Cover Image: Murder in a Cape Cottage

Murder in a Cape Cottage

Murder in a Cape Cottage is the 4th title in the A Cozy Cappers Book Group Mystery series, and while I’m picking up the series at this point I wasn’t the least bit lost and could enjoy Mac and Tim’s story, the quirky secondary characters, and trying to figure out this mystery without any trouble – it did, however, tempt me to go back to the beginning and discover what I’d missed up to this point.

While doing some renovating on their cottage, Mac and Tim discover a skeleton wearing a vintage wedding dress, seated, chained, with a suitcase nearby behind a wall. To say it was a surprise would be an understatement and this discovery comes right as they are getting ready for their wedding which is already stressful enough! Who was this murdered bride? And what family in this small town knows more than they’re willing to admit?

Murder in a Cape Cottage is a well-written cozy mystery with enough red herrings and twists to satisfy any reader who enjoys this genre. While I don’t need to figure out whodunit before the reveal to have fun with a story, I was fascinated by this plot with plenty of possible suspects. It definitely kept me on my toes!

I enjoyed this world and would quite happily return again, if you love a good cozy mystery that will engage your emotions, and your mystery-solving skills with enough unexpected twists to make the story fly by then you’d feel right at home in this world.

*I received an e-ARC of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley. That does not change what I think of this story. It is my choice to leave a review giving my personal opinion about this book.*
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC for an exchange for an honest review.

Interesting story , I enjoyed reading it.
I really like this series and was looking forward to this book.  It is the holiday season and Mac and Tim are about to be married.  Mac is a little nervous about their upcoming nuptials.  Also they are doing a renovation project to Tim's cottage to add an en suite bathroom that they hope to have done before the wedding.  When they start taking down a wall, they find an unexpected surprise that puts their plans on hold.  Mac starts to investigate and look into some of the history of the oldest families in the town and not everyone is happy with her sleuthing.

I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book.  This was an incredibly boring cozy mystery.  Mac is a bike shop owner who is about to get married.  While fixing up her fiancé’s house, she finds a skeleton in the wall.  She helps solve another mystery in her town.  My problem with the book is that Mac isn’t likable.  If I found a skeleton in the wall I would freak.  Mac is like, oh well I have to solve the mystery.  She also won’t shake hands with anyone because of the pandemic, even though it is over.  I would not recommend this book to anyone.
So, I love anything cozy and anything cape cod since we always vacationed there as a kid. Even did my own book launch on the cape. Therefore I was very excited to read this. I thought it was great! Was fun to see the cape written in a different season versus always during the summer time when it's tourist season. The characters were great, the plot was great.
Another excellent edition to a wonderful series! Full of twists and turns that leaves you wanting more and enjoying each moment until the end when the killer is caught!
A fun who did it mystery with so many questions and twist and turns that it will have you laughing at the trouble the main character gets into with out trying to do so.
A delightful read. Sounds cheesy but it best describes the 4th book in the cozy capers book group series. This is the first book in the series I have read. (Thank you netgalley & Kensington for the eARC of this book.) I've heard that for murder mysteries publishers recommend  that a body is found within the 1st 3 chapters. The author took it to heart and placed the remains smack dab in the first chapter. I was hooked! Easy read and I was able to catch up and connect to the main characters even without reading the earlier books. I do recommend that anyone reading keep notes in the connections between the Swifts, Winslows & Ruhlens. At least on the early family members. They have all passed but are often spoken about throughout the book. It can get a bit confusing. And two thumbs up for the recipes included. They look delicious!
Thank you so much to NetGalley and Kensington Books for my copy of Murder in a Cape Cottage by Maddie Day in exchange for an honest review. It published September 27, 2022.
I thought this was a really interesting cozy mystery, and I actually really liked the way the murder was introduced early on, rather than 50% or longer. It makes it so much more interesting to try to look for clues and solve the murder during more of the books, compared to others.
I also have to say, I really want to visit this Cape Cod town! It sounds so cozy and idyllic and I want to hop on the next plane there! I want to go back to the start and really get to know all the characters, and the town!
Mac and her fiancé, Tim are renovating a bedroom in their cottage. When tearing down a wall, they discover a decades old skeleton. She's sitting on a stool, dressed in an old-fashioned bridal gown with her wrists bound behind her back.

It's obviously murder so the police are investigating, but not fast enough to suit Mac. She gets her Cozy Capers Book Club involved so she can solve this mystery before her New Year's Eve wedding.

