Cover Image: Peanut Butter Panic

Peanut Butter Panic

I thoroughly enjoy the Amish Candy Shop Mystery and Peanut Butter Panic was a great addition to this series. In this book, we meet Zara Bevan, the mother of Village organizer, Margot Rawlings. Zara was previously a judge in the area and she had treated the Amish that came before her in court very severely. She was not well liked and it was surprising that she chose to return to Harvest Ohio in such a public way, attending the town Thanksgiving Dinner. When Margot goes to pick her up at the airport, she finds her dragging along her boy toy, a man younger than Margot herself. At the dinner Zara announces that she and her boyfriend Blaze Smith, are going to get married. At the dinner Blaze suffers an allergic reaction, and his epi-pen is nowhere to be found. He dies and suspicions abound. Will Bailey be able to help find the culprit before the local police once more bumble the case.

I enjoy all the talk of chocolate, festivals and life with the Amish in this series. It is a very busy time for Bailey and the employees of Swissmen Sweets. Learning about Margot's mother reminded me that prejudice abounds in our world against people of all races, cultures, religion and more. Blaze is after Zara's money and everyone knows it, including Zara. He is also deathly allergic to peanuts and even brought his own Amish Spread without peanuts, so how did peanuts get in his food. Bailey's boyfriend, Aiden is now working for the Ohio Bureau of Investigation, so he isn't around much, although he is called in for this case. I was worried that their relationship might not last, but fortunately, Amanda Flower has a twist for us. As usual, all the pets are there including Jethro the pig. This was another well written and plotted cozy mystery with lots of suspects, some red herrings and some big twists. I definitely recommend Peanut Butter Panic to cozy mystery lovers, better yet, read the whole series if you haven't already.

by Amanda Flower

I always enjoy the novels in Amanda Flower’s cozy mystery series The Amish Candy Shop Mysteries. Peanut Butter Panic is no exception.

Bailey, an Englisch chocolatier, is co-owner with her grandmother of Swissmen Sweets in the tourist town of Harvest. There is a lot going on for Bailey. Margo, the town event coordinator, has organized a Thanksgiving celebration for the whole area that unifies the Amish and the Englisch in one big celebration. The arrival of Margot’s mother Zara, a fierce retired judge who is remembered for the harsh sentences she passed on Amish defendants, arrives suddenly and is unexpectedly accompanied by a much younger boyfriend.  Her appearance throws Margot into a panic as Zara has made it clear that Margot has never lived up to her standards. When a murder occurs at the dinner, both Margot and Zara appeal to Bailey who has a reputation as a successful unofficial sleuth.

Other complications in the plot for Bailey include the intense sales period of Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday. It is difficult to produce enough sweets for all of these events in addition to the Jethro bars made for tourists in honor of the pot-bellied pig Jethro who has appeared on Bailey’s cooking show. Add in the difficulties of Bailey’s semi-long distance  relationship with Aiden who has accepted a position with the Ohio BCI. She is also considering expanding Swissmen Sweets which would be a big change for her and for her grandmother.

There are a lot of twists and turns as hidden relationships and identities emerge. When the book appeared to be at a point of closure, I found myself wondering if I had missed something as I read. I still didn’t know whodunnit! But the last pages hold yet another surprise, the mystery is solved, and some real justice is done.

Characters are vital to this story. The reactions of people to Margot and to her mother Zara speak volumes. There is animal humor in the book as Jethro the polka-dotted pig plays an important role along with Puff the rabbit and a new character, Gator, a rather vicious little purse dog. Another character I enjoy is Charlotte who has a recently decided to leave the Amish way and is gradually transitioning to the Englisch way of life. This is a fun cozy with interesting characters and a good plot. I recommend the whole series.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Rating: 5/5

Category: Mystery

Notes: #7 in the Amish Candy Shop Mysteries, but could be read as a standalone

Publication:  August 23, 2022—Kensington

Memorable Lines:

Amateur sleuthing required a great deal of balance I realized. Enough meddling to get the answers but not so much as to obstruct justice or negatively impact the prosecution of a criminal.

I did notice that the shouts and cheers for the little bacon bundle were a tad more jubilant than they had been for me. I understood. I wasn’t an adorable little comfort pig. It was difficult to compete with such cuteness.

