Cover Image: A Psalm for Every Season

A Psalm for Every Season

A thought-provoking look at the Psalms.  Arnold Fleagle delivers 30 devotions centered on Psalms.  He offers a reflection on the passage and a closing prayer.  I believe this will be a good choice for someone who is looking for a bit more than the normal quick daily devotion.

Thank you NetGalley, Chosen Books and Arnold Fleagle for the ARC of this book which I voluntarily read and reviewed.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Inspirational
Slightly longer reading for each of the psalms then I expected, I thought it was the type of thing to quickly read on a morning, but it is more indepth the I realised.
Still a good book.
The is a very inspirational book that provides a Psalm for 30 days. These Psalms can be used in conjunction with a fast or very enjoyable reading to start your day. Arnold Fleagle not only provides a 30 Day reading of Psalms for whatever season one maybe going through, he also provides a compelling thought, i.e. Compelling Thought - The answer to the question, “Do I believe in God?” also answers the question, “What is the IQ of my heart". In addition to the daily Psalm and compelling thought, the author provides an appropriate prayer.

Highly recommend this book as a very good reference for anyone's library or as a gift.
Unfortunately did not finish this, I misunderstood the format the book would be in, I thought it would be 1 psalm each day (for example 1 per page as written in the bible) but found this very tedious and too in depth for my preference. I am sure this is great for others but not for me. The cover and description makes it seem that the book will be in a simpler format allowing the reader to reflect on a selected psalm each day.
This is a book to dip in and out of. The psalms are presented in a new and vibrant style that bring fresh e elation and understanding.
Thank you netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read in exchange for a review.
A beautiful little book ,either to read sequentially or to dip in and out of. There are beautiful psalms to comfort,inspire or offer praise . Very well thought out.
I was drawn to the book by the stunning cover. 10/10 on that design!

Formatting issues from the epub of this title stopped me from enjoying this more. The layout was choppy, distracting from what was on the page.

I was educated in the same field of Christian thought that Dr. Fleagle served on the board for, Christian Missionary Alliance; it was easy to see a lot of the same thought patterns and teaching references in his work. This book is a solid, but uninspired, exploration of the Psalms. There is nothing new or incredibly thought-provoking here. It is clear that work, time and effort went into this, but that didn't translate into something that I will want to gift to friends or discuss in-depth with my faith circle. Fairly formulaic, which is what some readers of this genre will like, but it didn't push me to examine my heart, my spiritual formation, or my relationship with Pslams in any new way.
Each day of this devotional includes verses from a scriptural psalm, the devotional themes, compelling thoughts and ends with a comforting prayer. Fleagle gives an educated and doctrinally sound perspective on the psalms chosen for this devotional. God’s attributes, His wisdom and plan, and His desire to be in relationship with us are only a few of the topics Fleagle shares.

Succinct yet deeply researched and contemplative, each of the 30 devotions begin with a very truncated introduction to the specific scriptural psalm, sharing several key verses. It is beneficial to have a copy of the Bible present because the author goes on to outline the message in other verses of the psalm. Each devotional takes between 5-15 minutes, depending upon the reader. This devotional is worth the time spent completing it and is one that the reader would enjoy revisiting over and over again.

Here are a couple of short quotes from the book, among many others, to encourage us to spend time in the Word each day:

“...a heart saturated with the Word is less likely to stumble and fall short of God’s standard.”

“A deep appreciation for God’s Word is not something you schedule for retirement or the dismal days of a terminal illness. Grasp the joy of the Word that daily brings festive faith and often convicting challenge to your doorstep.”

“...the Psalms intersect with all the nuances of our lives, they are applicable and relevant and serve as guideposts for our pathways.”

I received this book from the author/publisher free of charge, with no expectation of a positive review.
What a heart warming read. I love psalms and it was so great to turn to the appropriate section to read something applicable. I think this would be a great gift for loved ones.
I have enjoyed this diary of the Psalms in the last 30 days. I particularly enjoyed considering the questions posed at the end of each chapter. The daily prayers were encouraging. The commentary was in its comments and references very American and on a few occasions my own thoughts were a little difference.
Even so, I would recommend this as a personal retreat into the Pslams.
I wanted to like this book but I did not like the tone the author used towards those people who do not have faith. This made it hard for me to engage with the text.  I see Jesus as the Good Shepherd.
I praise You for Your character and creation!I praise you for all that I know and for all that I can imagine! You are the best of the best, the most excellent, the magnificent God! May my breath be framed in thanksgiving to You, in every day season and night season. I love you deeply, and my heart's desires to  adore You forever and ever. Amen.

