Cover Image: My Little Brother

My Little Brother

Diane Saxon’s My Little Brother is a heart-jolting and spine-tingling thriller about twisted secrets, past demons and old ghosts that will chill readers to the bone.

It was an ordinary school day when Carys’ life changed in a heartbeat. Although she had only been ten years old, Carys had been left in charge of her little brother. But things had quickly gone awry when six year old Lloyd had vanished off the face of the earth. One minute, Lloyd had been right in front of her eyes and the next, he had disappeared. Despite of her young age, Carys had been blamed for her brother going missing and she had been sent away from everything she knew and everything that was familiar to her.

Heartbroken Carys has tried so hard to move on with her life. Yet, that fateful day lives on in her memory. Tormented by shame, regret and devastating pain, an incident in her childhood has condemned Carys to a lifetime of despair. She has spent nineteen years in exile and has spent the past two decades trapped in a prison from which there is simply no escape. Carys has never managed to shake off the guilt of Lloyd’s disappearance, but when events conspire to send her back to her childhood village in Wales, she finds herself with no choice but to return.

Carys hopes to lay old ghosts to rest, but before she can do that she must be brave and confront her own terrifying secret from that devastating day when Lloyd had gone missing…

Diane Saxon’s My Little Brother is a creepy chiller that will have readers sleeping with the lights on for weeks. A complex, eerie and disturbing thriller where nothing is quite what it seems, My Little Brother is packed with nail-biting tension, terrifying twists and turns and heart-pounding suspense. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading this book, which made me jump on more than one occasion.

An unsettling rollercoaster ride I won’t forget in a hurry, Diane Saxon’s My Little Brother is perfect for readers who like their thrillers on the scary side!
Great plot to get yourself lost in. This book has everything. A real fast paced thriller. Will get your heart racing on more than one occasion. Very well written. Highly recommend this book
Caryn's brother went missing when they were children but his body was never found. Due to being blamed, Caryn ends up living with her Grandmother until 12 years later she returns to the small Welsh village she was bought up.
This book had me in suspense the whole time and for once I didn't guess who did it. A definite must read!
This was an intricately written story of woven secrets which kept me guessing throughout - outstanding! When Caryn returned to her childhood town, memories of her little brother and his disappearance resurface, but who is keeping guilty secrets and why? Diane Saxon once again made me suspect every character at some point and gave me urgency to keep reading. Highly recommend!
When Caryn was 10 she was looking after her 6 year old brother Lloyd, she left him for a matter of minutes and when she returned he was gone.  He was never found. Caryn’s parents blamed her, the whole village blamed her so she was sent away to live with her grandmother who brought her up sent her to boarding school, gave her an education and she became a doctor.

Now 29 years after her brother’s death she starts getting letters in Welsh from someone claiming to know what happened to her brother.  She cannot resist going back to find out the truth so she can lay to rest her guilt or know for certain whether she was to blame.

She returns and is not welcomed with open arms and shortly after her arrival there is a death and another body is discovered, will she finally find out the truth, but does she really want to know the truth?
I loved the start of this book. The part on the playground between Dylan and Caryn was written superbly and I felt every bit of the young girl angst. Unfortunately that was the only part of the story that appealed to me. It was a very quick read but quite depressing I felt.
I received an ARC of this book from Boldwood Books via NetGalley. Unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority with a not stellar review. I thought this book moved really slowly and was repetitive. We know Caryn was worrying and feeling bad about her family situation, but it was repeated on basically every page. I also did not find the big reveal of the villain very plausible. On the positive side, it was interesting reading about Wales. This is only the second book I have read that is set there, but I am getting a clear picture of small, insular Welsh villages, which is interesting. I also liked that in the chapters from the villain's point of view, the author was very careful not to use gender pronouns so we really had no clues as to the person's identity.
Thank you NetGalley for providing this book for an honest review. As a mother this book is heart breaking. It was not only heart breaking for the parents but for Caryn when her little brother went missing. She has dealt with this trauma for 20 years when she receives an anonymous note saying she must come back to her home town to learn the truth. It is full of twists and the ending was definitely a shocker!! You will love this book.
This is the first time I’ve read anything by this author, but after devouring this book, I’ll definitely be looking out for future releases!

