Cover Image: The Roof Over Our Heads

The Roof Over Our Heads

A huge Thank You to The author, The publisher and NetGalley for providing the e-arc in exchange for an honest review.
Ahhhh!!! I'm in love. Really great book
This book is so much fun! I haven’t read many books set in Minnesota, and as a St Paul native with familiarity with the James J Hill house (which at least partially inspired the Jorgensen House), I was having such a fun time imagining the lives of the characters.

Personal connection aside, each of these characters is just so likable! Finn especially, a character who is juggling so much of not only his own issues, but taking on problems in other areas as well. I love the idea of an old mansion being a live-in historical experience and with the characters staging an authentic theater production in an effort to save the Jorgensen House, I was briefly tempted to look into acting myself. (Like Finn, however, I would struggle with memorizing lines.) Though the story focuses on Finn, I do like that we get little stories from everyone who has banded together in this production. Rather than being just names on a page, Kronzer introduces each member of the cast and includes their lives in the story as well.

Every aspect of this book, from the descriptions to the characters to the house itself felt familiar to me, as though I was the invisible, silent audience that the crew at the House welcomed during their show. As a reader, you are welcomed in to the story. It is a fun, comforting read about the importance of family and the meaning of home.
“The story of this house had been started by the Jorgensens, but we were characters in that story, too. We couldn’t lose it.”

Many teens spend their summers before senior year of high school traveling or at the beach or hanging out with friends. Not Finn Turner. He’s spending two weeks of his summer vacation putting on an immersive Victorian show in the historic mansion his family lives in. They’re desperate to save the only home they’ve ever known, but despite Finn’s entire family being actors, he always seems to have trouble remembering his lines. Still, this is their only chance, and Finn is determined to do what it takes. But with things going wrong, his longtime rival Jade seemingly everywhere, and his crush too busy to connect with him, Finn is in for an exciting two weeks. Will they manage to save the house in time? Or will everything come crashing down…maybe even literally?

As a theatre nerd, I absolutely loved this book! As a Victorian nerd, I absolutely loved this book! And as a book nerd, I absolutely loved this book! THE ROOF OVER OUR HEADS is such a fun romp with moments that simultaneously made me laugh out loud and wrenched my heart. All of the characters are very fleshed out and realistic, and I felt like they might jump off the page. Plus, the concept of the play is so unique! I wish I could both act in and see a play like this! Need a book to warm you up during these chilly winter months? Then find yourself a copy of THE ROOF OVER OUR HEADS right away and immerse yourself in Nicole Kronzer’s incredible story!

Content Warnings: Mild language, character with cancer, homophobia, mentioned racism and sexism, blood, theatrical murder, mentioned abandonment

THE ROOF OVER OUR HEADS by Nicole Kronzer releases January 3, 2023 from Amulet Books.

(Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Any quotes are taken from an advanced copy and may be subject to change upon final publication.)
Thank you to #NetGalley, Nicole Kronzer, and the publisher of the book for the eARC copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Our main character FInn lives in a family of actors! One of his moms is an actor and the other is a director. His brothers are also both actors. They live in one of the best neighborhoods in the Minnesota that is home to one of the best theater regions. Soon though a new director moves to town and threatens to sell the only home Finn has known? Will he and his family be able to get through it?

I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. I was in theater in high school but I was more on the backstage crew. The flow of the book was great and I think others will really like it!
Fun book combining 1900 House vibes with theatre. Lots of characters and a more philoshophical twist makes this a bit more appealing to high school rather than middle school readers, but if there's a lot of interest in theater, this might work for your younger crowd as well.
This was a charming read. I really enjoyed the concept and thought the characters had true depth and heart.
So I really wish I could actually see the play in this book? That was my main thought throughout. This was a really beautiful read and really surprising as well. I knew I would enjoy it I think, but I didn't think it would worm its way into my heart the way it did. I loved how meaningful all the relationships felt and how the characters were deeper than originally thought. They definitely grew on me as the story continued. This book is simply charming and a nice addition to the Ya contemporary space!
A book about life goals, determined to do so much, not asking for help, not allowing others to help, forgetting that goals change, and not opening up about real feelings. The good news is that this is all done in a light, easy read with a few surprises. The story is very enjoyable and I only wish that I could have seen the production they put on and tasted the food!
Thanks to Abrams Kids + Amulet books for the e-publicity copy of THE ROOF OVER OUR HEADS, by Nicole Kronzer, expected pub date January 3, 2023.

THE ROOF OVER OUR HEADS is an incredible ode to family, theater, and the power of relationships.
What starts off as a fun theater story of saving a historical house (MN friends, you'll totally feel like you're on Summit Ave with this one) through an immersive Victorian theater experience becomes a story of growth, self-realization, family bonds, the power of friendship, and thoughtful explorations into relationships that weren't accepted in the Victorian era including racism and LGBTQIAP+.

Definitely put this one on your TBR - it's one I'll be recommending for sure.
The Roof Over Our Heads by Nicole Kronzer is a fun, entertaining book. My impression was that I would have liked it better if it had been a film rather than a book. The character of the house (as well as the image of the costumes) would have been much more impressive if we had been able to see it rather than imagine within the boundaries of Finn's description.
     At the beginning of the book I was not drawn to any of the characters. In fact, the male protagonist was more than a little irritating and seemed to whine and pout far too much. But as the book went along, Finn seemed to have character development and growth and got to be much more likeable.  I liked that there were several strong female characters and that the LGBTQ relationships were just as deep and meaningful as the heterosexual  relationships rather than superficial and strictly physical.
Thank you NetGalley and ABRAMS Kids, Amulet Books for allowing me to read a copy of this ARC in exchange for an honest review. All the views and opinions expressed in this review are purely my own and not affiliated with any brand.

I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. I'm not someone who is into the theater scene and wasn't in theater in school. But Nicole Kronzer writes a story that is easy for anyone to follow, even if you know little about theater. The characters were all very likable and relatable. The life issues were also very relevant to todays struggles. Overall, this was a fast read and a very enjoyable book. Would recommend to a friend.

P.S. I wish I could actually see the play described in the book!
Note: I received an Advanced Reader Copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I simply could not put this down once I started it! From diverse representation to familial love to a sweet romance, this book is perfect for someone looking for something lighthearted that makes you feel good. This book will make you remember that family includes those you meet along the way who care for you, and that it is always growing.
Another strong and refreshing part of this book is reading a from a male character’s POV as he engages in acts that are typically seen as more effeminate (cooking, theater, dancing, etc) yet no one questions his masculinity or assumes he has yet to discover himself. This book is everything my inner high school self needed to read.
I loved, loved, loved the concept of this book. I excessively googled to see if there was an experience like this near me. I wasn’t shocked to see there wasn’t. At first I hated the way Finn treated Jade but I eventually moved past that aspect. He is a teenage boy after all. I honestly can’t stop thinking about how badly I want to go to a b&b with this immersive concept. I think the details and sticking to the time period was done extremely well. As someone with a significant vision impairment, I appreciated that people were able to keep their glasses! I told a few of my friends about this book and they are incredibly excited to read it when it comes out next year.