Cover Image: Off the Chain

Off the Chain

This was an extremely cute cozy mystery and the first in the series involving a vet clinic and the people working there.

This was my first Janice Thompson book, and I enjoyed the writing, the characters and their interactions which caused LOL moments for me.

I also loved how animals, specifically dogs, was center staged and played important roles in getting to the truth.

The love story developed sweetly.

Looking forward to more in this series.
Great well written cozy, but exciting mystery! Starts off exciting and ends exciting. Annnddd it’s funny too and very faith-based. So that is great to me! Loved this one by Janice Thompson. It’s also a series and has two more books ready for you to read, but written by different authors. I recommend Off The Chain to everyone, especially those who like inspirational, faith-based , cozy mysteries. Thank you to #NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read and review #OffTheChain with my honest thoughts and opinions.
I fell in love with the cover and think there's a lot of potential in this series. Unfortunately I was a big fan of the characters and found the dialogues a bit unrealistics
Not my cup of tea
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Fun, clean easy read book. Christian references but not "in your face". Characters are warm and show their Christianity and living by faith in their conversations and works. That it is dealing with stray animals and their plight is a bonus. The cover gives good synopsis, just get the book! Read and enjoyl ! I was provided an advanced reader copy of this book at my request. I was under no obligation to provide a review.  Many thanks to the author Barbour Publishing and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book. Looking forward to reading the sequels.
I admit that I can be hesitant when starting new series so I left this one in the "To Be Read' list.   Anytime a mystery involves dogs, it always catching my attention.

The book started fine but Marigold's confusing way of relating news and answering questions had me questioning if I should continue.  Thankfully, I kept reading and did enjoy the book.  Although the mystery was a bit weak in  my opinion as I thought the culprit was obvious, the characters kept me reading.

I'm looking forward to the next one the series.
This cover hooked me. It’s an adorable puppy.  In fact, it’s so adorable to me because my mom had one just like it!  They’re adorable and yeap high-dollar dogs for sure!

I loved the main character though at times I really wanted to give her a gentle and loving shake because hello how can you be so forgetful!

This is a cute and cozy mystery and the dog steals the show.  Well, for me at least.  While I did love the book there were a few things I was not highly in love with or rolled my eyes at.

Within the first few chapters, I definitely was done with our main character and her boy fixation.  She is constant about a crust of hers and all his good qualities.  I think I just found this too juvenile for the age she’s supposed to be.

This is a clean book though.  Nothing questionable. It’s a Christian fiction where as most cozy mysteries just might hint at but not really be, this one has lots of good references.

I really did enjoy this book and can’t wait to see what comes next.  My older teenagers are also loving the book though I think they’re skimming over all the “oh he’s so great blah blah blah” bits.

I have voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from Celebrate Lit. All views expressed are only my honest opinion. I was not required to write a positive review nor was I compensated in any other way. All opinions expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the FTC regulations.
#Netgalley Overall, this was a good easy read. I wish there was some more romance in it and a little more mystery, but other than that the book was good. The diolog was written well. I felt like I was apart of the story. The book was comfortable and a fast read. I would recommend this book to others who are looking for a light fun story!
This was a fun, quirky mystery full of suspense and delightful characters! I loved the added aspect of the dogs in the story.
This is an interesting story with twists and turns.  The characters are interesting and delightful.  It's a nice, easy read.
A cute cozy mystery with an even cuter pup. I enjoyed this first book a series and look forward to the next one in the series.
A cozy dog mystery
Janice Thompson is the author of a variety of books (Christian romances, devotionals,...). She presents her book "Off the Chain. Book One - Gone to the Dogs series", the first one in the "Gone to the Dogs Mysteries" series, published by Barbour Publishing. The book starts out with Marigold trying to rescue a dog from a drainage pipe, getting nearly arrested, and losing her car. The burglary at Lone Star Vet where she works is not the only challenge that she has to face while trying to rehabilitate the dog and find its owner. But Marigold's dream is also to create Second Chance Ranch, a place where she can offer medical care for rescue dogs. So who will help her solve the burglary?
I have read various of Thompson's romance novels and one of her devotionals, but this was the first book that included mystery and suspense. I like the clean story line and the clean characters. I highly appreciated the book and recommend it to all readers who are interested in Christian novels that include mystery and suspense.
The complimentary copy of this book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley free of charge. I was under no obligation to offer a positive review. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
#OffTheChain	#Netgalley
I thoroughly enjoyed this cute lighthearted book that Janice wrote.  Marigold is a Vet Tech working at a Veterinarian office with Tyler who she adored.  Parker, her best friend, also worked as a Vet Tech in the office and he was always there to help her with anything she did.  Marigold's passion and desire was to start a rescue for dogs that were abandoned, or not taken care of.  The story starts out with her rescuing a mangie dog from a pipe...little did Marigold know she would end up being found by a police officer...boy did she have to try and save herself from that situation and she did and the doggie.  This book is filled with laughter and fun.  It was a great read and I thoroughly enjoyed the journey!  This is my honest opinion, for my honest review.
This intriguing cozy mystery is fun to read and funny too at times, plus it oozes with suspense as readers join the amusing characters to find out who could be behind the crimes. I’d call this a quirky “Who done it?” The author did a great job developing the characters, including the canine cast. And the plot and situations the story navigates keeps you on the edge of your seat. The main setting is a veterinary clinic, where the main characters work. The tale also includes some romance, which connects with the drama and dilemmas. So, join vet tech Marigold Evans and her delightful fellow crew in their wild experiences along with her family quandaries. I enjoyed all the action and interaction and look forward to the next book in this compelling new series. What a great concept—dogs and daring crime solving. I received a copy through Celebrate Lit. All opinions are my own. #OfftheChain #NetGalley
Her heart has truly gone to the dogs...

