Cover Image: Murder at the Majestic Hotel

Murder at the Majestic Hotel

Thank you Netgalley and Kensington Books for the opportunity to read and review this.

I read this, unaware that this was part of a series. Despite this, I found this really enjoyable, and would very likely be reading the prior books to the series, as well as future books of the series.

Stella and Lyndy are on honeymoon at the Majestic Hotel but they find the Honeymoon Suite has been given to someone else although they had booked it.  Then the chocolatier who preempted them is found dead in the suite. Another added complication, they are also invited to a reception of two granddaughters of Queen Victoria where a bomb goes off.
Stella and Lyndy are finally going on their honeymoon and arrive at their hotel only to find out that another guest is staying in their suite and they have been moved to another room.  Lyndy is upset about it, but Stella convinces him that it will be all right to stay in another room for the night.  She is just glad that they are away from his family and ready to start their married life together.  Things don't go quite as they expected and they are questioning whether a man died from natural causes or if it was murder.  They also get to spend some time with Lyndy's aunt and her family at their estate and Stella is pleasantly surprised at how welcoming they are to her.  I love how Stella and Lyndy work together and how their relationship has grown over the course of the series so far.  I am looking forward to their next adventure.

I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
We are back with our leading couple, Stella and Lyndy, in Murder at the Majestic Hotel by Clara Mckenna. Having just left their wedding, they are on honeymoon when a change in hotel room raises their suspicions and before they know it, they are a case again trying to resolve a mystery.

I found the motive and method a tad unbelievable for me so I struggled a bit, it’s feeling like this couple can never catch a break! Perhaps a little longer between books (in their world) would be good to allow for some normality.
The storylines are intriguing and having read previous books in this cozy mystery series I was looking forward to the next instalment.

Stella and Lyndy are now on honeymoon yet unsurprisingly end up in the thick of things. I didn't relate as well to this instalment as I did to the others. I struggled to relate to the couple this time and considering just how much was going on at the hotel, it felt just a little incredulous.

I am hoping that the next in the series will have me back on track.
With my thanks to #Netgalley, Kensington Books and the author for my Advance Reader copy in exchange for an honest review
Against all expectations in Edwardian England, newly married American heiress Stella Kendrick and British aristocrat Viscount “Lyndy” Lyndhurst are bucking traditions—and investigating murder—on their honeymoon in the latest installment of the Stella & Lyndy Mysteries from acclaimed author Clara McKenna.

Leaving behind tragedies surrounding their wedding at Morrington Hall, travel-worn Stella and Lyndy arrive at the grand Majestic Hotel in York to more misfortune—their stately honeymoon suite has been given away to Horace Wingrove, owner of England’s largest confectionery. Stella refuses to let an innocent booking mistake spoil the mood, but her optimism vanishes when Horace suffocates in the room where she and Lyndy should have stayed . . .

Unlike authorities on the scene, Stella can’t believe the business magnate’s death can be explained away as an accident. Troubling signs are everywhere—strange murmurs in the hallway, tight-lipped hotel staff, and a stolen secret recipe for Wingrave’s famous chocolate. Then there are Horace’s murky intentions for visiting the historic cathedral city, and those who were closely watching his every move . . .

As Stella and Lyndy tour Yorkshire and mingle with royals as husband and wife, they face a sinister mystery that puts their vows to the test. Can the couple work together to discover the truth about their romantic destination and the strange happenings haunting their trip before they’re treated to another terrifying surprise?

