Cover Image: The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony

The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony

Thank you Michelle McLean, Entangled: Amara, and Netgalley for the gifted e-book.

Adam Brady, a gunslinger in retirement, was on the run when he stumbled upon the town of Desolation. After arriving he attends a town wedding and accidently marries Nora Schumacher. Adam has only two rules for himself and the first is to never get married. Unfortunately for Adam, in order to live in Desperation one has to either be married or have a job. So now Adam is on a mission to get himself a job to become unhitched.

With 30 days to find a job Adam isn't having the best of luck. He cannot keep any job in town because an unforseen unfortunate event always ends up getting him fired. As the days pass,  Adam is beginning to fall for Nora, but if he stays he puts her life in danger. If he leaves he won't be happy.

Michelle McLean takes us back to a time of cowboys, gunfights, and the wild west. This book is the perfect blend of historical fiction, old-timey westerns and romantic comedy. Nora and Adam make the perfect couple because they are both strong-willed, stubborn, have witty banter, and their chemistry is on fire. The secondary characters in this story are just amazing. They bring life to the small town of Desolation, giving it the feel of a smalltown romance. Learning some of the backstory of these secondary characters, I hope that there are subsequent novels that delve more into their stories.

I have to admit I've never read a historical rom-com before and it was great! Adam and the unfortunate situations he found himself in had me laughing. This is the second book in this series and even though I didn't read the first I did not have any problems following this storyline. Though I am going to go back and read the first book because I loved the second so much!
The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony by Michelle McLean was a fun romantic comedy.

Adam seems to make a lot of bad decisions. He finds himself in Desolation; a town known for accepting criminals that are wanting to turn their life around.
Nora was an unusual character. She wore pants when working and had to take care of her drunk of a dad.
There were so many fun scenes. From when they accidentally get married and to when she kept calling him by the wrong name. And how the town people were supporting her by making his jobs difficult. And how he kept getting fired.

I hope we eventually learn the back stories for Doc and Preacher.

Sexual content - 3 several scenes with details
Violence - 2 someone is kidnapped and someone is shot
language 2 D&mn is used 45 times
drinking 1 - some casual drinking in the bar

I received this book from Netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review.
You can see my full review at More Than a Review dot com where I rate the level of sex, violence, language and drug/alcohol use in books.
At the ripe old age of twenty-eight, desperate-to-retire gunslinger Adam Brady has exactly two rules. And one of them is never, ever get married. So he goes to Desolation, the only town where notorious men like him can find respite, but it comes with string attached. The town has a new rule: gunslingers welcome—if they get a job or marry. Without realizing it, Adam stumbles into a big town wedding and accidentally marries Nora Schumacher, a sassy-mouthed mountain of a woman with legs as long as his wanted poster. So what’s a gunslinger to do but get himself unhitched and find a job. Any job. Except Adam keeps getting fired, one odd circumstance after another. And he’s running out of options.
The second book in the series & a fun, entertaining read. I loved both Adam & Nora who constantly butted heads, boy were they stubborn, their road to a HEA often had me laughing out loud & I devoured this captivating read in a couple of sittings. I also really enjoyed the help & interference from secondary characters. I hope there are more books in the series
My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read
This is a thoroughly enjoyable, laugh out loud, delightful romp of a book.  I never stopped smiling at the shenanigans and conversational quips.  On the day the gunslinger shows up to town he accidentally marries the first woman he speaks to but, because neither of them sign the proffered marriage license, the legal validity of the marriage remains an open question.  The gunslinger does not wish to wed, and his ‘wife’ wants a momentary marriage so she can take title to her home without being bound to a husband.  It takes an entire town, waffling between roadblocks and enabling, to help the combative couple to find an amicable solution.  Recommend.
I really liked this one! The whole time I had Wild Wild West by Adele running through my mind, it just gave off those vibes. The concept was brilliant, and so so fun!

My favorite thing about this was definitely the characters. I can't even tell you why I liked them so much, I just did. Adam was adorable, and the way he dealt with all of the obstacles was so endearing. I mean, seriously. Half the town fires him, and he still wasn't giving up. Nora was sweet too, they were so well matched. Their banter was top notch, and I almost wish we would've had more of them as a couple.

