Cover Image: When Stars Come Out

When Stars Come Out

Sadly this book just didn’t grab as much as I hoped it would. I put it down and picked it up multiple times but I just couldn’t connect with it. Super bummed.
I didn't realize going into this book that it was actually published years ago. knowing that, it seems obvious that this is her early work. in general YA isn't always my favorite, and that was the case here. immature characters with predictable plot lines. not for me.
Anora Silby can see the dead and turn spirits into gold coins, two things she would prefer to keep secret as she tries to lead a normal life at her new school. When I started reading I couldn't put it down.Scarlett St. Clair is magnifysent and amazing writer.I cannot wait to read more of there books.Keep up the great work.You should definitely read this books.Can't wait for the next book
I am in love with this story. Scarlett St Clair has a fun way of writing that grips you and makes you read and read and read straight through till the end.

This story is a griping fantasy and love story mixed into one. Anora and Shy are such interesting counterparts. Shy is top tier high school popular boy, while Anora is the shy and awkward girl just trying to make it through. They go so perfect together.

The mythology of this world is also so unique. The Valryn specifies is a unique bird/ human hybrid shifter and it was fun to figure out the myths.

I did have a little bit of an issue with this book because I couldn’t figure out some of the stories that the characters were invested in and the conversations they were having. It was fun to figure out the myths of their world with Anora, but also kind of frustrating to not know what was going on.

This story was still such a fun world that keeps you wanting more. Knowing that it is an Orpheus and Eurydice retelling is heartbreaking, but I keep wanting more.
I absolutely loved this book. I didn’t read the synopsis so I had no idea what to expect going in. Scarlett St.Clair did not leave me disappointed. I am currently looking for the next book in this story line. I fell instantly for the main characters and their storyline. It is one of my top reads so far for the year. Way to go!!
A reimagining of Orpheus & Eurydice that comes with an interesting magic system! This was a fun and quick read that was mostly just in one sitting. I do however feel like in would have made more sense if the characters were older. However, I did enjoy the story!
I'm actually very conflicted on this because I adore the first half but the second half...not so much. I'll start with the good though:

first, I love how the characters are introduced and how the story is set up along with its mysteries. When I started this book, I'd been craving something that deviates from the norm of fantasies because I was kind of sick of the exact same plots repeatedly, so Anora with her ability to see the dead and everything else surrounding her was a breath of fresh air.

I mean I usually have a hard time getting into books, I know very well that for the first, say, ten chapters I need to push through and then I'll get the hang of it but no this book dragged me instantly. A very rare, but nice thing.

I liked how the characters came into the picture, it felt natural (except for Shy but I'll come back to this later actually). I liked even more how the author kind of makes it clear with a particular scene early on in the book that they're okay with pushing limits <spoiler> (at least that's what I thought from the first half) </spoiler>

The pacing felt good, the plotline felt smooth, I was understanding everything in real time without anything blowing up at me and I was invested.

Thennn the halfway point came and some cracks started appearing. Prior to that, I was sure this book would be a four or five-star from my side. The plot, while still there, felt convulated, the pacing strange. Certain things happened earlier than I would have wanted them, and certain scenes <spoiler> like the kissing scene </spoiler>  were more telling than they were showing, and it just added to how I already didn't vibe with the romance.

The first half was good, but the second half was kind of a mess. It needed to flow out more to be honest, there were more words and chapters needed to flesh it out, in my opinion.

So for the next part, I have to go into spoiler territory but I do have certain nitpicks
<spoiler> as much as I like a good soulmate story, the only reason Shy seemed to care at all about Anora was the bond, and there wasn't nearly enough development there. We're mostly just led to believe he has a connection so he's instantly in love or something. Part of the reason why I liked Anora's interactions with Thane so much was because it gives both characters the time to be fleshed out while moving the plot forward (btw Thane betraying Anora is very predictable although not a criticism of the writing, just something I'd point out).

In my opinion, something similar should have been done with Shy to show us why we should root for him, and why we should root for him and Anora. There had to be more.

And my point with that kind of became obvious during the kiss scene. If you're going to let a couple burn together for some time without admitting their feelings, I imagine it has to be a little more than "I kissed her twice" when they finally get together. You need more than that, and you need more development towards the kiss.

Then with the characters, I feel like, a good basic of them was established but there was room for more, and I want to see that more, especially with regard to character development and motivation.

Staying on the character topic I do think Anora's "they will bow" line at the end seemed very suddenly out of character. Anora hasn't been very assertive throughout the entire book and then that scene comes along and suddenly she just is? It's a little confusing.

I didn't like the ending much either. As I already said the second half felt rushed. There should have been more I think, more clues, more problems, more development. </spoiler>
Anora moves to a new town because of something that happened at her old school.
Her mom thinks she is making up that she can see dead people.
But this school isnt as it seems.
This is supposed to be another Greek retelling but I don't see it.
I didn't think that I was going to really enjoy this one.   After trying her other books and loving book one of King of Battle and Blood and then hating book two.  I wasn't holding out much hope for this one.  But man was it good!! I was drawn in and really wanting to know what happens.  I can not wait for book two.  The dual POV worked well in this story although I kind of wonder how the story would have gone if we would have been left in the dark.  But all in all I really loved it.
Scarlett St. Clare has done it again. I was immediately pulled into the story and wanted to keep reading. This was one of those books that was hard for me to put down. I hope she writes more in this universe!
When I hear folklore retelling I'm always on board so this was a no brainer for me, add in that it's Scarlett St Clair and I could not be more on board.

