Cover Image: The Housekeeper

The Housekeeper

I have to say I really wasn’t expecting what I got with this title but I was pleasantly surprised!
Can’t wait to see what others thought of the twist
A topical book  which the sandwich generation finds herself in.  Caught between aging parents, needy spouses, demanding children, one's own ambitions and pressing jobs,  women find themselves at loggerheads with spouses, siblings, parents, children and jobs.  Women give support and encouragement, and receive little of it in return.  This book brings out the very worst of all situations, even when the strong female finds care for her ill mother.  The worst case scenarios prevail:  mother dies suspiciously, father marries the housekeeper and becomes distant from his children, his children argue, the women and husband have affairs....can it get any worse?  This book stands out for me as it shows once again, that strong women have a weakness, and that is being strong.  Yet that weakness is obviously a strength, and shows that caring, intuition, and following one's principles will prevail in the end.
A quick, fast-paced and thrilling read!

Joy Fielding does a great job at maintaining the suspense throughout the book. While you see many of them coming, there's still enough surprises to keep anyone hooked!

My only complaint is there are several characters that really don't have anything to add to the story. For example, other than existing to prove Jodi's motherhood, her kids really don't do much and I think the book might have been better without them.

Other then that, I really enjoyed this book and will absolutely be checking out more of Fielding's work!

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the chance to enjoy this one!
I love Joy Fielding, she never fails to disappoint - The Housekeeper was indeed a gripping page-turner that kept me guessing until the very end!
The Housekeeper is the latest domestic thriller by Canadian author Joy Fielding. The story centres around Jodi Bishop, an overworked real estate agent who is trying to juggle her stressful career, family life and her troubled marriage to Harrison, and her aging parents.  She works at the prestigious real estate firm founded by her father Vic Dundas, an overbearing and difficult man. He is entrusted in caring for his wife Audrey who is in the late stages of Parkinson’s disease. Audrey’s care is becoming too much for Vic to handle himself so Jodi decides to hire someone to assist him. She interviews Elyse Woodly, a charming and attractive 60ish widow who checks all the boxes. At first Elyse is a godsend and goes beyond the duties of housekeeper and slowly ingrains herself into the Dundas clan. As is often the case, Elyse is indeed too good to be true, and as the story progresses, her true personality is revealed.

What I liked about the book:
-I loved the high society world of Toronto and seeing how the other half lived
-the character development, Fielding did an excellent job with the backstory of Jodi and her life
-Elyse was a deliciously villainous person who drew you in with her charm and her reasonable explanations
-the satisfying ending where everything fell into place
-dysfunctional families for added drama
-the cat and mouse game between Elyse and Jodi
-the twists and turns

What I disliked about the book:
-at times Jodi completely frustrated me with her choices and how she was a stepping mat by her family especially her dad and spoiled, entitled sister Traci
-Harrison was a very unlikeable character who seemed like a whiny narcissist

My rating: 4 out of 5

My final take away:
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I was a big fan of Fielding’s writing style which kept me engaged the entire time. I recommend this book for fans of domestic thrillers and dysfunctional families. If you enjoy books with some twists along the way with a mix of villainous characters then this is the book for you.

Potential Trigger Warning
Extramarital affairs
Emotional abuse
Body shaming

A huge thank you goes out to NetGalley and Penguin Random House Canada for this eARC
What an interesting twist of an ending! I loved it.
Financial elder abuse is something that exists not only from outside players, but also internal family members. This book displays all forms of abuse across the life of Jodi, our narrating character. I like the way the author culminates her character's behaviour based on the verbal and emotional abuse she perpetually receives from her parents, and then her spouse. Thankfully she is able to  become a successful professional, while at the same time a naive and vulnerable individual who openly craves meaningful attention and praise as a result of the incessant abuse. In an interesting way, Jodi single-handedly supports every characters' successes like a human stepping stone who doesn't complain - and she is ok with that. This is how she roles because this is how she grew up being treated thus, just as her perfect sister learnt to be the favourite and "worked" receiving allowance "payment" to fulfill her role. Although our housekeeper, Elyse, is egregious in her financial abuse, she too 'works' for her "pay".
The author disguises the more nuanced forms of abuse that continually occur to Jodi; she uses rationalized thinking of "that is just how that person is" and continually lets abuses go. The verbal abuse towards Jodi is truly insidious, and just like her learned behaviour to ignore the hurt that slowly eats away at her self esteem, so did I as the reader, which was an interesting realization. Abuse takes many forms and the author weaves them into this story when we don't even realize it. Well done!
This domestic thriller was a page-turner full of very unlikeable characters. Jodi the successful real estate agent who hires the “too good to be true” housekeeper Elyse to assist with her sick mother (Audrey) and the mean aging father (Vic) in their old, dark, creepy home. As the plot develops with many red flags the perfect housekeeper becomes controlling, a liar and thief. The sister Tracy is spoiled as her father provides her with a generous allowance. Jodi’s husband (Harrison) a writer who does nothing but complain about how much he has to care for his own children.

