Cover Image: A Harvest Murder

A Harvest Murder

I am not a big fan of Cosy mysteries. They are mostly sedate with not much of a thrill. But A Harvest Murder is different from the other cosy mystery I have read till now.

The story has a precise premise and the story comes full circle from start to finish. It also never deviates from the pattern it sets itself at the onset of the story. There are a couple of mysteries which take place in the village and the sleuthing ametuer group reconvene to find out what really happened.

They also manage to do that without being insensible and/ or acting out of their purview of limitations. I love the history shared by the main characters and liked knowing where they are in their personal lives now. Evesham is an author whom I  definitely won't mind reading more of.
What a cute cozy mystery. If you enjoy cozy mysteries, I think you will enjoy this one. It is interesting but a little slow at times. The mystery was well plotted and the characters enjoyable. Well done.
Fun cosy crime read, with a touch of romance.

This is the 3rd in the series - I’ve read the 1st and although this is written like a standalone novel, I think if I’d read both previous books I would have enjoyed this more - feel like I may have missed some background from the previous story in the series.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my review.
When curmudgeon farmer Joe Trevillion disappears, returns and suddenly dies, ex-detective Adam Hennessy and his pals search for answers.  While Adam, Steph, Imogene and Dan search for clues in Joe's death, odd incidents begin happening to Dan. A fire in his studio, splashed paint on his exhibited paintings and other disturbing things happen, Adam worries about his friend and who could be behind these threats. I've enjoyed other books by Frances Evesham, but have not read this series before. Very enjoyable and look forward to others in the series.
I enjoyed book three in the Ham Hill Mystery series. I read the first one but not the second but will do so. This is a short quick read, not complicated. Lower Hembrow reminds me of the village of Ambridge on The Archers but with murders added in. The only thing that bugged me a bit was Dan’s guilt trip, it was a bit much, especially for no real reason.
I have also read a book in the author’s other series which is very similar. This was an easy read and I liked it.
A Harvest Murder is one of those books that the minute you begin reading you just know you’re in for a great read. I really enjoy a well written cosy mystery, you really get involved with the relationships. This little band of sleuthing villagers are just wonderful people. There’s Friendship, love, not love, a bit of jealously and a bit of superb country life thrown in. It has it all and the perfect murder included, what could go wrong? Well seemingly quite a lot.

This is an utterly engrossing read with plenty of mystery and strange goings on. A village full of people who know everything about everyone until there’s death and strange disappearances. Then no one has a clue yet they all have an opinion. Adam and his friends need to get to the bottom of everything, if only to stop the rumour mill spinning out of control. What they unearth is quite something, but oh no I’m not falling into that trap of telling you what. This is where you get a copy and do some digging for yourself.

Frances Evesham is great at evoking a sense of place and the people with it that place. Everything is written with a gentle quality that draws you right in. This book is a case of not only wanting to find out why a death occurred but also about the fabulous characters within this beautiful Somerset countryside. I loved it. Every single brilliantly written page. Epic!
A Harvest Murder is the third of the Ham Hill mysteries. It can be read as a stand-alone, but I think, like most series, you get a fuller feel for the characters if you read them in order.

We have two mysteries here. The first is the missing farmer. It’s no surprise he ends up dead – the title is A Harvest Murder – but who killed him is unclear. The second mystery is who is harassing Dan, the local artist. First, one of his donkeys is kidnapped and brought back, then one of his paintings in a gallery is destroyed.

Our sleuths are Imogen, who owns the local hotel, and former detective, Adam, who owns a local bar. A lot of the scenes take place in those locations, where people gather and talk and air their suspicions. The mysteries are well done, with several clues and enough suspects to keep you guessing. The townsfolk are a typically mixed bunch of nosy do-gooders, gossipers, and those trying to keep their secrets out of the public eye, which is almost impossible in a small town.

The one thing that both annoys and charms me is our sleuths’ love lives. Imogen is dating Dan. Adam is dating the fourth member of their team, Steph. It’s a little too sweet, too perfect. And of course, they’re all four nice and smart and work well together. On the other hand, the ending made me smile, so what do I know.

A Harvest Murder is a typical British cozy mystery. It’s a very seasonal mystery, one to read in the fall, with its Cider Festival and Guy Fawkes night.
5 Word Review: Community, secrets, family, mystery, belonging.
Grab yourself a nice hot drink and settle down for a cosy mystery that's all about community spirit. I kind of wish I'd read this in autumn, as the setting is perfect for getting you ready for fall. It may be midsummer but I am ready for cold rain and falling leaves.

