Cover Image: Somebody That I Used to Know

Somebody That I Used to Know

I am a fan of young adult literature, and the author really done a terrific job on this one. NOW THIS IS THE KIND OF BOOK THAT I'M LOOKING FOR. The timing and characters were perfect. I went into reading this book with no expectations, yet I ended myself falling in love with it. While reading this, I was on edge and experienced a range of emotions. This book is for everyone who enjoys music and the friends to enemies to lovers trope.
thank you to the publisher and netgalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest review

a cute story of reuniting with an old friend and remembering why you were friends in the first place
First of all, thank you Netgalley and publisher for giving my first chance to write feedback for free books.

Good thing happen in this book is I realized my books mostly has white main character and I've widen my read books by reading this. This book has so much to learn about black culture and the hardships (I'm asian living in asian countries). By reading this, I knew how the way they keep striving the culture even though they are living with non-black. I also love how the main character named Dylan coming to be proud of her own body, as I think it's normal if you are insecure about it at teens. We all are.

The music references, the description about violins and other instrument makes me learn a lot. But this is not something you can't enjoy, the explanation is in between story. By this book, I think I decide I should read more book like this, to understand more point of view in life.

Sadly, bad things here is I think in certain situation few characters were being rude. I mean, chatting with a friend slashed a crush while you had dinner with a date is very rude. Also, how special Legend are until the parents decided that Dylan shouldn't go to her seminar... but I've come to realize is it because this books more like plot-driven? So the characters just accidently have this rude or weird behavior to make this certain scene....

Dylan is strong character here while Legend is not. So, whenever Dylan think about Legend, I just.... meh. And I hope the ending stop at last chapter because in the epilogue, I think there's no conclusion how Legend try to be better, or in the end, Dylan would accept the fact that Legend is a celeb and eventually would give 50% her time to think why Legend haven't read her text?

Over all, it was hard reading as some parts makes me frustrated....
Dylan has one goal in life, to go to Juilliard, even if that means practising her violin for hours upon hours every single day. Super focused and determined, there’s not much that could distract Dylan from her practise- just her childhood friend Legend turning up to stay. With her life flipped upside down; her feelings for Legend making her question who she truly is; and discovering where she came from; will Dylan’s dreams come true?

I really enjoyed this YA romancey book, it was an easy read albeit a slow burner but with some great characters. There were some deeper themes throughout and although there were parts I wasn’t really feeling the love, I did have a few tears towards the end!
I had such a great time reading this book! I loved her other book, and when I saw this was about on NetGalley, I asked for, and got it! I loved reading Dylan's story, I love music and I love books, and having them together was fantastic!

If you're at all familiar with my tastes, you might know what's going to come next. But of course I have to talk about the cover first! The ombre of the yellow to orange of the background looks really great-and contrasts with the purples and blues of the middle. So I love this cover!

Legend ghosted her, once he moved to California, they were really tight best friends, but he dropped her, and that hurt. So finding out that he's going to be spending some time in her house, well, that puts a wrench in her practising for her Julliard audition. Not to mention that he wants to complete their bucket list, bringing up the complicated feelings of their past.

Watching her learn who he is now, what his life has been like, why he ghosted her, and just spending this time with him, was really great. Loved watching her fall in love. I'm not sure if he was falling, or if he'd already fallen, since we were only in her head, but I really enjoyed their romance. Especially the choices made at the end, to make sure that this is what they wanted, that was really mature, and great!

This was a really great read, and I can't wait to read more by Dana L. Davis!
Thank you to Skyscape and Net Galley for the opportunity to read this ebook in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book. This story is a slow burn but once Dylan and Legend really start hanging out I couldn’t put my kindle down until I finished it.

Dylan Woods is a super focused 18 year old girl who plays the violin with dreams of getting into  Julliard. She spends all of her time practicing unlike other kids she is not on social media. Although she is really talented she does have some insecurities about feeling her talent is enough to get her to where she wants to be.

Legendary (Langston) is the biggest young R&B artist in the world right now and ex-best friend of Dylan. He’s lived in LA for the last 6 years while being on the fast track to stardom. He returns to his hometown to try to fix his and Dylan’s relationship by completing the bucket list they made when they were children.

When Legend comes for a stay with Dylan and her adopted family she learns of the reasons their relationship became strained and with time their friendship falls back in stride. They spend time together more and more completing items from their bucket list in which awakens feeling unforeseen by both.

