Cover Image: A Smile in Your Pocket

A Smile in Your Pocket

This book is a wonderful resource for children in today's world. Anxieties are so much higher with COVID and all the changes children have to face. The book is written in verse which great for young children, but I wish the rhythm was more consistent. I found myself getting hung up on certain sentences throughout the story.

I also wish there was a little more explanation for words young children won't understand such as anxiety, unease and stressed. A book character their age experiencing these big, confusing emotions is so needed because children don't understand what they are feeling. To describe them using big adult words makes the story less relatable than I would like. With that said, I love that the author shows how the young boy's mood changes and how the big feelings affect his behavior and attitude.

I also love the resources at the end of the book to help children with change and anxiety. Overall, I think this would be a great addition to any classroom, counselor's office, or home with young children.

I received an ARC of this book for an honest review.
Author Jarrod Zayas worked with a child therapist to develop and write A Smile in Your Pocket. This story brings an expert's perspective along with cute illustrations and easy to read text to tell the tale of big feelings that might bring us down. A powerful tale about how to overcome negative emotions and how positive thinking can be a great coping strategy when anxiety and sadness get overwhelming.

Mile wakes up and the whole day seems gloomy, but why? He is having a hard time processing why this day feels so different than all the others. Things in his community seem different. Even school sends him into a tailspin of anxiety. His observant teacher, Ms. Franklin, notices that Miles is struggling and teaches him about how to handle these big feelings and worries. Miles learns that change happens and it is okay. Embracing change with a positive attitude and a smile can make things turn out much better in the long run. He also learned about bringing happiness to others by sharing smiles.

This story was both entertaining and educational, which can be a tricky balance to maintain in a children’s book, and I will be suggesting it to teachers whenever possible. Incorporating social-emotional skills and topics such as this into children's picture books is a tried and true way to teach an important life skill in a way that is fun. This would be an amazing addition for classroom libraries, counselling offices and more.
This was a sweet message on how to get past a gloomy day. The art style was perfect for a kid's book too. All of my kids wanted to read it multiple times.
Thank you to NetGalley and Paw Prints for the opportunity to read and review this book.

This is the perfect book for children and adults. A lot of children don’t understand what anxiety or stress is exactly. They may not know how to put into words how they are feeling. This book, and many others like it, can help so much. I believe A Smile in Your Pocket needs to be in all school libraries and read to children, in a classroom setting. Even with their parents, so if the kids have questions the Parents can answer them.

I have many friends who I will recommend this book to.

I received this ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
This was a great book for any teacher wanting to build up their social-emotional learning resource library! The story was relatable to children and the extension activity at the back of the book will help drive a lesson. This is also a great choice for parents who want to help their children learn to deal with stress and anxiety.
A good story to teach children that while change may be scary it is not necessarily bad.

I loved the idea of putting drawn smiles in your pocket to give others when you don’t feel like smiling.  This book and the subsequent craft of making smiles are going to be great with my grandkids.  I only wish this had been published two years ago when children were wearing masks to school, and their smiles could not be seen.

I received an ARC from Paw Prints Publishing through NetGalley.  This in no way affects my opinion or rating of this book.  I am voluntarily submitting this review and am under no obligation to do s
Thank you so much Baker and Taylor / Paw Prints Publishing and Netgalley for the ebook to read and review.

Miles is sad and anxious, things in his everyday life have changed and people seem sadder now. Then he gets to school and his anxiety peaks as there are new classroom rules he has to follow.

This was seriously such a sad story right from the start and it made me feel sad reading it. Miles wasn’t used to the changes and so having so many in such a short time was overwhelming for his mind to deal with.

His teacher was wonderful and so caring, she didn’t like having to put the new rules into place but she had too. She really cared for her children and did everything she could to make it fun and when she noticed Miles, she found a way to make him happier and understand what was going on. It was really sweet.

This is a perfect book for changes, to help with a child that is struggling and is getting mentally drained due to these changes. The messages are important in this book and can help an adult guide a child through a hard change and mental struggles and put them at a bit of ease.

