Cover Image: Shadow Sister

Shadow Sister

honestly i have not read a book better than this one..the story wow .thank you to the author and her wonderful ..my bestfriend is obviously going to love this book ..looking forawrd to reading more of her books
I devoured Shadow Sister from start to finish! I honestly couldn't put it down! I never got the chance to read her highly acclaimed novel, Mrs. Rochester’s Ghost, but I will be now! This is the perfect, haunting read for October!
If you like mystery and disguise, you’ll love this book!  Ava is into photographing scenes that are ghostly and bizarre.  She makes the decision to move to her homestead, Blackworth Mansion where her mother had died under mysterious circumstances when she and her brother James were children.  James falls in love with Sarah and quickly decides that he and his new wife will also return to Blackworth Mansion.  The storyline jumps back and forth between when they were children and their lives currently.  The past becomes intertwined with the present and you have to wonder, who is really “ invisible” and who among them is who they say they are.
When I wasn’t reading this book, I was thinking about it. It was a wonderful thriller with simple writing (which is a good thing.) I think the characters were well thought out but didn’t go overboard with descriptions to make it confusing. I wasn’t usually wondering who the characters were, as there were many to keep track of, except for one person. But the details in the book led to who they were eventually. The twists in this story weren’t too predictable and I only put things together during the end of the book, which was the goal. I thought this book was a fun, yet chilling, read!
Over all a fun read, twist and creative. Would work wonderfully as movie!  There were a few parts that were slow to read.  I would recommend it to those that loved family mysteries
Siblings, Ava and Jamie, live in Blackworth Mansion with their eccentric mother and abusive father. After hearing footsteps and creaks in the floor that can't be explained, they quickly realize Blackwork Mansion is haunted by a ghost they name Cinderella. After their mother sees Cinderella and the siblings break into the servant's quarters, bad things happen. Jamie falls out of a window and loses vision in one of his eyes and their mom dies very suspiciously. Years later, the past comes back to haunt Ava and Jamie when Ava moves back into the home and Jamie elopes with a student from the college he works at.

I was not surprised that I liked this book. It has haunted mansions, eccentric mothers, secrets, secrets, and more secrets. There seems to be a mystery around each corner and something is always happening. I liked how the book jumps from the present time to the past (more often toward the end of the book) and pulls the whole story together. Some parts are predictable but others just pop up and I was surprised that I didn't see them coming.

Thank you NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
This author is one of the most underrated thriller/mystery authors, in my opinion, so I was thrilled to be given an advanced copy of Shadow Sister. Set in chilly, eerie northern California, Ava returns to her childhood home of Blackworth Mansion to try and piece together the mystery of her mother's death years prior and get some closure. This book alternates between different character POVs and past a present - I truly couldn't wait to see what happened next.

Really interesting premise, and just the right amount of spook, intrigue, and mystery for me. Definitely recommend this and Marcott's other books!
I have to be honest and say that I predicted the plot twist about 30% into the book. However, the story was very compelling, which made me want to keep going. It was perfectly paced and had great character development. I really enjoyed it despite its predictability. I think readers of Lisa Jewell will definitely like Shadow Sister!
WOW! This book was an absolute whirlwind. Every time I thought i could predict what would happen, the author took another plot twist. Thank you Netgalley & the publisher for the ARC!
This was one of those reads that didn’t need any thought involved. It was perfect as I am on vacation and just wanted a nice pool read.

Ava has decided to move back to her childhood home to confront her demons. Her mom left the estate to her and her brother Jamie, a professor of psychology, who wants nothing to do with it and has just recently married a student of his!   Let’s take  a few steps back …their mother died at an early age but Ava is certain her mother died in suspicious circumstances.  Oh and maybe the house is haunted by a ghost who as a child Ava named Cinderella……

Told by multiple POV’s we visit the past and present. I must say I preferred Didi’s storyline and saw the twist a mile away…well most of it.

What I liked: I just went with the flow and wanted to see how it all came out in end. Super easy read and didn’t have to think. Is it weird I liked Didi?