Set in rural Wales, this is a psychological crime thriller with an abundance of suspense and plenty of plot twists to keep you guessing how the series of events panned out right until the end.

I found Caryn’s character fascinating, especially as her memories resurfaced over the course of the chapters. Her treatment by the locals at ‘The Prince of Wales’ pub was depicted exactly as you’d imagine an old-school rural community to react, with gossip, resentment and ostracising in abundance. It certainly makes the reader empathetic to her situation!

The portrayal of Caryn’s mother and the development of her story across the narrative was also cleverly woven and while there were hints at the truth throughout, the true picture added real perspective as to how and why events had taken the turns they did.

As for the rest, you’ll have to read for yourself as it’s difficult to reveal more without giving too much away!

A gripping read and highly recommended!

With thanks to the author, Rachel at Random Resources and Boldwood Books for the opportunity to participate in the tour.
Well Diane Saxon is an author that really doesn’t disappoint. This is a book I have been excited about since I saw it announced.

I have devoured this in just one sitting and this is quite possibly my favourite book by Saxon yet. This is gripping and will keep you on the edge of your seat.

This is perfectly paced and well plotted, definitely a book I have been unable to put down. This is unlike anything I’ve read previously.

I loved this one, I cannot say anything negative about this one- it’s gripping, will send chills down your spine and keep you on edge. I have devoured this and already eagerly excited to see what might be coming next.

This is a superb read and a must for the TBR.
I was lucky to receive an advance copy of My Little Brother by Diane Saxon from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review and opinion.  Buckle up as this is another thrilling read. I could NOT put this book down and stayed up way past my bedtime to finish it.  Absolutely full of suspense and so many surprises! I promise the ending will leave you speechless!  Do yourself a big favor and read this ASAP!
Wow as a fan of
This authors books I couldn’t wait to read
This was a fabulous psychological thriller which kept me guessing all the way through.  This was a story of secrets and lies and how the truth always comes out in the end.

This would make a fabulous tv dramatisation
Wow, this is an outstanding psychological thriller, I just couldn’t put it down!

Caryn returns to the small town where she grew up, and right from the start the creepy atmosphere is set. The weather is awful, and the locals are very suspicious of her.

There are so many mysteries to unravel in this book. Who has written to Caryn to call her back here and who is the mystery narrator who is clearly up to no good?

With a dual timeline and a fast paced narrative, this book had me totally hooked. I really needed to know what had happened to Lloyd all those years ago, and who now means to harm Caryn.

There are some shocking twists and turns in this book, and it’s completely compelling reading.

Anyone who loves a good psychological thriller that will make your heart pound will love this, and I can’t recommend it enough.
Thank you #NetGalley,  #MyLittleBrother and Publisher, #Boldwood#Books for the opportunity to read an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This is the first book I've read by author, Diane Saxon and if her other books are all as good as this it certainly won't be the last.  I found it totally compelling, suspenseful, mesmerizing a truly addictive thriller!

A fantastic plot full of twists and turns, complex characters with one shocking ending!  If you love psychological thrillers you will LOVE this 5 star read.
Reading Between the Wines book review #63/135 for 2022:
Rating: 4 🍷 🍷 🍷 🍷
Book 🎧: My Little Brother
Author: Diane Saxon
Genre: General Fiction (Adult) | Mystery & Thrillers
Available now!

Sipping thoughts: This was a sad, tough, emotional but thrilling read. Caryn’s brother goes missing when he was in her care. She has been the one to blame for the last 20 years. The book jumps back and forth to a current vs. 20 years ago timeline. In the present, the mystery of missing 6-year-old Lloyd is solved and boy did I not guess what really happened to Lloyd. To say it was a sad reveal is an understatement. As an educator, I really appreciated Saxon’s true depiction of Asperger’s and the struggles family and friends go through when a loved one is diagnosed. This my first book by this author but I do not expect it to be my last.

