Cover Image: A Daughter's Courage

A Daughter's Courage

The setting and atmosphere this book created was perfect to start winter reading. You can’t help but grab as many cozy blankets as possible to curl up with while reading.

This was perfectly fine to read on its own as I have not read the previous two books. I enjoyed Charlotte’s quiet, calm demeanor and the forced proximity created a slow burn romance that was built well.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the gifted ecopy. All views expressed are my own.
After accidentally destroying the intricately carved chalice her people have treasured for over a hundred years, Charlotte Durand sets out in search of a skilled artisan who can repair the damage. What she expected to be a two-day trek becomes much more daunting when a treacherous snowstorm sets in.

Searching for solitude and respite from his troubling past, the last thing Damien Levette needs in the middle of a mountain blizzard is to tend to another person, but he can't leave behind the mysterious woman he found half frozen at the edge of a mountain lake.

As they battle both the elements and their distrust of each other, Charlotte and Damien must work together to survive the peril of the mountains--or it could be the downfall of them both.
 My review:  This book didn't hold my interest as I was reading.  The story line was ok. Girl goes off into the wilderness, not really knowing where she is going or what she will run into.  Boy is running away from life.  They run into each other and try to survive a blizzard. This book almost seemed like a repeat of other books I have read.  Would I recommend this book?  Maybe if you were looking for a very light read.  The first two books in this series were better and kept me reading.

If you haven't read the first books in the series, you need to read them.  The information about the village is very sketchy in this book.  Without the back information I think you would be lost.

I was given this book by Bethany House Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  I was not compensated in any way.
I haven't read any of the previous books in this series, so this is a first time read for me by this author. I have to say I really enjoyed it and plan to go back and read the others in the series. The story was full of adventure and intrigue and had me captivated from start to finish. Charlotte accidentally ruins a chalice that her people have treasured, and she sets out to find an artisan who might be able to fix it. On her journey she is faced with a dangerous snowstorm. Damien comes upon her and saves her from freezing to death. They then work together to survive the storm and thus begins their journey of friendship and ultimately love.
This was a lovely story and I enjoyed Damien and Charlotte together, especially Charlotte who did a lot of growing during her journey. This was a well-written and well-placed story with lovely characters.  Though part of a series,  I had no trouble reading as a standalone. A lovely story I am happy to have had the opportunity to read.
I received a complimentary copy via Netgalley and am voluntarily leaving my review.
This was a great story! Third in the Laurent series…I’ve loved them all but I think this one is my favorite. I’ve said that about all Misty Bellers books. They grab your attention from start to finish. This is Charlotte and Damien’s story…Charlotte breaks a Laurent heirloom and wants to fix it before anyone finds out. But she has to travel to a village to get it fixed. On the way a blizzard comes and Damien finds her. Then the adventure begins. You’ll love it!
Charlotte has a mishap and decides to leave the safety of Laurent to try to fix the problem. When she feels as if she is stranded in the frozen mountains far from home, she meets a young trapper that seems to want to help her get home safely. They run into many obstacles that bring them closer together.

While they are facing physical obstacles in the mountains and rough terrain, they both face their own obstacles such as self worth. Both characters had to work things out before they could head home. They discover that God has brought them together for a reason.

I have enjoyed the stories in this series. While this could be read as a standalone, it is better within the series. It wasn’t my favorite in the series but it was an opportunity to hear Charlotte’s story.

I would recommend this book.  I received a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own and I was not required to leave a positive review.
Charlotte Duran accidentally ruins a silver chalice that has been part of her family for 100's of years. She leaves her small, hidden town and sets out to find a silversmith to repair it just before Christmas. But her quest leads her into several dangerous situations. Damien Levette, a trapper, has set off on his own to both trap and find the hidden town that Charlotte is from. When they run into each other, they join together in battle of the elements, will they learn to work together or will it be the downfall of both of them?

Enjoyable historical romance novella that is a well written, quick read.
Can they survive the perils of a winter journey?

If there's one thing Misty M. Beller knows how to do well it's a good winter adventure with a small cast of characters. I've come to expect the way that it not only allows the reader to get to know the hero and heroine, but it also amps of the tension of just two people facing the elements, dependent only on each other and God. A Daughter's Courage brings all of that to the forefront just as the previous books in the Brides Of Laurent series have.

I will be honest, Charlotte annoyed me to no end through at least the first half of the book. Her persistent stubbornness to at times stupidity puts them both in danger more than once. On the other hand, Damien is surprisingly patient in spite of everything and seems to only see the best in her.

I have to say that I couldn't have read this cold winter adventure story at a more fitting time. A couple of feet of snow is on the ground and more is predicted. It really brought the icy wind and the biting chill of the water to life. It also made me very glad to be sitting in a warm house with a fuzzy blanket and a cup of hot tea.

A Daughter's Courage turned out to be an enjoyable read as is any Misty M. Beller novel. She's done a great job with her Brides Of Laurent series and you can't help but want to learn more about mysterious small community hidden for a century inside a mountain in the Canadian wilderness. Just make sure you don't miss any of the books in the series...