“…Zara was the kind of person who could have a terrible time just about anywhere. She complained about everything, even when it was done just as she liked it. She found fault with just about everything I did.”
Another excellent edition to a wonderful series! Full of twists and turns that leaves you wanting more and enjoying each moment until the end when the killer is caught!
This  is a new to me author and I have to say I am looking forward to reading more by this author!  I loved this book
Amanda Flower's 7th installment in the Amish Candy Shop Mystery series does not disappoint! This installment is set during Thanksgiving and the mad rush to get the candy shop ready for tourists kicks off the story with a bang. When Bailey's mother and her too young boy friend arrive to announce their nuptials everything changes when he dies right after dessert. The book is fast paced with many possible murderers and the ending will have you reaching for some holiday treats to celebrate another fabulous book.
It's always a pleasure to read Flower's books and this series gets better with each new installment. This is a delightful blend as usual with the mystery, the town, and her personal life. Peanut Butter Panic deals a bit more with her relationship with Aiden after both seemingly get precisely what they've wanted. She's got this TV show and the shop while he has (on the surface) a dream job. It's a great blend of drama into the mystery that gives some uncertainty in their relationship. So excited to see what happens next in the series!
Fairly quick read. I enjoy reading the Amish Candy shop mystery series. It’s like visiting old friends. I was also glad to see that Charlotte made a decision.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
this is another new cozy mystery series for me and i was super excited to jump in! the cover immediately caught my eye because of the adorable pig featured in the center … and i was not expecting jethro to play such a big role in the plot! he’s undeniably the town’s favorite pet and is such a fun addition to the character list! i really liked the action incorporated into the plot - in mysteries i’ve read, the victim is found after being murdered so i really liked this interesting twist in “peanut butter panic” and that got the action-ball rolling for me. i enjoyed the subplot between bailey and her grandmother. i loved their teamwork and it’s exciting that bailey is looking at expanding the family business. the plot takes some time to focus on bailey’s prospective plans but i wish it would’ve moved through a bit faster. she’s constantly hung up over the idea of telling her grandmother her ideas and it all felt repetitive until they finally have “the conversation” in the end. all in all, it’ll be interesting to see what the future has in store for swissman sweets.
Amish Candy Shop Mystery, Book #7
Amanda Flower
5 Stars

Synopsis:

Thanksgiving is Bailey King’s busiest holiday weekend. This year promises to be even more hectic, since Bailey’s candy shop, Swissmen Sweets, is providing desserts for Harvest, Ohio’s first village-wide Thanksgiving celebration. Yet, even with a guest list close to seven hundred people—Amish and English alike—the event’s organizer, Margot Rawlings, is unfazed . . . until she discovers her mother, former judge Zara Bevan, will be in attendance.

Zara’s reputation as a harsh critic is matched only by her infamy as a judge who has actively harmed the Amish community. So no one is prepared when Zara arrives with much younger boyfriend Blaze Smith and reveals their impending nuptials at dinner. That should have been the day’s biggest news, except shortly after the announcement, Blaze suffers an allergic reaction to something he’s eaten and dies on the spot.

Now, Bailey’s desserts are prime suspects, along with Margot and nearly everyone who attended the meal. With such a cornucopia of possibilities, Bailey must dig in and get to the bottom of this murder, before the killer goes up for seconds…  (Goodreads)

Review:

Thanksgiving is alive and well in Harvest, Ohio.  They are having a village-wide Thanksgiving celebration and everyone is welcome.  Unfortunately that includes Margot’s mother, Zara.  What is not alive and well is someone at the celebration.  When someone is killed Bailey and her friends will have to figure out who the killer is.

The author is very talented in her descriptive writing and these descriptions pulled me into the story from the very beginning and took me on a fun ride.  The writing style flows smoothly and the book is an easy read.  The mystery was well crafted and I think death by allergy is a diabolic one.  There were enough suspects to consider and clues to sift through.

I would highly recommend this book to everyone who enjoys a well written cozy mystery. Join Bailey and her friends in a special Thanksgiving celebration.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher, Kensington Books, and NetGalley, which I greatly appreciate.
I have read a couple of books in this series and enjoyed them. The characters are well developed, the town sounds like an interesting place to live, and the relationships keep things interesting. Jethro, the pig, is a hoot and has you laughing. The murder mystery is done well and you are left guessing until the end. There are lots of clues that lead you to a variety of suspects, but there is a delightful shocking reveal toward the end. I always enjoy my visit with the residents of Harvest, Ohio and look forward to the next adventure with Bailey.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Publishing for my advanced review copy. All opinions and thoughts are my own.

For more reviews, please visit my blog at: https://www.msladybugsbookreviews.com/. Over 1000 reviews posted!
I received a free epub copy from NetGalley.

I'm torn with this one.  The mystery was easy to guess just based off how the characters were written.  But I still hung on to the very last page because Amanda Flower's writing is just so entertaining.  The whole community that she has developed is intriguing and the mix of Amish and English people are enjoyable.  The real life struggles that Bailey and Aiden were having were so relatable, they were both trying to succeed in their own fields while still trying to stay connected.