It's been awhile since the last time I read a Janice Thompson book but what better way to dive back in than a charming cozy style mystery series featuring dogs of all shapes and sizes?! Off The Chain is the first book in the Gone To The Dogs Mysteries series and I must say that this first book was as adorable as the name of the series promised.

Janice Thompson's first-person narrative style was excellent and the perfect fit for Off The Chain. I fell in love with Marigold 'Mari' and all of her crazy quirks right from the start. She may be an accident waiting to happen and one step away from being arrested for...climbing around inside a sewer, errr, drainage pipe...but her antics are funny and you can't help but chuckle aloud.

The mystery in this story was light and the romance subtle allowing readers to be just as Gone To The Dogs as the fictional characters at the Lone Star Vet Clinic were. I found the entire book to be easy reading and just right for a quiet afternoon at home.

From reading Off The Chain it is obvious that the author loves dogs and has a heart for rescue and it shines through on every page. The tale is definitely entertaining but it is also a great reminder anyone can help out their local rescue(s) whether it is fostering, volunteering, attending fundraisers, or simply making a donation.

Any and all dog lovers will be charmed by the start to the Gone To The Dogs Mysteries series just as I was. There is no doubt that Janice Thompson has a really winner here! Now I have to impatiently wait for the next book to come out...

(I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions are entirely my own.)
I thoroughly enjoyed Off the Chain by Jan Thompson. This first in a new series by Barbour, each cozy mystery written by a different author, is a smashing success in my book. Here’s why:

Faith. I didn’t have to worry about bad language. While I love cozies, what I read is limited because of either bad language or inappropriate bedroom scenes, neither of which are present in this book, nor do I expect them in this series. This is a book and series where faith is very real part of story. There are many mentions of prayers for specific needs, and God’s answers. “Just pray about it, Marigold. God’s got an answer for you.”- I love this advice from one friend of Mari’s. As one radio counselor recently reminded her audience, ‘Instead of taking problems to everyone else, take them to God. He’s the One with the answers!’

Friends. I loved the group of vet clinic workers who actually are friends and supportive of each other. You can see that they will make a great character base in the little town (another must of a cozy) of Brenham.

Hilarity. Another cozy must-have. This one has it in spades. While situations may be ridiculous, that doesn’t stop the genuine laughter from erupting often. Score again.

Animals. Specifically, rescue dogs. And they are a main focus of the story, not just a sideline or afterthought. If you are a dog lover, this book just became irresistible for you(It will actually hook you on the first page).

Romance, loss, and an eccentric grandma. These all feature well into our novel and help round it out to be the great experience it is! Don’t miss this one!

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit via NetGalley, plus I bought my own ebook. No positive review was required, and all opinions are my own.
A chain reaction of misunderstandings and mishaps only gets worse when the vet clinic that Marigold and Parker work at is vandalized.

Marigold is passionate about her job and helping animals, her dream is to open a pet rescue to help animals in need. She is determined to find the perpetrator as she works toward her dream with her dependable friend Parker by her side at every turn. I loved how this experience helps Marigold step out of her comfort zone and make new friends and connections, with humor and a community full of wonderful characters along the way. I liked the close knit workplace, community of faith, and the adorable animal friends, especially Mr. Bojangles.

