Cover Image: Night, Forgotten

Night, Forgotten

Life is going great for Julie and her husband Owen. They just bought their dream house, their careers are going great, and they've never been more in love. All that's missing is a child of their own but Julie has a plan. They are supposed to attend a party but Owen gets food poisoning so Julie goes alone. She wakes up half naked in her neighbor's bathtub and realizes she has been sexually assaulted. She keeps it a secret until she realizes she's pregnant from the assault. Julie can't function with their newborn child and can't be there for her husband and family. She finally finds out the truth of what happened to her that night and no one will ever be the same again.
The scenario of sexual assault aside, this was such a great book. Once I started it I couldn't put it down and the ending was definitely a shock. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the advanced copy.
🍷Book Review📚
Night, Forgotten
By: Meghan Joyce Tozer
⭐️⭐️⭐️/3.5 stars

Okaaaaaayyyyy. I truly did not see that ending coming. That was definitely a huge twist! I do feel all of a sudden too many things happened right at the very end. It maybe could have been spread out a little more but it was overall pretty good!

Julie Dolan and her husband, Owen, are living a happily married life in the Bershires. Everything seems to be going according to plans. The only thing they aren't agreeing on is the timing for when to start their family but it's nothing that won't work itself out.

One evening, Julie attends a holiday party next door at the Dolan's, alone, as Owen is down with food poisoning. Julie remembers the first couple of hours of the party but after that, total blackout. She comes to, in the Dolan bathtub, with Marcus Dolan watching over her. He can't tell her exactly what happened other than he found her out in their backyard in the early morning hours.

Julie just knows something terrible has happened. She's been sexually assaulted, but by who? Then she finds out she's pregnant. From the rape. How will Owen and her get through this without losing their marriage?

I can't even begin to imagine how horrible this situation would be. How would you ever be able to heal from this trauma and possibly a constant reminder in having the baby? Definitely a thought-provoking topic! Good read!

Published: November 1, 2022

Thank you to @netgalley and @wbywattpad for this gifted ARC in exchange for my honest review.
This was a pretty decent debut. Julie and Owen have a great life and are trying to have a baby. Julie is apparently assaulted at a neighborhood party with no memory of what happened.  She soon finds out that she is pregnant. Julie is unable to cope until she figures out what happened. This kept me turning pages and the twist was supreme. My only issue was character development. Most were cookie-cutter people, though Julie was well developed, and I really liked her.
Curious to see what else this author comes up with!
Thank you to #NetGalley, Meghan Joyce Tozer and Wattpad WEBTOON Book Group for this ARC. All opinions are my own.
This started off strong but quickly fizzled. The author does write well so I’ll give her that. I found some of the characters a bit shallow and hallow. The twist was surprising.
I could not finish this book.
It contains subjects that are triggers for me.
I believe it would be very well written but I just can't.

Thank you #NetGalley for this ARC.

3 stars
This fell flat for me, it was just an okay read, I had seen this posted a few times with other reviews and wanted to form my own opinions. It was pretty easy to figure out the plot early on, which is always a bummer . This book had potential to be a great read but needed more depth and needed to have been less predictable. 2.5 stars from me! I wanted to love it.
Julie and Owen are a young married couple living a wonderful life. They both have great jobs and are fixing up their dream home. One fateful night Julie attends their neighbor's party alone. Owen stays home after being overcome with food poisoning. At the end of the night Julie wakes up half naked on her neighbor's bathtub. She is scratched and bruised and doesn't know how to tell anyone she has been assaulted, not the police, her friends or Owen. Six weeks later she realizes she is pregnant with her assailant's baby. Julie becomes desperate to piece together clues to help her solve the mystery of what happened on that fateful night.

This is a tough review. The plot and twist were amazing. I devoured the book in one sitting. What fell short for me was the character development. Julie's character is well written, and you connect with her. The rest of the characters felt flat and one dimensional to me. Owen was inconsistent and all of the other characters were mediocre and could have been better.