What I didn’t like: Cinderella!!!!!! Maybe it is fitting I’m vacationing at Disney World but so much could have been explored there to make it more atmospheric.. it just seemed like an afterthought to throw it in .

I do like this author but feel it’s more of a pool read. Thanks to Netgalley, publisher and author for my advanced copy in exchange for honest review.
I really wanted to like this one but it was a big nope in the end. The first 1/4 of the book I was in it! Crazy characters, creepy house, a little haunting - bring it on! Except that was it. At the beginning I guessed the scenario out and thought well maybe this is what they want me to think and the end will be a fabulous tadaaaa. Nope, I was right and the end was a fabulous you knew all along. Ugh. It also felt a bit stuffy for me. The dialogue didn’t feel American, it felt overly sophisticated when it was to be casual conversation.

Ava and her brother Jamie grew up in a haunted mansion. Her mother was artsy and loved but she died mysteriously. Ava has come back home seventeen years later to try and figure out exactly what happened. Was it murder? Was it natural causes or an accident? Meanwhile, her brother starts acting weird and meets a new mystery girl and everything happens quickly. It goes back and forth between the past and present which I found kind of ruined the story for me from the point of views we got.

Unfortunately this just wasn’t for me.

Thank you Thomas & Mercer and netgalley for the arc in exchange for my honest review.
As with her previous book,Mrs. Rochester’s Ghost, Lindsay creates an atmospheric and haunting book that leaves chills running down your spine. It’s set on the California coastline at the beautiful Blackwood mansion. Even tho the story is told thru multiple POV, you grow and care about each character even if they are flawed. This novel has layer upon layers of plot lines and right when you think you have discovered them all, another comes again.

The plot is about Ava and Jamie who grew up at the mysterious and haunting mansion with their parents and a ghost called Cinderella. Avas mother tragically dies and she wonders if the ghost had something to do with it. Years later Ava decides to go back and find out what really happened to her mother. The ghosts of the past both figurative and literal make her realize she didn’t know so much about her past.

This is a must read for mystery lovers and will keep you guessing through the entire book. I highly recommend it
On the California coastline, in the middle of sand paths and forest, is a beautiful Blackwood Mansion. The residents are an interesting family and they even have their own ghost- Cinderella. After the sudden death of Christina, the artistic mum, the mansion is unoccupied.
The story takes place seventeen years later, when Christina's daughter Ava decides to move in. She is trying to make peace with her demons and resolve the mystery surrounding her mother's death.

The story is written in 3 viewpoints- Ava's, Sarah's and Didi's.
Ava's is trying to find clues about what really happened that day that her mother died.
Sarah is Ava's new sister-in-law (freshly married to Ava's brother Jamie) and she is fascinated with the mansion and wishes to become one of the family.
Didi's story is set back in the past, when she worked in a mansion as a maid and spent her time with Christina.

The premise of the story is packed with mystery, chills and action.
And here's me, not experiencing any of those spooky chills that the haunted mansion should give me.
The story was interesting but it didn't grab me.
I did notice some inconsistencies in the writing- at first mention of Jamie, he and Ava don't seem like they are very present in each other's lives but she later states that they have always been really close.

I do think that the author has an appealing style of writing and hope to read more (new) work from her.

Thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for an eArc :)
Tha main characters in this book are Ava and Jamie (brother and sister), Jamie's wife...  and Blackwood Mansion.   The house is so much a part of the story that it is like another character.

Ava and Jamie grow up in Blackwood Mansion with a ghost that they call Cinderella.  Their mother dies, and they end up leaving the mansion.   Ava comes back years later to figure out what happened.

This story is told from the 3 points of view, which I am always a sucker for.  I had chills while reading this book, and it had almost a gothic feel.

I loved the first 3/4 of the book.   I was totally engrossed.   But then it started to lose me.  It was almost like it was a different book.   The characters acted differently, and it didn't ring true.  And I 100% knew where it was headed - the mystery was gone.

I give the first part of the book 4. stars, but the last part gets 2-3 stars.    So let's average the whole book as a 3.   Is it worth reading?  yes.   But get it from the library.

