Cover Image: The Butterfly Assassin

The Butterfly Assassin

Isabel Ryans is trying to start over. She has escaped the guilds, left behind the secret program training children to be assassins, and just wants to try having a normal life. When a mistake puts the guilds back on her trail, she will have to find out how far she will go for the life she wants.

This YA action thriller has a lot to recommend it. There is an interesting alternate history aspect, some detailed world building, and a deadly protagonist. I found myself drawn into the city of Espera, and the politics that drive it. I wanted to find out how Isabel would handle herself, and where she might choose to take herself.

Where the story fell down a bit for me though was around pacing - at times too quick, glossing over details, at other points, it felt slow. It was inconsistent in the urgency of deadlines. Overall though, a solid dark YA fiction.

Thanks to NetGalley and Simon and Schuester for a copy of this ARC.
What do you do when you just want to leave a normal life?  Isabel Ryans just wants to live a normal life, one away from the terrifying and brutal life of a child assassin.  But how can she do this when she just can't escape her past and her violent family?A fast paced thriller, you'll love the twists and turns that unfold as Isabel fights her way to what she hopes will be a normal life.