Cover Image: The Night and Its Moon

The Night and Its Moon

Thank you so much, NetGalley and SOURCEBOOKS Bloom Books, Bloom Books, for the chance to read this book in exchange of an honest review.

Apparently, Farleigh is just an orphanage, but it's what the church would have others believe. Beautiful orphans Nox and fae-touched Amaris know the truth: they are available for purchase by the highest bidder, they are for sale. So when a madame from a notorious brothel wants to purchase Amaris, Nox ends up in her place, while Amaris is sent to the mountains, home of assassins. Even with new identities and lives, they will never stop at nothing to get back to each other. With the threat of war between Fae and humans,magic and mundane, new alliances, powers and unbreakable bond between them, Nox and Amaris will do anything to get back to each other and their love.

The night and its moon is a fabulous and addictive fantasy romance, written by the brilliant Piper CJ and it's truly amazing. The worldbuilding, characterization, plot twists and so much more is brilliantly written and engaging.
I loved so much this book. The romance is powerful and swoony, the characters are so good and well written and their bond is to die for. Between war, powers, factions, this book is truly awesome and so recommended.
There were lots of issues with this book. Let’s start with the most important. Nox is a woman of colour. I think. I say I think because I’m honestly not sure. She’s described as having dark brown skin but also as having tan skin. And when I looked up the character art that Piper CJ commissioned herself I was left even more confused, as the woman in the art is a white woman? This leaves the inclusion of a WOC main character feeling performative, at best. Add that to the weird fixation on Amaris’ pure, unmarked, white skin and the brutal whipping that Nox receives in the white woman’s place and this all starts to feel a bit insidious. Not to mention that Amaris gets to escape and become a Reever while Nox, once again in Amaris’ place, gets sold into sex work… it just doesn’t sit right with me.

Onto the writing. This book is so repetitive. And I don’t mean plot lines, I mean full sentences that repeat. For example.

“If given the chance, they’d run. Nox couldn’t blame them.”
Then on the next page.
“Nox didn’t blame the siblings for their dreams of running away.”

And this happens multiple times, throughout the entire book.
Then there are sentences like this: “Nox watched the exchange, knowing the end was a forgone conclusion.” This sentence makes very little sense. Almost as if Piper was a smidge too heavy handed with the synonyms feature on Word.
And sentences like this: “Her eyes remained glazed as they continued to see same after same after same.” This is terrible writing that should have been fixed in edits.
It’s all very choppy, with an overuse of full stops that disrupt the flow of the writing and a reliance on over complicated prose. Add that to the fact that this book is about 20 chapters too long, with complete chapters that should absolutely have been left on the cutting room floor, and the whole book becomes pretty impossible to sit through.

Here are some other issues I had with the book, in bullet form to save us all some time.
- Nox’s powers are never fully explained. I don’t know if being able to charm men is a common theme among succubus lore but even if it is, you cannot expect every reader to know this going in.
- The whole thing was so poorly edited. I know I’ve already touched on this but it needs to be said again.
- The similarities with The Witcher books need to be addressed. I wouldn’t say it’s a direct plagiarisation, but there are definitely far too many similarities to be a coincidence.
- The political side of the story is explained very poorly.
- Emily’s entire character could have been cut.
- There’s a POV change to Ash once and then we never hear from his POV again.

All in all, this book is a mess. It could have benefited from a much longer editing and revision timeframe and some sensitivity readers.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with access to an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
You guys I literally don't know how to express how I'm feeling after reading this book! Everything about it just left my jaw on the floor like the sizzling romance and the world-building was just *a chef's kiss!* Love it and can't wait to read the next book!
I'm a fan of Piper's from Tiktok, so I already knew a bit about this book before reading it. I was so delighted to be given an ARC for this book and I really enjoyed it! It did take a while to get into the story and care about the characters, but I also think that all the set-up was needed for the characters and plot.
There is a lot of very descriptive language, so if you're not into flowery and poetic descriptions you might not enjoy the prose. I personally didn't mind and felt like it fit in well with the kind of story that was being told. A book for those who are a fan of lady knights and faerie stories!
This book is a fantastic debut novel. The two main characters are interesting and engaging. The world is beautifully described using almost poetic language. The portrayal of sex work is done in a way that felt nuanced - empowering without negating the hardships Nyx faces.

