Cover Image: The Bodyguard

The Bodyguard

This was really fun. If you are in the mood for a light rom-com, this is a good choice.

Review copy provided by publisher.
Absolutely loved this book. Hannah is a bodyguard. Let’s stop there for a second. Tiny female bodyguard trained in jujitsu? Yes!! When she is tasked with protecting a reclusive actor named Jack, Hannah is pushed into a situation where her detachment is pushed aside.

I love that this book doesn’t follow a typical romance arc. It is realistic and the characters are believable.

Thank you to Macmillan Audio and Netgalley for this ARC listen. The narrator was perfect in this audiobook.

I didn't like this book...I LOVED IT!! I love that Hannah and I were talking things through out the whole book, it made me really feel part of the story. I laughed so much during listening to this book. The Bodyguard has been one of my absolute favorites this year. If funny, snappy, pop culture filled dialogue is your jam, this is it!! An amazing feel good, funny story The Bodyguard checks all this boxes and then some...
The Bodyguard by Katherine Center

You’d never guess it by looking at her, but Hannah Brooks is the ultimate executive protector agent  (yep the bodyguard). Short and sweet, she doesn’t seem the type who could take down an armed attacker. Though she has the skills to do so, her ability to read the situation and plan for potential threat means she rarely has to use her jujitsu or other skills.

This makes her the perfect protector for Jack Stapleton, a famous and of course gorgeous movie star.

Hannah’s job: to pose as Jack’s girlfriend and help keep his risk of harm low as he visits his estranged family home. How hard could this be?  Living in a family home, sleeping in a double bed with a overly hot movie star? Hannah struggles to remain professionally detached from him and his lovely family.

But it’s not all sunshine and roses.

Neither Hannah nor Jack is a stranger to the life-altering effects of loss. Their coping methods are a little different: Hannah buries herself in her work and Jack withdraws from the world.

And the threat to Jack, not an imaginary thing.

I loved this book. First, Hannah remains dedicated to her career, not abandoning her dream for a man. Second, Jack isn’t without his flaws. Third, the author seemingly anticipates my questions as I’m reading, filling in the details at the right time. It’s indescribable really, her timing and her ability to move the plot. Finally, narrator Patti Murin lends her outstanding voice to this book giving additional life to the characters

My rating 5* minus .25* for a ridiculously long epilogue. Goodreads 5* StoryGraph 4.75. Posting to Ig @foldingthepage soon!

Recommended for readers who like a strong female lead and are looking for an action filled romcom, light on overly descriptive intimate scenes.

Thank you @Netgalley and @macmillan.audio for this advance audio copy
Hannah Brooks is having a rough week.  A rough month even. The day after her mother's funeral her boyfriend dumps her and her best friend takes her spot in an overseas position for their company. Now she finds herself acting as a Bodyguard for the famous actor,  Jack Stapleton. To make everything worse, he demands she keeps her position secret while visiting his family so now she's his acting girlfriend.  What could wrong?

I was able to listen to the audiobook of The Bodyguard and it was phenomenal. I couldn't stop once it was started.

This is such a fun romcom. I definitely laughed my way through the book and I couldn't stop picturing this as a movie. It would be phenomenal. While Hannah is not your stereotypical Bodyguard she takes her job seriously but she's never been in a situation quite like this before.

Jack and Hannah had some great chemistry and it was super enjoyable witnessing their story unfold. And their shade throwing at "Bobby" was maybe my favorite.

Thanks @netgalley and McMillan Audio for the audiobook! It was great!
This is my first book by this author, thanks bookstagram. Listened to this one on audio. Hannah is an executive protection agent (bodyguard) and her next job is to protect a famous movie star. This was a cute rom-com. There were some good lol moments and was also heartfelt. Looking forward to reading Things You Save In a Fire next by her🙌

Thanks to Netgalley for my free advance reader copy in exchange for my review.

