Cover Image: The Girl from the Sea

The Girl from the Sea

I wasn’t crazy about this one. The idea was intriguing, but it was hard to connect to the story or the characters. It was just kind of meh for me.
This book fell flat for me. There was nothing in the story that made me feel connected to Mia or any of the other characters. There was not sense of suspense or mystery. The book picked up speed at around the 90% mark but that was to long of a wait for me.
Loved the mystery and suspense of this one. I was hooked from the first page and LOVED the ending! 5 star read, highly recommend it.
I'm still not sure I'm cut out for audio books, but I love Shalini Boland and this book kept me company on several walks.  I'm also a huge fan of books about people with amnesia so this was right up my alley.

When Mia is washed ashore with no memory of who she is, she encounters two men in her life, one who says he's her boyfriend, who she feels nothing for, and another, a rowing colleague, who she is immediately drawn to. Who should she trust? What happened with her mother and sister, who she meets with disastrous results. And who is the mysterious woman she must be hallucinating?

While the story was a bit slow in the middle, narrator Katie Villa does a fine job of taking you through the inner and outer dialogue, voicing each of the characters.

Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture Audio for a digital copy.
The Girl from the Sea was another great read by Shalini Boland. Mia James was washed up on a beautiful sun drenched beach. Unfortunately she doesn’t know who she is or what happened to her. Her boyfriend, Piers, comes forward and provides her with an identity. Her home is huge and stylish and her friends are all eager to fill in the blanks. Mia struggles to adjust, she’s lost for words around people she is supposed to know, and is grasping at clues about who she really is. Once her memories slowly return, she realizes something is very wrong. Her neighbors avoid her, her emails have been wiped, and she’s haunted by the face of a woman standing by the water. I enjoyed reading this book and can’t wait to read more by the author.
This is the first book I listen for this and although I quite liked the narration the story unfortunately didn’t hit me. I felt the characters were not very interesting and some parts were not believable. I missed more intrigue and suspense, especially on the second half of the book.
Shalini Boland is a wonderful, engrossing, suspenseful writer and this book is no exception.  I listened to this directly after "The Best Friend" and loved both books in terms of narration, plot, characters, and suspense.  The audio narration was well-acted and beautiful.  Shalini Boland has become an auto-buy suspense author for me, and I can't wait to see what she does next!
Unreliable narrarator, amnesia, secrets - what's not to like?  The Girl From the Sea was a good, solid, quick read.  I enjoyed the story, but it wasn't one of my favorites by Shalini Boland.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for allowing me an advanced audio copy of this book for my review.
Wow, this book had me hooked and totally fooled - recommended to friends and family already as a great read for winter.
A really enjoyable listen ! The storyline was good in that you just didn’t know which way it was going to go. A fantastic ending too ! The narrator was really good too and way to listen too
Shalini Boland consistently produces excellent psychological thrillers and this was no exception. It was full of the red herrings and twists and turns that make her books gripping and entertaining reads.  I felt Mia's frustration at having memory loss and I thought this was portrayed very well by the author. I enjoyed the setting which focused around the water and rowing. The ending was unexpected and very cleverly done. I don't want to say much more at the risk of giving away some plot lines and spoilers but I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys the genre as well as all of the authors or work!
I liked the premise of this story; a female is washed up alone on a beach with memory loss and has to piece together not only what happened, but who she is.  On hand is her boyfriend Piers to help her with this process.  But she starts to wonder about the truth of what happened and how and thereby hangs the tale.  Who can be trusted and who’s betrayed her?

I listen to dozens of audio titles and the majority are well narrated and a few are better than the written version.  Exceptionally, I found the delivery of The Girl From the Sea really offputting.  It’s all rather breathy and I reached a point where I was irritated by the narration and not fully engaged with the story.  I’ve tried to complete the book a few times and after some 50%, I’ve given up.  That said, the actual plot is intriguing and my early antipathy to the central character was coloured by the narrator.  She’s right to wonder what’s going on.  I’ll complete this book in written format and in the meantime I’ve given an average 3 stars.