Thanks to Net Galley and the publisher for an advance copy of this book.
TW: Sexual assault, rape, mention of abortion.⁣
⁣
Night, Forgotten left me speechless. It's a suspenseful, psychological thriller that I finished in one sitting.⁣
⁣
Julie and her husband Owen have the ideal life. They are invited to a party at their neighbor's house that ends up changing their lives forever. Owen ends up staying home because he feels ill and Julie attends by herself. She is having a fun time and then it fast forwards to the night. Her neighbor's husband finds her in the backyard half-naked. It is apparent that she has been sexually assaulted but it terrifies her even more that she has no recollection of what happened.⁣
⁣
She didn't plan on telling her husband so soon but found out she is pregnant. It brings about so much change and begs the question of whether they can go through with the pregnancy. ⁣
⁣
I'm so impressed by this author's writing. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I never saw the ending coming.
Thank you Netgalley, Wattpad books and Megan Joyce Tozer for the ARC of this book.

Wow wow wow. This was a super quick read in one sitting and it had such a crazy twist I was sitting there with my jaw dropping.

The plot was cleverly written and advice and it was such a gripping psychological thriller.
I have whiplash from the twist in this book! Wow!

This was the perfect page turning thriller. I was so invested in the story and felt like I was with walking with Julie through all her emotions and memories. Please look up trigger warnings for this one but if you love thrillers that unfolds slowly but leaves you speechless you will love this one!

Thank you Netgalley for this arc!
This is an intricate psychological thriller. I even read it two times in order  to get its full effect and was still shocked at the twist near the end.

Julie Porter and her husband Owen, bought their dream house in the Berkshires. They both have fun  careers that are on the move. It seems they have the whole world at their fingertips and their love and happiness abounds. The thing to perfect their scenario is a baby. Yes, they have a plan for  that. But somehow life gets in the way of plans.

One evening Owen falls ill with food poisoning after eating “the practice lasagna.”This leaves Julie  to attend a neighborhood holiday party alone. She walks over to the neighboring house and joins in the merriment with drinks. When she wakes up many hours later, she finds herself naked from her waist down in her neighbor’s bathtub. The story is Marcus found her passed out outside on the ground, where she had been assaulted and raped. He brought her inside to warm and clean up. Julie’s only memory of the evening is having a drink.
What is she going to tell her husband, Owen? Should she go to the police? She decides for now to keep it secret until she realizes that she’s pregnant with her assailant’s baby.

She decides to not abort the child and Thomas is born three months early.
Now, Julie  can’t seem function in the world with a newborn, and she’s unable to be there for her husband, her family, and her friends. Desperate to solve the mystery of what happened to her, Julie’s driven to more and more irrational behaviour, until the truth of the events of the fateful night are revealed.

The idyllic life the couple once had is forever changed.

I highly recommend this excellent book.
Night, Forgotten was a ride. Extremely twisty, heartbreaking and shocking at times, this book does a really good job of making you feel what Julia does. It’s not an easy read because of what Julia experienced but the ending made it all worth it. My heart was pounding and I had to go back and re-read parts that I was so surprised by. This is for you if you need a psychological thriller to scare the heck out of you.
This is her debut novel and if her future books are anything like this then I will definitely be picking them up to read.

I was instantly hooked from the get-go and breezed through this fairly quickly. This was definitely a sitting-on-the-edge-of-my-seat kind of book. I do have to admit the ending was shocking. I did not see that happening.

The book is told by our main character Julie. It’s told in before and after format which adds to the story. Julie first met Owen while she was waiting for her best friend to pick her up after she crashed her car one stormy night. The reason for her crash was she had just found out her parents were killed in a plane crash. Julie has never really had a loving bond or connection with her parents and she has struggled with that for many many years. She is worried that she will turn exactly like them.

Owen comes from a very catholic family where he goes to mass every Sunday with her mother. She is not too thrilled that Julie and Owen eloped. She has always wanted to plan a church wedding.

For Owen and Julie, are successful in their careers and found their beautiful home but for Owen, the only thing missing is a baby. Julie tries to put it off for fear she will be exactly like her mother. She has a plan and it’s on schedule until one night they are invited to a neighbors for a holiday party. Owen ends up getting very sick and opts to stay home so Julie goes ahead. That night forever changes things in Julie’s life.