This was my first Joy Fielding novel and even thought the revealing of everyone’s secrets were somewhat predictable I still enjoyed this read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Joy Fielding for allowing me to receive an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Well Fluffer My Nutter!! 😳😯🤯😳

What The Fluffin Pancakes!? Wholy cheesy Mac & Cheese! Fielding is always a top 10 author for me I've loved and yet again, she sets it in stone with this novel for me. Freakin' unreal with how she came up with this. Now I know your thinking "another housemaid / keeper novel" but this one is exceptional and one of the best! Fluff me sideways what the heck! I can't get over the twists and turns this had with one heckuva thrill!

Mყ 𝐒ყɴ𝐨ρѕιѕ: Jodi has it all - a successful real estate company inherited from her father who's retired, her husband, Harrison, a successful writer, & two adorable kids. However, her mother has advanced Parkinson's disease and it's become too much for just her Father to deal with so she finally convinces him to hire a housekeeper to help with her mother & all house keeper duties. Enter, Elyse. She seems to beyond perfect and more than Jodi could've hoped for. But as the months go by, things drastically change with her mother worsening unexpectedly and Elyse changes... to the point Jodi doesn't know who this woman is or what she wants.

I'm shook from that fluffery of an ending. The characters drama were endless and I soaked it up like a sponge cake doused in fudge sauce! You get hooked in and lose yourself in the book so plan to not do a thing when you're about to read it. A suspenseful, entirely crazy novel. I'm still thinking about this as I write my review mumbling and shaking my head. Absolutely a top favourite of mine now by Fielding. When something seems to be too good to be true, it usually is. Now excuse me while I refresh my coffee and catch some Sun Vit D after that shake up!

Thank you to NetGalley & Penguin Random House Canada for this ARC.
Release Date: August 16, 2022

𝐌𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐭: 4.5 / 5 Beach Waves! 🌊
"In the end, I only have myself to blame. I'm the one who let her in."
Jodi's mother is sick, and her father can't take care of her anymore. It's time to hire him some help. She is delighted when she finds a housekeeper so perfect she would put Mary Poppins to shame. But things aren't always as perfect as they seem...
Joy Fielding is one of my go-to auto-buy authors, and for good reason! She is the queen of domestic thrillers, and this one was no different. The story, although predictable, is well written, as well as the characters, most of whom are awefull in this book. Her father's attitude towards Jodi (and her appearance, trigger warning on body shaming) is appalling. Tracy, her mid-fourties sister, is a brat. Jodi's husband, Harrison is... a very unsupporting husband, and not a very good one at that. And the villain is as villainous as they get although she always appears as no less than perfect, so much so that at some point in the book, you start doubting Jodi's doubts about her. I can tell a character is well written when it brings out so many emotions out of me!
The only negative thing I can say about it, is that there is a LOT of foreshadowing. I don't mind some foreshadowing, but I'd say in about the first quarter of the book, there is some at the end of almost every chapter... we get it, something bad is going to happen... Also, there is a little bit of struggle in the time line where it says Elyse has been working for them for a few months, but she then talks about Harrison who is about to start teaching, but he was only 5 weeks from starting when they hired Elyse.
Otherwise, this was amazing, once again, Joy Fielding did not disappoint!
I received this book in exchange from my honest opinion from NetGalley and Penguin Random House Canada.
My general feeling is that I am tired of domestic thrillers. But, every once in a while it is necessary to feed that part of my appetite. Not sure how much of a “thriller” this book is but it kept me turning pages.

Jodi is the narrator. She is coping with aging parents, a husband who has drifted away emotionally and a sister who is an entitled airhead. Her mother is in the end stages of Parkinson’s disease. Jodi hires a housekeeper to help out her parents.

The housekeeper sounds too good to be true….and very subtlety the “fun” begins.

I found Jodi's character interesting….very insecure and full of self doubt because her parents always favoured her sister. Jodi's personality allowed her to always be a victim, but a stoic victim. Her sister Tracy was a piece of work, still supported by her father at the age of 45.

For the first 75% of the book, the story moves along as expected. But then it takes a turn that actually surprised me. Things started to fall apart. Perhaps other readers saw it coming but I did not. I couldn't wait to see how it would be resolved! The pages kept turning.

Perfect summer read. A quick read and entertaining. And a perfect ending! Just what I needed!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an Advance Readers Copy.
i must admit i'm a fan of Joy Fielding. So right from the start i expected to enjoy this book. The reason I enjoy reading Joy's books is they are easy to read. The Housekeeper didn't fail.

Jodi Bishop and Traci Dundas  are Vic Dundas' daughters. Vic has, over the girl's lives, always favoured Traci and been inclined to very harsh with Jodi. Jodi  is a sales agent for the real estate company the her father founded and she works hard and makes a good income. Enough so that her husband,Harrison, is able to devote his time to writing the great American novel, but has only sold one in the last ten years. Traci on the other hand is still being supported by her father.

Vic is 79 and Audrey his wife has been suffering from Parkinsons disease for about 20 years and in the last few years she has become much more crippled. The daughters have decided that Vic needs help caring for her. And Jodi will get some relief from having to run over to their house to check on things as well as looking after her own family and working full time.

