreams at night. I am never not thinking about them as I go about my daily chores.

If you love books about strong women, diaries and those who lean on their faith to get them through the hard spots, then this book is for you. Please don’t let the Christian aspects turn you away. I promise you there is only a smattering here and there. I highly recommend this author and anything that she happens to write. Until next time…Happy Reading!

Don’t forget to support the authors you read by leaving a review!

I recieved a copy of this book from the author, #Netgalley and #ThomasNelsonPublishers. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.