After not reading historical romance for a while, I'm super happy I picked this one to start again. It was super cute, and one I'm sure to reread!

Thanks to Netgalley for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review!
This was a fun read and the break I needed.  Really enjoyed the romance between Nora and Adam. Great secondary characters.  It’s book 2 in a series but can completely standalone.
It was ok. Didn’t really find much spark between Adam and Nora. Town characters were fun. Had amusing moments in the plot. Seemed contrived at times. Just an ok read.
This is one of those novels where the town plays a huge role. Desolation is filled with outlaws and other colorful characters, and a true sense of community.

Adam, on the run from Marshal Spurlock (a nasty "law" man), stumbles into the town by accident, then, also by accident, happens to get married to Nora, who is only in town to pick up her drunk father. The premise is ridiculous yet I found it easy to shrug it off and just go for it.

The marriage can save Nora, removing the possibility of her father selling off her property (which she can't claim until she's married or 30), and Adam is perfect, since he doesn't want to be married. Once he signs the license, she can run him out of town and continue with her life.

Marriage could save Adam, as he needs to have either a job or a marriage or he has to leave in 30 days. But he's got someone ruthless after him and he doesn't want to endanger anyone, AND he screws up everything.

And he really does. He loses job after job in spectacular fashions. All the while, the chemistry between Nora and Adam grow, as does their affection for each other.

This was a fun read with a colorful town, stubborn protagonists, an evil villain, and a messed up father dealing with grief in the worst way possible. Adam really steps up for Nora in the most heart-melting ways.

You also have to love a novel with an errant goat in it.
A very fun romantic comedy. A gunslinger stumbled into town and was accidentally part of a group wedding ceremony. She wanted an official marriage but he refused to sign the marriage license that would make it official.  The romance sparks flew between then but she wouldn’t tell him the real reason she wanted the marriage and he finally confessed the real reason that he did not.
Thank you NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Michelle McLean, NetGalley, and Entangled Publishing for the ARC.

Adam Brody is a "retired" gunslinger who happens to stumble upon the town of Desolation by accident. In order for him to stay in Desolation, he needs to abide the rules: either get married or find a job. Adam finds himself married to Nora Schumacher by accident (another one, he clearly gets into accidents a lot). He can either stay married or find a way out of this unwanted marriage...

The Gunslinger's Guide to Avoiding Matrimony is a funny historical romance. I didn't realize it was book 2 in the Gunslinger's series, but it definitely can be read as a standalone. While I was drawn in by the chemistry and banter between Adam and Nora, I found the story to be underwhelming. Nora and Adam bickered a lot, and all the sudden the were in love. The pacing of the story could be improved, but what salvaged this book was the interesting community and side characters. I wanted to know more about them! This was the first book I've read from Michelle, and will probably check out the first book of the series.
This is the first time for me with this author and with NetGalley. Since it was the first time that I've read this author, I really didn't know what to expect. Needlessly to say, I was thoroughly entertained, from the very first page till the last. Honestly, I wish I could give it more than 5 stars. If ya like historical tales filled with laughter, friendship and love, I highly recommend this one!!!
I read the first book in this standalone series and was so excited when I saw that there would be more books in this world. The Gunslinger's Guide to Avoiding Matrimony did not disappoint. A true rom com, this one had me laughing out loud at some points. Super light-hearted and goofy, this was a super fun read.

Nora and Adam were delightful main characters. Their dynamic was wonderful. I loved how stubborn they both were and how this put them at odds with each other but also drew them together.

I also love the group of side characters in this series, and was so glad we got to revisit Mercy and Gray throughout this book.

I really hope there are more books coming in this series
The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony by Michelle McLean is book two in her Gunslinger standalone book series.

Notorious gunslinger, Adam Brady, has rules, but the first and most important is: avoid matrimony at all costs. Unfortunately, the town he’s fled to has rules, too: 30 days to find a job or get married. Will Adam’s fortunes change, or will he have to abandon his first rule?

Nora Schumacher is a statuesque woman with an independent spirit. For reasons known only to herself, she doesn’t need or want a husband, which makes an entanglement with Adam a “no” for her.