This is a great story with a few surprises.  Recipes are included.
Mac and Tim are excited about their wedding in a week. But first, they close their businesses and begin cottage renovations. That's when they find a skeleton dressed as a bride hidden in the wall. What happened to her? Mac is determined to find out.
I enjoyed the mystery, even though I figured out the solution early on. And I like that the characters are older (not all in their 20s) and still vibrant, capable and smart. The cultural aspects are also interesting with an eclectic mix of origins and traditions, including one woman who changes her name to reinvent herself.
I didn't connect emotionally with any of the characters, though. And I skimmed the last chapter. Maybe I would have had a stronger connection if I had read earlier books in the series.
⭐⭐ -- Pretty cover on this one!

I like this author and enjoyed the previous book in this series, however this one just wasn't this author's best work. First, the mystery isn't much of a mystery. It's pretty obvious who it is going to be from early on. Second, I did not like Mac in this one at all. First, who starts a home renovation over the holiday season and days before their wedding? This annoyed me. 😂🤷🏻‍♀️ Second, she overacted, cried, was depressed, a grinch, for a good portion of this book. Perhaps if she had held off on the renovations until AFTER she was married, she would have been happier! 😂 On a more positive note, I still love the setting and the secondary characters remain strong.

**ARC Via NetGalley**
Our heroine Mac Almeida and her fiance Tim are getting married! In the lead up to their New Year's nuptials, they're renovating the house that they'll be living in as a married couple. The old Cape Cod cottage is comfortable but could use a little extra modernization. Mac is most excited at the prospect of installing an en suite bathroom to go with their ground floor master bedroom.

Mac's exuberance swiftly evaporates, however, when demolishing the wall for the en suite uncovers not only a hidden space but a body concealed inside. As if finding a body weren’t bad enough, the skeletal remains are clad in a wedding dress. Worse, the bride was apparently chained to the wall and left to die. Mac isn't the superstitious sort, but she knows that she'll feel like a cloud is hanging over her own wedding if she doesn't figure out beforehand who this poor woman was, and how and why she met her untimely end.

Fortunately, Mac has her Cozy Capers book group to help her gather and sort out the clues. Turns out that the bride was a young woman who was thought to have eloped back in 1940, scandalizing the citizenry of Westham, Massachusetts. Members of her prominent extended family are still in town, with some more reluctant to talk about what happened than others. As Mac juggles wedding errands with inquiries as to the town’s history, she’s surprised by the lengths some people will go to in order to obscure the past. But when her investigations unearth a connection with very modern crimes, will she be able to find peace for the dead bride while still making it to her own wedding safe and sound?

This was another solid installment in the Cozy Capers Book Group mystery series. In all honesty, I felt more suspense at Mac meeting Tim's parents for the first time than at any of the actual criminal activity going on: that's a sign of how invested I am in her relationship! The contrast of her loving extended family with the machinations of Westham's founding families of the 1940s was stark, and made for absorbing reading.

There were five food and drink recipes included, and I decided to try out this dish that was on the menu for Mac and Tim's wedding dinner:

Pasta with Lobster

2 cups cooked lobster meat
1 pound sturdy pasta, like rotini or farfalle
4 tablespoons olive oil
½ small onion, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup halved mixed gold and red cherry tomatoes
½ cup pasta water
Salt and pepper
½ cup basil leaves, slivered
Parmesan cheese

Set a large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta.

Pour olive oil in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 1 minute, without browning. Add garlic and red pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and season generously with salt and pepper. Add lobster meat, stir to coat, cook 1 minute, then turn off heat and cover until pasta is ready.

When pasta is al dente, add ½ cup of the water to the skillet. Drain pasta, add to skillet, add basil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss well and transfer to a warmed wide bowl or platter.

Serve immediately with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a green salad.
END QUOTE

Lobster meat is rather hard to come by in my local grocery stores nowadays, so I used shrimp instead, which makes for a perfectly delicious if admittedly less decadent substitution. I also decided to use some bucatini from my pantry instead of getting a more shaped pasta: the box had a bit of an incident with some green food coloring, but the pasta was otherwise perfect. Speaking of pasta, I discovered that my skillet wasn’t quite large enough to deal with a whole pound of it, so poured the skillet contents into the drained pasta pot instead of the other way around. I’m certain that that had no detrimental effect on the quality of the final dish though.

And what a dish it was! I love how simple this pasta is, yet how rich with flavor. The olive oil, onion, garlic, red pepper and tomatoes combine for a very basic yet exceedingly delicious, barely there sauce. I only wish I'd had more basil to hand, as the contrast with the cheese packs a wonderful, aromatic punch.

