Cover Image: ANGEL TOWN

ANGEL TOWN

π‘‡β„Žπ‘’ π‘œπ‘›π‘™π‘¦ 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙𝑠 π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’ π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π‘œπ‘›π‘’π‘  π‘‘β„Žπ‘Žπ‘‘ π‘€π‘Žπ‘™π‘˜

π‘Žπ‘šπ‘œπ‘›π‘” 𝑒𝑠...

This is my first read by Fiona Cane, I'm sure it will not be my last. Angel Town is the story of a rebellious girl named Lola. Lola was born within the bounds of Edenville, a doomsday community ran by enigmatic Michael. Things are afoot in Edenville and as Lola is brought into Michael's inner sanctuary, a mother arrives looking for her missing son. Lola knows nothing of the 'otherworld' and as Donna comes with questions about her son's involvement with another close community and a woman named Naomi. The wheels of this well oiled machine start to come off.

Who is Michael? Is he really the forthcoming leader he appears to be? With outside world's colliding with Edenville this once impenetrable community falls apart in a web of lies, secrets and betrayal. Whose lives are in jeopardy? How far is Michael willing to go in order to keep his title? The divine protector. Who will follow him in blind faith?

This was a seriously intriguing book, with a suspenseful ominous feeling to it. Fiona Cane did a brilliant job at writing a foreboding book that is sure to be a hit with other like-minded people fascinated by Cults or just a really good thriller/suspense that is truly horrifying in it's realism. This author definitely has won me over and I'm excited to see what is to come in their future releases.
Thank you for NetGalley for providing me with this book for review. An interesting read, it certainly give me an insight into what may happen within a cult.
Unfortunately, I enjoyed only some of this book. There was a disconnect for me regarding the spunk young heroine and the environment in which she grew up. The relationship between the divorced couple ran far truer for me.
This explores  being trapped in a cult.  One member tries to understand what's real and who she can trust.   She is raised with certain beliefs.   Then she is promised to the leader of the cult, and she struggles with this.   Then comes someone her age from the outside, and she has more conflict.

I struggled with this one.  I liked the story quite a bit and found it really interesting, and it rang true.    But I didn't connect to the characters - I just didn't care.   and boy, was this a long book.  It felt like it went on and on and on,

I do want to thank the author, the publisher and #netgalley for the ARC which did not impact my review.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for providing me with a digital arc of this book, in exchange for an honest review.

This thriller novel explores elements of treachery and being trapped in a cult, as the protagonist fights to understand what's real and who she can trust. It follows a myriad of characters who fight to survive as they struggle to escape the harrowing threat that is the majority of the cult's presence. It is cleverly written to portray deceit, lies, and manipulative tendencies, as the characters appear to be trapped in the web of misfortunes that just continuously grows.

Personally, I just wasn't a fan of the writing style. The novel itself was quite long, and reading 700+ pages of a mystery that I wasn't quite invested in, made the reading journey a bit more difficult. I adore the concept and I think that the way that the author wrote the system of a cult, was tremendously done, I am just really disappointed that I couldn't find myself absolutely submerged into this plot. The characters also didn't all connect with me as much as I hoped, even though I am a huge fan of stories that contain large aspects of familial themes. I applaud the author for writing such a detailed thriller, and I know that majority of her audience will adore this sort of story, even if I wasn't fully able to.

Overall, an interesting read. A bit longer than I hoped, but still an interesting one. Even though the writing was not particularly to my taste, I still may read more of this author's work in the future, as the thriller and emotional aspects still spoke to me in some aspects. I am grateful to Netgalley for this copy, as it definitely was a unique addition to my mental library of fictional thrillers.
Lola has only ever known the cult she has grown up in. She only knows bits about life in the 'otherworld'. Donna's son has run away with a woman named Naomi, to join a 'close community' that are preparing for the end. As these worlds collide, secrets are told, family is betrayed, and not everyone is destined to get out alive...

I really enjoyed this book! This is a #NetGalley first read, and I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would. It was very long, and some parts could be taken out without any difference to the story. However, it is one of the best cult fiction books I've read. It's very interesting, horrifying and shows just how easy it can be to end up sucked into a cult.

Look out for this one, it's going to be a popular book!
Rating 5 stars out of fairness because while this book was not for me, I recognize it will be well received by others.

Although this was a DNF for me, I highly recommend this book to those who enjoyed If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch. The writing style for the POV of Lola is very similar to If You Find Me.

You know I love a good cult story, so this was an instant download for me. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of the phonetic spelling and "southern english" writing so I chose to DNF. I have nothing bad to say about the bookβ€”it certainly offered interesting insights and glimpses of cult life, plus an alternate POV of a mom seeking answers. It just wasn't for ME.

Thank you BooksGoSocial and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book before publication. IYKYK, my reviews are always honest.