Cover Image: Somebody That I Used to Know

Somebody That I Used to Know

Thank you so much to netgalley for this arc. This review is my own thoughts. Dylan is an 18 year old violinist whose dream is to attent Juilliard. She's been practicing her whole life when suddenly a blast from the past comes to town. Big music star legendary is back after 6 long years of silence. At first Dylan is irritated and hated the thought of him being there again. She felt hurt that he and his mom had left her in the wind without a word for so long. While he's there he brings out a list of commandments they had written together when they were young. It was a list of things they had to do together before they turned 18. Legendary wants to complete the list while he's there, but will Dylan go along with it? There's a lot of ups and downs with their relationship and also Dylans relationship with herself. She hides behind colored contacts and hair extensions because she thinks that will help her fit society's standard of beauty. I liked reading about her growth and finding the beauty she possessed all along. There are mentions of racism, especially concerning her hair and a car accident. The pacing felt a bit off in some parts, but overall I enjoyed the story.
Whether it's in the library, in the bookstore, or browsing for ARCs, I simply must pick up every music related romance that comes into my line of sight. So, when I saw Somebody That I Used To Know I just had to request it. Thank you @netgalley for the chance to read and review this book.

Things I loved:

🎻 Second chance romance / ex best friend trope
🎻 The focus on Black musicians and composers in history
🎻 The beauty of Black women is a conversation threaded throughout this story that I loved for our female MC Dylan
🎻 Dylan's parents serve as an example of thoughtful and loving interracial adoption. They do their research and seek mentors to best support their daughter, admitting to what they do not know.
🎻 The coffee shop is so cool and I want to go there!
🎻 Representation of Black female violinists!! We need so much more of this in schools (I could go on a tirade here)

Things that didn't work for me:

🎻 I was not invested in the love story. Langston's reasons for ghosting Dylan for YEARS, and later his "apologies" feel disingenuous and honestly condescending to me.
🎻 Some of the violin / orchestra content was strange. Many high schools are different, but I found myself confused with seeing a band style seating battle as a main plot point.
🎻 This book really feels like it pushes perfection over nothing. Dylan ONLY applies to Julliard. As a prior high school orchestra director and private violin teacher, I really struggle with the idea of telling my high schoolers to place all of their dreams on one school. It is far too much pressure and stresses that the only way they can become a great musician is through Julliard. This is simply untrue. I think the point that Dylan is destined for greatness could have been achieved in a better model for high schoolers reading it.
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Exceeded my expectations. Characters were easily to relate to. Plot was believable, and dialogue was realistic. Will recommend to others.
Loved it! As a Black woman who plays piano, I also have a strong connection to music that was beautifully shown through the main character in this book, Dylan. The author did a great job of incorporating various cultures and genres of music into the story. Dylan's relationship with her family, her friends, and Legend warmed my heart. This is definitely a book I would recommend to young readers!
Thank you to NetGalley and Skyscape for this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I'm giving this a 3.5 rating but please take into consideration YA contemporary is just not my genre. I tried it out and it's not for me. If this were a movie though, I'd watch it in a heartbeat!
CW: racial microaggressions, racism
I really didn't want to be the first to review this on Goodreads but it looks like I will be. I haven't posted it yet because I want to include a summary. I think the biggest thing working against this book right now is that it doesn't have a summary or a picture of the cover on Goodreads. It's already on Amazon, so I really think someone should fix that soon.
The story itself was nice, not too deep. Some of the dialogue was kind of cringe (which, who wasn't at that age?) It kept you on your toes at the end I really was about to be mad if they left it like that 🤣
This was a really fun read! Also the cover is stunning, show it off!
Thank you Netgalley for an opportunity to read this book

OMG THIS BOOK IS LEGENDARY (no pun intended). This book is beautifully written and nicely paced. As a music lover and an amateur violin player (I'm so amature that I'm not even gonna say "violinist"), this book hit me at just the right spots. Dylan and Legend's love story arch with its constant ups and downs had me on the edge and made me finish this book in a week. I loved how the book even detailed the side character stories. Even Dylan's past story and her drive was captured with such delicacy. Though I have to admit that my favourite character was kooky Aunt Edith. Everyone needs aunt Edith in their life. This book is amazing and a must read.
Reasons to read this book
1. Music lovers where you at
2. Diverse characters with a few tragic back stories
3. Best friends to half hearted enemies to something complicated to lovers pitch
4. Crazy best friends, aunt, teacher and family!

This book is an absolute must read so grab your green tea with ginger (i know it sounds gross but it's Legend's drink so i tried and it's ok) with Mushroom burger (another gross thing but hey try for legend) and dive in the book!
2.5/5 stars (rounded up to 3)

CW: conservatorship, racial microaggressions (focused on hair), car accident (mentioned)

I would like to thank NetGalley and Skyscape for providing me with a free e-ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.

All Dylan Woods wants to do is practice and get ready for the biggest audition of her life for a spot at Julliard. However, Dylan gets a flashback to the past after her family finds out that the world famous R & B artist and Dylan’s former best friend, Langston (Legendary), is staying with them for a couple of weeks. But Langston, who brings up the bucket list he and Dylan created before he left for Los Angeles, Dylan considers if it’s worth giving him another chance.

From when I was reading the book description for Somebody That I Used to Know, I was fascinated to read this book. However, after reading this title, I didn’t really meet my expectations for what this book could be and I was only able to read a little over 50% before skimming the rest of the book.

When I first read this book, I didn’t feel sucked in. It kind of felt like I was just there watching in the background and not like I was with them (if that makes any sense). Additionally, reading into the plot more, it almost sounded like something I read before but they changed the circumstances around the characters’ backstories and the book’s plot. Yes, I know that it’s part of how tropes work, but there wasn’t anything new added to it. I just wished that there was something in the book that would make it more original and not so trope-y or cookie cutter.

I also didn’t like how Dylan’s parents were portrayed in the book. They seemed so weirdly obsessed with Legendary, even though they knew him for years before he got big, and wanted the entire family to spend time with him while he was living with them. Even if it meant making Dylan compromise her dreams of meeting world-famous violinists who could help her get into Juilliard. That being said, it was definitely something that irked me about the book.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some parts that I liked about this book. I loved having Dylan as a main character for this book. It was comfortable getting to know her and reading her perspective as you go throughout the book. I also felt some of the side characters were good and helped balance out the cast of characters for Somebody That I Used to Know.

I just don’t think that this was the book for me. Maybe if you’re an avid classical musician who likes to go on adventures you might like this book, but it’s not something I would recommend and there are probably other reviewers who have much better insights about the book than me.
Somebody That I Used to Know was a fun read, with an interesting plot and engaging characters.  My one complaint was that a lot of the dialogue felt really unrealistic, like it was clearly an adult trying to write the way they think kids talk.  Other than that, though, a good choice for anyone who enjoys teen drama-type books.
This ARC was provided to me via Kindle, Skyscape and  by #NetGalley. Opinions expressed are completely my own.

One friend has moved on to fame, one college. Coming back together, will they’d be the same? It plays out nicely.
Somebody That I Used to Know is a YA contemporary romance. The main character is Dylan, a violinist. Awhile ago her best friend moved away and became famous, and she didn't hear from him since. But now he's going to be moving into her basement for two weeks. And he wants to be friends again. Dylan's putting herself under a lot of pressure for her college audition, and the added drama begins to tip her over the edge. I really like the relationship between those two characters, the black representation, the lovable side characters and reading about Dylan playing music. I didn't get all the music references, and Legend's behavior pissed me off a few times, but overall this was an enjoyable read.