With that being said, it is evident this is a debut novel. At times, it seemed like the author didn’t trust their audience to “pick up what they were putting down.” For example, the themes of religious trauma, queer identity, and self-determination were well-woven into the undertones and descriptive language throughout the story, yet the author would add explicit “tell you rather than show you” quips as if to make sure the reader caught the messaging. I think this critique will quickly become moot as the author grows more confident in their voice.

Given that this is a debut novel, it shows potential for an engaging series. An action-packed love story in a fantasy realm…what’s not to like?!
🌙 The Night and its Moon ✨

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Super, super excited that I got to read this one! I made a wish for it on NetGalley and miraculously received it a week ago, just enough time to read and savor this delicious new fantasy that will fill the void while SJM is busy working on more ACOTAR and CC content! This is a bisexual folklore fantasy, republished and edited as Piper CJ moves into traditional publishing.

Synopsis: Raised in the same orphanage, Nox and Amaris are deeply attached to each other as they navigate the complicated web of human trafficking their church sanctions. When they become separated as teenagers, Nox is forced to rise through the ranks of a brothel, while Amaris trains as a reever to protect the kingdoms from monsters and conflict. Over the years, both girls go to great lengths to reunite while also being swept into a growing human-fae conflict that tests their knowledge and opinions of magic.

I really, really enjoyed this book for what it was: a first book in a series that will take several books to reveal all its secrets and allow its characters to develop. One of the things I like about this book is that the relationships between the two MCs and their respective companions/friends are already complicated and challenging, and the MCs are flawed women who are still strong characters. Fans of The Witcher, Game of Thrones, ACOTAR, and Throne of Glass will appreciate this series for having some similar themes/creatures, but this holds up as a unique addition to the romantasy genre. This book is not very spicy (according to the author, the later books will be), but there are scenes alluding to torture, SA, manipulation, and violence that definitely make this an adult fantasy novel (not YA). The new version is officially out today, 9/20, and the sequel is coming out in February 2023, so you won’t have to wait long to find out what happens next (and believe me, you’ll want to)!

Many thanks to Bloom Books and NetGalley for letting me review this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Before I dive in, first I highly recommend you check out Piper CJ on both Instagram and TikTok. Her story for finishing this series (YES! The entire series is already done and will be releasing every six months until all four books are out!) is so inspiring and she just seems like someone I'd love to wander the woods with while admiring rocks and mushrooms. Seriously, if you read and love this one as much as I do then be sure to interact with Piper on socials as she is such a sweetheart she will almost certainly reply with kind words back.

The book itself though - is beautiful and brilliant. From the first chapter, I knew I was going to love Nox but I was not prepared for how much I was going to love her character. The story follows Amaris and Nox who have been in an orphanage for most of their lives. When someone decides to purchase Amaris for their brothel, of course Nox volunteers to take her place as she could never allow a fate so awful to befall her Amaris. No matter what happens, the two of them continue to search for one another. The story will break your heart and put it back together again and again.

The entire book is full of rich descriptions from Piper who shows off her expertise in folklore on every page. She manages to make the story so approachable, almost familiar at times, while never once making you feel like this is a story that's been told before. This bisexual fantasy series is certain to capture your heart from the very beginning.

For those that may have picked up the indie, unedited first edition copy of this book, I'd still recommend picking up the fancy new polished version from Barnes and Noble (they have a special edition with a bonus short story and sprayed edges!), Amazon or from your local indie bookstore. I know I've already told you to find Piper on socials but I also have to tell you to check our her website as she's already done the work of suggesting what foods you're going to be craving when you get to certain settings in the book. If you see this review early enough I also can't recommend enough checking out Apothecary 19 for their limited edition Amaris and Nox candles which of course match their descriptions from the books as well.

If you love adult fantasy but are tired of not reading about strong female characters (OR LGBTQIA+ characters!) then I recommend checking out The Night and Its Moon as soon as you can.

I received this ebook from Bloom through Netgalley for free in exchange for my honest review.
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC of this book!