This story centres around Anora Silby, a girl who can see the dead and turn spirits into gold coins, two things she would prefer to keep secret. Problem is someone has stolen her coin and she needs to find out who before more lives are lost. This is a quick YA fantasy read and if you're a fan of Scarlett St Clair's adult works, I still think this is a great choice to check out, it's fast paced, fun, and has a great mystery at its centre that will keep you engrossed.
I’ve previously read St. Clair’s work, so I was excited to read something else from her. However, I believe this is a case of it’s not the book it’s me. I was expecting more romance like her previous books and this one did have some, but it wasn’t what I was expecting. Plot wise, this was dark and gave off a dark academia vibe. There were times where I felt as if I needed a bit more clarification on certain parts of the past and Anora’s gifts.

Like I said before, it was a case of “it’s me and not the book”.
When Stars Come Out is a fantastic dark fantasy young adult novel involving ghosts, a new high school, and a mysterious organization that governs the dead. I am a sucker for secretive organizations, so Ms. St. Clair immediately snagged my interest with this one. Add a spooky town and a girl who can see dead people, and I was a goner. While it might not be as spicy as her adult novels, When Stars Come Out delivers in every way. Anora is a great heroine, emotionally fragile but strong in many other ways. I appreciate her fractious relationship with her mother and the desire to improve it, especially as a mother of a teenage daughter. The Gothic tone is also appealing, while the story's pacing is intense. This is yet another story for which I am excited about the sequel!
I was pleasantly surprised! I think it was one of my favorites by Scarlett. It was exactly what I needed at the moment. Was it original? No. But what is. However, it was fun and it kept my attention the whole time.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this story!

An interesting story - a reimagining of the legend of Orpheus and Eurydice with a rather intriguing world and powers

If you want to plunge into the golden era of young adult like in the 2010s, this book is for you.

I liked the story, light, small, plunged me into those times when I was still a very beginner reader.

It was very nice to remember these feelings, and of course I look forward to continuing this story!
I can always count on a book by Scarlett St. Clair to catch my attention, and When Stars Come Out is no exception. A striking YA fantasy about Anora Silby, a teenager who can see the dead and turn them into gold coins, whom is starting over at a new school hoping her past doesn't come back to haunt her. Or those men who were chasing her. She'd rather avoid them too. However, at her new school, things prove to be just as challenging when she turns the spirit of the school's resident dead girl, Vera, into a coin on her first day. So much for laying low. Events unravel from there and Anora finds herself caught up in a fascinating web not of her own making. I found this novel compelling and it had me hooked till the very end. I give it 4 of 5 stars.
I have heard of Scarlett St. Clair, especially on BookTok, these past few months and was excited at the opporunity to review her work. However, while the Hades x Persephone series has garnered much attention, I didn't know much about "When Stars Come Out." I did think her writing was relatively enjoyable and the characters were well drawn out, but didn't think it necessarily stood out. Overall, it was an entertaining read and I could definitely see myself picking up the next book in the series.
i thought this was interesting! i've read a touch of darkness and king of battle and blood from scarlett,  and i loved kbb and disliked atod so i wasn't sure how much i'd enjoy this one. i'm happy to say that i quite enjoyed it for the most part! it doesn't really give me greek mythology retelling, but rather an entertaining spooky adventure. it was a bit slow to begin with and took me a while to get into, but when things picked up i started to enjoy it more and more.

oddly enough, even though this is a YA story of hers, the characters here seemed a bit more mature and developed in comparison to those in her hades x persephone series, which i enjoyed quite a bit! i'm interested to see what happens next in the series for this one.
Anora can see the dead. But doesn't quite know what that means for her. After moving to a new school, she discovers she's not the only one.

I've read Scarlett St Clair's other greek retellings, and love them, and this was no exception. I don't know the story of Orpheus and Eurydice so this was all new to me. I really enjoyed this book and can't wait for the sequel to come out to see what happens.
I was very curious about this title as I'd been making my way through the author's Hades and Persephone retellings and was intrigued to see what a YA offering from them might be like. Particularly as I believe this is a retelling of Orpheus and Eurydice, which you don't often see!

This was something nostalgic about this book for me, like it really put me in mind of some of the older urban fantasy/YA book series that I used to love when I was a teen like Fallen and the Starcrossed series! Or even my beloved JLA YA series! It just gave me such vibes that kind of reminded me of that type of book which is something I really liked about it!

It was also intriguing given the mystery surrounding why Anora had to move and Anora's power in general to be honest. It was also easy enough to read and initially, there was quite a bit to grab your attention from the general premise put forward to Anora and the ghosts. Then we find out all about the Order and the Valryn and I had super high hopes for this.

Unfortunately, I found my attention wandering to the extent I kind of wanted to DNF this but I pushed on because I still had some shreds of curiosity left. Perhaps it was my general mood as it's been a bit of a rough time lately, but I just found myself struggling to focus on the book. I wasn't all that interested in a lot of the characters, I thought the relationships between some of them could have been fleshed out more and made less superficial, and I wasn't particularly feeling the romance if I'm honest. I felt like things were dragged out a bit too much, though they did pick up again towards the end but ultimately this book ended up being a bit eh for me.