Cover Image: A Hard Kick in the Nuts

A Hard Kick in the Nuts

A HARD KICK IN THE NUTS,  by Stephen "Steve-O" Glover, is so much more than wild tales of Glover's truly unique and crazy life.  Those stories are great and Glover has a quick wit and funny approach in his recounting of those events.  Glover ruminates on the good, bad, and insane choices he has made over the years and considers why he made those choices, were they the correct choices, and what did he take away from those choices.
  When you pick a book written by a guy known for crazy stunts and a ridiculous zest for life, you know you are going to get some great stories and this book doesn't disappoint.  Glover also looks at smaller moments in his life and how they impacted him.  It could be a single sentence in an interview or a chance meeting at an event, but Glover really digs deep into moments that changed him and made him grow as a person.  He is also very quick to admit that while he is giving out advice based on his life, he still is a perpetual work in progress and not a individual to look up to or admire.  He sees his faults and recognizes that often he gets in his own way when trying to grow as a person.
   While I read A HARD KICK IN THE NUTS because I am a fan of Stephen "Steve-O" Glover and all of his antics, I came away from the book looking a life just a little bit different knowing that there is deep spirit behind his unstable exterior.
Interesting and well written I just personally couldn’t get into the story. Just a little slow and unbelievable at some points. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
For some reason, every book I’ve read this year has dealt with loss of a loved one in some way or another, so I was desperately in need of something lighthearted & funny. This book did not disappoint. I will freely admit that I had no idea what to expect beforehand and not because of who the author is but because the book cover is legit him being kicked in the nuts.

While I would definitely not categorize it as a self-help book, I would say that it’s a book that has an excellent way of putting different things into perspective. It was also extremely refreshing to read a book that’s meant to in a way give the reader guidance, while the author also makes it quite clear that he’s a selfish, attention seeking, asshole, so maybe you shouldn’t listen to the wisdom he’s possibly imparting. Plus, there’s the added bonus that he’s a comical dude & that is without a doubt reflected in his writing style, which reads more like you’re having a conversation with someone as opposed to just reading words off a page.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and can see myself reading it again the next time I realize that every other book I’ve read for the past 6 months has somehow wound up with someone dying.

*Thank you NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of this book for my honest review*
I personally haven’t ever seen any of the Jackass movies until this year. I’m 26. I’ve always known of them and who Steve-O was but not much about him. I watched the newest Jackass and I thought I wouldn’t like it, but then I ended up watching the other ones. Anyways, I then seen this book available on NetGalley for review. I actually really really like this book. I love how this isn’t like a typical self help/motivational book. This was a realistic self story of growth and transformation. I actually liked this so much that I ordered a signed copy and also purchased his other book. I would definitely recommend this to anyone. Even people who maybe don’t actually know a lot about Steve-O!

(Thank you to NetGalley for the arc in exchange for an honest review).
I'm a fan of his jackassery (yes, I made up a word) and how he's bettered his life and is now sober and happy. However, this book wasn't as entertaining to me as I wanted it to be.
What a surprisingly good read. I've always liked Steve-o but was shocked at how entertaining this was. I shouldn't have been but he is pretty deep guy. It's a quick read but I enjoyed every minute of it
If you have been a lifelong Jackass/CKY fan, and/or seen the Steve-O rehab or life documentary, there wont be that many crazy surprises here. But it is a fun and easy read about the consequences of living hard.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.  Steve-O delivered exactly the book he promised, " 90% crazy, fucked up shit from life, ten percent hard-earned wisdom".  I of course grew up watching "Jackass" so I couldn't wait to see what his new book was about. It definitely did not let me down. It was everything I wanted and more. I totally could hear his voice as I read the book. I loved his crazy stories with little nuggets of wisdom tucked in.       And he left us with the fond wisdom of "Growing older is genuinely a hard kick in the nuts." Fans of "Jackass" will love it.
A Hard Kick in the Nuts: What I’ve Learned from a Lifetime of Terrible Decisions by "Steve-O" Glover was received directly from the publisher and I chose to review it.  Steve-O is best known for his shenanigans from the Jackass TV show and movies.  He was the actual first one that I knew his name just by looking at him. Like all of us, Steve-O is aging and this book is about the things he has learned from his foolish lifestyle and is an exploration of life and how to live it.  Maintaining the right balance of "living life to the fullest," and being a sensible adult is what this book attempts to teach the reader.  If you or someone you buy gifts for is a fan of Steve-O or the Jackass movies, or you know a young adult who may be veering toward a reckless lifestyle, give this book a read.  The holiday season is fast approaching as well.

4 Stars
This was a truly great book. Not at all what I was expecting, but I really did enjoy all of the anecdotes that Steve had to tell. I would recommend this book!
This is Steve-O, warts and all. His greatest stunt was surviving his crazy life. I wouldn't say this book is a blueprint to live by, but Steve-O definitely has learned from his experiences and that is a great way to go about your business. Fun, quick read for fans of Jackass.
Man, Steve-O has been through it all! I loved how brutally honest he was about his struggles. I also was glad to see him take inventory of himself and acknowledge his flaws. An inspiring and funny book.
I was excited to get a chance to read this book because I'd always liked Steve-O. I never realized how much he actually went through, great read.
I am so ungodly endeared to Steve-O. I always have been soft for him, but this book took it to a next level. I love the way he talks about himself, his past, his sobriety, it's all fantastic. Did not like the bit about HIV linked to gay men, but.
I’ve been a fan of Steve-O since his Jackass days. Even when Knoxville and his friends had a forced intervention. Even when he seemed to spin off into deebasaurusness. And especially when I actually took the time to listen to what he meant. He’s incredibly smart, if you disregard that whole seemingly fearless “this is how I die” mentality. And even with that, he’s a smart man. And this book is BRUTALLY honest. He sits in a house full of mirrors here, pointing out every last one of his flaws. How he sees them. How he may be able to work on a few of them while leaving some others to simply be their flawed beauty that is part of him. And even among all of that, he’s utterly enjoyable. And hilarious. I mean, who doesn’t at least worry about getting older? Or losing all relevance in the world? So take your fears, sit and get comfortable with them, and enjoy the ride that is Steve-o’s thought process and humor. Even if you don’t really believe that there’s anything to learn from a guy who willingly takes kicks to areas most men shy away from, I promise that you will. Maybe it’s just how to laugh. Or maybe it’s that you’re enough and that the goal of life isn’t to be the best. It’s to have the best time getting to the best version of yourself.

Or maybe you’ll just feel a little less alone in your mind because I, too have a dog like Walter. He’s big. He’s become a spazzing mess. He’s literally on Trazodone because who knew a gentle giant would become a gigantic Chihuahua with more issues? But this spazztastic dog is still kicking, just like Steve-o’s Walter. And boy, did I feel better knowing that someone else sometimes looks at their dog and thinks, “Yeah, you can maybe croak now.” Then the dog looks at you like he won’t use your furniture as an outhouse and you let those thoughts flit away. So solidarity, Steve-O. Solidarity!
Truly a pleasure, thank you netgalley. I didnt realize how much he had gone through and how strong he really is. This was powerful and important and I think its absolutely worth the read. Will be recommending to my brothers who love him!
I just finished reading this memoir and highly recommend it to anyone look for a survivor story. Memoirs give me a chance to see the world through someone else’s eyes. Professional Idiot was also a riveting memoir and this one is even better.
This is very classically Steve-O
It’s written with humor and honesty. I loved every minute of it, as will most fans.