Thanks Netgalley for the copy!
Never read any book by the author. It suits me just fine. Love both the main characters
Stella and Lyndy are on honeymoon at the Majestic Hotel but the find the Honeymoon Suite has been given to someone else although they had booked it.  Then the chocolatier who preempted them is found dead in the suite.  Whodunit? Who had the chocolate formula that was the foundation for the wealth of the chocolate company?  To add to complications Stella and Lyndy are invited to a reception of two granddaughters of Queen Victoria where a bomb goes off.  Lots of red herrings. High Victorian manners and bad behavior.  Well worth reading Murder at the Majestic Hotel by Clara McKenna.
Stella and Lyndy were such fun characters and their joy for each other and their sleuthing kept me invested in the book. I felt the story lagged a bit in the middle, but I enjoyed the conclusion and discovering all the details about why the murder occurred. I didn't connect with Stella's mother's story arc. This might be because I have not read the previous books in the series. I give this book 3/5 stars.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of Murder at the Majestic Hotel by Clara McKenna. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thanks to NetGalley and Kensington Books for this ARC.
While I don’t normally read these types of books, I throughly enjoyed this story and mystery. I think overall it was written well and had a good pace to it.
A delightful mystery with an interesting cast of characters! Stella leads the chase to find out who killed the famous chocolate-maker. She is suppose to be enjoying her honeymoon in York, but her focus is split between that and searching for answers to the murder of that poor elderly gentleman at the famous Majestic Hotel.  The reader is lead through various twists and turns that ultimately end with an unexpected yet satisfying conclusion. A mystery you won't want to miss!
3.5 upped to 4
It's always a hit or miss with this series as I'm not a fan of Stella as I find her a bit unrealistic if you think about Consuelo Vanderbilt or the heiress in Wharton's books.
It's a nice and entertaining fantasy and I enjoy this book as long as I do not compare them to historical characters.
This is complex and twisty mystery and it kept me guessing even if it took the backseat at time.
Many thanks to the publisher for this arc, all opinions are mine
Murder at the Majestic Hotel by Clara McKenna brings us back to Stella and Lyndy who are on their honeymoon in York. They get there and find out their room is already occupied. They are shifted across the hall, to an identical room, except it’s PURPLE! They interact with the nice little man, Horace Wingrove, in their original room and spent some time fully occupied in their new room. Such a nice change from when they first met! In the middle of the night, to them, they heard a maid screaming. Horace, a chocolate magnate, it turns out, is dead in his bed. He has no wounds, but he is certainly dead. The hotel calls a doctor who staying there and he confirms it. It is all very strange. And it gets stranger as his nephew and heir, Morgan, and his secretary, Lily, appear. They were all in town to complete the purchase of another chocolate company. Upon the death of his uncle, Morgan feels the need to contact the seller who is staying nearby. Upon discovering that home has no telephone, he decides to simply appear. It turns out it is the home of Lyndy’s aunt and cousin so they all go together. Things are getting complicated, between the families and the hotel employees.

Lyndy is the spoiled heir to his father’s title of viscount. Sadly, the man has a title and no money. Stella is the daughter of an American who has plenty of money and is prepared to sell his daughter to obtain a title for her. Things did not go well at first, but now everyone, especially Lyndy, has grown to love her. Her father has died and so all that money is now theirs. The only fly in the ointment is that Stella has to have all her questions answered, particularly distressing the case of murder. Lyndy had already grown accustomed to her curiosity and simply tries to keep up. He has noticed she is often right. This was a good mystery that ended with a pretty good conclusion. Not what one would expect at all, as other characters had secrets, too. The characters were excellent. We got just enough about them to categorize them as we tried to solve the crime along with Stella. I enjoy this series.

I was invited to read a free e-ARC of Murder at the Majestic Hotel by Kensington Books, through Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are mine. #Netgalley #Kensington #ClaraMcKenna #MurderAtTheMajestic Hotel
Another wonderful read in this series. How this poor couple keeps finding dead bodies, even on their honeymoon makes for a good read.  This one had you guessing till the end with lots of mystery, adventure, twists, and turns.  I really enjoyed this story.  The characters were wonderfully written, the description of churches was well done and the storyline flowed well. There was no sex in this book even though the couple was on their honeymoon.  This is the fourth book in the series but can be read on its own.  I received this as an ARC from NetGalley and freely give my review.
Murder at the Majestic Hotel is the 4th Stella and Lyndy mystery in the series that keeps getting better with each new book.
If you love historical cozy mysteries then this romp through Edwardian England with the sweetest mystery solving couple should definitely be on your TBR list! As always, I recommend starting with the first in series so you don't miss any of this clever duo's adventures.
In this installment, Stella and Lyndy try to enjoy their honeymoon after death marred their nuptials. This well-planned cozy had me guessing until the very end when they solve not one, but two mysteries!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am eagerly awaiting the next in the series.
Yorkshire, England 1905

What is better than a historical mystery? Not much in my opinion and yes I have become a hugh fan!
I have not read anything from this author so was very interested to see how the story evolved!