(I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions are entirely my own.)
I’m loving this series by Misty Beller. A hidden community inside of a mountain has held me spellbound from the start of the first novel.
Charlotte was brave and had lots of guts. Starting out on her own along a dangerous trek in the dead of winter showed her determination. She was trying to find someone to repair a damaged chalice before her father found out. It was more challenging than she imagined it would be and if not for Damien finding her and changing his plans to help her, she would have perished. What an adventure full of freezing days and nights, dangerous traveling, injuries and bravery. I loved the descriptions that had my imagination working overtime and me shivering to the point I had to grab my coat!
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through Celebrate Lit but was not required to write a review positive or otherwise.
Charlotte has found herself in a pickle due to her curiosity and a bit of clumsiness. But when she decides to set out on a journey when winter is closing in ,to a destination she has never been to, I couldn't help but wonder if she was courageous or foolish! I certainly got my eyes opened! Charlotte is a very brave young woman to accomplish what she does! Damien is to me the hero of this story, the way he accepts every challenge even when he knows he is being deceptive and may lose everything, he keeps going. This story takes us through the wilderness of Canada and gives us such beauty and danger is a tribute to the research the author has done to give us a book so real you feel like you are travelling sling with the characters. I have enjoyed every book so far in this series and this one didn't let me down either. Every book I have read of Ms. Beller's has taken me on a journey into the past and away from the pressures of the present. I look forward to every book she writes as I know that I won't be disappointed in spending quality time reading.
I received a free download of this book from Netgalley and the publisher. This review is totally my own honest opinion.
I love this author.   Her books are excellent historical fiction novels that take you back in time and place.  I have never read a book by her that I haven’t loved.  In fact, I tend to pass on her books when I have physical copies because I’ve gotten my friends and family hooked on them as well!

In this book, we delve deeper into Charlotte and her story.  We met her in book one of this series.  Even though this is in a series you can read it as a stand-alone book as well if you wish.  Why you’d want to only read one book when you could read multiple I’ll never know though!

Both Charlotte and Damien have stories that need to be shared.  While I didn’t love everything about them I did enjoy peeling back their layers and seeing what made each what they are now.  Charlotte throws caution to the wind to go get the chalice fixed.  What she doesn’t realize is that danger could be in her path.  She didn’t even think about it!  Guys!  That was hard for me to swallow because I have anxiety and I always think of everything that could possibly go wrong before I do anything!  I can’t believe not everyone does that.  Anyway. this is an amazing read and I hope you enjoy going along for the journey.

I have voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received through Celebrate Lit. All views expressed are only my honest opinion. I was not required to write a positive review nor was I compensated in any other way. All opinions expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the FTC regulations.
In A Daughter’s Courage I connected to Charlotte rather quickly. I loved her naivety and was entertained by her stubborn nature. But Damien is who got to me the deepest. Despite his difficulties, he is smart and caring and I rooted for him the loudest. I loved watching their growth and the work of God’s hand throughout their journeys.

There wasn’t a lot of dialogue in the beginning (a little more telling rather than showing in some instances) but that picked up a bit as the pacing increased.

I loved the mountain wilderness setting and could visualize things easily. And the themes of Godly wisdom, purpose, trust, and survival, this is a meaningful and entertaining story.

#CoverLoverBookReview received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions are 100% mine.
3.5 Stars

Readers who enjoy frontier, man vs. nature romances should definitely put Misty M. Beller on their lists of authors to read. There are always elements of man against nature, as well as vivid descriptions of the landscape.

A Daughter’s Courage features Charlotte Durand, who readers met in the second book, and a Damien Levette, who is a newcomer to the series. Both Charlotte and Damien see themselves as less than others around them, but when they are together, they build each other up well.

I was a tad disappointed that the final book in the Brides of Laurent series about a group of people who lived among a system of caves had very few scenes in said caves, but Damien and Charlotte needed the space to get to know each other’s character, and there’s no way for that to happen than to put them in situations where they have to depend on and trust each other.

Disclosure statement: I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book and was not required to write a positive or negative review. All opinions are my own.
Misty Beller always writes an exciting story that may make your breath catch as you read about all the challenges and dangers the intrepid characters undergo. The thrilling plot throws out plenty of adventures that seem nearly insurmountable as well as intriguing. In this powerful novel, third in the series that involves the hidden French village of Laurent, Charlotte Durand sets off on her own through a snowstorm to reach the nearest fort. She has never gone beyond their mountain habitat and is in for quite a risky journey. Fortunately, she meets a trapper, Damien Levette, who partners with her as they continue on this hazardous trek. The compelling book will sweep you away in this perilous winter drama, which seems so real with its true-to-life characters and strong emotions that wring your heart. The tale stands alone, but reading the series in order offers a more enriching experience. I received a copy through Celebrate Lit. All opinions are my own. #ADaughtersCourage #NetGalley
I have really enjoyed this series by Misty M. Beller. I like how the community of Laurent is hidden away and how strangers start making their way into the community and start to change how the people see the world. I love how indecent the women are and that they will do what ever they can to protect their community. I loved how in this story Charlotte was willing to set out on her own to fix a problem she caused even though she had never left her home before. I loved how as she got to know Damien, she was able to help him to heal and to open up his heart. I loved the surprises in this story and I loved how the romance between Charlotte and Damien developed. I also think Laurent would be an amazing place to visit if it was real. I thought this story was well told and is one I highly recommend.