What a fitting tribute to the God we worship and adore. I can’t help but think of this as an excursion: where you lead us through the trials of doubt and confession of sin, to the thanksgiving of a shepherd’s care, to the majesty of creation and to the wonder of God’s enduring love for His people.

There was a challenge at the end of each reflection: A Compelling Thought. This was followed by a Comforting Prayer. Oh, how the author has been counseled by the Lord, and how he has used the simplicity of words to illumine the text. It’s just little things, but the little things are the big things, right? Let me dip into the teaching of Psalms 3 and 4. Speaking of David, Fleagle notes the obvious. David prays.(Psalm 3:4, 4:1,3) He adds ”David communicates loudly and often because he fully expected the Lord to respond to his petitions. Then he exhorts, “Do we pray with expectancy or just with panic?” ( a moment of truth, truth?). Second, he [David} had a high view of his protector: ``You LORD, are a shield about me.” (Psalm 3:3) In the midst of distress, we have our LORD! (Do we need anything more?)

I feel invigorated for my time in this devotional. I have made many of the prayers of this little book my own. I only hope it will be distributed far and wide, including Australia.

I would only offer this one caution. Don’t approach it as a 30 Day Devotional. It is much more A Psalm for Every Season, for each devotional could easily take a week of reflection and meditation.
A 30 day devotion that helps readers take passages from the book of Psalms and apply it in their everyday life.  A book filled with hope, and encouragement for the dark times we are currently living in. A quick and easy read.
This book was such a delight to read. The scripture references are wonderful and the author’s writing and personal anecdotes were beautiful. Each one of the days was very applicable to life. I’ve read through the Bible and studied it for many years, but I still learned so much from reading this book. I’m trying to get better at praying the scriptures, and this book was a gem to help jumpstart me in that goal.  This is a book I will not only recommend for my friends and family, but also purchase for them to make sure they read it. I was blessed by reading this book.
In the instable world we live in I find great comfort in the book of psalms I learned years ago there is a Psalm for every day of the month and every verse is apropot to the world we live in. Although an ancient tax written by King David and Epok it still applies to this day. I love the meditation advice in this book and I can totally appreciate what the author aim to do with it. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to become a better Christian, needs a two to help comb name your life in a new and positive direction. I was given this book by Nick Galli and I am leaving this review voluntarily please forgive any grammar or punctuation errors as I am blind and dictate my review but all opinions are definitely my own.
I was able to review A Psalm for Every Season - 30 Devotions to Discover Encouragement, Hope and Beauty by Arnold R. Fleagle by Chosen Books for providing me with an advanced ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Each day begins with a passage from Psalms followed by a reflection by the author, a linked thought to the passage and it ends with a prayer.   This is a must-read for anyone wanting to better understand the Psalms.
30 days worth of psalms and commentary, with a focused look at a choice of some verses from the psalms. The explanation of each extract is to the point and doesn’t dig into specific words and lines, rather the meaning of the whole verse is discovered along with its place in the praise of the lord. We look at the feelings of King David and what is behind the writing of the text not just what it means or meant when it was written. Some lovely contemplations and prayers. An easy, not overly complicated read.
This book focuses on Psalms in the Bible and follows a 30-day plan. Each day begins with a passage from Psalms (using various Bible translations), followed by a reflection by the author, a linked thought and ends with a prayer.

Just to preface this by saying I am a Christian and therefore I believe the target audience, however I don't think I fall into exactly the same 'branch' of Christianity as the author, so this may explain my slight issues with it. Some of the content in this was encouraging and some reflections really did have me thinking about applications in my life.

However I found a lot of the reflections containing either explicitly or implicitly an 'us v them' mentality which I found hard to shake. From making comments about only being friends with other Christians to discussing others of other faiths and those with none as though they are somehow pitiful for not knowing better makes me a bit uncomfortable. The subtitle is '30 Devotions to Discover Encouragement, Hope and Beauty', however I felt a lot of it was complaints about 'today's culture' and people who don't believe the same way we do. I am afraid due to this (in my opinion rather unkind) assessment, I can't give above 3 stars to this.

<i>I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review - my review was not affected by this</i>
I enjoy anything Psalm-related, so I was excited to get my hands on this book and I devoured it!!  I think it is meant to read one a day, but I just couldn't stop.  I will for sure be going back and rereading and purchasing a hard copy to keep near.
This book is written as a 30 day devotional, but is truly a deep-dive into the beauty and meaning of the Psalms of the Bible.  A Psalm for Every Season combines scripture, prayer and theological insight to  help anyone interpret one of the most  beloved books of the Bible. Arnold Fleagle knows his stuff, thereby making this a must-read for anyone wanting to better understand the Psalms.