To say the least I have to go back and read the first three in this series and catch up!

Murder, mayhem, explosions, a lot of red herrings and a honeymoon couple that are so much fun!!
I hope this comes out on audible so I can listen!  Loved it!!
I love mysteries and am always thrilled when I discover a new mystery author. This is the first mystery I’ve read by Clara McKenna and it certainly won’t be the last! Set in the Edwardian era in York, this whodunit kept me guessing and turning the pages. There’s romance, plenty of suspects, and delicious chocolate involved! I also enjoyed the historical details. There are three previous books in this series, but I felt like the author did a great job making this a standalone read while including helpful information from previous books. I’m excited to go back and read the other books in the series!

Viscount & Lady Lyndhurst are on their honeymoon hoping for a relaxing time in York, and no dead bodies. When they arrive at the Majestic Hotel, they’re dismayed to find their honeymoon suite has been booked that night by Horace Wingrove, England’s most famous chocolate confectioner. When the elderly gentleman winds up dead, at first it’s deemed an unfortunate accident. When the formula for his famous chocolates goes missing and other strange clues are discovered, Stella and Lyndy find themselves once again in the middle of a mystery.

Besides the murder, the police are stretched thin preparing for the unveiling of a statue of Queen Victoria who recently passed away. Anarchists continue to threaten the monarchy and the last thing they want to worry about is another murder. There’s also Wingrove’s suspicious interest in visiting York.

I really enjoyed Stella & Lyndy! Stella is the wealthy daughter of an American now married to the Viscount. She’s spunky, forthright, and not afraid to ask questions or search for clues. Lyndy is British aristocracy through and through clearly in love with his new wife. He adores Stella and she helps him overcome his natural reserve. I can’t wait to read the previous books to find out how their relationship developed. There’s plenty of romance since they are on their honeymoon, and while there’s some innuendo, the author keeps things firmly closed door. They work well together with Lyndy fully supporting his wife’s investigations.

The mystery is clever with multiple parts. There’re a slew of suspects: the nephew who stands to inherit the company, the controlling secretary, other chocolate competitors, shifty hotel staff, and hotel guests with various motivations. I also liked the other mystery involving Queen Victoria’s statue. While I had my suspicions, I wasn’t sure of who did what until the very end.

With plenty of action, suspects, twists and turns, beautiful descriptions of Yorkshire, and romance, this historical cozy mystery is a must read. I look forward to reading more from this author. There is some very mild infrequent swearing, and a mention of suicide for those sensitive to these issues. I received an advanced complimentary copy from the author through NetGalley. All opinions are my own and I was not required to provide a positive review.
As part of a series, Stella and Lundy honeymoon in York, Wales England.  A delightful read of historical fiction, mystery and tribute to chocolate and light romance.  I particularly enjoyed the notes by the author, Clara McKenna, which was so informative.  Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher, Kensington Publishing Corp. for an ARC of this book; this is my honest review.
Murder At The Majestic Hotel is the fourth book in the Stella and Lyndy Mystery series by Clara McKenna.