I'm pretty sure this is apart of a series, but I don't feel that I've lost out by reading A Harvest Murder by as a standalone. The characters were fleshed out with history and their own stories and dramas. I feel like Adam was the main character, but his narrative time is shared with his friends so much that's it's more an ensemble. And I loved it, I loved the variety of perspectives we saw.

I loved all of the small dramas that thread through the story, the messiness of personal relationships, friendships and family life. So much is happening that you can't help but keep reading - you need to know how it's all going to end.

I loved the setting, the way that the village itself was almost a character, and particularly the hotel. I loved how much care the proprietor Imogen put into the place and its grounds, how generous she was with her time. The setting is so idyllic, and I want to go and have a pint in The Plough.

This is perfect for fans of Midsomer Murders who are looking to get their teeth into a new mystery, and it is very very British. And I will definitely be reading more by Frances Evesham.
I'm always happy to travel to Ham Hill  and catch up with Adam, Imogen, Steph, and Dan. This is one of my favorite series and I always throughly enjoy this stories.
This is one is a bit darker and complex than usual as past and present mixes and some changes in the autum air bring the series to a new stage.
I had a lot of fun, read it in one sitting, and the solid mystery kept me guessing.
I wish I was in Somerset in autumn as the weather would surely be nicer. The lovely setting, the quirky inhabitants, and the well developed plot are compelling and entertaining.
It was a good read, and I enjoyed it. I can't wait to read the next novel in this series and I'm sure there will be a lot of exciting news.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to Boldwood Books, Rachel's Random Resources, and Netgalley for this arc, all opinions are mien
You don’t need to have read either of the two previous Ham Hill Murder Mysteries to enjoy A Harvest Murder but, having read and enjoyed A Racing Murder last year, I was thrilled to pop back to Lower Hembrow to see what was going on with Imogen, Adam and the crew.

Sadly, all is not well. One of the couples who seemed to be growing closer previously is fraying around the edges and one of the local farmers is having trouble in his business and his marriage. Then there is a disappearance, and Imogen and Adam’s detective instincts are on high alert again to get to the bottom of what is going on. As is typically the case in small villages, rumours and gossip abounds, feuds and rivalries raise their heads and it takes some digging to get to the truth. And there are donkeys. Sounds like a great read, doesn’t it?

Well, it is and I was not at all disappointed by my second foray into the world of this small Somerset village and all the deadly goings on. I love a cosy murder mystery and this author has managed again to incorporate all the elements that make these types of story so appealing. Great setting that you might want to move to if it were a real place (and people didn’t keep getting murdered in the vicinity!); fantastic characters in whose lives you are really invested and who have fully rounded experiences; twisty, turny plot that you are eager to unravel; great pacing that keeps you glued to the page; flowing writing that is easy to read.

After reading two book I can safely say I have become a huge fan of this series and I am eager for the next one to come out. A fast, fun read that was a welcome change from my recent diet of romcoms and something I can highly recommend. Will appeal to fans of Midsomer Murders and Miss Marple.
Although I have read other books by Frances Evesham, this was the first book in this series that I read.  I enjoyed getting to know the characters, there was an interesting plot with some twists and turns, and all this in a great setting.  I will make it a point to go back and read the first two books in the series.
What an enthralling read this proved to be
I hope you read it yourself and find you agree!
For my complementary copy, I say thank you,
As I share with you this, my honest review

It was great to return to this Somerset village again
Though there are many things the sleuths can't explain
A disappearing farmer and a disappearing donkey, too -
What's happening? Can the friends find a clue?

Get ready for a mysterious, vindictive campaign,
A huge falling out the others can't explain
Romance and proposals may be planned but
Life's interventions may mean they'll have to be cut.

A visiting son, a murder, new project, too,
A break up and possible romance that's new.
Along with the investigations the dangers grow
Who can you trust - and what should you know?

