Cover Image: Almost Priest

Almost Priest

I really wanted to be able to get into this book but unfortunately I just didn’t I was unable to finish
4.5/5

As long as there’s an HEA, give me alllll the angst. Well, this book delivered it. I totally devoured it in one sitting. Colin and Sam were so sweet, so drawn to each other and so good together. I loved them.

This is a mildly forbidden romance. Colin is a few months away from taking his vows to become a priest, so he struggles with his major attraction to Sam. Sam has come home from grad school with Colin’s brother, Braydon, for summer break, but they never agreed to being a couple and are basically just friends with kissing benefits. So she doesn’t share a room with Braydon…but her room is connected to Colin’s room through a shared bathroom…and they can’t stay away from each other. Their relationship slowly develops into something very special.

The McCulloughs—Colin’s huge, Irish-Catholic, loud, hilarious, mountain dwelling, logging family—were delightful and endearing and definitely made me want to read more of this series. I loved all the siblings, except not so much Braydon in the beginning. The way he treated Sam was super weird, but by the end he redeemed himself.

The one thing I didn’t love was having some random chapters in the pov of other characters. I wish it had only been from Sam and Colin’s pov. I also wanted much more insight into Colin’s thoughts and feelings at the end of the book—it was frustrating not knowing why???

Overall, this book gave me all the feels and I really enjoyed the story and writing. I’ll definitely be reading more Lydia Michaels books.

Thank you to NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is a good book. The two main characters are Samantha and Colin. Samantha is a college student fixing to graduate with a teaching degree and Colin is fixing to take his vows to be a priest. Samantha has come with Braydon, who is Colin’s brother, to his family home for a couple of weeks. There she meets Colin, where there is an instant attraction. They each have trust issues but together they work them out and declare their love.
I liked this book.  I gotta say - it was pretty spicy and I really liked the passion between the two main characters, and the situation they were in made everything have more of an edge to it.  I'll read other works by this author!
I really enjoyed this story. So much so that I didn’t want to put it down to go to sleep. You can see and feel that instant connection and I fell in love with all the characters. Filled with love, conflict and drama, this is one story that will suck you in and leave you wanting more. Cannot wait to dive into the next in series.
Colin is a priest in training working towards his dedication ceremony when he meets his brother's girlfriend Sam and the sparks ignite between them.Once you suspend your thoughts on the moral obligations of someone who has vowed to live a pious life and the fact that there may be some poaching involved, this was a satisfying read. The author made a commendable effort to downplay the physicalities of human passion while ensuring that the depth of affection shone through.The gradual progression to full blown love , confirmation of their feelings and the family's response to the changing tide was surprisingly easy to accept as the novel culminated.
Series focused around a big family of brothers and sisters falling in love are hard for me to resist. This is the first in a series and does a great job of introducing all the siblings and also a really sweet story of two people falling in love when they were convinced life had other plans.

Definitely can't wait to read the rest of the series and visit the McCullough family again.

I received a dARC from the publisher; these are my honest thoughts.
I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. The main characters just didn't do it for me. The writing is good, just some of the actions/emotions were unbelievable.
LOVED the McCullough family; so many big personalities, I enjoyed feeling I was part of all that large family craziness.

The romance between Sammy and Colin was great, although I wanted to slap them both before the story ended.

This was a fun and quick read.
Lydia Michaels gives you true love and battles within ourselves with this book. It is real and it is raw. NetGalley provided ARC for an honest opinion.
Book one of The McCullough Mountain series by Lydia Michaels features Colin McCullough and Samantha “Sam” Dougherty. Colin is a man who believes he knows where he wants to go in life, the priesthood.  Sam is a college girl who comes to stay for the summer with her boyfriend Braydon who is Colin’s brother. Colin and Sam have a connection that causes Colin to question his path.
Dispute the fundamental issues of throwing stereotypes and clichés into one story there’s something about the writing that will keep a reader moving forward. This is an emotion driven story that one feels compelled to finish.
This is actually the first book in the series but I read it as the third. Really because I was once in a seminary and felt like it would hit close to home, parts of it did and other parts not so much. First Samantha goes with Brayden to his family’s home in the mountains of Pennsylvania. She goes mainly because she does not want to be home alone.
  It is the next morning that she meets Colin when he steps out of the shower without locking the door. From there the attraction between the two of them continues to grow. She tries a few times to tell Brayden she does not have feelings for him and that takes him a while to catch on.
  As things heat up between the two of them, she leaves, only to find out four months later that she is pregnant. When looking she sees in a bulletin that Collin took his last vows. When you are reading the story one issue or one of my issues is why he did not go looking for her after not taking his final vows and two how did Brayden find out where she was working, this was not explained. I did like the characters but I was glad I read the other books first before this one.
Actually a 3,5 read for me.