The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony is my first read by this author, and I truly enjoyed it. The plot is interesting and held my attention. The narrative is well-written and witty. The dialogue is equally as humorous. I laughed out loud. This novel is perfect for fans of romantic comedy. I rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

My thanks to Entangled Publishing LLC, Entangled Amara, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read an advance copy of this book. However, the opinions expressed in this review are 100% mine and mine alone.
Adam Brady is a gunslinger who wants a new life. On the run, he stumbles into a hidden town called, Desperation, and accidentally finds himself married to Nora Schumacker, a sassy pants wearing womanv who needs to be married to keep her property but doesn't want a husband. This delightful romantic comedy will keep you entertained.
I didn't realize this is part of a stand-alone series--and I can't wait to read more.  The wild west is the setting and the characters fit the mold of an old western.  That's what makes the book fun!  The witty banter and the stubborn, independent streak in Nora and Adam lead to a satisfying romance.  The setting is vividly described--creating a mental map of the key places.  And the community's loyalty and camaraderie left me wanting more of these characters and their backstories.  A very fun summer read!

From the publisher:
At the ripe old age of twenty-eight, desperate-to-retire gunslinger Adam Brady has exactly two rules. And one of them is never, ever get married. So he’ll be danged when his dreams of permanently avoiding the bounty hunter on his tail in Desolation, the only town where notorious men like him can find respite, comes with one helluva string attached. The town has a new rule: gunslingers welcome—if they get a job…or marry.

Desolation was supposed to be his safe haven. Except, he’s not only running from his past but from the irresistible woman he married. And worse, he’s finding that he rather likes the enticing, if damnably independent, wife of his. But some men just aren’t the marrying kind. Only, if he leaves, his own life won’t be worth living. If he stays, he puts the lives of his newfound family and the woman he loves on the line. So much for Desolation being the answer to all his problems.

Thank you NetGalley and Entangled: Amara for allowing me to rate and review this e-ARC title.
I enjoyed the first Gunslinger novel, so I was excited to see there was a second one. I like that they are stand alone novels but if you read the first one, you get a treat into seeing how things are going in Desolation. Adam is a gunslinger that has arrived in Desolation by accident while on the run from a lawman. He follows the crowd in town & ends up next to Nora. Sparks fly right from the beginning & while they're arguing they don't realize they are getting married during a mass marriage ceremony. Adam wants nothing to do with marriage for many reasons. Nora isn't sure what to do with the situation herself. Watching their story unfold is funny & touching with some heartbreak along the way. This book gives a glimpse into what it might have been like during this time period for women who had no rights & gunslingers that might want to do something else. Highly recommend reading this book.

Thanks to NetGalley & the publisher for advanced copy in exchange for my honest review
Fun and entertaining accidentally married romance. Our hero Adam is just looking for a quiet place to retire from gunslinging and accidentally finds himself wed in a mass wedding in the center of town. Nora didn't mean to catch this particular husband, but needs it to be legal so that she can take ownership of her home and keep it out of her drunk father's hands. While Adam tries to avoid Nora at all costs, she's trying to make him her on-paper husband. Of course, they can't stay away from each other long!

If you’re looking for an easy-going, feel good romance, look no further. I recommend The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony by Michelle McLean for a light hearted romantic comedy.
I like a good engaging story and this is a good story.
Good characters,humor,romance.
Adam rides in to Desolation in the middle of a group wedding where he meets Nora they exchange a few words and end up being married to each other.
Great fun story and characters.
Voluntarily reviewd.
The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony by Michelle McLean
This is the second book about the town of  Desolation - but it can be easily read as a stand alone.  This is Adam Brady (wants to be a retired gunslinger) and Nora Schumacher's story.  The rules of the town are: gunslingers welcome—if they get a job…or marry. This book is full of laughs, a few tears, angst, danger, wonderful friends, lots of steam and a very HEA.
Reasons I enjoyed this book:
Action-packed Happily Ever After Steamy Page-turner Easy-to-read Unpredictable Funny Romantic Wonderful characters Entertaining.
Received this ARC from NetGalley.