This was really well written and was very delicately explained, it was really sad but really sweet and I liked the gentleness of the story and how the issues were approached.
During these times of uncertainty we need books like this to assist in communication with children. The main character, Miles', anxiety builds throughout the story but supportive adults give him constructive ways to cope with what he can't control. A great addition to every classroom library.
I love this. Everyone needs to learn how to cope with change. I wish there were more books like this when I was younger. This book will be a great spark for conversations in classrooms or at home about routines changing, feeling anxious, following rules/cues, and dealing with all of the negative emotions that come with those things. Highly recommend.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an eARC. All opinions are my own.
This is a wonderful heartwarming book for kids struggling with changes in their lives.  It's oftentimes hard to accept new ways of doing things which cause little ones to feel sad, uncertain and scared.

The adorable illustrations and positive message of the rhyming text is sure to be a comfort to those feeling confused and unhappy about their changing circumstances.

The book assures Miles, a sweet little boy, that it's okay to feel uncomfortable and anxious because adults have those same feelings too sometimes. With support from his family and his caring teacher he is lifted out his sadness and taught how to always have a smile ready to help him cope and feel better.  It is a beautiful life lesson that he eagerly shares with those around him, even with Daisy, the dog.

The illustrations greatly enrich the storyline.  They are expressive, colourful and relatable.  At the end of the book are tips by Dr. Kaia Calbeck, a clinical psychologist with a practice based in Miami, Florida.  They will help children deal with the anxiety of a change.  This segment will be very helpful to a parent, caregiver or educator.  The book addresses topics of coping with change and managing the negative emotions surrounding circumstances that unexpectedly occur in life.  I highly recommend this book.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Very cute book about how little Miles adapts to change in his community and in his classroom. This will help children realize that change is ok and that not everything is a routine. Also, that it is ok if things change.
I love the simplicity with which these professionals provide guidance to help children with change. I’ll be sure to implement some of these tips in my family!
A smile in Your Pocket by Jarrod Zayas is a book about the changing world. The changing world is about change and helping children cope with change. It is difficult for all of us to cope with change like we went through with the pandemic but this book helps children cope with those changes through brightly colored pictures and the facts that the people are not as friendly as they used to be.
It warmed my heart; I enjoyed the story, and the illustrations are adorable. A Smile in Your Pocket combines sweet art and rhythmic text to tell a charming story about combating negative emotions and the power of positivity.
This was a very sweet story and I enjoyed reading it to my son and daughter. My son is 4 and loved the smiles in your pocket idea for the adults in his life. The layout of the kindle e book was pretty atrocious and there is a line missing when the teacher is speaking but as a book this will be a fantastic read for all kids!
This book is about coping with change or new routines by teaching the importance of combatting negative thoughts or emotions with positivity and the support of a trusted adult. The rhyming text is soothing and the story is simple and easy to follow. The message is clear early on, that it is ok to feel uncomfortable and anxious but that there are also things that you can do and support adults can give to help you feel better. I recommend this book to parents and teachers of children, especially those who are anxious, in the age 3-8 range. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book!
This put a huge smile on my face :)
Being kind to each other can be as simple as a smile.
It did/does get tricky with covid and having certain rules to follow etc..
But that doesn't mean we cannot express joy in other ways.
Changes are not easy for anyone, not just kids.. adults too.
Was so good a read as I am undergoing changes too and this helped.
Miles is not having a happy day; everything is wrong and Miles is anxious, confused, and stressed. Thankfully, a teacher sees his struggle, communicates with him, relates to his experience, and is able to share a way to acknowledge but lift his spirits!

This book was lovely. It was written along with a child therapist, and at the end of the book there's a page on children and coping with change which I'm sure will be beneficial to parents who may not have already had the opportunity to grow their knowledge on the subject.

I'd definitely recommend this to parents and teachers alike!

*I obtained a copy of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Adorable story with a very relatable message for children of all ages. The wording and pictures (especially the cute rhyming) made me smile. I would absolutely read to my class about how sometimes change can be necessary but it doesn’t always mean it has to be scary.
I think this one may have just missed its prime time.

It would been great in 2020 or even 2021, but at this point it feels dated and not as applicable.