Cheers and thank you to @NetGalley and @BoldwoodBooks for an advance copy of @MyLittleBrother.

#MyLittleBrother #DianeSaxon #BoldwoodBooks #NetGalley #advancedreadercopy #ARC #Kindle #Booksofinstagram #readersofinstagram #bookstagram #nicoles_bookcellar #bookworm #bookdragon #booknerd #booklover #bookstagrammer #bookaholic #bookreview #bookreviewer #IHaveNoShelfControl #ReadingBetweenTheWines #fiction #thriller #suspense #mystery #MysteryAndThrillers #GeneralFictionAdult
Switching from twenty years ago to now, this book tells of the day Caryn's autistic brother disappeared without trace, how she was blamed, and finally what actually happened that day. Lots of dark moments, nasty locals, and unexpected revelations. Sadly I found it all quite depressing with very few lighter or happier moments to balance out the bleak.
Caryn was 10 years old whet her younger brother, Lloyd, 6 years old Asperger, disappears while he was under her care. Ten years old when her aprents sent her away, unable to even look at her for loosing their son. Now, 20 years later, Caryn is summoned back to her hometown by a mysterious note saying thew know wherer Lloyd is.
This thriller is told in a dual time line that is easy to follow. However, it pained me to read entire chapters in italics. There are other less annoying ways to mark that the chapter is in the past. It was super predictable, and there were too many detours. I also couldn't relate to the characters. The premise was really good, and if you don't read as many thrillers as I do, therefore can predict most of the twists, maybe you will love this dark and twisted psychological thriller.
I received an advance review copy for free from NetGalley and Boldwood Books, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
This book was tragically heart-breaking - 20 years ago when Caryn was 10 years old her younger brother went missing whilst she was supposed to be looking after him, everyone blamed her for losing sight of him and when her mother basically gave her the cold shoulder her father sent her away to live her grandmother. She hasn't been back home to Wales since she was sent away, but now she has been drawn back on the 20 year anniversary with an anonymous note saying that the truth must come out.

I loved the authors use of flashback chapters for Caryn as she struggles to unlock memories from that dreadful day, there were little fragments floating just out of her reach, but as the book progresses the puzzle pieces start to click into place and when Caryn finally makes the last piece fit her whole world comes crashing down for a second time!

Wow that moment when it all came together I was just shocked and I really felt for Caryn, she went through so much the day her brother went missing but to live through the truth of what happened that day just broke my heart.

Brilliant 5 star read!
I love this authors books anyway

This was another easy to read that had me gripped to the edge of the seat from the beginning.

Loved it
Caryn is reeling from the loss of her brother. When she was 10 and he was 6, he disappeared when she turned her back for a second. She was cast out of her home and made to live with a grandma she didn't know, never having contact with her parents again.
One day she receives a secretive letter calling her home. Caryn wonders if its finally time to reconcile with her parents and wonders if she'll finally find out what happened to Lloyd.
This is quite an emotional rollercoaster, so much hurt and hatred, especially by those that are supposed to love you most.
There is the small town mistrust, ignorance and long held beliefs clouding sense.
As the secrets start to be revealed its clear someone doesn't want the truth coming out.
There are some brilliant tense moments, that made my heart pound.
The last third of the book is full on, as secret after secret is uncovered and Caryn finally starts to remember details of that fateful day, until bam, you get thrown sideways.
It was lovely to read that after being disowned by her own family, Caryn had a family in Dylan, Beryl and Tom, a place you can call feel comfortable even though it's not home. I love that. (The fact the characters are named after my grandparents made it a little more special, they are exactly like that, something Diane didn't know when she wrote the book)
Dylan sounded amazing, wanted to reach in the book and shake Caryn and say for goodness sake this guy loves you, can you sort it out lol.