My thanks to the publisher for a review copy via Netgalley.
I attempted to read this book on multiple occasions and gave up due to lack of interest. I gave it one more try and I am 80% into the book and still feel like not much has happened. I end up falling asleep each time I attempt to listen to the audiobook. Even with only 20% left, I am not invested and giving up on trying to read/ listen to this book,
Told from the first perspective, this was an intense psychological thriller about a chance for new beginnings, old wounds and the lies separating both. A woman washes up on the beach with amnesia. She can’t recall her name or anything about her past. As she settles in to her former life, she attempts to put the pieces together but realizes that it’s hard to do when she can’t trust the people around her. What is the truth? How did she end up on the beach? Was it an accident or did someone try to kill her?

It lost some points because I knew early on where it was going and guessed one of the reveals. However, I rounded up because the ending surprised me in a good way.

The audio version pulled me in. The narrator’s performance was chilling and brought life into the plot.

A gracious thank you to  Bookouture Audio and Netgalley for an advanced audiobook in exchange for an honest review.
A woman washes ashore at the edge of the sea and her memory is gone.  How did she end up there? Who is she?

This domestic thriller was fast-paced and a great story with a bunch of twists and turns.  The main character, Mia, seems to have a few enemies and starts having flashbacks to her accident, so you wonder, was her accident really an accident or did somebody try to hurt her?

I thought I had this book all figured out and that it was so predictable, BUT with about 50 minutes left, I was surprised to find out I was wrong! The narrator, Katie Villa, was great and kept my interest through the book, - I couldn't stop listening and thought her different voices for each character were perfectly done.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Thank you to @BookoutureAudio and @NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book!
While this is a common story line (woman found unconscious on seashore, has amnesia), I can assure you that this book, if you stick with it, will blow you out of the water (pun intended).  The main character, Mia, learns she appeared to have had a wonderful life prior to her accident. Her boyfriend Piers initially tries to help her to recover her memory, but then grows weary of it when little progress is made, and Mia turns to a friendly rowing instructor instead.  The characters in this book make the story, each with complexities and hidden secrets.  Narration is also good at adding interest.  Give this one a try--it won't disappoint!
A woman wakes up on a beach with complete amnesia and has to piece together her life again, but she keeps having disturbing flashbacks which make her think that perhaps her accident wasn't an accident at all.

It was an entertaining thriller, I enjoyed listening to the audiobook and the narrator did a very good job, but there were no real surprises in the plot and I was sure fairly early on who was to blame for the accident, for me it was more a question of uncovering why.
Mia has washed ashore and she has absolutely no memories. She doesn’t know who she is or how she ended up on the beach. But, as her flashbacks start to fill in the gaps, she realizes there is no one she can trust. Not even herself.

This was almost a 5 star read for me. But, the main character, Mia, is just a bit too naive, especially at the beginning. Yes, I understand she lost her memories and that is one of the most appealing parts of the book. But, she is so trusting…not sure a true person in this situation would be so unquestioning about certain situations.

I flew through this book. I even listened at work (a rare occurrence!). But I truly had to find out where this story was going. Plus, the ending did surprise me…that’s rare too! This story is fast paced and definitely intriguing!

The narrator, Katie Villa, is fabulous! Great job on the pacing and all the different voices!

Need a unique thriller with a surprise ending…THIS IS IT! Grab your copy today!

I received this audiobook from the publisher for a honest review.
Mia finds herself washed up on a shore and cannot remember how she got there.  When claimed by her boyfriend, she hopes that her memories will start to come back.  Instead, she is haunted by images of an angry woman, and Mia is scared, not knowing who to trust.
​
Shalini Boland is one of my go-to authors when I need a thriller I know I will enjoy.  This book was certainly entertaining, though not my favorite of her books.  A large portion of the reveal seemed to have happened a little early in the book, so while I enjoyed the first half, the second half of the book was somewhat anticlimactic.
​
Thank you to the author, Bookouture Audio, and NetGalley for a copy of this audiobook in exchange for an honest review.  #NotesOnYourSuddenDisappearance #NetGalley
I absolutely loved this book.

I listened to the audiobook and I have been in such an audiobook slump, but this one got me right back on track!

It was full of suspense, different twists and turns, and the narrator was fantastic.

Definitely recommend the audiobook! Thanks to NetGalley for the audiobook copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.