What I loved
I loved that Dylan was focused on her dreams and she only applied to Julliard because second place is still losing as she says. She knew that’s where she wanted to go and anything besides that wouldn’t bring her the same joy.
I also loved Dylan’s relationships with Kiyoshi her other friends. She didn’t try to shy away from who they were or what they enjoyed doing just because Legend was home.

What I didn’t like
I wanted to have Legend’s point of view. While it was great having Dylan’s POV I think it would’ve taken it to the next level to hear the story through his eyes.
I didn’t like how Dylan’s family (mom, dad, and siblings) reacted to Legend because it didn’t quite match the story. Why act differently when he grew up with your family until 6 years ago. They were all just a little too star struck for me.
I went into this book with incredibly high expectations as I consider The Voice in My Head one of my all-time favourite books and this book still managed to far exceed my expectations.

This book tells such a beautiful love story between Dylan and Legendary and really has fun with it. There were several moments during this book that I was crying happy tears because it was just so incredibly beautiful.

I also really appreciated that the romance felt organic rather than manufactured so the bumps in the road that our leads faced felt incredibly genuine and believable. And honestly I was completely obsessed with the Black joy that oozes out of this book.

This book will appeal to a wide variety of readers and is the perfect feel-good read.
Dylan Woods is talented, focused and driven, and I wanted more for her in this new novel by Dana L. Davis.

When we meet Dylan, our main character, she’s an impressive violinist who has a one-track mind: she’s determined to get into Julliard or bust. The only thing that could distract her from that goal? Her childhood best friend turned R & B superstar, Legendary. When Legend comes to stay with Dylan and her family following some unflattering PR fiascos, your standard teen romance ensues.

But it didn’t have to be standard, and I feel like it almost wasn’t — Dylan and Legend’s break-up near the end of the novel felt very real. He’s a boy with a lot of growing up to do, especially when it comes to learning how to treat women. The way he talks about his exes irks me, and his excuse for why he never contacted Dylan after he moved to LA felt flimsy at best. The pictures with the girl in the club after he and Dylan got together? Yikes.

Meanwhile, Dylan is driven and mature. She had it right the first time – she isn’t the type of girl who would want to sit at home wondering who her boyfriend is with and what he’s doing. That’s why the ending rang false to me. A grand profession of love does not a solid relationship make, but maybe I’m just the cynical grown woman reading too much into YA romance novels.

Thanks to Skyscape and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
One of the most heart-warming and sweet stories I have ever read.

First off, wow. Just wow. I am applauding how much I loved reading this book. What an amazing opportunity, so thank you for allowing me to read this.

Now, this book was truly something else. The writing is so cute, reading it truly made me feel inside Dylan's head and her thoughts are so expressive, I just love when a writer does that. The storyline is absolutely beautiful and fun, with moments of sadness and laugh-out-louds and awws-and-oohhs (pretty sure the last two adjectives don't exist, but whatever). The characters were so easy to love (Aunt Edith is my spirit animal) and some just made me cringe at how they behaved and acted, I mean...ew.

I truly think the author did something really amazing with this book. The way racism is presented in ways that some would not even think is racism (like Dylan not looking like her mother and people making weird or surprised faces), the way some characters dealt with it really did an impact on the story, in my opinion. I also thought it was absolutely impressive how Dylan, as a black young woman, dealt with some issues like that throughout the storyline; I believe those were some of my favourite moments to read, from the way they were written and they way they just made the story more compelling. And also, Dylan knew she could be the best violinist and she never let that blind her, she kept pushing forward with practising and experimenting and learning all that she could to strive for her dream. I love reading characters with that drive and that love for something clearly important in their lives. She fought for what she loved, and she didn't let other people or the colour of her skin or the fact that she wasn't like most people in her small town get that away from her.

Lastly, the relationship between characters was something I loved exploring as a reader. The way Aunt Edith and Dylan have their chess games or the late night talks; Legend and Dylan with their bucket list and all their experiences and moments; or even Dylan's parents and their children. For me, relationships in a story work as one of the foundations for a good story; and Dana L. Davis really did an amazing job with how the relationships shift in the book.

I honestly just really loved reading this book and I cannot fathom the fact that I will never experience it for the first time.

Signing off,
B.
Thanks Netgalley for the opportunity to review.   Honestly because the story had many layers, I found humor, empathy, and self-awareness throughout the story. I appreciated the author displaying numerous perspectives about artists even though some could be considered stereotypical. I also appreciate that the story was mostly realistic, but there were some parts that reminded me that this was definitely a fictional story. I liked the fictional aspects because they caused me to use my imagination and dream a bit more.