Next week, we'll be getting in the holiday spirit with a trio of mysteries while baking up a fun alternative to the usual seasonal roast meat recipes. Do join me!
Release Date: September 27, 2022

📖📖📖📖

I thoroughly enjoyed Murder in Cape Cottage by Maggie Day. It blended so many interests of mine in one amazing package. Plus I love anything set on Cape Cod! The moment Mac and Tim find a body during their home renovations all the way to the end tying up the loose ends, I was riveted. I loved the way genealogy and history was woven throughout the story so naturally. It gave a wonderful twist to a history of the characters and the town. One of the highlights for me was the Hanukkah party. I love seeing other types of celebrations in novels (more diversity and inclusion!). The twists and red herrings kept me guessing throughout the whole book!

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions and thoughts are my own.

#murderinacapecottage #capecod #cozymystery #bookstagram #cozymysteryseries #netgalleyreads #cozycapper #bookstagram #instareads #kensingtonbooks
Princess Fuzzypants here:  Mac and Tim’s big day is fast approaching and they both have closed their businesses to prepare for the wedding and to do renovations.  But before they can rebuild, they must tear down.  As they knock down walls they make a grisly discovery- a skeleton in a wedding dress who had been chained to a wall and then trapped inside.  Mac feels obligated to figure out who this poor victim was and what happened to her.

So while making her last minute plans, she and her team of amateur detectives, search for clues.  They are able to learn her identity fairly quickly and the fact that it had been assumed she had eloped with her boyfriend.  Sadly, both meet a sad end and the killers were never discovered.  That is until Mac put her mind to it.

There are people in town, important people, who many not want the truth to be revealed.  Reputations are at risk and those reputations are highly valued.  But how far would someone go to protect the identity of the perpetrators of 80 year old murders.  Some, it would seem, would go to any length.

This was a moving story and the juxtaposition of the bride who never was with Mac’s own nuptials casts an even sadder pall on the past events.  I liked the way Mac goes about solving the crime.  She is never stupid or careless and she brings the police in on anything she discovers.  It is a strong story with great characters.  Five purrs and two paws up.
I absolutely love this series! The characters are so fun, and I love the Cape Cod setting. Mac is a fantastic protagonist, and I enjoyed solving the mystery with her. The murder mystery was fun, and I loved the plot twists!
I enjoyed the previous books in this series.  This book was less than fabulous.  Mac seriously got on my nerves.  Everything was blown out of proportion and the story line dragged.  I could do without the political stuff as well.  I feel like the series has been sliding down a slippery slope and finally fell over the edge.  I simply did not enjoy the book.
A diverse cast of characters makes this cozy the perfect one to read! The author has beautifully crafted a small town with a lot of heart and a cast of book-loving characters that are perfect for those of us who are kindred spirits. This installment starts just after Christmas and just a few days before Mac and Tim are married on New Year's Eve. Unfortunately, someone wanting to keep family secrets dead and buried in spite of a skeleton popping out of the wall might just put an end to happy festivities if this cold case isn't solved fast! I seriously love the dynamic group of characters that surround Mac, the main character, and make up her merry band of amateur sleuths! If you haven't started this series, I would highly recommend that you start with the first one so you don't miss a moment of enjoyment nor any of the layered backstory that the author has developed throughout the series! I can't wait for the next book in the series!
It’s the week before Christmas, and Mac is preparing for her wedding. All pre-wedding jitters fade into the background when Mac’s fiancé, Tim, begins a cottage renovation project and opens up a wall to find a skeleton sitting on a stool, dressed in an old-fashioned bridal gown. As Mac delves into the decades-old mystery with the help of librarian Flo and her book group, she discovers a story of star-crossed lovers and feuding families. Yet this tale has a modern-day villain still lurking in Mac’s quaint seaside town, ready to make this a murderous Christmas.
This was a great holiday cozy mystery. I love Mac for her tenacity and how she works with the police to discover the identity of the murderer. The plot was enthralling, and I liked every twist and turn. I wish there were more encounters with the book group. Overall, a very satisfying read. Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for this advanced reader’s copy. This review is my unbiased opinion.
Christmas is coming and so is the wedding of Mac and Tim. However, when Tm begins a cottage renovation, finding a skeleton in a bridal dress changed to the wall was not on the radar. Bringing more than just wedding jitters, Mac knows that she must solve the mystery of the bride before her own wedding day. All indicators point to feuding families and old secret loves. Will she and her book club find the answer before the clock strikes on Mac's day?  I have not had the pleasure to read the other books in the series. I plan to return and read them soon. I received a copy through Netgalley. A review was not required.