I really enjoyed this cozy mystery, getting to know the townfolk, as well as following Mari throughout her days as she works to solve the case, find Mr. Bojangles a home, and make her dream a reality. A fun-filled, light-hearted read that brought a smile to my face.

This delightful book about Marigold Evans, a vet technician, who has a dream of owning an animal rescue finds when she rescues her first abandoned pooch, that through a series of mishaps, she almost ends up in jail.  Fellow worker, Parker Jenson comes to her rescue as he seems to have to do many times.

Mysterious actions, laughter, faith, so many aspects make this a truly fun read.  I highly recommend it to others.   I received a copy of this book from Barbour Publishers and NetGalley.
The opinions expressed are my own
This fast-paced cozy mystery is the first in a new series. I was not sure if I would like it due to the banter between Mari (Marigold) and her best friend Cassidy in the first chapter. We open to see Mari, a dedicated young veterinary technician, crawling in a drainage pipe on her first dog rescue. She is an animal lover with the goal of opening a dog rescue and caught my attention immediately. When a police officer suspected they were homeless and tucked them into the back of his patrol car to take to the homeless shelter, their ongoing conversation was not what I expected for the seriousness of the situation. Oh, am I glad I kept reading! These young women are usually serious in any situation that requires it, are fiercely loyal to each other, and ultimately are Christians who walk their faith without preaching it. The banter soon was exchanged for more normal communication.

The police officer was taking them to meet Mari’s close friend and fellow vet tech, Parker, with her spare apartment key. When he got a call to go to a break-in at the veterinary clinic where they both work, they had a back seat view of the action. Someone had shattered the huge front window. Tyler, the head vet and owner of the clinic arrived with the key so the officers could enter the building. Parker arrived at the clinic as well; he and Tyler worked on the pup that Mari rescued.

Mari, Cassidy, and Parker want to know who committed the burglary at the clinic that is only six months old, and they already have a short list of possible suspects. One is the ex-boyfriend of Isabel, one of the groomers, another is Cameron, a veterinary school friend of Tyler’s. There is even a client who may have been involved in the break-in and burglary. In the meantime, the office is continually harassed by the CPA whose office abuts the clinic. Not only does he hate dogs and threaten the little one Mari rescued for barking, but he has a parking lot full of clients on any given day.

I enjoyed Mari’s ideals and priorities. She is dedicated to Grandma Peach, her late mother’s mother. She has a plan to be able to one day purchase a piece of land with a house on the property for her and a barn for the rescue dogs, called the Second Chance Ranch. The clinic where she works has primarily Christian staff, which makes a huge difference in how they work together and treat each other and their clients. I came to appreciate and become invested in most of the characters as well as their goals regarding pet care. Beau Jangles, the precious pup Mari rescued and fell in love with even while trying to find his owner, is irresistible! The day arrived, however, when his owner came into the clinic.

The mysteries were not complex yet kept me guessing throughout. I was stunned to learn the depth of criminal activity the CPA was involved in. I appreciate the level of faith demonstrated, especially by Mari, and Parker, as well as each person taking things to the Lord in prayer. I highly recommend this for anyone who enjoys well-written cozy mysteries with faith, endearing characters, and irresistible dogs.

From a thankful heart: I received an electronic ARC of this novel from Celebrate Lit and the publisher through NetGalley, and this is my honest review.
3.5 Stars

Off the Chain by Janice Thompson is the first book in a new cozy mystery series.
The book starts off well with Mari caught in a pretty humorous situation as she attempts her first dog rescue (especially once the police show up). From there, readers are introduced to Mari’s friends and co-workers when the vet office she works at is vandalized.

I liked Mari for the most part (although her pining over her boss got a little old). Thompson gives us a peek into her personal life with her health-nut grandmother and her country music star aunt.

Even with a couple suspects and some red herrings thrown in, the plot was so predictable I didn’t find myself completely engaged. There were also some story threads left unanswered, but since this is a series, I’m hoping we get those tidied up down the road.

If you’re a dog lover or just need a more mellow read after a book hangover, Off the Chain might be the right read for you.

Disclosure statement: I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book and was not required to write a positive or negative review. All opinions are my own.
I didn't notice the Christian tag until after I read it. It didn't come off as preachy, which some Christian fiction can. It was a clean, sweet, cozy mystery. A little heavy on the "God will provide' and "pray about it", but a good fun read nonetheless.