This book gave us a lot of possibilities of what's to come in Harvest for everyone and  I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.
Peanut Butter Panic is the latest release in the Amish Candy Shop Mystery series by Amanda Flower.  Once again Bailey is tasked with finding out who the killer is, before the police arrest the wrong person.  But will Bailey figure out who the killer is before it is too late?  I encourage you to read Peanut Butter Panic to find out.
I enjoyed visiting with Bailey, Aiden, and the rest of the crew of the Amish Candy Shop Mystery series.  I liked that we got more of a background on Margot and what shaped her into the person that she is.  But I have to say that Peanut Butter Panic was not one of my favorites of the series.  I really missed Aiden being more of main character alongside Bailey and the two of them working together.  Even though I didn’t love this story as much as the others in the series, I would still recommend it to others who like a cozy mystery series, because I love the characters so much.
This year promises to be even more hectic for Bailey King in her candy shop Thanksgiving weekend. Swissmen Sweets is providing desserts for Harvest Ohio’s first village wide celebration. With over seven hundred people expected Margot Rawlings is unfazed until she learns her mother former judge Zara Bevan will be attending. Zara’s reputation as a harsh critic is matched only as a judge who has actively harmed the Amish community. No one is prepared when Zara arrives with a much younger boyfriend Blaze Smith and reveals their impending nuptials at dinner. Later Blaze suffers an allergic reaction to something he’s eaten and dies on the spot. Now Bailey’s desserts are prime suspects along with Margot and nearly everyone who attended the meal. A very enjoyable story with many twists to the story I would recommend this book to everyone.
Flower proves yet again why her Amish mysteries are some of the best in the genre!

I want to curl up and live inside this series! Harvest, Ohio is my home within the pages, the most delightful of escapes, and Peanut Butter Panic was a delightfully captivating new installment in the series! Reading along as Bailey navigated the trials of being a top suspect yet again was a joy. I can’t wait for more in the series!
This is the 7th book in the Amish Candy Shop Mystery series.  I really love the collection of fun characters, especially the animals in this series.  I didn’t think his mystery was quite as good as some of the previous books, and I am tired of the drawn out drama between the main protagonist Bailey and her love interest, but overall it was a great and enjoyable story.   Bailey is enjoying the town’s giant Thanksgiving feast when the event organizer, Margot’s mother’s much younger fiancé has an allergic reaction and dies.  Bailey is drawn into the investigation not only because of her natural curiosity, but the village’s expectations that she will be helping out.  The story was fun although at times it moved a little slowly.  This series overall is great, and if you like funny animal sidekicks in cozy mysteries than you’ll love this one.
Although the cover doesn't completely look like it -  this is a perfect Thanksgiving/Christmas cozy to cuddle up with prior to the holiday season.

The characters are lovely and its a very unique setting for cozy series with the Amish-Englisher dynamic.  Although I don't believe the complete dynamic is entirely accurate in it's portrayal it was a very enjoyable mystery and I will be picking up more of these books.

I want to learn the backstory on the side characters - and mainly I want to read more about the piggo - Jethro.
While I already have a buckeye recipe (there is one provided in the book); I am super excited to read the other books for recipes.  I have my fingers crossed for a chocolate covered coconuts bites recipe. xoxo

I received this ARC from NetGalley and the opinions expressed are my own.

PS I post to Goodreads; but it is not linking my link. Username is Steph-Lauren in Camillus NY
There were some very sweet moments.  Jethro did not appear as prominently in the story.  Looking forward to the next one.
Another town celebration brings together Amish and Englischers. A polka dot pig tends to steal the spotlight.
Bailey's beau's new job takes him further away for longer periods of time leaving her to question their relationship status.
An unexpected announcement followed by an uprupt emergency proves you can't always tell who to trust.
This book is exciting, dangerous, and full of family dynamics and drama.
It ept me wanting to read more and more of this series.
Great characters and wonderful world building.
This is the 7th book in the Amish Candy Shop mystery series.  Bailey King is getting ready for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday and the Black Friday weekend at Swissmen Sweets which she runs with her Amish Grandmother.  When Bailey goes the Village Square Thanksgiving dinner organizer is in a frantic mood as her mother Zara is arriving and Margot is not too thrilled.  She asks Bailey to assist with the work while she goes to pick up her mother.  Bailey soon learns that Zara is a former judge in the area who was not particularly fond of the Amish.  Margot and Zara’s relationship is strained at best but she is shocked when Zara arrives with a boyfriend Blaze who is younger than Margot.  Thanksgiving day arrives and everything appears to go off without a hitch until Zara announces her engagement to Blaze and Margot leaves the dinner.  Shortly after that Blaze begins to have trouble breathing and Bailey remembers earlier he indicated he was allergic to peanuts and the Amish church spread is marshmallow fluff and peanut butter.  Blaze ultimately dies and all eyes turn to Margot.  The murder does bring in Aiden from the BCI and Zara demands BCI takes over the case from the local sheriff.  Margot asks for Bailey’s help to solve the crime.  Zara also contacts Bailey to find the killer so Margot does not get blamed.  This story moved quickly and was a great read.  I love Jethro and how he pulls in the crowd on Black Friday for the shop.  Great ending and looking forward to the next installment.
Amanda Flower is such a great author and this was an enjoyable read. It was fun to step out of the city and into the countryside - especially with the characters written. I felt connected with the main character from page one and all of the additional characters added uniqueness to the storyline.