Cover Image: The Housekeeper

The Housekeeper

When Jodi’s mothers Parkinsons progresses to the point that her elderly father Vic can’t take care of her, Jodi insists on hiring a live in housekeeper. Elyse is perfect and seems to know exactly what the family needs. Help with the kids, a perfectly timed chocolate chip cookie, a quick rebuttal to Vic’s insults, so when red flags start presenting themselves, Jodi is quick to dismiss them.
When she can no longer turn a blind eye to some unsettling interactions, Jodi finds herself on the losing side of a family war and at risk of losing everything.
Who is this woman she invited into her family’s life.

I read this book in one sitting.
While I knew what was coming, I couldn’t stop reading.
You know Elyse is bad news, but what is she doing, what is she going to do next? I couldn’t stop reading.

This book is full of unlikeable characters, I was constantly feeling sorry for Jodi who is definitely on the receiving end of everyone’s bad attitude.

A very fast and twisted read with a show stopping ending.
“But I’m getting ahead of myself. The dead body comes later.

And if there’s any mystery as to what transpired, it’s how I let it happen
In the end, I have only myself to blame.

I’m the one who let her in.”

Thank you, Netgalley, for the ARC!

Out of all my outstanding ARCs, I was in the mood for a thriller/mystery. I love how this took place in Canada (Canadian points there) and that the chapters were short. This was a very interesting story with a well-set foundation of characters and twisted family dynamic. I kinda expected more with the titular Housekeeper at the start, but it did pick up. Some aspects were predictable, but I couldn’t wait to see what would happen with Jodi and Elyse. Even then, some parts did surprise me and I couldn’t put it down.

I also loved how meta it was at the end.
“And what is it they say about things that seem too good to be true?”
“There had to be a catch, I remember thinking. Nobody was that perfect.”
“In the end, I have only myself to blame. I’m the one who let her in.”

A fantastic read! Not only is Fielding a goddess of domestic suspense, but her writing style always leaves me feeling like I’ve had a coffee date with a good friend, rather than feeling like I’ve ‘just’ finished a good book.

This time, Fielding has captured the essence of family dynamics and a situation most of us will face at one time - the decision to find our elderly parents in-home care.

The characters - I loved them ALL! I could see a little bit of people I knew in each one of her characters. I giggled out loud at how expertly they were captured - from the ‘cute as a cupcake’ kids, to Harrison ‘tick tock’ Bishop the author husband, to Tracy ‘I only drink bottled water from the fridge’ the fashionista older sister, right to the aging parents! Fielding must do a ton of people watching! I won’t forget these characters any time soon.

The plot - ok, predictable. BUT I didn’t read it for the plot. I loved it because of how Fielding captured humanity and how she shared it with readers. I have a friend who experienced the same situation, so I could imagine Jodi Bishop’s feelings of exasperation. I appreciated the insight into caring for someone who suffers a debilitating disease, into running a household with little help while trying to balance a successful career, and into making difficult decisions with little input. Fielding enables us to become easily engrossed in her books because she choses situations and characters with whom we feel a level of familiarity.

223 Scarth Road won’t know what hit it when Elyse Woodley, 62, comes to live in an assist Mr/s Audrey and Vic Dundas!

A fantastic read that will have you laughing out loud, stifling giggles and screaming ‘No way!’ - a worthy read to top your summer reading list.

I was gifted this advance copy by Penguin Random House Canada, Doubleday Canada and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.
When Jodi hires a housekeeper for her aging parents she never suspects the twisted web she would find herself in.  Jodi finds herself fighting to keep her marriage together while trying to uncover the secrets going on in her parents home before it’s too late.

Highly recommended.  Another great read from Joy Fielding

* I received an advanced reader’s copy of this book from NetGalley and Penguin Random House Canada, Doubleday Canada in exchange for my honest review.
I read this in one night, such an addicting novel!

Even though the novel is predictable, I was still hooked on what was going to happen with the characters. I wasn't a fan of any of the characters, they were all so unlikeable, but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the story.

I also loved that the novel was set in Toronto! I loved reading about the different neighbourhoods and the real estate prices were definitely accurate!

Thank you to Netgallery and Penguin Random House Canada, Doubleday Canada for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Quick easy read in kne sitting. Love domestic thrillers snd this one fit the bill. Easy short chapters with the twisty end. Great book.

Thanks to the author, the publisher and NetGalley for an early release of this book.
3.5 stars. Exhausted from trying to juggle her family, personal life and her aging parents, Jodi Bishop decides to hire a housekeeper to aide in the care of her mother who has Parkinson’s disease. In the beginning everything is great - perfect even.  At some point everything changes.. when exactly? She can’t pinpoint the exact moment. Jewellery starts going missing, her mother’s health is rapidly deteriorating, and now she’s being shut out. Who exactly is this woman that she hired?

“In the end, I only have myself to blame. I’m the one who let her in.”

This was a fast paced, easy to read domestic thriller. With its short chapters I was able to devour this in a day. I hated probably every single character in this book and how horrible they were to Jodi. It had a decent amount of twists and not always ones I saw coming. Plus, I always have a soft spot for books set in my own province.