I think this story could be enjoyable for teens who want to unwind with a good book that doesn't have too much drama. Thank you .to the author
Really, really likable characters that you want to root for. I'm learning that while I'm not a super huge exes to lovers fan, ex friends to lovers is a fave trope of mine!
3.5 Stars. My feelings towards this book changed throughout. While there were some elements I did not love, overall the core characters and theme won me over. I’ll break my review down into what I loved and what I didn’t love.

What I Loved:
- Dylan’s musical talent remained at the forefront of the plot. It was beautiful to see her love of the violin from her perspective and how it has shaped her life. I lived with a music performance major in college, so that aspect of the story felt genuine to me. The hours of practice, the kind but intense teacher, and the stress over choosing an audition piece were all familiar.
- Dylan as a whole was an excellent main character. She had a deep character arc and it was lovely to see her blossom and accept all parts of herself.
- Legend was a very sweet and nuanced character. No toxic male love interests here!

What I Didn’t Love
- In light of the Britney Spears controversy, the conservatorship subplot did not sit well with me.
- Some of the teen dialogue felt awkward and outdated. I’m not sure teenagers (particularly Legend) talk like that.
- It was hard to tell what year it was. There were copious references to girls wearing fuzzy Ugg boots, which felt very 2013 to me.
- Dylan’s parents were obsessed with Legend to the point of it being weird.

All thoughts expressed in this review are my own. Thanks to NetGalley for the ebook to review!
I was a little worried at first. I felt the book started a little slow and I wasn’t really into it. I’m glad I kept going because mid way through I was invested.

Dylan Woods is a high school violinist with dreams of making it to Juilliard. She’s very dedicated and focused but that focus is interrupted when Legendary, a childhood friend turn superstar (who she hasn’t heard from since he made it big), comes to visit.

I think the thing I enjoyed most of how Dylan was unable to keep up a facade with Legend. Dylan is Black and was adopted by a white family. She hides parts of herself to fit in with her family and classmates which Legend often called her out on.

I won’t give the entire book away but I can saw that overall I enjoyed this book. Even got teary eyed a few times towards the end.
Thank you NetGalley and Skyscape for this eARC and the opportunity to read and review it!

As a music fan and a second chance romance trope lover, I really enjoyed this book! I'm not a trained musician so I couldn't connect to some of the music references as well as others might, but it was still a joy to read and is an absolutely perfect book for people who are musicians or just love music alike.

It was a lot of fun following Dylan's arc as the story progressed and I related to her dedication to following her dreams and applying to Juilliard to be a musician. I would say that it might be a bit unrealistic in the grand scheme of things to have her only goal be just to get into one school, but I also only applied to one college and just crossed my fingers that I would get in, so it was relatable and realistic enough to me.

I wasn't a fan of the idea of how the love interest, Langston, essentially ghosts her for several years and then resurfaces into her life, but other than that, I had fun reading this!
Thank you to Net Galley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Somebody That I Used to Know is a story about Dylan, a violinist who’s only school she applied to for college is Juliard, and Legendary, her mega-famous childhood best friend who ghosted her for no reason after he moved to LA. But now he’s coming back to their hometown—and even staying in Dylan’s house—and he wants to go through and complete their bucket list they started when they were kids before he leaves. Will they be able to reconcile their old selves with their new ones? And will they be able to rekindle their old friendship (and perhaps something more)?

Things I Loved:

LEGENDARY!!! It took me a while to warm up to him, but I was probably in love with him by the end of the book. Yes, he has flaws, but I’m in love with those too. He, and the other characters as well, were all so complex and well-written, and I absolutely adored that. Even side characters who barely appeared had more than one dimension.

Dylan’s struggle with her identity really captivated me while reading. I cried multiple times. Bravo.

Also, the way music is described is just so wonderful. As a musician myself, I felt so seen in those moments, and those feelings you get when you’re into the music were so perfectly described that I’m sure non-musicians will be able to easily put themselves in Dylan’s shoes while reading.

