Cover Image: Better Broths & Healing Tonics

Better Broths & Healing Tonics

Two things instantly appealed to me: Broths are really the next wave in nutrition and each recipe showed what was healthful about the ingredients. Simple and easy to follow, Better Broths & Healing Tonics should be on everyone's kitchen shelves! A perfect gift.
There is information about broth recipes everywhere nowadays, and yes you can find recipes online, but nothing like what this book provides. I enjoyed the book, starting some of the sweet broth now. Lots of great information and great recipes, not just for making broth, but main and side dishes that uses the broth you made. This is one I'd like to have a physical copy of to refer to again and again.
This is an informative book with a lot of recipes for broths, drinks and recipes using broths. It's from the authors of the Younger You series with a focus on what foods help you in what ways. I appreciated the coding at the end of each recipe telling you what diets it was suitable for (vegan, keto, paleo, dairy free, etc.) and the tips on how to substitute in some cases to make it fit your needs. They give instructions for pots, slow cookers and Instant Pots, which I appreciated. My favorite part was the top of each recipe that told which ingredients helped you in which way, with specific chemicals, vitamins and amino acids mentioned instead of the vague stuff like "heart healthy."

All that said, this really felt more like a chapter that had been expanded into a book. As such, there's really no excuse to have so few photos of the recipes or to not have nutritional contents for the recipes.

The start of the book has a lot of information about what ingredients help you, then there are basic recipes for a handful of broths (bone broth, vegetable broth, etc.) and then chapters making soups, drinks, recipes, etc. with those basic broths. Some of the recipes are sweet ones like stewed apples that use the broths as bases. I can see how this would up the nutrition in a lot of recipes, especially for people who are healing their guts and immune systems. I don't know that I need a full cookbook for this though -- I'd just use homemade broths in place of the liquid in my cooking and obviously you match tastes up to what's going to work well.

I make a lot of healing drinks and broths myself, using ingredients like nettles, wild mushrooms, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, etc. I didn't get anything new from this book but I am a lot farther on the path of using these ingredients daily for health than many people are. It will be a good resource for many folks who are looking to incorporate really healthy ingredients into their drinks and recipes.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for review.
Better Broths & Healing Tonics was informative as I have been very interested in varying broths. I did find myself wishing for more visuals though.

A sincere thank you to NetGalley and Hachette Books for providing me an advanced copy of “Better Broths & Healing Tonics” in exchange for an honest review. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to read this story and leave my review voluntarily.
This is a must-have resource to help one improve one's health. It is full of great strategies, advice, and easy to implement ideas. This is one I'll return to again and again. Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.
Better Broths & Healing Tonics is an excellent resource that I can easily implement into my vegan lifestyle. While this is not a Vegan/Plant-Based only cookbook, there are sections dedicated to vegetable based broths and each recipe clearly marks which lifestyle/diet it would fit in (and for anyone that is used to or knows their way around substitutions many non-veg recipes can easily be converted to a plant-based option). This book was informative about the ingredients and their benefits and made that information easily accessible without it feeling like schoolwork.

Store bought broths are great in a pinch, but for a long time I have wanted to incorporate making my own to be more in control of flavors and what is going into my body. Better Broths & Tonics is descriptive and has enough information to make this doable.

The only thing that I would like to see is more pictures! I am a very visual person and I eat with my eyes first, seeing the recipes as they should look is the first thing that draws me in.
Thank you to NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest review!

Beautiful clean work- tried a few of the tonics- the lavender infusion was my fave! Love finding uses for common herbs that are easily available or simple to grow. I’m expanding my own herb garden so I’d label this as beginner to intermediate skill wise for herbal lovers! Buying a physical copy soon to reference back to!