Thank you to the author, the publisher and to #netgalley for the ARC which did not impact my review.
Another netgalley ARC! 💕

Blackworth Mansion is literally the stuff of nightmares. Haunted by a resident ghost, regret, and lots of secrets.

When Ava returns to the mansion seventeen years after her mother's untimely death, her fears return- fears of ghosts, her father, and the secrets of her family's deadly past.

I figured out the twist in this one about half way through - the clues were subtle but so well placed. Even though I had my suspicions, I still couldn't wait to see how the story wrapped up- a testament to the talent of the author !

I'm going to work backwards now and go grab her first novel !

This book releases October 18, 2022!

⭐⭐⭐

@lindsaymarcott
#bookreview #netgalley #arc #thriller #spooky
SHADOW SISTER really had me in its creepy, spooky grasp for the first two-thirds of the book, but the last third was simply too unrealistic to believe.  The interactions of the three main characters (Ava, Jamie and Jamie's wife) are convoluted and all of them act in ways that are inconsistent with what we have come to know about the characters.  Even at the end, these interactions don't make sense.  That said, parts of this book were extremely satisfying and I would certainly try another novel by Marcott.
Lindsay Marcott has done it again!

Shadow Sister is a stunning story of the different types of ghosts that haunt us.
Actual ghosts, yes, but also the ghosts of what could have been, the ghosts of forgotten memories, and the ghosts of betrayed trust.

As Ava returns home and is forced to face the ghosts she'd left behind, she is thrust back into a home filled with lies.

"and I'd felt a burst of love with a twinge of some aching pain."

Marcott's writing is descriptive and atmospheric, placing the reader right into Blackworth Mansion and visualizing all of its gothic glory. The twists and turns keep the suspense high throughout the story, and the characters are beautifully flawed. I was enthralled from page one and never wanted to put this book down!

Thank you to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review!
This ARC was provided to me via Kindle, Thomas & Mercer  and  by #NetGalley. Opinions expressed are completely my own.

Intriguing, suspenseful, you won’t want to put it down. The premise is definitely interesting and unique. I couldn’t wait to see what happened next.
I'm so glad I chose to read this book because it was better than I expected. Ava has returned home to Blackworth Mansion to determine once and for all why her mother, Christina, really passed away seventeen years ago.  Officially, she died of natural causes, but Ava has never believed that.  She's been haunted by memories that hint at a much more sinister cause. But is that because she always believed Blackworth itself to be haunted?  Or was her mother truly the victim of foul play?

Her older brother, Jamie, has never shared her beliefs and has no interest in even keeping Blackworth in the family.  He's trying to convince Ava to sell, partly due to his new love, Sarah.  At least, that's what Ava thinks. Sarah knew of the popular siblings back when they were teenagers but wasn't friends with them. She's excited to be part of their lives now, and wants to be a part of their family, too. Sarah always wanted a sister, and she and Ava hit it off immediately.

Ava tells her quite a bit about her family and the history of Blackworth. She even shares her belief that the mansion is haunted, by the ghost of a young woman tragically killed in the house decades ago. Her mother named the ghost Cinderella, due to a fire that destroyed the section of the mansion where she was murdered.  That part of the house has remained in ashes and was never rebuilt - ergo, the name Cinderella. Sarah is fascinated and Ava is grateful for her support.  Perhaps with Sarah's help, Ava can uncover the truth about Christina's death and finally put the past behind her.

The story was so engrossing, I didn't want to put it down for a second.  Even if you know what's coming, it doesn't matter because the story itself and the way it's told is so good. It will keep you hooked until the very last page  - it doesn't get better than that!
Thank you NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for the eARC.
At first I found the book a little confusing getting used to the various characters, but once I got into it I couldn't put it down.  The mysterious Blackworth Mansion, the strange family, the ghost, the whole atmosphere, it was fascinating and a little creepy.
When the daughter Ava decides to come back to live there, she wants to find out if her mother's death was natural or a murder.  When her brother Jamie has a serious accident, he comes back to the mansion along with his enigmatic wife, who I didn't trust from the beginning.  Things come to a boiling point and the ending is so tense and eerie, it was impossible to tear myself away from the story.
Great, spooky read, I really enjoyed it!