Cover Image: The Best Friend

The Best Friend

Great audiobook thriller.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for letting me access this book in exchange for my feedback.
Thank you Netgalley for this audio edition of The Best Friend by Shalini Boland.

This is the perfect book to read on the beach, or listen to on a road trip.  It is a quick read, that hooks you immediately, and doesn't require much from you along the way.  It's entertainment gold.

Louisa is so happy to meet a new friend, someone that is kind, has a son the same age as hers, and seems equally interested in the friendship.  But there are small things about this woman that don't sit quite right with Lousia.  Small, easily excused digs, and "mistakes" that leave Louisa and her family wounded.  And now that Louisa is so far into the friendship, she may not be able to get herself out.

Is any of it believable?  No, this is silly, goofy stuff, but it takes itself seriously enough to enjoy it.  It's written well and is paced perfectly for an easy summer read.  Lots of fun!
I found this book infuriating at times and found myself shouting at the narrator more than once.  Louisa meets Darcey through their sons being in the same class.  Darcey is perfect - too perfect in fact.  Things start happening - Louisa becomes unwell and can’t write her column for the newspaper.  Darcey volunteers to step in, Louisa looses column.  A lot of what happens is predictable although there iis an alternative timeline narrative that weaves through the book which at is difficult to see where it fits in at first.
Not one of Shalini Boland’s best books I fear.
Talk about twisted!!! There’s so so much I want to say but I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone. I really enjoyed this authors style and definitely want to read more in the future.
I loved this book and recommend it to everyone so when I was offered the chance to listen to the audio version I jumped at the chance.
The narrator Katie Villa really brought the characters to life for me and it was so lovely to take in the book in a different format. It's still my favourite by this author.
I have recently read several psychological thrillers about 'frenemies' and this is definitely one of the best. It's well-written, tense and gripping, pulling the reader into the characters' lives from the first page. Even though I thought the ending was a little far-fetched, I thoroughly enjoyed the story and highly recommend it to all the fans of the genre. Shalini Boland is a new author for me and I am going to buy her other books now. .
So glad I listened to this one as Katie Villa was a great narrator.  Her narration along with the story, of course, kept me making excuses to listen.

I want to be careful so I don’t spoil anything, but this was a wild ride.  I was invested through the whole book and would read anything she writes.
A decent run of the mill psychological thriller. No great surprises, but a good read nonetheless.  Perfect as a throw away holiday read.
I love Shalini Boland and always look forward to her new books.  The Best Friend is a solid, quick read, although a bit predictable.  It has fun twists and turns and the audiobook narrarator was supurb.  All in all, an enjoyable read.

Thank you to NetGalley, the author and publisher for allowing me an audio copy of this book for my review.
Such a fun and juicy audiobook by Shalini Boland.  I was captivated from the beginning and my interest remained high throughout - I could not wait to get home to pick up where I left off.

This story sounds like it might be your typical best-friend-stalker-wants-to-steal-my-life thriller fare, but it's really  much more than that and very well done.  Darcy is a new friend to Louisa who seems glamorous, fun, and interesting, but soon enough strange things start happening and Louisa wonders if Darcy is after everything in Louisa's life...her job....her friends...and even her husband.  The plot is fun and twisty and the suspense builds at a fast and intriguing pace as Darcy's craziness becomes more and more obvious to Louisa....but of course, not to everyone else.  When we finally get to the reasons Darcy is acting this way, legit bombshells are dropped.

Shalini Boland is a whiz of a plotter who also writes juicy prose and relatable characters, and this book was no exception.  I also really enjoyed the audiobook narrator who brought an appropriate sense of drama and suspense without crossing over into melodrama (which sometimes annoys me in narrations of these kinds of books).  This was a totally engaging, fun, and juicy listen that pays off big at the end.  I will continue to gobble up every book Shalini Boland writes!

Thanks to Bookouture Audio, the author, and NetGalley for this thrilling listen!
The Best Friend was a great read by Shalini Boland. Louisa Sullivan takes her little boy to his first play date at a new friend's house. She never realized that life is about to change for her family after meeting Darcy Lane. She has everything, a dream house, a powerful husband, and enviable wealth. She seem's to be the perfect wife and friend, but she's also the perfect liar. I enjoyed reading this book and cant wait to read more by the author.
This book was definitely eerie but didn’t veer toward horror, so I would absolutely classify it as a thriller. Sometimes thrillers can get a little intense, and this one seemed pretty realistic to me which made the story more enjoyable. I really enjoyed the plot and how gaslighting was utilized - again, all believable behaviors from characters and I could see myself getting into the exact same situation as Louisa.
<i><b>"I can tell we’re going to be the best of friends...."</i></b> is what Darcy tells Louisa when they strike up a friendship after their own sons befriend each other at school. And what a 360° turn that statement takes nearly ripping Louisa's life apart!

This is my first Shalini Boland book and being an audiobook I managed to get through it at a decent pace. The Best Friend is fast paced, intense, nutty and like some of the psychological thrillers I have read gets frustrating when seemingly intelligent persons refuse to see/believe the truth. My stress levels always get a bit high when it feels like the bad guys will get away with their evil plans! The reason for why Darcy does what she does is a bit over the top but I guess to a psychopath's mind nothing must seem far fetched.

The narration by Katie Villa was done well.

My thanks to NetGalley, the publisher Bookouture Audio and the author Shalini Boland for the audio Arc of the book.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I really listening to this book and felt really engaged with the narrator. the story was fast paced and didn't drag i was eager to find out where is was all going, however was a little disappointed with the far fetched plot as although fiction  and am happy to suspend the reality of the story, this i thought was taking a little too far.
This book was a great read. I enjoyed all the twists. Most of the characters were irritating but that was the point. I enjoyed the ARC. It was similar to other books in this genre but a pleasant read and I would definitely read more by this author in the future. Thank you!
OMG! if you make it through 45 percent of the book and can sleep, do it because the last 55 percent promises to have you up all night til you finish this book. Got an early morning meeting? Plan to go to it with a readers hangover. And worth every minute of it. Great, great, great. Her books are in a class by themselves.
Audiobook Review
Really enjoyed this, listened to the entire book in 2 days, even with work through it!
The narrator Katie Villa has narrated other Boland books and I recognised her voice straight away! She always gives a fantastic performance on the books I have listened to previously.
I loved this, the trope of 'someone making someone look crazy' always makes for a suspenseful and gripping read, and this was no different!
I was gripped throughout, and although I didn't quite 'get' the ending, and had to relisten without distractions, this was a fantastic book and I loved how it all came together.
Boland always gives me a really enjoyable read!

Also posted to my Facebook and Twitter pages Curling up with a Coffee and a Kindle
I have enjoyed all of Shalini's books/audiobooks. I find themes around female friendships particularly interesting. This was good apart from it was very far fetched at times. The narrator was good apart from this slightly irritating inflection when she is using a different voice to the protagonist.
I enjoyed this story which followed mum Louisa as she makes a new friend,  but soon begins to realise that the woman isn't everything she appeared to be at first. It starts with small things, such as confusions over their sons' joint birthday party, but seems to escalate - and Louisa is left to wonder if it is all in her head, or if her so-called friend is out to get her.

I enjoyed the story, which was paced well and kept just enough doubt about which of the women to believe, but I felt that the ending went a step too far to be believable.

The narrator was very good and I enjoyed listening to her read the story.
I definitely didn’t see all of the plot twists coming with this one. As a mom, the stories that involve kids, always hits differently than before. I enjoyed this listen and ALWAYS enjoy Shalini Boland.