I was intrigued by this book because I heard one character has a very Witcher-like story arc, and I love the Witcher series. The story starts out with two young girls growing up together in a orphanage, and they end of being separated when a madame comes to buy one of them. That's where the story really kicks off. Both Nox and Amaris have intriguing storylines for the next few years while they are separated, but I was definitely more interested in the Witcher/Amaris story. The story ends on a cliffhanger, and once again I am most looking forward to Amaris' side of the story. I didn't feel a lot of chemistry between Nox and Amaris, despite them dreaming of each other multiple times in their years apart. Hopefully we can see more of that romance in the following books.
I enjoyed this book and think the series has great potential.  The author's enthusiasm for their work oozes off the page and it is truly and interesting concept/world she id trying to create.  I hope things get more flushed out in the subsequent books.  I follow Piper on TikTok and so was excited to be given the chance to read an early copy of the new edition of this book.  I know there has been some controversy surrounding this book and can see why some people might not want to read it.  Overall, I did have a good time reading this and will likely pick up the next book to see where the story goes.
Review to come soon! Thank you to NetGalley for this great eARC. Initial reaction - what a stunning story, full of adventure and drama! I can't wait to see what Piper CJ does next!
I tried to get into this book, but I ended up DNF-ing about 30% in. It just didn't hook me, but I might have to try again at some point because the concept sounds interesting.
I have so many mixed feelings about 'The Night and Its Moon,' I scarcely know where to start. This book has potential to be truly great. You can feel the author's passion for the work oozing out of every page, and she really puts her knowledge of more fantastical aspects of folklore to use. But even after professional copyediting for the 9/20/22 edition, 'The Night and Its Moon' still very much reads like an overambitious debut that just doesn't quite measure up for me.

The heart is there in the character relationships, the knowledge is obviously there on the material used for inspiration, the world is cool in concept, and the main beats of the plot are solid. There is a lot to love about Piper CJ's debut in this current iteration. However, the prose feels less thorough and lyrical and more rambling, the pacing is all over the place, and there's still the overuse of redundant metonymy.

All that said! I'm putting this one at a safe three stars because there a lot of other series I have loved at the time that I am now (as a more adult reader, or someone who now reads with reviewing in mind, or whatever) hesitant to recommend because they "are a debut and it really shows." If you're a fan of high fantasy, or of the author's tiktoks, I definitely recommend you give this one a chance. It's just as likely the aspects that make 'The Night and Its Moon' not quite for me will barely even register for other readers; everybody has their preferences.

I will absolutely be keeping and eye on Piper's work going forward, I can't wait to see where her growth as an author takes her.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher, Sourcebooks Bloom Books, for the opportunity to read this advanced reader copy. This honest review was based off my experience reading this eARC, which in no way biased me. All opinions are my own.

I had been following Piper’s journey since her post of how she was forced to come out of the closet to her family because she wrote this book, and was explaining the plot to them. I had been all for the “bi fantasy” book that she was marketing on booktok, the fantasy genre needs more lgbtqia+ representation. Piper also marketed this as being “very diverse”, I don’t see it.

I believe the idea of this book, plot and representation, was wonderful, but I do believe the execution fell flat.

Between all the problematic situations surrounding this book/author, eg. the situation back when the book had been recently self published, even with the more recent backlash she received because she didn’t like readers/reviewers calling this book a sapphic romance will impact readers choosing to pick this book up.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was an amazing book and a wonderful start to a series. The author took great care in the execution of this book.
Loved it. I have loved watching Pier on TikTok and knew she would create something fantastic. I’m a sucker for Far stories and throw in dragons, succubi and witches and I was hooked. Fantastic world building and set up for a unique series. So good.
So. I follow Piper on tik tok and I love her content. When I saw this book up for grabs, I jumped at the chance. But I just can’t finish it.

I have a DNF rule where at any point if I just can’t get into a book, I shelf it and move on. And unfortunately, at 10%, I’m tapping out.

The plot has whispers of being interesting. The characters have the beginning of depth to them. But the world building is vague and gives me nothing to hold on to while I’m getting my bearings.