The need to be honest about events in the past
Mean until the truth is told discord will last.
Only by honestly investigating events can the truth be revealed
And help bring into the open the dangers previously concealed.
Set in the village of Lower Hembrow, the Streamside Hotel is owned by Imogen Bishop who inherited it when her father died. Adam Hennessey is an ex-DCI from Birmingham who retired early from the police after a raid ended in tragedy and who subsequently bought The Plough Inn in the village. Old habits die hard though and he just cannot resist dabbling in a mystery. Adam and Imogen have become great friends and already have a shared history due to being involved in solving two murder cases, including that of Imogen’s husband’s murder, together with their two other friends, journalist Steph (who Adam is happily dating) and artist Daniel Freeman (for whom Imogen has held a torch for years but wonders if he will ever put her before his painting). Once again Imogen has been persuaded to host a village event, this time the Apple Day festival after another venue pulled out suddenly, when village shopkeeper Edwina Topsham asks Adam (in his role as ex-detective to all things in the village from missing dogs to murder) to look into the disappearance to farmer and father of six Joe. He left the pub on Sunday night and has not been seen since, although rumour has it he could just be avoiding his battle-axe mother-in-law and will turn up sooner or later. He does indeed return but there is an almighty shock in store when he does. Meanwhile another character from the village also vanishes and then returns with a sinister threatening message attached. Soon the team of four sleuths uncover something rather nasty and even deadly in their lovely chocolate box village which is too close for comfort.
This is a charming cosy murder mystery set in a picturesque village in Somerset with a cast of wonderful and sometimes eccentric people, although for me the star of the show is still Harley the dog. Adam and Imogen make a fantastic detective partnership in this gentle yet totally engrossing story where all the characters are very well described with plenty of background history given where required so this book can easily be enjoyed as a stand-alone without needing to read books one and two first (although I definitely recommend you do!). A great way to lose yourself in a story you won’t want to put down until you’ve finished. 5*
The Annual Apple festival should be a time of joy but when a murder, the disappearance and reappearance of a donkey and vandalsim of an artists display occur tensions rise and Adam and his friends find themselves struggling to discover who is behind these events

Thank you to Netgalley for an arc of this cosy village mystery
Imogen finds out that Roger Masters has backed out of having the Apple Festival at his place, and the Vicar Helen asked Imogen to host it at the hotel.  They seem to be having troubles at the Trevillian farm, and Joe has disappeared.  Jenny has been drinking, and her mother, who is very critical of Joe has been helping.   Adam, Steph, and Imogen have been trying to find out what happened at the farm and where Joe has gone.   They haven't made much progress by the time of the Apple Festival, where all is well except that Dan (Imogen's man) is late coming because one of his donkeys has disappeared.   When Imogen begins scolding him for being late, he leaves.  A little later, Joe shows up, although he doesn't look good and suddenly drops to the ground dead.

Meanwhile, Dan's son Pierre arrives to visit him.  However, someone is really messing with Dan.  First the missing donkey who reappears after a few days, then someone damages a couple of his paintings just before the big exhibit, and then his house is burned down.  However, the sleuthing group finally figure out who is after Dan, and what happened to Joe.  Along the way another unhappy man is about to murder Imogen!

This is a very enjoyable series, and I look forward to the next episode!  I thank Netgalley and Boldwood Books for the ARC allowing me to give an honest review.
I received this ARC via Netgalley and Boldwood Books, in return for an honest review. While the third book in this series, it is easily read as a standalone.  A modern English village cozy mystery with an interesting set of lead characters.  Two men and two women form the core group, including a retired DCI turned publican who provides the necessary technical experience for the quartet to resolve crimes in the local area.  Lovely visit to the English countryside and I look forward to the next in this series.
This delightful third installment in the Ham Hill mystery series set in the small community of Lower Hembrow in sleepy Somerset sees Imogen busy setting up for the Apple Day festival at the hotel, in light of the previous premises falling through, particularly after the success of the Spring Fair. With the help of the locals and the effervescent vicar, they are able to have everything in place within a week. Of course Imogen asks her artist boyfriend Dan for his help and he agrees, but on the day despite having set several alarm clocks to ensure his early arrival, he fails to show and Imogen is not best pleased.

However, unbeknownst to Imogen, when Dan was preparing to leave he discovered one of his beloved donkeys was missing and spent the next several hours searching to no avail. He arrives at the Streamside Hotel for the festivities but Imogen is angry at his tardiness yet again and refuses to listen to his excuses. Without waiting to be berated even more, Dan turns and leaves the hotel and the Apple Day festival to return to his studio some miles away.

Meanwhile, local farmer Joe Trevillian has disappeared after a row with his wife and a night of drinking at The Plough, leaving his wife and six children with a farm to run. Gossip is rife in the village as everyone has their own theories on where Joe might have run off to when he suddenly reappears at the Apple Day festivities. But before he can shed any light on where he's been he drops dead in front of Imogen. Now the gossip grapevine runs hots throughout the village with the news. But what happened to Joe Trevillian in those missing days? Could they shed any light on the reason for his sudden death?