Things I Didn’t Love:

The ending. It makes me sad to say, but I think the ending could’ve been fleshed out more, or better yet, cut down. Without spoiling anything, I will say that what I’m referring to is the reason there is a time skip between the last chapter and the epilogue. I don’t think that added conflict was necessary, and it did take me out of the story. The way it was tied up, while cute, felt a bit rushed and didn’t really make any sense when considering the reason for the conflict in the first place. I still loved this book, but I was disappointed at its end.
I'm very impressed at how this book turned out to be to be honest. The writing was very well thought of and crafted and I'm looking forward to the author's future projects!
Thank you so much Skyscape and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.

TW: racial microaggressions (focused on hair), car accident (mentioned)

Omigosh, if I could I would have read this book in one sitting (instead it took me 3 days)! As an amateur pianist, I loved every music reference, the book hitting just the right spots. Now all I want to do is just play piano ALL. THE. TIME.

Dylan Woods, a violinist whose main goal in her teenage life is to get to Juilliard, spends every free second practicing her instrument to make her dream come true. All this is disrupted by the arrival of Dylan’s ex-friend from her childhood. Six years ago Langston left for Los Angeles, where he became one of the most famous music stars and… never contacted Dylan again. And now he is back with their childhood commandment list, bringing up in Dylan all the nostalgia and emotions connected to the ex-friendship’s sudden end.

WHAT I LOVED:
- As I already mentioned, I loved EVERY music reference. All Dylan’s practice, contests mentions and stuff just made me chills and brought up memories of me playing contests and exams during my time in music school.
- The representation of Black people, including Black female violinist!
- Rainy Day Cafe – I wish I could visit there! Sounds like a perfect cafe.
- Pop culture references, especially Dungeon & Dragons! It made me want to play D&D right away!
- Dylan’s parent as an example of interracial adoption. They do not pretend that they know everything, but do research and seek mentors to actually support their daughter.
- I love how Dylan’s relationship with herself changed throughout the story, her hero journey. And that is thanks to Langston.
- Aunt Edith. Just Aunt Edith.
- Kiyoshi and some Japanese phrases embedded in dialogues.

WHAT DID NOT WORK FOR ME:
- This whole Dylan-Langston relationship. I mean, okay, not all of it – I loved the chemistry between them, they were really great together. However, him being silent for SIX YEARS and then his “apologies” that were not really apologies was what made me think he did not really care for her. It all felt disingenuous.
- Dylan’s parents being SO EXCITED about Langston living in their house. I mean, they knew Langston for years when he was a kid, so why were they so obsessed with him?
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. I loved the banter between Langston and Dylan. I think that the bucket list was genius and an amazing way to rekindle their old friendship. Langston is now this super bad boy R&B music star that came up really fast but was forced to stay with Dylan's parents for a little while.

Throughout the story, we see Dylan battle to want to talk to him and be around him, all while trying to stay mad at him and unfriend him. But when she finds out that Langston kept their bucket list and wants to start marking things off the list, she finds that her feelings go just a little bit beyond friendship.

The only reason I gave this 3.5 stars is that YA just does not resonate with me anymore, and this one was no exception. It felt childlike and too convenient for my liking, even though I really enjoyed the overall story and rekindling between Dylan and Langston. Unfortunately, YA just doesn't tickle that little scratch in my brain simply because it feels too juvenile, but that's not at all the author's or genre's fault, it's simply not what I like anymore.

Thank you NetGalley and Skyscape for allowing me to read an advance copy of "Somebody That I Used to Know" in exchange for my honest review and thoughts.
SOMEBODY THAT I USED TO KNOW by Dana L. Davis has so much potential. The main character Dylan and her friends are talented, ambitious teens who are interesting, diverse characters. However, I struggled to connect with the book almost immediately because the banter among the characters felt so stiff. It was also hard to follow--not because it was too fast, but because it was not rooted in place or character. From there, it was also very difficult to believe Dylan had only applied to Juilliard; what musician with that much dedication and ambition would risk applying to only one school? And, as other reviewers have mentioned, it was hard to believe Dylan's parents were so over-the-top about Langston/Legendary staying with them that her parents would insist she miss meeting a prestigious violin player because they wanted her to buy green tea.
Overall, I enjoyed the story of Dylan and her growth. The author touched on many points in this novel about Dylan's journey of a young Black girl adopted violinist who uncovers herself while working towards a dream.

Because the story had many layers, I found humor, empathy, and self-awareness throughout the story. I appreciated the author displaying numerous perspectives about artists even though some could be considered stereotypical. I also appreciate that the story was mostly realistic, but there were some parts that reminded me that this was definitely a fictional story. I liked the fictional aspects because they caused me to use my imagination and dream a bit more.