Stella and Lyndy(Lady and Lord Lyndhurst) are heading to York for their honeymoon, where Lyndy has reserved the Honeymoon Suite.  Lyndy approaches the manager's desk and soon learns their suite has been given to someone else somehow.  They are told they may have the honeymoon suite the next day and are given the Royal Suite for the night.  After settling into their suite, Lyndy approaches the man, Horace Wingrove, to discuss changing suites, but to no avail.  During the night, they hear a disturbance coming from the hall, but by the time Lyndy gets presentable, no one is in the hallway.  The next morning they are awakened by screaming.  They find a chambermaid screaming for help.  The maid asks for Stella and Lyndy to check the bedroom, and they see the dead body of Wingrove.  Dr. Bell, also staying at The Majestic, says the cause of death is suffocation due to carbon monoxide poisoning.  When the hotel manager hears this, he insists that the police be called to avoid bad publicity.  Detective Sergeant Glenshaw arrives to investigate and is quick to say that his report will show that the death was caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, even though Stella has her doubts and points out things that need to be considered.  In the back of Glenshaw’s mind is that he should be Guidhall getting ready for the Royal Highnesses' visit the next day.

Stella, seeing that Glenshaw isn’t taking her suggestions seriously, will start her own investigation.  Stella learns that Wingrove’s heir to his chocolate empire, Morgan Amesbury-Jones, is staying in the hotel as is Wingrove’s secretary, Miss Evan.  She will find that the hotel’s staff are anything but completely honest and forthcoming.  Stella hopes to learn who the killer is soon, so she and Lyndy can resume their romantic honeymoon.

The story is exciting, well-plotted, and written.  The story has plenty of red herrings that I was kept guessing until the killer was announced.  The characters are well-developed, interesting, and believable.  The story is historically accurate, and the author provides notes explaining some of the events in the book.

I’m anxiously awaiting the next book in this series to see what adventures are in store for Stella and Lyndy.
This is a fun read for anyone who enjoys an Upstairs, Downstairs historical mystery.  Fourth in a series, there are plenty of tie-ins to previous books, but this can still be read as a stand-alone.  American Stella, newly married to the aristocratic Lyndy are on their honeymoon in the cathedral city of York.  The amateur detectives can't get a break, though, and a corpse is discovered in their hotel on their first night.

Recommended for fans of Anna Lee Huber and Alyssa Maxwell!

4.5 Stars
Leaving behind tragedies surrounding their wedding at Morrington Hall, travel-worn Stella and Lyndy arrive at the grand Majestic Hotel in York to more misfortune, their stately honeymoon suite has been given away to Horace Wingrove, owner of England’s largest confectionery. Stella refuses to let an innocent booking mistake spoil the mood, but her optimism vanishes when Horace suffocates in the room where she and Lyndy should have stayed. Unlike authorities on the scene, Stella can’t believe the business magnate’s death can be explained away as an accident. Troubling signs are everywhere—strange murmurs in the hallway, tight-lipped hotel staff, and a stolen secret recipe for Wingrave’s famous chocolate. Then there are Horace’s murky intentions for visiting the historic cathedral city, and those who were closely watching his every move.
 The fourth book in this lovely series, Stella & Lyndy are now on their honeymoon but Stella can’t believe Wingrove's death was an accident. A very well written fast paced book with twists, turns & red herrings. The characters have depth & are well portrayed & I love how Lyndy & Stella’s relationship has grown & changed throughout the series. I'm loving this series & whilst this book could be read on its own I’d recommend reading the whole series to fully appreciate it
My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read
It's Stella and Lyndy's honeymoon and they've just arrived at the Majestic to discover that the honeymoon suite has been stolen by Horace Wingrove, the eccentric owner of a well-known confectionery and he's handing out chocolate boxes right and left. The happy couple are disappointed but are distracted by... well, the honeymoon.
Unfortunately, when they wake up, they discover that Mr. Wingrove has suffocated in his room overnight. The room in which they were supposed to have stayed. And his nephew and secretary are both in the hotel and acting strangely.
The policeman on the case is not very impressed by Stella and Lyndy trying to help. In fact, he doesn't understand why this American woman cares at all. But Stella has connections that the inspector doesn't and she will be the one to ultimately figure out what exactly happened at the Majestic. Oh, and thwart a plot to kill the queen.
There was a lot going on in this book again but it was a fun read nonetheless.

Three and a half stars