Publication Date: July 19, 2022
This book is sweet, laugh out loud funny, and a great lower stakes read! I loved that it featured a gender swapped version of the bodyguard trope. It had enough substance, humor, and character development to keep me from wanting to hit the pause button. Felt like, once again, this was written to be adapted into a screenplay and missed some opportunities to be the best book it could be. I’ve felt this way about several books I’ve read lately and I am starting to wondering if this is a “me problem”. That being said, it would make an A+ PG-13 Rom Com and I would definitely watch it.

Thank you to the publisher, author and NetGalley for this ALC!

Content Warnings: Cancer, Death of a family member, Domestic Violence
If you’re looking for a summer beach read, this rom com is the book for you! I enjoyed this unique feel-good take on the bodyguard/celebrity fake relationship trope. Hannah and Jake had great chemistry so I was rooting for them all the way. The book was even better listening to Patti Murin’s sublime narration!
Thanks to the author, MacMillan audio & NetGalley for this advance listener copy.
I'm a big fan of Katherine Center so I was excited to listen to The Bodyguard. She consistently writes strong yet relateable female lead roles.

While this is in the romance genre, it's also about personal growth, self-acceptance and self-care. The characters become better versions of themselves and discover their true potential along the way.

There's very little smut so it's good for teens. Easy listening and terrific narration. Enjoyed the witty banter and "frenemies" premise.

It's no mystery how the book ends, but I enjoyed the experience and recommend it as a great beach read this summer.

Special thanks to Macmillan Audio for an advanced listener copy via the NetGalley app.
The Bodyguard
A Novel
by Katherine Center
Narrated by Patti Murin

I received a digital copy of this audiobook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first book I have read by this author and if they are all like this I have been missing out. I laughed out loud, I smiled and I even gained some life philosophies that I’m sure I’ll be thinking about for a while.

This story is irreverently and pragmatically told to the reader by the heroine. Here we have a female bodyguard/fake girlfriend scenario semi-on par with Miss Congeniality which also takes place primarily in Texas. There’s the thread of what’s real and what’s not while we’re pretending, with the stakes raised by the fact that the hero is a top tier movie star heart throb. I appreciated that the author did not go overboard on this concept though by dwelling on it overmuch as can sometimes happen with this trope. Hannah was so “real” and admirably practical if awkward through everything in a way that I at least found endearing and relatable.

There is not a lot of steam. Closed door. Only some making out with no petting and one F word that I can recall and honestly I’m a non-curser but I felt the situation made it entirely reasonable. The relationship building and cast of characters were fascinating and there was just enough action. Great book. Excellent sound quality and narration. The narrator was absolutely perfect in the role of Hannah.
5/5
I absolutely loved this!  It’s funny and real without being whiny.  This is a story written for anyone who has ever fantasized over a celebrity.
The Bodyguard genuinely blew me away! Hannah Brooks is a bodyguard—she’s just lost her mom and her boyfriend just broke up with her and now she’s assigned to be a security detail for celebrity Jack Stapleton, only he doesn’t want his family to know she’s a bodyguard so instead she has to pretend to be his girlfriend. The writing is flawless. It’s fresh and engaging and funny while also taking on Hannah’s loss and self consciousness. There were moments that felt predictable and moments I really didn’t expect, and I loved every second. I loved the banter and dynamic between Jack and Hannah. I liked the depth of Jack’s relationship with his family and I love what Hannah and Jack brought out in each other. This book just felt refreshing. I usually take some time to get through an audiobook but I didn’t want to stop listening with this one! I needed to know where the story would go next. I loved Hannah is so resilient and strong and that she was in the bodyguard role, and I adored her moments of vulnerability. She’s stubborn and tough and I loved seeing her break through that shell. And Jack was genuine and witty. This story came together just in such a wonderful way and I loved every moment! I was laughing out loud with this one and just smiling so hard through it.

This is my first Katherine Center book, and I will be back for more, especially in the audio format, which is how I experienced this one.

Hannah, the m.c., is a bodyguard who swears up and down that she is excellent at her job, but this seems impossible because she misses some EXTREMELY IMPORTANT hints about some of the folks who are in her life. Of course, the benefit of this situation is that readers get to watch Hannah grow, but I could never shake the somewhat frightening misses she displays at the start of the novel and, well, later, too.