Thank you to Net Gallery and Penguin Random House Canada for this eARC!
This is the first book that I have read by Joy Fielding and I absolutely loved it. The writing had me hooked from beginning to end.

When Jodi's 80 year old father can no longer manage to care for his wife on his own. The search begins for a  live-in housekeeper to take care of them both. When Elyse, a young attractive women who is seemingly perfect on paper with glowing references for the position is hired. What could go wrong?

Such a page turning domestic thriller with unthinkable family drama. After reading this you will be thinking twice before hiring an attractive stranger to be in your home.
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were relatable and I quickly connected with Jodi who is forever trying to balance work, home and extended family. While the story was somewhat predictable, it was a perfect summer read with some twisted and turns that made the reader smile or groan.

Recommend this book to those who want a quick read about the complications of family life.
This was a very fast read and very entertaining. I loved twist near the end. This is a first book by Joy Fielding for me.  If you like a quick thriller, this is a good book for you.
Thank you for the advanced copy for an honest review

This about a woman named Jodi who is hiring a housekeeper in order to help her as she is running two households; hers and her parents.

In comes Elyse, with good references and too perfect to be true. She infiltrates herself I to the family and making herself the ideal caretaker/housekeeper.

The ending was not what I had expected

This was such a good read, couldn’t but it down, finished it in a day
Oh this book had me turning the pages as fast as I could.  When you are in the situation of finding someone to help with aging parents (that may or may not have special needs), vigilance in adding a helper to the mix is of utmost importance.  While this book is a work of fiction, I could see this happening in our world.  Checking and rechecking someone's references could save you a lot of heartache.   This generation really needs to read this book and take some lessons from all the possibilities.  I would recommend this book to everyone and really enjoyed  all the twists and turns.  Whether you come from an "entitled" background or not, there are lessons here for everyone.
This story follows our main character Jody who has decided it is time to hire a housekeeper to help her elderly father to care for their mother who is suffering from the late stages of Parkinson's Disease. From there our story takes off. This story started out really great. The writing was easy to get into, the chapters were super short, which is always a bonus for me and I really enjoyed most of the characters, Traci was hilarious and a straight shooter although quite spoiled. Jody was also interesting to read from but it started to get so frustrating and repetitive with how her family and her husband was treating her. These people just continually walk all over her and disrespect her at every turn and it was so frustrating for her not to stand up for herself. Overall this book was alright, there wasn't much action or twists and turns and the the few it did have were easy to spot a mile away. The ending was also a bit quick to wrap up and would have been more interesting if the reader was along for the ride of the conclusion instead of just seeing the aftermath. overall this book was ok.
This was an unexpectedly fast and enjoyable read. I’ve never read anything by Fielding before and while the plot was somewhat unimaginative and not fresh, the twists were subtle and so well-timed, and the Toronto setting was a delightful surprise. I look forward to sampling more from this authors backlist and am hopeful for more thrills and plot pivots.
When Jodi's parents need live-in help, it's up to her to find the perfect person. She thinks she hit the jackpot when Elyse shows up. Until she realizes Elyse is no simple housekeeper...

This was a decent psychological thriller, with many twists and turns. Some unexpected, others, not so much. I really enjoyed how fleshed out the characters were. I really disliked how Jodi seemed to surround herself with male chauvinists. Her husband and her father are both horrible human beings and I had a hard time getting over that.
Personally, I love a domestic suspense/drama and this one had so many elements that kept me turning pages trying to find out what happened in the end!

This intriguing story about Jodi, who hires Elyse to help take care of her elderly parents. But Elyse’s arrival brings on many suspicious occurrences…

I thought the characters in this story were developed well, each one of them are mysterious and intriguing. The plot was interesting, however, a little predictable - there were many twists throughout that kept me wanting to continue reading.

Overall, this was a good read. I would recommend to anyone who likes domestic suspense & thrillers!
Omg! Another great book from joy fielding! She knows just how to draw a reader in from the first page, I love her books so much!
4*s!

In the end, I have only myself to blame. I’m the one who let her in.

Jodi believes she is doing the right thing... unfortunately it seems she has put her trust in the wrong person, is she the only one who sees it, or is she just being paranoid?

Well written with enough twists and turns to keep you interested!
Thank you net galley for giving me this opportunity to read this book. This is my first book by Joy Fielding that I have read and was not disappointed.
This revolves around a family - two elderly parents two forty-something daughters.
Jodi is a successful real estate agent, her sister who is older does nothing. Their parents are hitting eighty and their mom has Parkinson's. The girls' father has been looking after their mother for the past ten years.
Jodi has been checking up on her parents to make sure that there are no problems. Jodi is finding it increasingly hard to balance work, her kids and husband.
Jodi soon finds a housekeeper who seems like a dream.
Is the person who is hired actually who they say they are?
Joy Fielding's The Housekeeper was an amazing read with a twisting storyline that kept me wanting to find out more. The book follows the lives of Jodi Bishop and her family as they navigate their way through Jodi's mom's illness.

Joy Fielding is expertly able to develop life-like characters that make you want to follow their story and that characterization helps the development of the overall story.

See if you can use the clues to unravel the mystery!