Jodi interviews Elyse Woodly. a spry and stylish sixtyish widow who Jodi falls instantly in like with. Jodi decides Elyse is perfect and plans on hiring her but will introduce her first to Vic. The meeting with Vic goes well and Elyse is hired.

The rest is a story of The Housekeeper and what she can do for the Dundas family. Well Elyse is a most helpful housekeeper. She babysits Jodi's kids when Harrison is too busy , she makes family dinners and much, much more.

Keep reading to see just how much more helpful Elyse can be. Things become very suspicious but is Audrey in danger? Does Elyse have a plan?

ThisI one of my favourite Joy Fielding books. I'm certain you as a mystery reader will like it as much as me.

Thanks to Netgalley and a big thanks also to Penguin/Random house for allowing me to preview this delightful suspense by one of my favouite authors.
Jodi Bishop’s mom Is bed-ridden and her dad takes care of her while expecting Jodi to be available to help out with errands, cleaning, whatever needs doing  despite having her own family and job. Tired out from never having a moment to herself, she decides to hire a housekeeper. She hires a woman who seems perfect in every way but like the old cliche says if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. What had seemed like the dream hire turns out to be the family’s worst nightmare.

Joy Fielding is the master of the domestic thriller and The Housekeeper is no exception. It is one fast furious unputdownable read that grabbed me from the beginning and never let go. The perfect summer read and a high recommendation from me.

<i>Thanks to Netgalley and Penguin Random House Canada for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review</i>
A successful woman,Jodi, hires a housekeeper to help care for her controlling  aging parents.  Jodi finds a new ally in the housekeeper. Over time the housekeeper takes her parents  lives and shuts Jodi out.

Another great suspenseful thriller novel from Joy Fielding!
A fun domestic thriller with more layers than a mutil-tier wedding cake!

When the Housekeeper of your dreams becomes your families worst Nightmares, what length would they go to and what would you do to stop them?!?

A story that keeps you turning the pages and dying to know the outcome! (no pun intended)

This one was a page turner to start with but then became pretty predictable. No spoilers here but I kind of figured the man and the affair were too good to be true. I really like the writing style and was engaged right away.

It was a fast read and did keep me interested until the end. Mostly to see who won out in the battle of evil. For me to love a book I have to love the characters. I did not love any of these people. I felt sorry for Jodi and the rest of them were all awful (which was likely the intention of the author). Why did Jodi put up with so much crap from her dad, sister, mom, husband etc? She was just too much of a doormat for me in her personal life. She definitely should have been the older sister in this story as her caretaking role falls more to that birth order.

Trigger warnings needed for disordered eating, diet culture and a bit of domestic abuse.

I was not sad about the ending of this story at all so I guess it had a happy ending (of sorts).
Amazing, intense book by this Author. I was delighted to receive an ARC. Some of the story might have been predictable but I was not expecting a lot of what happened. Put this book on your TBR list right now so you don’t miss it. Thanks to NetGalley, Penguin Random House Canada and the Author for allowing me to read and review this book.
A light quick summer read. A murder mystery with some surprising twists and turns. This was the first novel I have read by this author and I enjoyed the voice and style of the writer. The story strikes a chord with aging parents and sibling rivalry that many are struggling with these days. An enjoyable afternoon diversion!
Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Random House Canada for the digital ARC.
Wow…this was one heck of a ride! I couldn’t put this book down once I started; it was mind blowing,
Jodi Bishop is a wife, mother and realtor who is in need of a housekeeper for her aging parents. Her mother has Parkinson’s Disease and her father can no longer cope with trying to look after her and a large house, too. Enter Elyse Woodley, a woman with great references and a winning personality. And she’s attractive, to boot. Tracy, Jodi’s sister, is the favourite daughter and at 45, is still being given a monthly allowance from her father. Not spending much time with her parents leaves Jodi to pay visits and make phone calls to keep in touch.
Elyse is a dream come true or is she?  She cooks, cleans, babysits Jodi’s young children and looks after Jodi’s mother and father so well….what could be wrong?
Harrison Bishop is Jodi’s husband. He’s not supportive in any way regarding her or her family and just wants to write his book and teach writing.  Jodi is finding it increasingly difficult to cope but Elyse is insinuating herself into all facets of her life and her parents lives, too.
Filled with unbelievable scenarios that’ll make you sit up and want to shout “don’t listen to her”, this book held me captive. It’s been a while since I read such a great suspense novel!
Hope you enjoy it, too.
I loved this book!  It was a page turner and kept me interested until the very end.  Jodi was stronger than she believed and loved her father in spite of his poor treatment of her.  Jodi could have easily given up on her father, sister and husband, but she always kept trying to make things better.  Great read!
Thanks to the publisher for providing me with an advance reader copy of this book. I really enjoyed the story and recommend it to other thriller book lovers when it is published in August. I loved the setting being in Toronto and the street names and areas of the city are all familiar to me so I could envision the locations. The characters were distinct and very appropriately described for the role each played. Great story; read in one day.