I received a complimentary book from publishers, publicists, and or authors.  A review was not required and all opinions and ideas expressed are my own.
A Daughter’s Courageis a well written historical book..  Good plot and character dynamics.  I recommend this book if you enjoy historical books.  I received an advance ebook from the publisher and Netgalley.  This is my unbiased review.
The author does an amazing job of taking readers back in time to 1817. There we can picture snow covering the mountains as a harsh winter has come. I loved Charlotte and desire to help her father around the village. While cleaning one day she damages a precious item that is treasured by her and the village. She was so afraid to confess to her papa that she runs  away determined to find someone to repair it. I don’t think she was thinking clearly when she finds herself in weather that was unbearable to endure. She will find a lesson waiting for her in the  story which we all can use sometime. Charlotte learns to trust her father and lean on others when she is in trouble. We can’t do everything by ourselves and Charlotte finds  out God has sent someone to help her.

Damien was my favorite character because he was humble, strong and searching for happiness. After losing his sister he seems to be lost and not  sure what to do next. When he and Charlotte meet it is under circumstances that force them to join up in order to survive the dangers in the wild. It did take a bit of time for both of them to warm up to each other. I liked how Damien became protective of Charlotte and treated her respectfully.

The author allows these two characters to slowly get to know each other and I liked the pace of their relationship. As they start to trust each other they face danger on their journey. The author described the weather so well, I grabbed a blanket as I read the book. I loved how Damien came to understand that God loved Him. We sometimes think we disappoint others or God, but we need to remember that God is pleased with us. He loves us and   delights in us. I loved the illustration that shows when we feel discouraged , God is there to lift us up.

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion.
A Daughter's Courage is another captivating historical fiction by Misty M Beller. I like the author's writing style which puts the reader right into the scenes. The story reeled me in from the first page and kept my interest until the end with adventure, danger, and, of course, romance. Even though the book is part of a series (Brides of Laurent), it is easily a stand-alone read. I eagerly await more from this author. I won a copy of the book through LibraryThing and was not required to write a review. The opinions are my own.
A Daughter's Courage
by Misty M. Beller
Pub Date: Nov 1, 2022
Bethany House
Thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the ARC of this book.  This is the third book in this series. I have not read the rest of the series, and I found this is a good stand-alone.
Our library has many Christian readers. So Bethany House is where I start when I am looking for good books!
This will be one our patrons enjoy!
"Lord, I want to trust you. I'm not sure if I can. Give me the desire to place this in your hands.'

I love history, always have. I love the historical writing of Misty Beller, too. Very much.  Her descriptions are so vivid, it seems as if the reader is right there in the book with her characters. I look forward to what Beller has in store for her readers next.

4 stars
Damien, a trapper, finds Charlotte alone on the mountain. Determined not to let her travel alone, he agrees to escort to the fort. Charlotte's not sure but decides to let him accompany her.

The story is about a budding romance between Damien and Charlotte. They learn to lean on and trust one another. There are times of unexpected peril which need strength from God and prayers for them to pull through. There is forgiveness, disappointment, unconditional love, and increased faith. Lots of mystery and a very unexpected ending which wrapped everything up nicely.

Another great read from Misty Beller, who never lets her readers down. Highly recommended.

I received a complimentary copy from the author and voluntarily choose to review it.
I'm not exactly sure what I want to say about A Daughter's Courage. Misty M Beller is sometimes hit or miss for me. I didn't love the first book in this series, but I enjoyed book 2 much better than the first. I decided to go ahead and check out book 3, and I landed somewhere in the middle with my feelings on it.

Charlotte is quiet, yet stubborn. And proud too. Admitting when we've made a mistake is quite difficult sometimes. Yet so much could have been avoided if only she'd talked to her father from the beginning. Of course, that wouldn't have been much of a story, would it? Damien wants to be alone. He's still grieving his twin sister's death. And yet he can't stop himself from helping Charlotte when he sees her out in a snow storm on her own.

One of my issues with A Daughter's Courage is how similar it is to other stories both in this series and in Beller's Hearts of Montana series. Two people on a journey in the mountain wilderness surviving by themselves and dependent upon each other.

My other and perhaps biggest issue was the lack of dialogue within the first half of the book between the two main characters. Yes Charlotte is quiet and Damien appreciates this quality about her, but two people need to talk in order to develop more than just an attraction to each other. Beller tells us that the two talked about this subject or that subject at one point, but the actual dialogue was lacking for a large portion of the story.

I enjoyed A Daughter's Courage. I didn't speed through it, but it didn't seem to drag on either. The only problems I had revolved around the lack of dialogue in the first portion of the book which led to a tell vs show issue and that the story was very similar to what I've read of Beller's work in the past. I rooted for the characters, and I enjoyed their growth. In the end, A Daughter's Courage gets 3 Stars. Have you read A Daughter's Courage? What did you think? Let me know!