When a post mortem reveals he had been poisoned, Adam (the owner of The Plough) and his partner Steph begin to toss ideas as to when and how the poisoning occurred...and ultimately, the question that remained. Who?

But life is far from quiet in what is thought to be a sleepy village as Dan finds himself the target of someone who appears to have it in for him. First his donkey Smash had disappeared...only to reappear a few days later with no explanation as to what occurred. Then his paintings were vandalised in a gallery and his studio is then burnt to the ground. Who has it in for him? And why?

A HARVEST MURDER is the delightful third book in this cosy mystery series where we meet up with Imogen, Adam, Dan and Steph once again, as well as all the various other locals that pop up. As with the previous mysteries, it is a very easy read involving all her characters in one way or another and engaging the reader from the start.

With a gentle pace, the reader is immersed into village life alongside the characters as the dramas inevitably unfold creating a mystery in which our sleuths cannot ignore. And there is plenty of drama, like a Midsomer Murders mystery, to keep readers entertained and the characters busy.

I liked how A HARVEST MURDER ended and I look forward to the next installment to see what's next for our our dynamic duo and their respective partners. Having enjoyed this series thus far, I have added Frances Evesham's Exham-on-Sea series to my ever growing TBR pile.

I would like to thank #FrancesEvesham, #Netgalley, #BoldwoodBooks and #RachelsRandomResources for an ARC of #AHarvestMurder in exchange for an honest review.

This review appears on my blog at https://stinathebookaholic.blogspot.com/.
A Harvest Murder is the first Ham Hill Murder Mystery I've read, but it was easy to get to know the four main characters and I'm sure other readers will be able to jump right in if they want to. Mind - there are a few references to the earlier books, so if you do, it might spoil your enjoyment of books 1 and 2 in the series.

I found the characters and the twin mysteries to be intriguing. The residents of Lower Hembrow are a typically mixed bunch of nosy do-gooders and those trying to keep their secrets just that, secret. Much of the action takes place in the local pub, listening to gossip from the locals, and if it's not at the pub, then it's at the local hotel, either on Cider Night or Guy Fawkes Night. The book feels very autumnal.

An enjoyable, cosy read that makes you think of toffee apples, and pumpkins. This won't be the only book in the series that I read.
In Lower Hembrow, an idyllic village nestled beneath Ham Hill in Somerset, the villagers are preparing to enjoy the autumn traditions of the rural English countryside until Joe Trevillion, a curmudgeonly local farmer and the father of six children, vanishes. When Adam Hennessy, the ex-detective proprietor of The Plough, the village's popular Inn, investigates. Meanwhile, a vicious campaign of vindictiveness forces Adam and his three amateur sleuth friends to dig deep into the secret lives of their neighbours to expose the source of a cruel vendetta and prevent another death.
This is the third book in the series & whilst it could easily be read on its own I’m loving how the characters are developing. Another well written engrossing read, there were twists & red herrings  & a delightful group of sleuths who worked together to solve not only a murder but also finding a missing donkey. There’s even a bit of romance. A delightful cosy mystery
My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read
I have read the first two books of this series and if I have to pick a favorite, I would say A Harvest Murder. What a fantastic, engrossing and completely entertaining cozy mystery. This is clearly one of the best cozy mysteries of 2022!

I  absolutely love Evesham's storytelling. Be it the characters, the setting, the mystery along with a dash of humor, Frances Evesham is one of the best cozy mystery authors ever!

We have four stories here: 1) Joe's missing 2) Adam's donkey goes missing and soon he learns someone's out there to get him - reason unknown 3) trouble in paradise - Imogen and Dan's relationship is in troubled waters 4) a murder during the festivities.

I was hooked on to the story until the end - so many incidents and mysteries, WOW! There were times when I felt Dan could make an effort and be good to Imogen - but when the twist was revealed in the second half of the book, I changed sides. *wink* This is called "never judge someone before knowing both sides of the story." Hmm...

The mystery behind Joe's disappearance and a murder at Apple Day - the events leading up to murder and finding the killer was shocking and totally unexpected. I just couldn't believe that a certain somebody was capable of murder.

I can go on and on and on, praising this book a gazillion times - and Frances truly deserves all the praise for writing such a fantabulous mystery. If you are looking for an engrossing and entertaining cozy