Cover Image: Immortal North

Immortal North

This book is about a man raising his son in the cold northern wilderness of Canada I found Tom Stewart’s writing style to be so unique and so original I couldn’t get enough of the way he worded his sentences in the great insight a few words with reveal. Although it’s about him and his son throughout the book you see where his influence came from and I just cannot say enough about this book I loved it and highly recommend it. I have never read a book by Tom Stewart before but I will definitely be looking for more. I received this book from NetGalleyShelf and the publisher but I am leaving this review voluntarily please forgive any mistakes as I am blind and dictate my review.
Immortal North by Tom Stewart is a gripping story of the profound love between a father and son who live in the deep forests of the north. Weather, predators, and the challenges and danger of the wilderness are only superseded by the nefarious men who have no sensitivity toward either their fellow humans and no understanding of the wilds and the comfort they offer. There is plenty of suffering in this book, but there is also unadulterated joy and compassion manifested in the relationship of the boy and his father, who thinks often about his late wife, the boy's mother. The bonds of human love are foremost in the book, and although there exists violence and lack of judgement, this love will not be overcome.

Thanks to Net Galley and Lucky Dollar Media for the opportunity to read this profound book.
Wow!   Having grown up learning the wilderness I enjoyed  Immortal North immensely.    It certainly takes the reader on a very unexpected path, one I didn't see coming.     Well written.
I received this from Netgalley.com.

"He’s known as the trapper and his family has a long history in these isolated woods. "

I'm sorry to say this writing style just didn't work for me and I couldn't relate to the characters.

(3.0)

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Let's talked about what worked first.
To me the strongest point of this novel are it's incredibly vivid and clear descriptions of nature. I could really picture myself walking through Alaskan forests.
I also adored the father son relationship.

Unfortunately, while the prose worked for me when describing surroundings, it did not with the narration and character dialogue. Most of the narration turned very philosophical which just is not to my personal taste.

Overall this was a solid read with good character work.
This novel is pure magic. The author Tom Stewart has 'penned' a beautiful brilliant novel … well written and an incredible story. The novel encompasses love and growth, pain and loss, and finally death and revenge. It is impossible to put down as you travel along with an unnamed trapper and his young son. As the novel unfolds you realise the power of the heartbreaking story that will not leave you after reading the last page.  Tom Stewart has an incredible knowledge of living, hunting and survival in the wilderness that has been cleverly combined with an understanding of the meaning of life. Immortal North deserve high accolades and it is highly recommended to all readers and more than worthy of five stars.
Stewart writes well, and emotion comes thru well here. There's not a lot of plot, so readers seeking such a story will be disappointed. Recommended.

Thanks very much for the free review copy!!
What a poignant and beautifully written book. It wasn't always an easy read, but the naturalist in me loved the detail the author used to describe the most minute of settings. I highly recommend it to other outdoors lovers.
Wow. So as this book started I wasn’t sure what to think of it but I decided to stick it out. I am so happy that I did. While the story itself is a bit slow moving due to a lot of background information, that information is useful in the long run.
The author uses amazing descriptions of the surroundings and of the differences in the cultures.
I would recommend this to others as an audiobook or the written book. Very detailed and descriptive. And it leads up to a twist that you do and don’t see coming. You think it might happen but are praying that it would not.
Author is knowledgeable in hunting and trapping and the book is well researched.
Something I would like to see added would be to title the chapters with the trapper as “The trapper” or the ones with David and Jacob as “ David and Jacob” to make it slightly clearer.
Solid 4 stars from me though.
I’d been reading two writers I consider masters of beautiful sentences, William Gay and William Faulkner, and along came this novel unexpectedly to match them. Tom Stewart is a very good writer. His acrobatic sentences, generally unhindered by punctuation, contain some of the best words and most heartfelt, perfectly spoken sentiments I’ve read. The novel's passages about the Trapper meeting and loving his wife then her devastating death (not giving anything away there, since her death is clear from the beginning), how much he felt for her and still pines for her, blew me away. I admit, although the Trapper would probably disapprove, I shed more than one tear. And every other part of this story is perfectly rendered and exquisitely affecting as well, with so much to love: the Trapper’s tender love for and connection with his boy made me have to give mine a big long hug; his ruminations—at the very heart of this story—on God, existence, and the nature of man were tremendously thought-provoking (will linger with me for a long time); and his descriptions of hunting and tracking animals were for me, never a hunter myself, an eye-opening experience making me feel closer to my brothers who are. I’ll look for more great work from Stewart.
Immortal North
By Tom Stewart

This is a difficult book to read.  It deals with love and loss and how one handles tragedies.  It is about taking responsibility for one's actions and paying the price for bad decisions. It is about seeking revenge for wrongs done.

The Trapper and the boy (father and son) live a subsistence life in the north country, hunting, trapping and fishing, and trading for the necessities needed to survive.  They are even devoid of names.  But the Trapper is determined to raise his son in the way his dead wife would have wanted.  He tries to impart the skills his son will need to survive whatever life has in store.  He is a stern but loving father.

Into their wilderness habitat come Dave and Jacob, a pair of hapless men who are trying to revive a hunting camp in the area.  The culture clash is inevitable.

Add to all this an ambiguous ending and this should have been a book I would put down well before the end – but I couldn't.  The story held me captive until the very end.  Through all the sadness, it still imparts life lessons and is well worth the read.
I just finished Tom Stewart's novel "Immortal North" and if I could rate it 10 stars or higher, I would. The writing is spectacular; it is contemplative, thoughtful, and really reveals the mind of the trapper, who is never named in the story. The Trapper's family, for several generations, owned and operated a hunting lodge in the far north until they lost it when a family member gambled it away in a card game. They were left with just their own cabin that was their home and, having no choice, continued to act as guides for the hunters that arrived each season. When his parents died in a plane crash, the Trapper was raised by his grandparents whom he loved dearly. Now, in the present time, the Trapper has just lost his wife and is raising their young son alone. As the little boy grows, the Trapper teaches him everything he knows about the forest, the seasons, the animals, how to hunt, and builds in him a reverence for life. Once a year the two of them travel into the nearest town where a local schoolteacher has saved age-appropriate textbooks to give the Trapper so that he can homeschool his son, who is also left unnamed.

Suddenly, about half way through the novel, everything changes. I won't tell you what or why, because that would spoil the story, but suffice it to say, the large questions that the Trapper and his son have contemplated throughout their lives continue, but with a radically different thrust.

I will never forget this tale as long as I live. It resonates with me that much.
IMMORTAL NORTH-Tom Stewart
Trapper and Son,living in the harsh forest of North Canada,inheritors of a lifestyle of their ancestors . Isolation, survivalism, , a life far removed from the modern world without cell phones, television , and other conveniences we take for granted.
Vivid and haunting descriptions of nature and winter, both brutal and beautiful. Detailed description of bow hunting, and his justification for hunting,and the art and skill involved. At its core a love story between father and son,torn apart by a surprising turn of events.At times overwritten for my tastes, but a great read.