Julie struggles with her life from that night of the holiday party. She is trying to put things together and remember what happened from the time she arrived to the time she woke up. She is unable to be there for Owen. She needs to figure out what exactly happened that night. Will Julie be able to uncover what exactly happened?

I could talk about this book for days but I have to stop because I don’t want to spoil it for you. If you are looking for an edge-of-your-seat psychological thriller then I have to suggest this. I don’t think you will be disappointed.
Three words can be used to describe this book "oh my goodness!" I was invested in the story from the start but the ending was spectacular. I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. This is a must read.
My brain has short circuited. I cannot form a coherent thought. When I say this book will forever live in my head, I’am SHOOK!! I could not put this book down and forgone all my adult responsibilities just to find out what was happening. This was the most addictive thriller I’ve picked up this year. The twist new my mind and I never saw it coming. Don’t sleep in this book!!

Julie and Owen are the perfect couple. They are happy, thriving and ready to start the journey of parenthood. Unfortunately life can throw a wrench in when you least expect it. Julie attends a friends party alone and the cost is devastating. Julie was having a great time until she wakes up half naked with no memory of what has taken place. She knows however just by the way her body feels that some thing isn’t right. This night sets into motion a whirlwind of damage and no one will ever be the same.

Hands down my favorite of 2022. My emotions were all over the place and I was here for it! My heart is broken but I wouldn’t change a thing. Be prepared to block out your entire life as you are sucked into this truly astonishing thriller.

Special thanks to NetGalley, Meghan Joyce Tozar and Wattpad Webtoon book group for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.
I had to read this twice because 🤯🤯😱...

This is a tricky one as I hated the writing, liked the premise and themes, and LOVED the ending — how do you rate a book like that?

There's been quite some buzz around this debut and I can see why. I loved its exploration of grief, trauma, mental illness, motherhood and its pressures, as well as the stigma that SA victims face.

Unfortunately, I did not click with the writing at all. It was repetitive, extremely disorganised and at times inconsistent. How many times do we need to know that the protagonist's parents died in a plane crash? Just search 'plane' or 'crash' and you can see how many times they come up.

The story is told in dual timelines of past and present, but that isn't always clear despite chapter headings. There was also more telling than showing, with lots of gaps in the story (though later you'll realise it's intentional... but it's so stilted). As with most domestic thrillers that have a small cast, the whodunit was underwhelming and predictable. The characters annoyed me and I felt detached from the protagonist most of the time.

However, the ending was brilliant and freaking chef's kiss. It totally blindsided me and I was like, wait what?! I actually teared up and then went to read the book right from the start again.

So tell me how do you rate a book like that....
This was my first book by this author. I would definitely read another by this author. This was a great story if you enjoy mystery and suspense. It definitely kept me on the edge the whole book.
This is an amazing read that grips you right from the start. It is dramatic story and told with great sympathy for both Owen and Julie. Rape is a difficult subject to cover in a thriller but it is done with sympathy and respect for the subject.
We meet Owen and his wife Julie and their friends and neighbours. There is a party held by their nearest neighbours and something goes wrong for Julie there. She has to tell her husband what has happenedat the party right away.
She has been raped whilst she was drugged but things get worse when she becomes pregnant. It has to be the rapist’s baby. Owen is supportive husband despite what has happened. Julie tries to investigate herself and tells the police. When the baby is born Owen bonds with the little boy. Further on in the story you begin to think that the timelines are confusing. There is a shock for the reader at the end of the story.
I was interested in the book after reading the synopsis.
The first part of the book was decent, however toward the latter half it got weird and the story line was muddled and confusing.
Thst last part of the book ruined the story for me.
It was a miss for me.
I've never heard of this author and truthfully as I was reading it though ho hum..not much happening really other than the beginning. ...then I got to the end..and it kinda blew my mind as it was not what I was thinking at all!!!
Great writing style that is easy to read and make you want to read it.
Glad I never gave up on this one.
Would definitely check out more from this author.

Thanks to the author, the publisher and NetGalley for an early release of this book.