This is the first book in a series called McCullough Mountain and it was good so I am looking forward to read the next one soon.

The book was charming, had some "forbidden" love in it and some love scenes that wasn't really spicy but they where sweet.

The things I liked with the book was that I could hear the Irish words while I was reading, imagine their land and how a great family the McCullough seemed to be. I also was a fan of the brothers Kelly and Colin but felt a bit sorry for Braydon.

Only problem I had with it was that it was too easy sometimes to know what would happen.
Romantic fantasy, a light read for the weekend or vacation when you want to turn off your brain and abandon logic.  Family is an interesting mix of most scenarios you would find in romance novels main characters are unrealistic and sometimes annoying.  But, that given, it is fluff for fun!
I received an arc from NetGalley and this is my honest opinion.

Wow this story between Collin and Samantha is heart wrenching. Samantha goes home with her friend Braydon but finds an unexpected connection with his brother. His brother however will soon be a priest so Samantha and Collin must keep their feelings in check…. But can they their feelings?

This family is one I will want to keep reading about.
This book was read thanks to NetGalley.

i only recommend this book if you like to read when brothers are in love with the same woman, if you like me aren't fan of that trope, please skip it, it won't be your taste.
I was very intrigued by the tropes of this story (taboo romance, both MCs are virgins, small town). However, this didn't turn out to be quite what I was expecting.
Don't get me wrong, I did like Lydia Michaels' style and how she build all the characters. They actually had some depth to them (despite not being a very long book) and weren't just one-dimensional clichés.
I was really enjoying how things were developing for about 60% of the book. Though, I wasn't a big fan of that insta-lust that almost incapacitated our MCs.  But, all in all, it was a fun ride. And the intimate scenes were really hot and fun to read. Them being virgins didn't mean boring and innocent.
I don't want to spoil anything but I disliked all that happened after the 75% mark. Contained one of my least favorite trope in romances. Plus, our hero's groveling was very lacking.
I will continue with the series as I liked the characters and what the author is doing. Just not a particular fan of how this story unfolded.
Loved, loved, loved this story. Such a beautifully written story. I honestly love the forbidden love affair trope.
I'm going to be the odd one out here and say that I am not a big fan of this at all.

To be fair, I initially thought this book was promising. I was totally on board with the whole small town, taboo concept. Sadly, my love for small town romances was not enough for me to give this a glowing review.

This book revolves around Colin, an about to be ordained priest, and his forbidden romance with Samantha, a girl who his brother brings home to spend the summer with their family.

I absolutely loved Colin as a hero...at first. He started out being so sweet, and innocent which are characteristics I generally like in my heroes. But then his whole back and forth regarding his ordainment started becoming annoying. His indecision started to hurt the heroine that I ended up siding her more (not that she was a perfect character herself) and even wanted her to just give up on the hero altogether. I also personally think that the foundation for this romance was so flimsy and heavily based on lust that I don't believe all the 'I love you's' they keep throwing at each other. Not to mention the odd pacing at the end where everything happened and seemed to resolve itself in a snap of a finger.

As for the writing, there were times in this book where the imagery was so lush and beautiful that I was so compelled to read. However, there were parts where the telling outweighed the showing that I felt like the storytelling dragged.

With that rant-filled feedback, I'm so sad to say that this book isn't for me. Will I continue with series though? I'd say yes. I may not have liked this particular book but I'm oddly still interested in the rest of the series.

tw: anxiety, panic attacks, death of a child (past)
Almost Priest is the first book in the McCullough Mountain series by Lydia Michaels. This is the first book I've read by the author.
This is a favorite trope,  the taboo of it all,  lusting after an almost priest and your "boyfriends" brother.
Colin McCullough had known he wanted to be a priest since he was a boy and now two months before he's to take his holy orders he is inexplicably attracted to a woman,  but not just any woman, the one his brother brought home from college as his girlfriend.  And the attraction is not one sided. Samantha Dougherty was just hoping for a relaxing break before she finished her last few classes to obtain her degree and start teaching in the fall.  She knew her feelings for Brayden weren't going to last beyond the summer and they've got luke warm chemistry at best.  But when she stumbled upon his brother Colin just out from a shower all her girly parts stand up and cheer.  This is so unexpected and fighting the mutual attraction is impossible.  They know this really can't go further as Colin is determined to still take his vows, but sometimes what you think is simple turns into so much more.  Everything has consequences.
This was a slow build and took me a bit to get into the characters,  well worth the read and looking forward to the rest of the siblings stories.