This frustration aside, I found myself rooting for this character all along. I love the swapping of traditional roles here with Hannah as the bodyguard who does the protecting. Also, while she should have caught some major clues at multiple points, she has some tough breaks. Readers are likely to feel invested in her wins.

For me, Hannah's growth is much more gripping than the romance component. There aren't many surprises here, but folks who are interested in the synopsis will find a nicely articulated version of what they were looking for overall.
A cute and funny rom com that was great to listen too as the narrators really brought the characters to life. Well-developed characters that you got to see grow and evolve throughout the story into even better people. Lots of wit and real-life issues set in an imaginary world to entertain for hours. This was a fun listen that kept my attention so much so that I ended up listening well after arriving home to finish the story rather than turning on the tv. I look forward to reading or rather listening to more stories from this author!
4.5 stars. Another strong one from Katherine Center. Her book are romance with substance in the most wonderful way. Hannah Brooks is a relatable and likeable lead who is an Executive Protection Agent (a bodyguard). Her assignment, actor Jack Stapleton, has an interesting storyline, and I enjoyed reading about his journey toward acceptance and forgiveness. Finally, I especially loved Center's last few paragraphs before the epilogue on the importance of self-love.
I didn't expect to love this book as much as I did, and considering I already thought The Bodyguard sounded pretty good that says a lot. At one point I was listening to it while trying to fall asleep (bad idea, I was too interested to fall asleep) and I accidentally woke up my husband because the book made me snort unexpectedly. It swear I was smiling half the time I was listening to it.
Center managed to touch on a few difficult subjects (which I'll put below because maybe spoiler?) while still keeping the overall feel of the book very light. It kind of reminded me of Abby Jimenez's writing style.

TW:
Grief, guilt caused from grief, gaslighting, mentions domestic violence
Thanks to NetGalley and Katherine Center for an audiobook advanced copy.

I absolutely love Katherine Center’s writing. Her characters are relatable. Her stories are entertaining and fun. This book falls into that category. I always look forward to her next book and this one didn’t disappoint.

As for the narrator, Patti Murin, she is one of my favorites. Her voice is easy to listen to and easy to understand.
HI KATHERINE CENTER I LOVE YOU AND YOUR BOOKS!!!!!

Katherine's writing is like a warm hug. The smell of fresh bread. It's cozy, comforting and welcoming. Her humor comes through the pages. The characters literally jump off the page and into your heart.

I absolutely ADORED this book!
My Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

My thoughts: I LOVE KATHERINE CENTER! I listened to this audiobook in like 1.5 days, pretty much just ignored my family to listen any chance I got. Am I surprised? No. I will read (and/or listen to) anything this woman writes!

The story follows bodyguard (ahem, Executive Protection Agent) Hannah Brooks who, following her mother's death and a bad breakup, is anxious to be assigned somewhere far away. Instead, she's assigned to protect heartthrob actor Jack Stapleton right at home in Texas. To make matters worse, she has to pose as Jack's girlfriend when they travel to be with his sick mother. Hannah's a bit of a workaholic and keeps herself pretty closed off from others, but quickly finds that Jack has a way of breaking down her walls...

So good! At first I was a little worried Hannah wouldn't be a very likeable character, but the more we got inside her head and saw some of her vulnerabilities, the more I liked and related to her. And Jack...swoon. So charming and sexy, and the way he wanted to protect Hannah, even though that was HER job.  I loved their banter and chemistry, and

The audio narration was on point, Katherine Center's writing never, ever fails and I just loved everything about this story.  Highly recommend The Bodyguard.  Thank you to Macmillan Audio, NetGalley and the author for an advanced copy!  Time well spent!
Just so silly. katherine center's book are too.. YA but write them with full blown adults. A Corgi breeder stalker. "Unlovable" trope. The drama was so silly. It's just too.. cutesy. And no chemistry. No steam.

The audio sounded like it was recorded in a tin can. I'm sure they'll work those kinks out. The narrator was fine!