Maybe eventually I’ll finish it, but for now I’m out.
Nox spent her entire childhood protecting Amaris at the "orphanage" they grew up in, determined that she would not let her be sold to the highest bidder. So when a madame of a notorious brothel arrives to buy Amaris, Nox takes her place, and Amaris flees to the mountains to train as an assassin. But they never forget each other and the bond they formed. So when a mysterious new conflict erupts between the humans and the fae, the only thing that may save the world is the love between the two orphans and their determination to reunite. I was a little hesitant going into this book because of all the Booktok drama surrounding the author, but I was pleasantly surprised! I loved the world-building and that it was a bisexual fantasy that was entirely focused on two female characters! I read an ARC of the traditionally published book, which was revised and edited to avoid some of the editing issues I heard about from the self-published copies. Overall, it was a delightful fantasy, and I can't wait for the rest of the series!

Thank you to Netgalley, Bloom Books, and Piper C.J. for an ARC in exchange for my honest review. It was a very exciting and enjoyable fantasy!
I'll be honest that I was nervous when I started this book because I was already a fan of Piper CJ on TikTok and had come to know her and this book because of the folklore content she posts and the occasional promos she would do for the upcoming pub. Knowing how BookTok/Bookstagram and the publishing industry in general prioritizes followers and views over quality and talent, I wasn't sure what to expect from Piper's writing.

I'll also say that I felt that the book dragged a bit in the beginning, and I would find myself taking forever to pick the book up again between sittings because I wasn't feeling all that absorbed in the storyline. That being said, however...

By halfway through the book, I was absolutely in LOVE with Nox, and now I'm convinced she's one of my all-time favorite fictional characters. I appreciated the empowerment that went alongside her work at the Selkie, however controversial others may find the sex-work inclusion, and I also really loved the vivid descriptions. While there were definitely some points where I felt like the prose was a little dry and dragging on for too long, that was rarely a true problem for me, and I found that I really liked that writing style during the steamy parts because it was truly made for some of the best-written smut out there (especially if you're like me and can't stand the cringey euphemisms and awkward sex that make up SJM's smut).

Furthermore, I felt like The Night and Its Moon was the fantasy book I never knew I needed. It had all the fantasy elements I could want-magical protagonists, interesting creatures, fae-but it also had bisexual representation, a sapphic love story, and beautiful insights about love. Because the book really is a love story, albeit a complicated one that features lots of fighting with swords. I love the depth and purity of Nox's and Amaris' love for one another, and the protection that they provide for each other, at all costs, makes for a really epic story. I am very much looking forward to the sequel next year.
To start - I was not aware of the TikTok drama (or drama on other platforms?) that was surrounding this book and this author when I requested to read this book on NetGalley. I only learned about it when I was perusing this book's GoodReads page and saw a link from the author to a YouTube apology video. But that's besides the point -

My HONEST review of the book is that I DNF'd it about 20% of the way in, not because I felt like it was a bad book, but just because it was clear it was not going to be the book for me. It was written in a bit of a flowery or "purple" way that I don't always love, and the characters felt far from me. There's not an option on NetGalley to leave no star rating, so I go with a 2. I'm sure there's an audience out there for this one, but this book is just tooooo damn long to push through when I have 30 other books on my shelf that are calling my name :)
This was one of those were I really went back and forth with giving it a 2 or 3 stars. While I think the overall story has promise and the bones to be a great novel, there were too many things working against it to meet it's potential. The author style is very much purple prose, but unfortunately not in a good way.  Some of my favorite authors tend to write this way and when done correctly it, it can make a novel extraordinary. In this author's case, she just got too wordy, wrote extremely long descriptions and spent a lot of time focusing on text that could have easily been eliminated from the story and it wouldn't have changed anything. There were times where she was able to do this well, I just think more should have been edited down.

I also wish more had gone into the world building. There was a lot of focus on Amaris and Nox, which didn't leave a lot of time to explore other characters or the world around them. I wish she had spent more time detailing the different cities and kingdoms, the actually political discourse between the north and south, talked more about the queen and her son. All of these things don't come up until we are most of the way through the book and there is still a lot that wasn't gone over or just seemed to be thrown in.

I didn't hate the book, and like I said, it has the bones of a good story line and the author does have the ability to write well. I think maybe as she writes more and works more closely with editors, she will be able to hone her skills.