Cover Image: Where the Lost Ones Go

Where the Lost Ones Go

Thank you, Macmillan Children's Publishing Group, for allowing me to read Where the Lost Ones Go early.

This middle grade story is a gem! Elliot's grief splashed of the pages and made this story poignant and heartbreaking at times. A wonderful addition to this genre and actually recommended for all ages.
Where the Lost Ones Go is about twelve year old Eliot who's recently lost her grandmother and has been forced to move to the opposite coast. Eliot already has an interest in the paranormal and after a dare to knock on the door of a "cursed" house in her new town, Eliot stumbles on to a way she thinks she may be able to contact her grandmother's ghost and get the goodbye she's been wanting for.

Eliot is a very strong little girl and her desperation to be able to say goodbye and make sure her grandmother remembers her is just as strong to read about. Hazel and Eliot's friendship and the solace they find in each other was so sweet and the way the story progresses leaves you feeling for both of them. I could tell how it was going to end pretty much right from the beginning, but this is meant for older kids/young teenagers so that's understandable and did not at all take away from my enjoyment of the book.

This story was lovingly bittersweet in the best way and I was crying by the end. I liked how the story was not only about grief and moving forward but also about loneliness and how you deal with it as a family and a friend.

Thank you to NetGalley and Macmillan Children's Publishing Group for making this available in exchange for an honest review!
Akemi Dawn Bowman is one of my favorite authors who is on my autobuy list. I love her writing style and how much emotion she captures in her writing. I can always relate to the characters as well. Even though this book is a middle grade title, grief is explored beautifully and written so well. I like how the author doesn’t dumb down the book for a middle grade audience as well. This book can really be enjoyed by all ages! Thank you so much to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of an arc in return for an honest review!